Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Goetta posted:

FIFA has appealed the IRS red card and has ruled in favor of FIFA

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

One thing one of you doj experts can educate me on: are the people who gave bribes guilty of a crime or is it only those who accept a bribe who are guilty?

You should always bribe a cop because if he accepts it you get off and if he doesn't you've done nothing wrong.

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo

This should be fun. Go USA, Go RICO, Go Sports

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

RICO means they don't need to prove that he asked anyone to bribe anyone. Now I'm not hanging my hopes on Sepp going down on Friday but considering all your posts have amounted to NUH UH YOU'RE STUPID maybe you should shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy this win, however insignificant it turns out to be.

What do they have to prove?

It's not a win, btw.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OrangeKing posted:

Yes, give FIFA a court-appointed monitor, hahaha.

:lol:

They actually mentioned that?

Also I'm without decent streaming speeds for the moment who is the giant everyone keeps speaking off at the DOJ presser?

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

im starting to root for fifa

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hegay posted:

Honestly I don't care about the corruption, hell I'd be corrupt as hell as well. I just don't want the World Cup to be played in Qatar because a winter world cup will ruin my viewing experience.

It's almost as if corruption leads to bad things

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If accepting massive bribes is wrong, I don't want to be right.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Hegay posted:

im starting to root for fifa

Would any of these new people have posted in here (or given a poo poo) if any other country in the world had taken the same action?

Yeah.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

stickyfngrdboy posted:

One thing one of you doj experts can educate me on: are the people who gave bribes guilty of a crime or is it only those who accept a bribe who are guilty?

"Bribery is the practice of offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official....", so both/either/federal law makes no distinction between the giver and the receiver.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

gfanikf posted:

:lol:

They actually mentioned that?

Also I'm without decent streaming speeds for the moment who is the giant everyone keeps speaking off at the DOJ presser?
the director of the fbi is 6'8"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Saw on Twitter that a traumatized Sepp Blatter is now carrying a mattress around everywhere he goes

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Legally if you say 'This is not a bribe' when giving a large amount of cash to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation president there is nothing the Feds can do.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Saw on Twitter that a traumatized Sepp Blatter is now carrying a mattress around everywhere he goes

lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

Holy poo poo.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Martinpale posted:

"Bribery is the practice of offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting something of value for the purpose of influencing the action of an official....", so both/either/federal law makes no distinction between the giver and the receiver.

Yeah I thought that was the case but I didn't hear a mention of any of the American marketing companies involved.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

400 posts in the FIFA thread

:stare:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

What do they have to prove?

Martinpale posted:

In order to convict someone under RICO or a state equivalent, it’s no longer necessary to prove the suspect personally committed an illegal activity. Instead, prosecutors must prove:

· The defendant owns and/or manages an organization;

· The organization regularly performs one or more specific illegal activity.

FIFA would be the organization in this case, and Sepp would be the manager of that organization.

I mean Martinpale could be off base but since he's offering substance and you're offering edgy contrarian nihilism I'm inclined to listen to him and shrug my shoulders if he turns out to be wrong.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 27, 2015

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

African AIDS cum posted:

this is very problolmatic

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I mean Martinpale could be off base but since he's offering explanations and you're offering edgy contrarian nihilism I'm more willing to listen to him and shrug my shoulders if he turns out to be wrong.

Yeah if you think they're going to be able to use those Rico statutes, formulated primarily to get Mafia bosses convicted, against sepp Blatter, im not sure what to tell you. You're not talking about an American resident, much less one that stands on street corners telling his employees to murder folk.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i dont know if theyll arrest sepp or not but yeah under rico you just need proof that the organization partook in organized bribery and stuff. its designed to take down organized crime bosses who rarely, if ever, personally commit the crimes that their organizations practice, because otherwise they could just use plausible deniability to never get arrested. so it's possible the doj is hoping to get some of these guys to turn state's witness and thus take down blatt, but gently caress if i know what they're gonna do

its probably not that, though

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

i dont know if theyll arrest sepp or not but yeah under rico you just need proof that the organization partook in organized bribery and stuff. its designed to take down organized crime bosses who rarely, if ever, personally commit the crimes that their organizations practice, because otherwise they could just use plausible deniability to never get arrested. so it's possible the doj is hoping to get some of these guys to turn state's witness and thus take down blatt, but gently caress if i know what they're gonna do

its probably not that, though

stfu

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
Really don't know where I prefer to put my corn at this point

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

African AIDS cum posted:

lmao

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I mean Martinpale could be off base but since he's offering explanations and you're offering edgy contrarian nihilism I'm more willing to listen to him and shrug my shoulders if he turns out to be wrong.

I could very well be off base, all i'm trying to do is post the relevant sections of the law and let people make their own determinations from that.

The easiest way to say what they have to prove is this: first, they have to prove the racketeering. If they can prove that, then they can go for RICO violations related to the racketeering, namely that there'a a pattern of wrongdoing. "In order to establish a pattern, the plaintiff should prove a relationship between the acts of racketeering activity charged and a threat of continuing activity, or continuity of such activity." FIFA gets implicated due to the part where they were able to commit racketeering due to being members of FIFA..it was possible because of FIFA's resources and access to people.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah if you think they're going to be able to use those Rico statutes, formulated primarily to get Mafia bosses convicted, against sepp Blatter, im not sure what to tell you. You're not talking about an American resident, much less one that stands on street corners telling his employees to murder folk.

Extradition. Treaty. He doesn't have to be an american resident, that has nothing to do with anything. There's a reason why he won't set foot in the U.S.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 27, 2015

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Kwagga posted:

This is like Batman fighting Superman

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

stickyfngrdboy posted:

YOU loving CLOWN, at LEAST read the case examples in which RICO has been enforced before you run your stupid loving mouth about what does and does not fall under the purview of an American law you literally had no idea existed until 45 seconds ago.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The United States can arrest anyone anywhere (except Russia and NK).

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

An underrated aspect of this is FIFA sponsors are going to start pulling out in droves. Watch that funding dry up.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Bobby Digital posted:

This is the real reason for the scooter, so he could go pette his cattes. Walking would get to be a hassle.

edit: also he fat

out

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

From what (admittedly little) I understand, you're talking about a non-American resident whose international organization used American banks to facilitate its bribes and tax evasion, which is ultimately money out of America's pocket. So as far as the DOJ (and most of the free world) is concerned, their county has been wronged and that gives them the right to seek restitution.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 27, 2015

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Kwagga posted:

lol

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

African AIDS cum posted:

An underrated aspect of this is FIFA sponsors are going to start pulling out in droves. Watch that funding dry up.

I'm sure Qatar can chip in a couple more billion to offset it

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

stickyfngrdboy posted:

You're retarded dude

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

African AIDS cum posted:

Think Coca-Cola is gonna let Pepsi have a shot at getting the World Cup? No chance

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

From what (admittedly little) I understand, you're talking about a non-American resident whose international organization used American banks to facilitate its bribes and tax evasion, which is ultimately money out of America's pocket. So as far as the DOJ is concerned, it's open season.

As history shows us, the DOJ LOVES to bring down the heads of things on Tax Evasion charges.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
I should pull out my one-off corn in the fridge gimmick account for this thread.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

El Hefe posted:

Think Coca-Cola is gonna let Pepsi have a shot at getting the World Cup? No chance

FIFA is going to be lucky to get RC Cola after the DOJ drops a people's elbow on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Kwagga posted:

lol