Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm playing a mage and wizard on ragefire because mage is op and I love wizards and already have 2 1 on test that I copied from my sleeper days and 1 on vox. It's been a stupid strong combo. mage/mage would be better but I have a wizard hard on. I plan on starting over on lockjaw with my guild because I don't really care I spent most of this week playing witcher 3 and only did a little bit of eq I'm only level 14. I find all the people bitching about boxxers loving hilarious.

Also CT just died 11/27 get ready for Kunark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Malt posted:

The icons are there, but the OOC regen isn't actually working on Ragefire.

Mana regen seems a hell of a lot better in Ragefire than it ever did when I played EQ before they added the rest bonus.

Maybe I'm just remembering it feeling a lot worse during then-contemporary play because I'm playing multiple characters and can tab out, instead of being stuck in one character with a locked fullscreen game.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SpaceGoku posted:

Mana regen seems a hell of a lot better in Ragefire than it ever did when I played EQ before they added the rest bonus.

Maybe I'm just remembering it feeling a lot worse during then-contemporary play because I'm playing multiple characters and can tab out, instead of being stuck in one character with a locked fullscreen game.

You start with meditate now and the per-level skill cap is much higher, at least for the first few levels.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

cheesetriangles posted:

Also CT just died 11/27 get ready for Kunark.

Jesus, really? If that's the case I'm not gonna re-up for this server, I wasn't aware the player base treated these servers like a "let's prove how fast we can steamroll this" deal. That kinda spoils it for me. I enjoyed the P99 artificial content release schedule, the whole point of nostalgia is living in the content for a time.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I thought it was a forced six month unlock period for expansions, not unlocked like a progression server. Is that not the case?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Slim Killington posted:

Our server did nothing of the sort. Everything was first-to-kill, and we pretty much kept a tight lid on everything. There may have been a list that somebody decided to post online because they wanted very much for everyone to obey it, but that poo poo didn't happen.

Hell, I remember guilds trying to contest poo poo from us and starting this giant bitchfest that led to us swooping into their zones for months and deleting items we already had just to slap them in the face. poo poo was the wild west for a while there.

Yeah I can only imagine someone trying to pull that poo poo on tarew marr and having it mocked on the server boards. I think Erosili Marr or whatever had rotations but on Tarew I'd imagine that poo poo lasting for all of a week if that before someone got trained or the content got sniped.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Slim Killington posted:

Jesus, really? If that's the case I'm not gonna re-up for this server, I wasn't aware the player base treated these servers like a "let's prove how fast we can steamroll this" deal. That kinda spoils it for me. I enjoyed the P99 artificial content release schedule, the whole point of nostalgia is living in the content for a time.

Givin posted:

I thought it was a forced six month unlock period for expansions, not unlocked like a progression server. Is that not the case?

I think you both missed when he said 11/27 for kunark.

It's 6 months away. With a vote to unlock.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The last 10 pages have been saying the would happen

It does jack poo poo to people that just want to play old EQ though. There's no god drat way you're spending 6 months in loving plane of hate or whatever the gently caress. You will be begging for kunark at that point.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Minsky posted:

It does, thank you. Holy loving poo poo I assume the internet back then was on average a whole lot more polite because with today's gamers that kind of design would be a total nightmare. I don't look down on it though since it was like 15 years ago or whatever and Everquest did a lot of things for the first time. I'm just happy that my brief experience with the game ended on orc hill in the wood elf forest.

It will make watching those streams a bit more interesting though.

Heres some more cool stories then, Im like Mother Theresa and sharing the pain is what brings us closer to god.

EQ's 7th expansion was originally planned to have a level raise from 65 to 70 and to be almost entirely high end raiding oriented. They tested all the raids, spells, etc for level 70 characters. At the last minute they cut the expansion into half (the 8th expansion was originally planned to be the second half of the 7th), and didnt raise the level cap at all. What that led to was content that wasnt just hard, it was straight up impossible to beat. It caused a ton of the top raid guilds in the game to quit. Sony freaked out because this was right as World of Warcraft was about to release so they hosted a "player summit" where they paid to have the guild leaders of all the top guilds fly to California to hear their complaints. They ultimately ended up ignoring almost all of it. The last raid of the expansion was never beaten by any guild before the next expansion came out, which raised the level cap and made it possible. There was one guild who managed to get the last boss of the expansion to phase 2, where you find out all the work you had just done was against his clone and now you had to fight the real, harder version of him. As soon as people saw that they just gave up and stopped trying.

Now you might be telling yourself god drat that sounds like the single dumbest thing I have ever heard about a video game, surely they learned their lesson from that, right? Nope, the next expansion had had similar problems. Its boss wasnt beaten during the life of its expansion either. SOE was truly the company that kept on giving.

Vag Assault Weapon fucked around with this message at 11:47 on May 27, 2015

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Slim Killington posted:

Our server did nothing of the sort. Everything was first-to-kill, and we pretty much kept a tight lid on everything. There may have been a list that somebody decided to post online because they wanted very much for everyone to obey it, but that poo poo didn't happen.

Hell, I remember guilds trying to contest poo poo from us and starting this giant bitchfest that led to us swooping into their zones for months and deleting items we already had just to slap them in the face. poo poo was the wild west for a while there.

Slim Killington posted:

These posts are really funny back to back.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I think you're kind of oblivious to the point that we didn't go from server start to CT down in two weeks back in 1999.

But like jetz said above, I wasn't aware that there was a 6 month wait between unlocking things on these servers and that it was tied to a vote. I've never played on one.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 27, 2015

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Slim Killington posted:

I think you're kind of oblivious to the point that we didn't go from server start to CT down in two weeks back in 1999.

But like jetz said above, I wasn't aware that there was a 6 month wait between unlocking things on these servers and that it was tied to a vote. I've never played on one.

If that is the case (I am honestly not sure), I assume that it is there in order partially to keep the Captain Tryhards from unlocking new expansions every fortnight, but moreso to string people along and keep people subscribing. Even then, with people having nearly beaten the end-game of vanilla, I can't see them waiting that long. High-end, min-max egomaniac players, despite being the vast minority, have a remarkable ability to get what they want, even to the detriment of others.

Cynicism aside, the average player seems to be levelling up fairly quickly already, so people in general are going to be ready for Kunark/Plane of Sky* within just a few months, I would imagine.

*This is presuming that Sky is not in the game yet due to it not being in Vanilla EQ and being essentially a Kunark raid zone that predated Kunark.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to putzing around on Ragefire last night, leveled a ranger to 3, and it was awful.

Rerolled into a bard, and this seems more fun, and useful to a group.

Which is sad because I love my ranger on Drinal/Test, but we're years away from that class being useful.

Almost of the mindset to just go back to farting around on test, and level my raidcopy SK until the server is a bit more mature though. 300pp Krono prices :lol:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

JustJeff88 posted:

If that is the case (I am honestly not sure), I assume that it is there in order partially to keep the Captain Tryhards from unlocking new expansions every fortnight, but moreso to string people along and keep people subscribing. Even then, with people having nearly beaten the end-game of vanilla, I can't see them waiting that long. High-end, min-max egomaniac players, despite being the vast minority, have a remarkable ability to get what they want, even to the detriment of others.

The first progression servers, Combine and Sleeper, were rapid unlocking of the next expansion after each one was beaten. Maybe Instant, maybe a few days, I'm not sure. These servers caught up to live and were merged in. RoI came from one of these servers.

The next set of progression servers, Fippy and Vulak, had an additional vote + ~6 weeks before unlocking each expansion. They are currently dead in HoT and SoF.

The current set of progression servers, Ragefire and Lockjaw, have a 6 month wait after an expansions is beat before the vote to unlock the next expansion.. The ETA on these catching up to live is sometime after the heat death of the universe.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!

JustJeff88 posted:

Cynicism aside, the average player seems to be levelling up fairly quickly already, so people in general are going to be ready for Kunark/Plane of Sky* within just a few months, I would imagine.

*This is presuming that Sky is not in the game yet due to it not being in Vanilla EQ and being essentially a Kunark raid zone that predated Kunark.

Sky is in.
Hole is in.

Hopefully they will do a new poll sometime before Kunark and after the server splits about adjusting the 6 month lockout, but even if they don't we'll still be playing.
We enjoy EQ just like everyone else, but for a lot of us it was the epic monster battles with dragons, giants, and gods. Instead of fisticuffs with a gnoll somewhere.

Looking at the raid window thing from the Naggy kill there are only 2 characters on there I don't recognize immediately who could be boxes, or they could simply be someone I don't know. Everyone else is their own person.

Had to kill bosses as quickly as possible to start the timer for next expansion, all of us want to play ragefire, but aren't satisfied with 6 months of classic or more.

Krazuel fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 27, 2015

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

Now you might be telling yourself god drat that sounds like the single dumbest thing I have ever heard about a video game, surely they learned their lesson from that, right? Nope, the next expansion had had similar problems. Its boss wasnt beaten during the life of its expansion either. SOE was truly the company that kept on giving.

I thought Cestus Dei killed OMM before Dragons of Norrath came out.

OMM wasn't hard because he hit retard strong like Tunat, OMM was hard because people didn't understand that the mask mechanic could be completely bypassed by having competent people time their dispel. The masks just made him harder because of the agro wipe, and if you failed a mask click when you were doing that particular method, you were all but guaranteed to lose at least your tank because it changed OMM's minimum hit from 1K to 6K (which is the same as his maximum hit, incidentally Tunat, the boss of GoD, hits for 7K in Tunat form, and he was permanently hasted). OMM mask strat was the first EQ fight where one person loving up could guarantee a wipe, before then everything could be recovered from, just not easily. The only thing that came close was Noqufiel if your dps were literally blind.

Nowadays most people understand that you just use dispel the buff and go on with the fight. Tunat in-era remains difficult, mostly because it comes down to a bit of luck and people sitting around for 20 minutes letting enchanters build un-pullable agro before a warrior AE Taunts.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
The OP is kind of all over the place on this, but where's the most concentrated goon presence now if I want to regularly group/do stuff? Test?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Slim Killington posted:

The OP is kind of all over the place on this, but where's the most concentrated goon presence now if I want to regularly group/do stuff? Test?

The OP is extremely old, and we've had two goon presences since it was made, that have both scattered to the four winds.

There's a few active people on test, a couple on Live, and a couple on Ragefire, but there isn't the presence we enjoyed when goons came back en masse over the last couple years.

For the hell of it I may make some stupid witty guild on Ragefire, but the days of goon presences in EQ are probably gone.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Hoohah posted:

I thought Cestus Dei killed OMM before Dragons of Norrath came out.

Nah they killed him a little over a week after DoN came out.

OMM wasnt technically impossible like Tunat in GoD was, he just had too many mechanics going at once that EQ players werent used to, fast click emote commands to use your item or you ruin everything, fast spawn group adds that will murder everybody if a tank doesnt pick them up split second, multi death touch, all of that when a lot of people were still on 56k modems was not a good thing.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I got on instantly at 3pm EST, are a ton of people playing on the new server instead or did everyone work the nostalgia out of their systems already? or did they just increase the pop cap

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Flavahbeast posted:

I got on instantly at 3pm EST, are a ton of people playing on the new server instead or did everyone work the nostalgia out of their systems already? or did they just increase the pop cap

I think the server slowed down a bit when they announced the new one opening this weekend.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

DBG will just take a play out of WoW's new rulebook when quitting, instead of being forced to talk to a GM who argues with you over the reasons you are quitting you will instead have to camp Raster of Guk before the unsubscribe button lights up.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Dubious posted:

There's a few active people on test, a couple on Live, and a couple on Ragefire, but there isn't the presence we enjoyed when goons came back en masse over the last couple years.

This makes me sad.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Vag Assault Weapon posted:

DBG will just take a play out of WoW's new rulebook when quitting, instead of being forced to talk to a GM who argues with you over the reasons you are quitting you will instead have to camp Raster of Guk before the unsubscribe button lights up.

option to get Raster drop by paying 150 smedbucks presented for convenience to avoid the camp

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Regarding Ragefire: Are there actual groups happening or is it pretty much multiboxing + solo classes only? Kinda want to make a Wizard instead of a Mage or a Necro.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Plenty of groups, but every exp spot is packed. It should be better in a day or two when they implement the changes.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
I'm having a surprising amount of fun tooling around as a level 4 SK right now, though I think the average life span of a gnoll is something in the neighborhood of 5 seconds.

Why did they move Harm Touch to AA? I haven't really played EQ since Kunark was released a forever ago, but I thought Harm/Healing touch were central to those classes as "oh poo poo" buttons.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Captain Stalin posted:

Why did they move Harm Touch to AA? I haven't really played EQ since Kunark was released a forever ago, but I thought Harm/Healing touch were central to those classes as "oh poo poo" buttons.

I don't know the reason for switching it to an AA from just a class ability, but you can still use it even though AAs aren't in yet. Just hotkey it. They let us keep the Origin AA as well :toot:

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

I don't know the reason for switching it to an AA from just a class ability, but you can still use it even though AAs aren't in yet. Just hotkey it. They let us keep the Origin AA as well :toot:

Really? I'll have to work through the UI to find it, for the life of me I can't see the skill anywhere.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

They changed HT to AA because the old HT worked with both Improved Damage focus effects and also Unholy Aura discipline which made its damage scaling insane

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Flavahbeast posted:

been in the queue for an hour at 7PST. New server isnt up till this weekend.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I've had it queued since 6 CST and haven't gotten in.

Snotty By Nature
Sep 11, 2007

Captain Stalin posted:

Really? I'll have to work through the UI to find it, for the life of me I can't see the skill anywhere.

Find the Harmtouch AA and you should be able to just highlight it and click the "Create Hotkey" button like the Origin AA. Maybe someone that actually has a SK can confirm this. It might have a minimum level requirement I'm not sure.

Dompy Bear
Sep 9, 2004
Have you had your gin today?

A Boy and His Herb. posted:

Find the Harmtouch AA and you should be able to just highlight it and click the "Create Hotkey" button like the Origin AA. Maybe someone that actually has a SK can confirm this. It might have a minimum level requirement I'm not sure.

This is correct! It's the same for Lay on Hands if there are any self-loathing paladins out there.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm considering making a paladin and shaman box duo someone please talk me out of this.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Basfreak67 posted:

This is correct! It's the same for Lay on Hands if there are any self-loathing paladins out there.

:soe::soe:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

If you continue to post in a non constructive manner, I'm going to have to be forced to give you a suspension from the forums. Please read the forum guidelines.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Node posted:

If you continue to post in a non constructive manner, I'm going to have to be forced to give you a suspension from the forums. Please read the forum guidelines.

You have been banned for the following reason: Your account has been suspended 5 days for repeated non-constructive posting.. If you wish to appeal this ban, please contact a member of the Daybreak Games Community team. Your ban will be lifted on Jun 1, 2015.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r posted:

You have been banned for the following reason: Your account has been suspended 5 days for repeated non-constructive posting.. If you wish to appeal this ban, please contact a member of the Daybreak Games Community team. Your ban will be lifted on Jun 1, 2015.

:soe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
edit: disregard, I'm retarded.