Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pwn posted:

Agreed, also they get married by Todd? All these people have been in the same "school" for 6 years and ugh. This place is a cult. No wait, it's the world's laziest writers.

That's been a theme of the season: these people never escape. Once you start at Greendale, you stay until you die. And at some point, you either go crazy and become part of the backdrop (like Todd) or you accept that you're stuck and you become an alcoholic (like Jeff) or revert into immaturity (like Britta, Annie).

Or you could just approach watching the show as not a goon and enjoy it for what it is, which is much better TV than is currently airing on network television. Agh, I watched about 60 seconds of a CBS show after they stopped their live weather coverage. It was terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

kayakyakr posted:

That's been a theme of the season: these people never escape. Once you start at Greendale, you stay until you die. And at some point, you either go crazy and become part of the backdrop (like Todd) or you accept that you're stuck and you become an alcoholic (like Jeff) or revert into immaturity (like Britta, Annie).
Or escape via death or pirate adventure (Pierce, Troy.) But I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks.

And to be fair here, the show's entire existence has been predicated upon its "goon" fanbase. People who just happened to have the TV tuned to NBC aren't the same ones going to Yahoo! to watch season 6 of Community.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
At no point did I even begin to wonder why Todd was the one marrying them. I'm not sure what that means but I like it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i actually just graduated from a cc, our student speaker at commencement was graduating after having been there for 6 years.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Yeah, for some reason I found that off-putting.

Rest of the ep was great, though.

Like the episode with Spencer, they gave her a role that didn't ask for too much. Didn't seem to matter one way or the other.

What's the point of running a multi-million dollar show if you can't get your friends and family SAG cards?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

pwn posted:

Or escape via death or pirate adventure (Pierce, Troy.) But I hadn't picked up on that. Thanks.

And to be fair here, the show's entire existence has been predicated upon its "goon" fanbase. People who just happened to have the TV tuned to NBC aren't the same ones going to Yahoo! to watch season 6 of Community.

Yeah, that was the first part of it, stay until you die.

Troy is currently the communiverse's version of schrodinger's cat. He may have escaped Greendale and he may be still alive, but if they ever confirm that he is still alive, then he will not have escaped Greendale.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I actually felt that this one was too much cringe comedy on the part of the gang making asses of themselves, but I enjoyed the rest of the episode and loved the tag.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

When did Todd break bad? I remember him as meek, decent foil to the group but this season he's basically Chang 2.0 ?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Kuiperdolin posted:

When did Todd break bad? I remember him as meek, decent foil to the group but this season he's basically Chang 2.0 ?

I finally realized who Todd reminds me of in this episode, and it had been nagging me ever since his first appearance.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I actually felt that this one was too much cringe comedy on the part of the gang making asses of themselves, but I enjoyed the rest of the episode and loved the tag.

That's part of what I liked about it, because I think the characters have been pretty unlikable for a while now and it's nice to see the show admitting it. The study group acting horribly was almost like a really tame version of the gang from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for a bit there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

therobotking posted:

At no point did I even begin to wonder why Todd was the one marrying them. I'm not sure what that means but I like it.

Yeah, that was my thought. Of course Todd is a minister of some sort. Why wouldn't he be?

Why couldn't he be god, for that matter?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HD DAD posted:

I finally realized who Todd reminds me of in this episode, and it had been nagging me ever since his first appearance.

holy poo poo

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
We've had Spencer, Kumail, and Eren.

Jeff Davis better be the antagonist of the movie.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Did the fake Dan Harmon remind anyone of this? I kind of wish he had lines though.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Kuiperdolin posted:

Todd's very first appearance.

Seriously, he came in as a sane person, normal guy with a family and an unflappable optimism, and in that episode the group ruined that. This was further influenced by the mock trial of Basic Lupine Urology. Continued over the years with him gradually falling in line with the wackiness that abounded. He's had more lines this year than any since season 3, which is good because I like crazy Todd.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

pwn posted:

Besides that it was enjoyable. Just getting tired of checklist seasons ("mockumentary," check. "paintball," check. "good original episode"... "good original episode," where's the "good original episode?" *entire writing staff and Harmon all shrug in comically exaggerated fashion*)

edit: I can't seem to remove an attachment from post. It's only 2015 after all

edit 2: I invite others to actually debate the merits of the episode based on the criticisms raised, rather than deflect like petulant children. ARE YOU BAD ENOUGH DUDES TO ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE

Isn't it more important to worry about the quality of the execution rather than what style of comedy they are using? Imagine criticizing the Office for only making mockumentary episodes.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

KVeezy3 posted:

Isn't it more important to worry about the quality of the execution rather than what style of comedy they are using? Imagine criticizing the Office for only making mockumentary episodes.

My favorite line of the episode, "Don't Jim the camera, Annie"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I could see it getting annoying if the episode was ho-hum and existed for the sake of "oh look another documentary episode", but it was legit fantastic.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The documentaries are generally some of my least favourite episodes but I thought this one was great. It wasn't really 'about' the documentary, it just happened to be shot in that style and they used it to good effect for a couple jokes. I liked that it had a focused plot and wasn't just meandering with the group talking about themselves and then eventually resolving to be better in some nebulous terms. The twist at the end was foreshadowed with the earlier confusion with Britta and Frankie about who the old lady was.

Also the tags this season have been really fantastic even in the weaker episodes.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Next week's finale will just be a 23-minute tag, and it will be the greatest episode of television in history.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pretty sure is gonna suck to avoid breaking Community finale presidence.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

pwn posted:

You can also escape by moving to a new state (Shirley); you've gotta put at least a thousand miles between you and Greendale or it'll suck you right back in.

Anyway, I liked the new episode. Chang saved Garret. :unsmith:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Pretty sure is gonna suck to avoid breaking Community finale presidence.

season 3 had a really good one, as i recall

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cake Attack posted:

season 3 had a really good one, as i recall

Yep. It was so definitive that seasons 4-6 feel like a weird afterlife version of the show.

Season 4 is definitely purgatory.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
This clip keeps running through my head every time I see another lovely/unfunny episode of this garbage season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x48Hq9F4Q70

Fans: Was that really necessary?
Dan Harmon: You have to defile Community completely or it'll come back to life. You know that.

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 27, 2015

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Pick posted:

That was the best tag they've ever done.

It was pretty amazing. The episode itself had its ups and downs for me -- as someone else said, a bit more cringe humor than Community usually goes for -- but it was worth it for the tag. (They've had tags about other TV shows, but was that the first tag that actually acknowledged Community itself as a show?)

onefish fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 27, 2015

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

This clip keeps running through my head every time I see another lovely/unfunny episode of this garbage season

So it's run through your head once? No times at all?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This episode was really good and really funny and I really liked it but it did not feel like Community at all to me. Which isn't a criticism because I enjoyed it, but just something I noticed. If season 5 was slightly different from the previous Harmon seasons in tone, this episode was like we followed that trend but skipped ahead to about season 9.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't understand why people so badly want the show to be like season 2 or 3. Shows change over time you guys, and it's a friggin comedy for christ's sake! The jokes are funny, who cares if Abed's characterization is slightly different each season, or if they use the documentary thing a few times? It's not a reused joke, it's a reused episode setting, who cares? Maybe I'm not cool enough to care so much about a couple seasons of a TV comedy so much that I hate everything else, I dunno.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

HD DAD posted:

Really?

I've been getting a young Donny Osmond vibe from him.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
God that felt like an episode of It's Always Sunny. That was so good.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

teamcharlie posted:

This clip keeps running through my head every time I see another lovely/unfunny episode of this garbage season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x48Hq9F4Q70

Fans: Was that really necessary?
Dan Harmon: You have to defile Community completely or it'll come back to life. You know that.

Your entire posting history is you bitching like a little fuckface about this show. Is this a gimmick or is your life so full of free time that you can play a character who shits up threads about decent TV shows?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I love how quickly Abed started essentially teleporting around the wedding. He was constantly filming entire conversations using multiple angles and not appearing where he should have been.

Also, for anyone who wants to see more of Todd as a minister, he has an old Youtube series called God's House that is pretty great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn6Zbe3xeII

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Anyway, I liked the new episode. Chang saved Garret. :unsmith:

Did he?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Ken Jeong is really nailing Chang's earnestness this season. The dopey smile on his face when he says, "I like this group. I'm at my best when I'm with you guys." was just too much.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Martman posted:

I love how quickly Abed started essentially teleporting around the wedding. He was constantly filming entire conversations using multiple angles and not appearing where he should have been.

Yeah, it was only acknowledged once that he had more than one person on his crew, but it still had the teleporting voice (Annie's home video).

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Another mockumentary episode definitely put me off at first, but that was great. Paget Brewster's deadpan game was Andre Braugher-tier golden, and Chang made me laugh for the first time in like 3 seasons

ricro fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 27, 2015

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I felt almost the opposite. It did have codependence/bottle episode/we all kind of hate each other because we are like family elements. But it also had really good "this is why we spend time together, because we are really good friends inventing silly games and having a wonderful time" bits. And in the end they sort of ruined the wedding, but it sort of wasn't there fault. It was ruined to begin with and they saved it.

I basically died laughing during the entire "I encourage white people" bit.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

With the frequent drops of Frankie being possibly gay, I'm maybe picking up some tension between her and Annie. They've had a few scenes where they just hang out one on one and bond, it'd be cool if that was building to something.

[Insert Pierce/Abed video from season two here].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loving loved the encouraging white people bit. He loving nails it, too.

• Locked thread