Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh god, I'm the last assault left on the roster.

I'll be on Covert Op duty forever. ...providing the commander doesn't get me killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I was wondering if it was a case of "Always does 1 damage" or if armour could save the seeker.

Ah well, worked anyhow!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

That was some dreadful luck with the grenades, but I think you haven't had a high damage grenade often at all through the whole campaign. At least the air fight went well at the end.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I started a campaign the other day, and I think my biggest problem is the air game. Keeping a full roster of pilots seems way too much given my Vanilla XCOM experience, but twice I've had to let a UFO pass because I had no interceptors available. Hearing you say "this is where I want to be" with 4 planes undergoing repairs was quite shocking.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 26, 2015

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ProfessorBooty posted:

e2: ^^ Thanks! I really appreciate feedback :) ^^

No way a pistol would penetrate armor, not to mention he was recovering from being strangled and he doesn't have gunslinger, it would have been like a 10% shot.

e: not including the fact it would have to do 3 damage, which is crit territory.

ah, that explains why you didn't take what otherwise seemed like the obvious option.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
At some point you have to wonder WHEN you can actually use the drat things... I seriously can't seem to see any use other than maybe shooting a sectoid with 1 hp at point blank? Even with the perks, it just seems to make a terrible thing slightly less terrible?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Yami Fenrir posted:

At some point you have to wonder WHEN you can actually use the drat things... I seriously can't seem to see any use other than maybe shooting a sectoid with 1 hp at point blank? Even with the perks, it just seems to make a terrible thing slightly less terrible?

Snipers at close-ish range I guess. Gunslinger (or Ranger in 15e) would be the only perk that would make this somewhat viable I think along with a half decent pistol.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Isn't there a pocket shotgun, that while still stupidly situational with its one range, is actually capable of doing some damage, any damage, from that slot?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FoolyCharged posted:

Isn't there a pocket shotgun, that while still stupidly situational with its one range, is actually capable of doing some damage, any damage, from that slot?

There is, and it's actually reasonably handy. Very situational, but in moments like this last mission it's absolutely perfect.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Akratic Method posted:

There is, and it's actually reasonably handy. Very situational, but in moments like this last mission it's absolutely perfect.

Well, I think it's less hilariously situational than the ballistic pistols are. I mean, shotgun range, AND DR affected just kind of kills ballistic pistols.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
The main problem of the Sawed-off Shotgun in question is that you're taking a continual penalty of -1 Mobility on the soldiers carrying it, to prepare for a very particular situation - an enemy is one tile away and my regular weapon won't cut it.

Whether the sacrifice is worthwhile is up to the commander on duty.

On the other hand, you get to imagine the soldier in question quoting Hicks from Aliens, which is not a measurable bonus but is significant.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

More training, unfortunately for our squad the combat experience was swift stressful and tense, but I suppose that's good for people who want more exciting combat.

:siren:Congratulations Cedric in making Corporal! Cedric needs a nickname!:siren:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
YEEEEEEEEEEEES NEW EPISODE

You are my favorite LP at the moment Booty.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

More training, unfortunately for our squad the combat experience was swift stressful and tense, but I suppose that's good for people who want more exciting combat.

:siren:Congratulations Cedric in making Corporal! Cedric needs a nickname!:siren:

The video is currently private!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

The video is currently private!

Keep on forgetting to de-private the video before adding and editing the thread :downs:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

Keep on forgetting to de-private the video before adding and editing the thread :downs:

I still love you!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Getting to watch this before opening at work is great, I'll toss my thanks in again as well Booty.

As for the mission, seems like a routine bag and tag with everyone doing a great job! Mutons also showing why you should be respecting their plasma rifles, geeze. The editing was pretty fantastic too, really flowed very well.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Also you have already nicknamed Cedric.

"Meldrunner"

Edit: Also I noticed that Puukko is a non-Goon. Is there a Goon in the thread who hasn't claimed a character yet? Alternatively: Insert Kidneyman into the game.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 27, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Well I technically haven't yet, so I guess I'm fine with any sorta german character instead of having to be german support.

Also, Meldrunner is good.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
^^ I'll update your request :) ^^

Gridlocked posted:

Edit: Also I noticed that Puukko is a non-Goon. Is there a Goon in the thread who hasn't claimed a character yet? Alternatively: Insert Kidneyman into the game.

Puukko posted on page 1!

e: I have a list of people who posted in the thread. They may be conscripted someday. I'm giving priority to explicit volunteers (and a slight priority to people who are 'obviously still watching'). The only people that aren't fair game are those that explicitly ask not to join.

e2: Kidneyman wouldn't be a good idea because if he says something that makes me snap I'd likely run his avatar out to get shot. That's bad juju.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

e2: Kidneyman wouldn't be a good idea because if he says something that makes me snap I'd likely run his avatar out to get shot. That's bad juju.

Even more reason to do it. Just like, when everyone else has been filled in, make a guy for Kidneyman. If he dies, make another. See how often you can kill Kidneyman.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'm imagining the two of you arguing over making a rocket shot before you passive aggressively move the reticule over his pawn threateningly until he aquiesses to your demands.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

On the other hand, you get to imagine the soldier in question quoting Hicks from Aliens, which is not a measurable bonus but is significant.

Someone, somewhere needs to cut together some Aliens voicesets for Long War.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

The main problem of the Sawed-off Shotgun in question is that you're taking a continual penalty of -1 Mobility on the soldiers carrying it, to prepare for a very particular situation - an enemy is one tile away and my regular weapon won't cut it.

Whether the sacrifice is worthwhile is up to the commander on duty.

That seems to be the theme with sidearms. The 10 moves a mission on everyone all the times is better than the one clutch shotgun to kill a seeker when someone is out of ammo once.

It's like the vanilla Snapshot v squadsight discussion

Snapshot has its moments, but Squadsight is useful ALL THE TIME.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
So I get that the aliens have some kind of research and resource progression, and you can kind of tell where they are based on meld canisters and pod makeup, but could somebody explain it in more detail how it works and what you can know about the alien tech level?

Like this last mission had a meld can of 11 and a mixed pod of seekers and drones (I think?). What does that tell us about how the aliens are doing? If they'd had a meld can of 30 or something, would that be good or bad? Can you affect how well the aliens advance their tech? Is it better to hold back a bit on killing aliens to get more meld/resources per mission?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Given my results on the previous mission, I'm appointing myself official X-Com Morale Officer, in charge of making sure our missions are never boring.

Just think how much less Fun it would have been if I'd killed those chryssalids!

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

That seems to be the theme with sidearms. The 10 moves a mission on everyone all the times is better than the one clutch shotgun to kill a seeker when someone is out of ammo once.

It's like the vanilla Snapshot v squadsight discussion

Snapshot has its moments, but Squadsight is useful ALL THE TIME.

Well, I think the problem is that if you could un-equip the pistol for, say, another +1 movement, you'd probably do it. It's just that sidearms seem basically pointless to actually SHOOT at low level, no matter what you pick.

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Well look like I need to go the the range again after I get out of hospital.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Why wait? You got a lot of time to kill.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Neophyte posted:

So I get that the aliens have some kind of research and resource progression, and you can kind of tell where they are based on meld canisters and pod makeup, but could somebody explain it in more detail how it works and what you can know about the alien tech level?

Like this last mission had a meld can of 11 and a mixed pod of seekers and drones (I think?). What does that tell us about how the aliens are doing? If they'd had a meld can of 30 or something, would that be good or bad? Can you affect how well the aliens advance their tech? Is it better to hold back a bit on killing aliens to get more meld/resources per mission?

I'm not really the best person to answer this. All I know is what I gathered from skimming some documents and guides on the subject (and I'm usually a paragraph in before my eyes start glazing over) that the aliens you fight are based on alien Research, so there's some likelihood of seeing alien types based on alien research and some RNG (When you go on the mission, the game rolls to see how many aliens there are, and x% chance of being type a, y% chance of type b, z% chance of type c and so on). Research is almost completely divorced from resources, so even if the aliens are dirt poor you have a chance of rolling difficult aliens anyway.

The quantity and type of missions the aliens go on is based on alien resources and what is referred to as XCOM threat level (How threatening the aliens 'think' XCOM is to their subjugation of the planet). XCOM threat level is determined by how well your air game is going, for the most part. I'll quote a post on reddit:

BookofAeons on Reddit posted:

Every small or medium UFO you shoot down or raid adds +1 threat.
Large and very large UFOs you shoot down or raid add +2 threat.
At the end of every month, subtract 4 threat, divide all threat by 2 (for non-Dynamic War games) and clamp the result between 0 and 4.
Additionally, doing an Alien Base Assault will automatically set threat to the max of 4.

So you have a number between 0 and 4 for XCOM threat level, and 0 and 4 for Alien resources (0 being low, 4 being high for both) which determines what kinds and quantity of missions the aliens go on. For example, high resources and low XCOM threat level means the aliens will attempt to launch an 'infiltration mission' (a mission that takes a lot of resources, is unlikely to succeed, but if it does succeed the targeted country automatically withdraws), whereas high resources and high XCOM threat level means they'll attempt to launch an 'XCOM base assault' (I say attempt because even if you're unlikely to shoot down the UFO going on this mission, it is possible and I've done it before).

There's a table here that shows exactly what kind of stuff you should expect based on threat level and alien resources. In general, if you notice very high meld in one mission, and low meld in a subsequent mission, there's a good chance the aliens launched an expensive mission. I think we lost Australia midmonth due to an infiltration mission.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 27, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Well, I think the problem is that if you could un-equip the pistol for, say, another +1 movement, you'd probably do it. It's just that sidearms seem basically pointless to actually SHOOT at low level, no matter what you pick.

If I could unequip the pistol for +1 mobility, I probably wouldn't :cheeky:. At worst the pistol is a handy thing for captures, at best you pull off things like Eggsaisle did in the first terror mission. There's been times I've wished gunners or rocketeers had a pistol.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

If I could unequip the pistol for +1 mobility, I probably wouldn't :cheeky:. At worst the pistol is a handy thing for captures, at best you pull off things like Eggsaisle did in the first terror mission. There's been times I've wished gunners or rocketeers had a pistol.

Well, if you say so? I could have sworn I saw DR completely block shots. Still, isn't that something flush and friends are for?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Well, if you say so? I could have sworn I saw DR completely block shots. Still, isn't that something flush and friends are for?

If a gunner has no ammo, and is near a 1 HP sectoid, you wish you had a pistol. There are enemies without DR, after all. Pistols will be more relevant soon, as 'gunslinger' is being rolled up with 'Ranger'. Which makes me happy, as long as my builds don't have to change.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 27, 2015

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Oh yeaaah, Sectoids are a thing. I totally forgot! Sure haven't seen those buggers in a while - and even if they did show up, they just get grinded up in the bullet hell so quickly.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Remembering what class people are is hard. I can't be the only person that completely forgot thejoshie was a scout. :v:

ProfessorBooty posted:

As a matter of fact, I have a lot of depressed soldiers (I blame myself for the majority of this - I'm trying to fix my attitude). Not everyone can be the 6-kill-per-mission soldier, and we need soldiers that provide a sturdy foundation so those mega-kill soldiers can actually function.

I think you beat yourself up too much over your attitude.

It occurs to me my previous post might have come off as passive-aggressive which was not my intention. Early updates galore. :toot:

Detheros posted:

Yeah, but with the recent funding shortage we don't have any ammo for the pistols, Commander says we need to take them because "It looks right" or something like that.

Also been really enjoying the videos lately, keep up the good work Booty and Kidney.

I like to imagine it's all the fault of bullshit contracts. Sure we don't use pistols that often, but every soldier must have a pistol, it's in the contract. Yes, Australia has defected, but have you seen the termination fees? It's a shame they found some resistance, it'd be more expensive not to bomb.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

^^ I'll update your request :) ^^

Puukko posted on page 1!

e: I have a list of people who posted in the thread. They may be conscripted someday. I'm giving priority to explicit volunteers (and a slight priority to people who are 'obviously still watching'). The only people that aren't fair game are those that explicitly ask not to join.

:downs: Oh so he did. The name sounded like a default name.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Gridlocked posted:

Also you have already nicknamed Cedric.

"Meldrunner"

I approve of this nickname. Add a space, maybe.

Harrison Ford as Corperal Cedric in...

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Dinictus posted:

YES

Yoink!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

well, if I wash out of the pilot ranks, put me on the ground i guess! Also seconding that this is my favorite LP right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dinictus posted:

It's loving beautiful.

• Locked thread