Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

oh right hahah

The US should take a look at Brazilian football if they want to see corruption

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

warcrimes posted:

You're either the stupidest american to post in this thread or you're a foreigner that has no concept of how the US Dept. of Justice works. You're also vastly overestimating the popularity of soccer in the US if you think this is a PR stunt. loving idiot.

And even among americans that like soccer, half only like the US soccer teams.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Alejandro Burzaco

good bye TyC, does this mean no more FoxSports in South American comps? please?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
http://imgur.com/gallery/BsXvqvx

^^^me all day about Mr Sepp.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://twitter.com/Matt5cott
So, a few thoughts in sum from the 166pp US DoJ report: 1) The $150m reported as the total value of bribes is way short of the mark.
2) People were working apparently pro bono in positions of executive power, remunerated only by bribes.
3) The quantum of bribes often amounted to about a third of contract value. How could senior officials at FIFA be unaware?
4) Where were the auditors of the football organisations in all this?
5) In Q1 2008, $10m in bribes were wired by “a high-ranking FIFA official” from a FIFA a/c to Jack Warner.
6) Again: how can the people at the top of FIFA, and its auditors, possibly have missed this?
7) It seems to get to a position of power in Conmebol/Concacaf you had to be bribe-taking.
8) They knew well they were committing crimes: defendant Alejandro Burzaco said: “All can get hurt because of this. All of us go to prison.”
9) They would have got away with it had they not put the cash through US a/cs. Not only were they criminal but criminally stupid.
10) The methods were those of a very sophisticated criminal organisation: numbered Swiss a/cs, shell co.s, tax havens, currency dealers etc
Reminds me of the worst of FIFA's WC-bid clauses. It insisted FIFA be allowed to carry six-figures in $ cash across borders. Authorised ML.

For all the Euro's that don't know yet the DOJ is using the same methods and laws used against the NY crime families in the 90's on FIFA. RIght now the only crime family left in NY is the NYPD now so that should tell you just how hosed everyone including Blatter is.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

A Winner is Jew posted:

For all the Euro's that don't know yet the DOJ is using the same methods and laws used against the NY crime families in the 90's on FIFA. RIght now the only crime family left in NY is the NYPD now so that should tell you just how hosed everyone including Blatter is.

This post + account name is perfect.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

A Winner is Jew posted:

Anyone know of any good articles/books/documentaries about this, i.e. the NY crime family takedowns? That sounds cool as heck.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008

Polidoro posted:

Grondona must be laughing pretty hard in hell.

He was the Jimmy Saville of FIFA

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

A Winner is Jew posted:

They've all watched Goodfellas, does that count?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

RALF posted:

Anyone know of any good articles/books/documentaries about this, i.e. the NY crime family takedowns? That sounds cool as heck.

Does Goodfellas count.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

A Winner is Jew posted:

There's also no parole and all sorts of sentence enhancements up the wahzoo for white collar crimes under Federal prosecution.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Edgy as heck, wouldn't wanna be th NY PD after this post hoo boy

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Carrier posted:

Lets all just take a breath and reflect on that post.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

RALF posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racketeer_Influenced_and_Corrupt_Organizations_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_Commission_Trial

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphonse_D%27Arco

light reading

RICO laws have caused mob bosses to become government witnesses and the FIFA indictments are under RICO laws... let that sink in.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Pissflaps posted:

"He's afraid"
                                                                                                                                               \

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Carrier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51t1OsPSdBc

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Reminder:

Gigi Galli posted:

If you are Sepp Blatter, the head of FIFA, you will be permabanned if you post in this forum.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Good song

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

http://www.theonion.com/article/fif...source=facebook

FIFA taking swift action to correct the problem.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

https://twitter.com/pablofisher/status/603652303854395392

Grondona made a cool 15mil in 2013.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Considering they got back over $150m just from the four that have already secretly pleaded guilty, the scale of bribery here is unreal.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

vyelkin posted:

Considering they got back over $150m just from the four that have already secretly pleaded guilty, the scale of bribery here is unreal.

FIFA, a non-profit that gets tax exempt status anywhere that gets the world cup, has cash reserves of like £2bn that it does gently caress all with

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

FIFA, a non-profit that gets tax exempt status anywhere that gets the world cup, has cash reserves of like £2bn that it does gently caress all with

Looks like it bribes the heck out of people to manipulate the game as they see fit.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Jose posted:

Pretty sure they throw massive parties with underage prostitues all the time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Jose posted:

No you see they spend that money developing grassroots football in impoverished countries like Trinidad and Tobago, which makes them true heroes.

United Passions 2, coming this fall.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Shrapnig posted:

Looks like it bribes the heck out of people to manipulate the game as they see fit.

£10m is pretty small when you're sitting on £2b that keeps getting larger

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Didn't fifa make something ludicrous like a 4 billion dollars from the 2014 world cup from all their contracts and ticket sales and the Brazil government basically had a bill of twice that for hosting it?

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

vyelkin posted:

United Passions 2, coming this fall.
Will it be exactly like The Untouchables and star Liam Neeson?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

vyelkin posted:

Well apparently 30% of a contract went on bribes

Fifa's revenues are $4bn a year

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

Didn't fifa make something ludicrous like a 4 billion dollars from the 2014 world cup from all their contracts and ticket sales and the Brazil government basically had a bill of twice that for hosting it?

Yep, considering they don't have to pay a penny to actually put on the world cup you wonder how the gently caress they only have a billion in reserves.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Well apparently 30% of a contract went on bribes

Fifa's REPORTED revenues are $4bn a year

I fixed the hell out of that for you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yep, considering they don't have to pay a penny to actually put on the world cup you wonder how the gently caress they only have a billion in reserves.

There are a lot more people to bribe since they changed how the presidential voting works

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
FIFA has provisionally banned the guys indicted from all soccer activities.

http://www.nytimes.com/live/fifa-corruption-live-updates/

“The charges are clearly related to football and are of such a serious nature that it was imperative to take swift and immediate action,” said Hans-Joachim Eckert, the chairman of the adjudicatory chamber of the FIFA ethics committee. “The proceedings will follow their course in line with the FIFA code of ethics.

Idioms concerning closing doors and horses leaving come to mind.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
New York Times has a good piece on who everyone is and how they fit into the organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...v=top-news&_r=0

Once they start to turn on Blatter (and they will) he's proper hosed.

One more thing, this is the first case for the new US AG so you can bet your rear end that this will not end well for anyone involved.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

what a glorious time to be a yanqi plastique. Once scorned by the European elite, Everyone is now looking to us to save the world from Mr. Sepp.

...and we'll whisper, "No".

lol not really, FIFA is hosed. Pelican Bay hosed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Look, we convict people. It's what we do. We freed the slaves and still left an amendment in the
constitution that allows us to enslave convicts.

Never let it be said that America can't find a motherfucker guilty. Blatter is a walking dead man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

i did some big lols when i noticed charlie brown there wasn't a photoshop