Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
ADvertisers will be thrilled now that they don't have to pay bribes to get deals with FIFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

i dont know if theyll arrest sepp or not but yeah under rico you just need proof that the organization partook in organized bribery and stuff. its designed to take down organized crime bosses who rarely, if ever, personally commit the crimes that their organizations practice, because otherwise they could just use plausible deniability to never get arrested. so it's possible the doj is hoping to get some of these guys to turn state's witness and thus take down blatt, but gently caress if i know what they're gonna do

its probably not that, though

I can tell this is a very chill post

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah if you think they're going to be able to use those Rico statutes, formulated primarily to get Mafia bosses convicted, against sepp Blatter, im not sure what to tell you. You're not talking about an American resident, much less one that stands on street corners telling his employees to murder folk.

jfc lol

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I don't think a big organisation like fifa did anything wrong. I think this has been blown out of proportion by the media.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Yeah if you think they're going to be able to use those Rico statutes, formulated primarily to get Mafia bosses convicted, against sepp Blatter, im not sure what to tell you. You're not talking about an American resident, much less one that stands on street corners telling his employees to murder folk.

He's already indirectly murdered thousands in Qatar

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Capt Murphy posted:

FIFA is a corrupt shithole. The DOJ has the grounds to bring charges. And they're gonna gently caress em' as hard as they can. And it is glorious and hilarious, not the least of which because it sends all you little gutter rats into a tizzy of profanity and general stupidity.

Every single poster in this subforum wants Blatter gone from FIFA, nobody here is mad about the DOJ investigating Football's governing body, just the opposite.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

track day bro! posted:

I don't think a big organisation like fifa did anything wrong. I think this has been blown out of proportion by the media.

it has

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I am getting a contact high from watching y'all's joy.

I haven't seen anybody mention that (from the Guardian) Chuck Blazer is seriously ill with colon cancer. Depending on how long ago the diagnosis was, this would be an extremely persuasive motive to roll over: "I'm dying. Do I want to do it in a world-class hospital or in a prison cell?"

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My dick could cut diamonds today, just lmao fat Jack Warner is going to bring FIFA down I loving love it so much

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't seen anybody mention that (from the Guardian) Chuck Blazer is seriously ill with colon cancer. Depending on how long ago the diagnosis was, this would be an extremely persuasive motive to roll over: "I'm dying. Do I want to do it in a world-class hospital or in a prison cell?"

I think it also has a lot to do with him not getting the attention from his old "friends" that he wanted once he retired. The SI article about him from a while ago made it sound like he's doing this as much out of bitterness and spite as it is about getting his head out of the noose.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Suqit posted:

ADvertisers will be thrilled now that they don't have to pay bribes to get deals with FIFA.
*posts badvertising's advertising rant*

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

the director of the fbi is 6'8"
That's me

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He would roll over anyway because he's a rich old man who is only in it for the money

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham
the director of the fbi is 6'8" and 6'6" of that is his head

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

stickyfngrdboy posted:

sepp blatter makes a perfect RICO target: he fits the definitions of the law and is an indirect reason for millions in tax evasion while being someone who won't whack anyone for flipping on him. It's basically US Justice System Christmas

Question is whether they will be able to find enough crumbs to prove a pattern of corrupt activity fitting RICO, and whether at that point Blatter will be possible to extradite

Primpod
Dec 25, 2007

jamming on crusty white

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We don't know how much he spilled, but Blazer's already rolled over to some degree. (Presumably to protect the Trump Tower apartment for his cats)

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Torrannor posted:

Every single poster in this subforum wants Blatter gone from FIFA, nobody here is mad about the DOJ investigating Football's governing body, just the opposite.

Nice meltdown you little gutter rat, seems it really is a cesspool of opinions in here. *Sniffs* I'd stay, but the insular smell of lovely humor is in the air

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
blatter : i wish that none of my cronies are able to compete with me for FIFA Presidency...

*finger on monkeys paw shrivels up*

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

*disclaimer i don't know anything about the law*

isn't the problem with rico that fifa isn't based in the united states and blatters minions have their own federations et al that they were taking bribes on behalf of?

so if the paper trail only goes as far as the federation heads, they could have been bribing people for blatter for their own self-interest, while blatter had no idea. Seems like a flimsy case.

if they want to take down blatter they need get a bunch of testimony and tangible evidence from the parties involved that blatter requested that they take bribes on behalf of FIFA. Based on the kleptocracy anecdote it seems like Blatter pretty much insulated himself from this exact sort of situation by installing a corrupt chain of command that benefitted him, rather than making corrupt commands.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Is Blazer the only one who's really supping the ricola?

Warner's kids rolling on him would restore my faith in nepotism.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

straight up brolic posted:

isn't the problem with rico that fifa isn't based in the united states and blatters minions have their own federations et al that they were taking bribes on behalf of?

so if the paper trail only goes as far as the federation heads, they could have been bribing people for blatter for their own self-interest, while blatter had no idea. Seems like a flimsy case.

if they want to take down blatter they need get a bunch of testimony and tangible evidence from the parties involved that blatter requested that they take bribes on behalf of FIFA. Based on the kleptocracy anecdote it seems like Blatter pretty much insulated himself from this exact sort of situation by installing a corrupt chain of command that benefitted him, rather than making corrupt commands.

The USA can and will gently caress, kill and imprison anyone on planet earth as long as that person doesn't own a nuclear warhead

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Pretty sure the DoJ disagrees wrt how solid their evidence is and I trust their judgment here

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

*same disclaimer*

they have charges against people from multiple federations, though. Should make it easier to make a case against the federation they all are members of, aka FIFA

And he doesn't need to have made the corrupt commands. Creating a situation where he profitted from others' corruption is plenty enough for RICO.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAkwAIaDh8

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
the us will gently caress the fifa faggots up and I'll 69 with the dnd posters during half time

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Pretty sure the DoJ disagrees wrt how solid their evidence is and I trust their judgment here
they did a probe on blatter and didn't indict him so their evidence is not solid enough yet tho?!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

My biggest contention with all this is if this is the world cup of fraud, why aren't FIFA winning.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

The sticking point for a lot of people is understanding the difference between going after Sepp directly, and what RICO allows for. In this case, all they have to prove is that there was an 'enterprise', in this case FIFA, and that there was an ongoing pattern of racketeering/fraud in that enterprise. Then, as the head of that 'enterprise', Sepp is indictable under RICO statutes. RICO, as has been said a lot here, is pretty much specifically for taking down the heads of criminal enterprises like the mob, where the man in charge makes sure to not directly link himself and insulate himself from what's going on.

The individual federations are members of FIFA, that's all they really need for FIFA to be implicated as a whole.

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 27, 2015

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

they did a probe on blatter and didn't indict him so their evidence is not solid enough yet tho?!

They just rolled up a bunch of dudes they can try and flip on him.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lol i honestly though Warner would never get charged, so pumped, gently caress off you piece of poo poo, burn trinidad to the ground

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
blatter has no chance rico will gently caress him up

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what judges or circuits would see these cases?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
blatter will go to jail, platini will take over, football will be even more insane

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

davecrazy posted:

They just rolled up a bunch of dudes they can try and flip on him.

oh so you gonna switch it on em?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
part of blatter's plea bargain will be moving the wc from qatar to america

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

what judges or circuits would see these cases?

US federal courts, I would have thought?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

hmm i hate snitching but i also hate FIFA, difficult questions for sure

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Martinpale posted:

The individual federations are members of FIFA, that's all they really need for FIFA to be implicated as a whole.
so (as i said i know nothing about the law) if you had a company like walmart that owned 10 smaller stores that were part of the walmart family, and two of them lets call them funco and shitland and they were bribing and embezzling and propping up walmart--under no direct order or knowledge from walmart, could the head of walmart be taken down on that evidence alone, despite the fact that they had no evidence regarding the 8 other small stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

so (as i said i know nothing about the law) if you had a company like walmart that owned 10 smaller stores that were part of the walmart family, and two of them lets call them funco and shitland and they were bribing and embezzling and propping up walmart--under no direct order or knowledge from walmart, could the head of walmart be taken down on that evidence alone, despite the fact that they had no evidence regarding the 8 other small stores?

yes definitely this