Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Two (August 14-16, 1952)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I see the daughter got the bitch gene from Mom.

Draco Malfoy is getting put on the hook for his actions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is art.

e: I miss the mock thread. :(

Miss it no more

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

That title.

9 Chickweed Lane 5/27/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows a deal when they see it.

Working Daze is uplifting.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix crosses genres.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Get out of here. I have enough of my own Problem Comix

Pooch Café

The continuation of The Worm Problem.

Ballard Street

The continuation of The Mouse Problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK92NYwBMts

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (March 28, 1928)

Peanuts (May 29, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Rip Haywire

If anything, this story is crueler than One More Day.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 28, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It never fails to amaze me how the colorists in these strips can gently caress up so badly.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

This is such a non-plot, it's incredible. We haven't seen anything to indicate that this new kid would be a bad leader. The only conflict is...what? The Phantom's kids don't understand that nepotism is wrong?

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

ChairMaster posted:

It never fails to amaze me how the colorists in these strips can gently caress up so badly.

Yeah, seriously. It makes me think three things:

1. Why don't the artists just do the coloring of their own strips now? I know it used to be a bit more complicated, but isn't the contemporary technique to just hit it with the paint bucket tool?

2. How do I sign up to be a colorist? Is it a nepotism/friend-of-the-artist kind of thing? I need a job real bad and I'm pretty sure I could do a better job than this.

3. Don't the artists ever notice and complain? Do they even bother reading their strips again once they hit paper?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Green Intern posted:

This is such a non-plot, it's incredible. We haven't seen anything to indicate that this new kid would be a bad leader. The only conflict is...what? The Phantom's kids don't understand that nepotism is wrong?

If anything, he seems a really good replacement. He still respects the Phantom, he just believes it's time for a new leader.

It's not like we're talking about the Python here.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (May 28, 1968)

Awww, these goop strips take me back. When I was growing up in the 70's, I had the Peanuts Cook Book.

Simple recipes for kids, with a food-related comic on the opposite page.

So in case you were wondering: goop tastes like icing! :3:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus we've come a long way in graphics design since the 70s.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus we've come a long way in graphics design since the 70s.

Well, computer layout will do that. That cover was made by someone pasting little pieces of paper onto a sheet of cardboard.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was thinking more of the questionable color pairing. It's probably easier on the eyes in print. :)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Gorilla Salad posted:

If anything, he seems a really good replacement. He still respects the Phantom, he just believes it's time for a new leader.

It's not like we're talking about the Python here.

I would hope that this story ends with the chibi-Phantoms learning a valuable lesson, but then, the Phantom is traditionally a strip that doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Fyadophobic posted:

Yeah, seriously. It makes me think three things:

1. Why don't the artists just do the coloring of their own strips now? I know it used to be a bit more complicated, but isn't the contemporary technique to just hit it with the paint bucket tool?

2. How do I sign up to be a colorist? Is it a nepotism/friend-of-the-artist kind of thing? I need a job real bad and I'm pretty sure I could do a better job than this.

3. Don't the artists ever notice and complain? Do they even bother reading their strips again once they hit paper?

The colour is only for gocomics, most of the papers still run the strips in black and white. If you get the artists to colour them, you'd have to pay them too and they value their time more than some poor scrub with ms paint.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Red Meat

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Oh excellent, more talking vermin, drawn in Don Wimmer's trademark "who gives a poo poo about art" style. A++, can't wait for these characters to tell the same joke literally hundreds of times.

*taps mic* "Hello I'm Elly Patterson, and this poem is entitled 'Throw My Children Down a Well'" *crowd goes wild, standing ovation, crown of laurels, giant trophy*

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I know that FOOB is Lynn's self-insert fanfic, but good lord this is worse than usual.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

"Oh no! I'm just a replacement? How humiliating!"

You take any opportunity and be thankful about it. Also I can't believe Lynn didn't learn her lesson from this, that if you're going to have your character be a great writer, don't show the readers what the writing looks like unless you're sure it's 100% gold (Stone Season excerpts, from my memory, were dull, lifeless piles).

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know that FOOB is Lynn's self-insert fanfic, but good lord this is worse than usual.

Yesterday's was shocking but it at least made me laugh. "'Pack the mattress full of rats,/go to sleep you loving brats' omg ely so biutiful" "Thanks, it keeps me from beating them."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

You take any opportunity and be thankful about it. Also I can't believe Lynn didn't learn her lesson from this, that if you're going to have your character be a great writer, don't show the readers what the writing looks like unless you're sure it's 100% gold (Stone Season excerpts, from my memory, were dull, lifeless piles).
I suspect the author is sure it's 100% gold. :sigh:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess making Elly a great cartoonist would be a little gauche, and that really is where her talent lies.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Do you guys know Adam uses a cane?

Rex Morgan MD

So won't all the kids Nancy's been bullying all this time just mess with Kelly's car again and again so Nancy has to keep paying for damage?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Do you guys know Adam uses a cane?

I'm not sure, hum a few bars?

:rimshot:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Green Intern posted:

I guess it's that they fear change but really, Guran set up a formal set of rules and this dude is working perfectly inside them, because he thinks he could do better. Guran is kind of screwed in his set of rules but that's what he gets for basing them on tests of physical ability.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

dirksteadfast posted:

See, I read it as 'Wait, I'm replacing a guest speaker? A professional orator that people will be coming specifically to see? That's way too much pressure for my first time speaking in public."

Thanks for clearing it up, I accidentally sympathised with her for a minute there.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

Not sure why Spidey would doubt any of that.

This was all I got before Comics Kingdom decided it didn't want to show me any more comics today. So I guess this is all you get until tomorrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Green Intern posted:

Rand Brittain posted:

I would hope that this story ends with the chibi-Phantoms learning a valuable lesson, but then, the Phantom is traditionally a strip that doesn't understand the difference between right and wrong.
It's not really surprising. It's pretty hard to justify the Phantom's position in a modern context. In the 1930s it would have seemed pretty reasonable, and if it were still set in the 1930s then at least you could look on it as being accurate to the times, but if you want it to really work in a modern setting you need to make a lot more changes than they have. Like, I don't think the Phantom is acknowledged as the ruler of the jungle any more, and he doesn't seem to do the stuff he used to to keep the neighbouring tribes in line, now he mostly just fights terrorists and stuff, but it's still in this weird half-modern mode, to try to keep it mostly in line with the original concept.

It's one reason I really wish the characters had aged in real time; It would have allowed the Phantom to move with the times in a much more natural manner. Plus it would let them write a story about the Phantom dying every couple of decades, and unlike most other super heroes they wouldn't need to come up with some absurd way to bring him back to life, because the Phantom title being passed on is established in the backstory.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Not sure why Spidey would doubt any of that.

Michael Keaton? Well, I guess a 26-year-old reference is timely for the comics pages.

(Yes, the Keaton Batman was 26 years ago. Yes, you are old.)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He played a man in a suit much more recently than that, although considering this is newspaper comics you're probably right.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
On the slightest of technicalities, Keaton played a "costumed character" last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

So won't all the kids Nancy's been bullying all this time just mess with Kelly's car again and again so Nancy has to keep paying for damage?
I'm sure the theory is that Nancy will stand out in the parking lot keeping Kelly's car safe personally (presumably by bullying people into leaving it alone) -- basically forcing Nancy into servitude as Kelly's personal car bodyguard forever.

Although really, what I want to happen next is for Nancy to shrug and say, "gently caress it, my family's rich, I don't give a poo poo what happens to your car," followed by Nancy's other victims setting fire to Kelly's SUV and incinerating all of those paintings in the back of it, followed by Sarah losing her book deal and all the money. You know, just because I want something bad to finally happen to the Morgans at least once in this loving strip, just one goddamn time when people stop giving them expensive gifts and stacks of cash for doing absolutely nothing but being smug and well-off. :argh:

• Locked thread