Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
New trailer for Black Mass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLDjqLbh09E

Looks good, hell of a cast, but I still think Depp's makeup would look a million times better without those awful contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Whenever I see a flash of Cumberbatch in those things I wonder what on earth he's doing there. Lot of Brits in the Bulger story?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Is it :mediocre: or do I get to go to Valhalla?

:mediocre:

You take 25 seconds to start the trailer, use bad shots throughout, use a very low key loving voice over for an intense movie, and finally completely lost my interest around 50 seconds because nothing's going on. I don't know if it got better after the minute mark, but the fact that I don't care is proof that you failed.

edit: look at how much ground the original trailer covers in the time it takes you to start the voice over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdv5EtZQ6jg

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 23, 2015

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ouch tell me how you really feel.

bruckner
Sep 11, 2010
I don't know if anybody is talking about kubrick lately for any reason, but here is a very condensed eyes wide shut with curb your enthusiasm music

forgot to mention, this is NSFW:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGewOhOxYg

bruckner fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 25, 2015

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
POINT BREAK (:wtc:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncvFAm4kYCo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

XXX already did this better and that was a long time ago.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We lost the trailer to this pos.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Swayze and Keanu already did this better and that was a long time ago.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 27, 2015

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Is the movie really tinted green that hard or is it just the trailer?

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

I wonder if teenagers will think this is a Fast and the Furious ripoff.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

This trailer felt too long so my condolences to the movie.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Not gonna lie, extreme sports have grown a lot in 30 years and I am entirely down to see that in theaters. Then again, I have a thing for wingsuits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

XXX already did this better and that was a long time ago.

I think its more going after all that F&F money.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

muscles like this? posted:

I think its more going after all that F&F money.

No Dwayne Johnson. No Vin Diesel. No F&F money.

A Dwayne Johnson / Vin Diesel Point Break would own.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
To be honest, the original has aged really poorly, and there's potential for pushing the modern era of extreme sports action. The leads seem really humourless and dull in this though, and the color grading makes it look like a DTV movie shot in Bulgaria.

Edit: It's also extremely distracting that they have the guy in Keanu's role wearing a Patrick Swayze haircut

bullet3 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 27, 2015

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hat Thoughts posted:

This trailer felt too long so my condolences to the movie.

For a movie that is supposed to be about XTREME SPORTS CRIMINALS that was a very dull and un-thrilling trailer.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bullet3 posted:

To be honest, the original has aged really poorly, and there's potential for pushing the modern era of extreme sports action. The leads seem really humourless and dull in this though, and the color grading makes it look like a DTV movie shot in Bulgaria.

Edit: It's also extremely distracting that they have the guy in Keanu's role wearing a Patrick Swayze haircut

The gently caress it has! I just watched it the other day and despite having a penchant for being really averse to how movies age, I was actually surprised it aged so well.

That backyard chase scene is actually super well done compared to modern-cut action movies.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
The cinematography looks nice-ish, but the blank slates that they have droning out the dialogue couldn't be less interesting unless they were actual cardboard cut-outs.

The original film isn't any earth shattering masterpiece but that thing was dull looking.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

BonoMan posted:

The gently caress it has! I just watched it the other day and despite having a penchant for being really averse to how movies age, I was actually surprised it aged so well.

That backyard chase scene is actually super well done compared to modern-cut action movies.

Ehhh. It's an ok action movie with 1 or 2 decent set-pieces. Kathryn Bigelow was obsessed with POV shots back then (see Strange Days), which are distracting and can't help but remind you of 90s FMV games.

The foot-chase and the sky-diving sequences are really good, and Patrick Swayze and Gary Busey are great. Keanu is terrible in it, and the "cool" surfer culture is laughable and lame.
Even in the realm of early 90s action movies it's pretty forgettable, not even remotely in the same league as a Total Recall or Terminator 2 or Last Boyscout.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Judging from the trailer, the extreeeme sports angle seems really shoehorned. In the original point break, they were mostly adrenaline junkies who also did robberies in their spare time. Here it seems like they are doing extreme sports while robbing things which just seems so much more forced.

Also, the trailer music is some uninspired bulllshit. BWWOOOOOM BWWOOOOM

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
No scene where Johnny Utah unloads a gun into the air on a beach whilst screaming?

No dice.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Gonz posted:

No scene where Johnny Utah unloads a gun into the air on a beach whilst screaming?

No dice.

It's in the L.A. River, poser

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

morestuff posted:

It's in the L.A. River, poser

Oh loving hell, it HAS been a long time since i've seen that movie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, that color grading is just painful to look at.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
I'm not familiar with Luke Bracey, but going by that trailer he may well be the least interesting actor currently working.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

FoneBone posted:

I'm not familiar with Luke Bracey, but going by that trailer he may well be the least interesting actor currently working.

That's a funny way to spell Jai Courtney.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dillbag posted:

That's a funny way to spell Jai Courtney.

At least Jai Courtney was kind of interesting in Jack Reacher.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

DivisionPost posted:

At least Jai Courtney was kind of interesting in Jack Reacher.

Ughhhh not even Jack Reacher was interesting in Jack Reacher. In fact, that movie made Werner Herzog lovely and uninteresting, and that's a goddamn feat! Robert Duvall was the only good part of that film.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

That's really loving bad, all I could think is this looks super loving dull watching this trailer.

What is it with Hollywood and not understand what makes nostalgia properties is the nostalgia

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

No Dwayne Johnson. No Vin Diesel. No F&F money.

A Dwayne Johnson / Vin Diesel Point Break would own.

Why haven't these two made a giant swords and sandals Sci-Fi epic. It seems right up their alleys.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Well, Vin gets to use a flaming sword as The Last Witch Hunter...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

sbaldrick posted:

Why haven't these two made a giant swords and sandals Sci-Fi epic. It seems right up their alleys.

Vin Diesel did, he made Chronicles of Riddick that is, for all intents and purposes, Space Conan.

Everyone thought it was dumb (except me, of course)

Rock did Scorpion King.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Vin Diesel did, he made Chronicles of Riddick that is, for all intents and purposes, Space Conan.

Rock did Scorpion King.

I think he means together.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well you and that one guy with the VHS player.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BonoMan posted:

I did mean together.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gonz posted:

No dice.

This scene totally exists and was immediately banned from the marketing. It's a re-imagining, people. C'mon!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^You mean this new Point Break has the new Johnny actually doing the gun thing on a beach? Did they not want marketing to give away that epic scene?

Well at least it's not a straight remake. Interesting choice making the antagonists the good guys.

Hell of a Heath Ledger lookalike though.

BonoMan posted:

Hercules meets Riddick. I'd be there day 1.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
No Nixon/Reagan/Clinton/W masks, no buy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I actually burst out laughing when the did the wingsuit thing. Flying squirrels are so EXTREME

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeesh, that color grading is just painful to look at.

It looks so bad, like it makes the film actually look kind of disgusting somehow.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
In an era where Warren Miller's been around since the 80s, why on Earth would I want to watch people doing fake extreme sports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Kull the Conqueror posted:

In an era where Warren Miller's been around since the 80s, why on Earth would I want to watch people doing fake extreme sports?

it pains me to say that all the stunts are real. They have a whole sizzle reel about it.

• Locked thread