Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not sure why it matters, but for one thing it'd be nice to know the name of the song that's playing.

It would be cool if active notifications could have play music added to show this type of info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Doctor Butts posted:

It would be cool if active notifications could have play music added to show this type of info.

I long for this feature as well.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Looks like Sony backpeddled and are relaunching the Z4 as the Z3+.

It was Z4 only in Japan. That it will be called Z3+ outside Japan was known since the announcement.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

MikusR posted:

It was Z4 only in Japan. That it will be called Z3+ outside Japan was known since the announcement.

Don't remember anyone reporting that.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Looks like Sony backpeddled and are relaunching the Z4 as the Z3+.

With the only changes being a flapless usb port, slimmer profile, and internal upgrades, I can see why they did it that way. The Z2 was more of a Z1+, after all. It makes no sense why it's still called the Z4 in Japan though.

I'm a bit disappointed that there was no mention of a Z4C, but not surprised.

Edit:Z3C+,even.

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 26, 2015

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

My N5 nearly froze twice today. Unlike before it recovered relatively quickly both times but it still happened at all. So much for "fixing" the memory bug.

/e: Sorry, talking about the 5.1.1 update

Sereri fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 26, 2015

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Ok Goons, help me make up my mind.

I'm in the Uk.
I want to replace my nexus 4 as I've bashed it to pieces.
I want a replacement that isn't phablet sized.
I want a replacement that isn't full of the manufaturers bulllshit apps.
If i have to go with the last but one generation, thats cool.
I will be buying out right as gently caress paying over the odds for a new phone.

From what I can see I am pretty much limited to the nexus 5 unless I have missed something.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

notaspy posted:

I'm in the Uk.
I will be buying out right as gently caress paying over the odds for a new phone.

From what I can see I am pretty much limited to the nexus 5 unless I have missed something.

Moto X 2014, or get a loaner / cheap phone or something until the Moto X 2015 or Nexus 5 2015 are available.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 2 hours!)

notaspy posted:

I'm in the Uk.

The 5 is pretty big. Any reason you couldn't grab a Moto X or G?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Boozie posted:

What case and/or screen protector do I want for an S6?

I have an Otterbox Commuter and would recommend it.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

uninterrupted posted:

The 5 is pretty big. Any reason you couldn't grab a Moto X or G?

Rastor posted:

Moto X 2014, or get a loaner / cheap phone or something until the Moto X 2015 or Nexus 5 2015 are available.

I wasn't aware of the Moto X as an option in the UK, just to confirm it doesn't get hosed up with silly moto apps? I'll have a look. Ty Goons.

edit: When are we expecting the 2015 mtoto x?

notaspy fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 26, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

notaspy posted:

I wasn't aware of the Moto X as an option in the UK, just to confirm it doesn't get hosed up with silly moto apps? I'll have a look. Ty Goons.
Yes, it is an option in the UK.

It has Moto tweaks / apps but they are optional.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Sereri posted:

My N5 nearly froze twice today. Unlike before it recovered relatively quickly both times but it still happened at all. So much for "fixing" the memory bug.

/e: Sorry, talking about the 5.1.1 update

Did you check your system RAM usage?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Wife smashed her TMO 2013 Moto G. Should she get a 2014 G or a 2014 E? The lack of LTE on the G sucks, but the processor and camera are better. The camera is a factor because we take a lot of photos of the kids. The main thing that worries me is the E's lack of an LED flash.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

Wife smashed her TMO 2013 Moto G. Should she get a 2014 G or a 2014 E? The lack of LTE on the G sucks, but the processor and camera are better. The camera is a factor because we take a lot of photos of the kids. The main thing that worries me is the E's lack of an LED flash.
Moto G: $179.00

ASUS ZenFone 2: $199.00

Worth considering, I think.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
I just bought a Zenfone 2 (the 2 gb one) and while it's an amazing phone for the price it's also full of bloatware, like holy poo poo, over 50% of my RAM is being eaten away by the stupidest apps.

Is there a list somewhere of everything I can disable without making a mess? App names are misleading or ambiguous. This would be a big quality of life improvement.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Kawabata posted:

I just bought a Zenfone 2 (the 2 gb one) and while it's an amazing phone for the price it's also full of bloatware, like holy poo poo, over 50% of my RAM is being eaten away by the stupidest apps.

Is there a list somewhere of everything I can disable without making a mess? This would be a big quality of life improvement.

According to the Anandtech review, "ASUS has shoved the worst offending apps into a folder called Apps4U, and made them all uninstallable." As a general guideline, if it seems like an app, it's usually safe to disable, while if it seems like a service / background task, disabling it may potentially cause issues.

You can try starting off with the Apps4U folder and then if you want to clear off more, just disable one more thing each morning; that way if something goes haywire it should be obvious which dependency you just disabled that was responsible.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

notaspy posted:

I'm in the Uk.

Z3C?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I love my Z3C, though there are a few Sony apps that are not much use if you don't own a bunch of Sony stuff, such as the PS4 integration. Walkman (now called 'Music') is great though and the camera is pretty ace.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cozmosis posted:

Don't remember anyone reporting that.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z4_to_launch_internationally_as_xperia_z3-news-12075.php <- April 28
http://mobile-review.com/articles/2015/facts-sony-xperia-z3-plus.shtml <- April 21

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

FistEnergy posted:

Rastor posted:

Moto G: $179.00

ASUS ZenFone 2: $199.00

Worth considering, I think.

Yes, this. The only downside is (possibly) the size, but buying a Moto G at this point (either one, they both have the same processor/ram) is pretty insane. Hopefully the Moto G 2015 that's been rumored to have a snapdragon 610 and 2GB of RAM will be out soon. The Zenfone2 will probably still beat it in several areas, but things will at least be a bit more competitive.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

NonzeroCircle posted:

Walkman (now called 'Music') is great though and the camera is pretty ace.

I also love my Z3C, but I have to disagree on this part. I kind of froze Walkman out of hand, given that I was already very happy with my 3rd party music app. The camera, though, is inexcusable. Given how many other devices use an identical sensor, the performance should be identical to them, or at least comparable. I'd rather have Sony allow 3rd party apps full control of the camera post-processing, that way I could freeze the default camera app, and lock the camera shortcut to Camera FV-5.

Of course, this will never happen, because being different from other OEM's is the most important thing ever, even if it comes at the cost of the user experience.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

hooah posted:

For some reason, the sound I've been using for email notifications for years (previously on a Nexus 4) seems to be cut off at the beginning on my 2nd gen Moto X. That is, it sounds like the first few dozen milliseconds are cut off, giving a very sharp start to the sound. It happens with both the file that came with the phone and the file copied from my N4. What's going on?

Firmware error, I think. Might be fixed when 5.1 hits (it hit for US Cellular so the rest of the XT109#s are probably soon) but we'll have to wait to hear from them or to use it ourselves.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Firmware error, I think. Might be fixed when 5.1 hits (it hit for US Cellular so the rest of the XT109#s are probably soon) but we'll have to wait to hear from them or to use it ourselves.

Oh, good to know. Now to wait for Verizon, joy...

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, this. The only downside is (possibly) the size, but buying a Moto G at this point (either one, they both have the same processor/ram) is pretty insane. Hopefully the Moto G 2015 that's been rumored to have a snapdragon 610 and 2GB of RAM will be out soon. The Zenfone2 will probably still beat it in several areas, but things will at least be a bit more competitive.

Crap. It's an unproven phone maker with no track record for providing updates or supporting the U.S. market. And it doesn't have Motorola's excellent software. This isn't a great situation.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

nerve posted:

Just the nerd plan I guess. That's cool. $100 family plan is the best though :cool:

Can that plan be used with strangers or friends?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Kawabata posted:

Is there a list somewhere of everything I can disable without making a mess? App names are misleading or ambiguous. This would be a big quality of life improvement.

Did you check your active/cached processes? The system OS seems to take about 850MB for me.

You can't uninstall the asus software. But they seem harmless apart from cluttering your apps. You can hide them away through.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

vyst posted:

Based on my experiences, the n6 has a better user experience via the quickly available software upgrades and lack of touchwiz but the s6 has superior hardware (better camera, internals, etc.) - exception being a smaller screen. So if you can deal with the light flavor of touchwiz (and I do mean light in comparison to galaxy s5/s4) and aren't one of those people that are really anal about having the super cutting edge builds of android I'd go with the s6 easily.

Thank you for this. I'm still leaning on the S6, but another buddy kind of came out of left field and wants me to give the LG G4 a shot when it comes out soon. I wasn't taken by the youtube reviews, but there's this little kid in my brain that gets super excited over having the latest techy thing. I'm hoping once it does drop, I can play with all three in the store and see if I fall for one of 'em (nice not being in a rush to make the decision).

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

FistEnergy posted:

Crap. It's an unproven phone maker with no track record for providing updates or supporting the U.S. market. And it doesn't have Motorola's excellent software. This isn't a great situation.

yeah it's asus bro, relax

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

Actually ASUS has been supporting the U.S. market with Android tablets for quite some time now, and have a half decent record on updates. And they've got plenty of phone experience, just not sold in the U.S.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
How long till asus releases an external gps for their phone because the built in one is broken.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My flatmate just got the 4GB version of the Zenfone 2.

Besides it being enormous it looks pretty much like a copy of the G3 - similar sort of back material (although it is a bit grippier), similar back mounted buttons, similar curved profile. It really is huge though - makes my G3 look like an iPhone or something.

Size aside the only complaints he has are the capacitive buttons aren't backlit, and the camera is kinda sucky (I'd say it sits somewhere below the 2014 G in quality)

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

dissss posted:

My flatmate just got the 4GB version of the Zenfone 2.

Besides it being enormous it looks pretty much like a copy of the G3 - similar sort of back material (although it is a bit grippier), similar back mounted buttons, similar curved profile. It really is huge though - makes my G3 look like an iPhone or something.

Size aside the only complaints he has are the capacitive buttons aren't backlit, and the camera is kinda sucky (I'd say it sits somewhere below the 2014 G in quality)

So all the YouTube reviewers will give it big thumbs up, right?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I love my Asus Zenfone 2 4Gb, my only complaint is the battery. But I came from a rooted phone with a ZeroLemon battery so maybe it's normal and I've been spoilt.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I'm glad people are having positive experiences with their Zenfone 2s. I recommended them when they came out, but didn't get too invested in them since they were new. Having some goon input (positive or negative) with hands on use is always important for small electronics like this IMO.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

It's pretty weird that some people worry about ASUS' reliability of all things and then happily buy their dandy OnePlusOne, a phone from a small, young, previously unknown chinese company. I've seen firsthand what happens when your PlusOne is defective. Good loving luck getting your money back or getting a new one that's working.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kawabata posted:

It's pretty weird that some people worry about ASUS' reliability of all things and then happily buy their dandy OnePlusOne
Those people don't exist.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you know, those might be different people :)

Personally I have a OPO and wouldn't hesitate to get an Asus either. But it's definitely a risk:benefit thing especially with the OPO.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

Right. I'm worried about Asus's reliability and usability compared to a proven Moto platform. And the phone is for my wife, who is used to Moto's near-stock Android. And from what I've read, the Zenfone 2 has a ton of bloatware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

butt dickus posted:

Maybe I didn't phrase it well, but they do.

Some people buy the OnePlusOne thinking they "tricked the market" or something because they got an amazing phone for 200-300$ less than the equivalent flagship Samsung/LG/HTC model would cost and then they also expect OnePlus to give a gently caress about their warranty. Most buyers think that a meticulously built product will have a reliable company behind it and it's not always the case.

FistEnergy posted:

And from what I've read, the Zenfone 2 has a ton of bloatware.

It does, but the heavier stuff you can uninstall and once you clean it a bit you'll see it has a pretty unbeatable performance in the 200-250$ price range. I wouldn't buy the 300$ 4gb one though, seems pretty overkill unless you want to show off by opening 4 games and 40 apps at the same time.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 27, 2015