Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lote posted:

What if it comes out that Clinton alerted Holder to the shady stuff then accepted the donations? That would be a glorious gently caress you.

Yeah I'm sure nobody in the DOJ thought anything shady was going on with FIFA officials until Hillary told them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Was this subforum not made aware of the general rule that responding to trolls only makes them post more?

In political news, my friend set me up for a good Santorum zinger today, but I don't think he knows about the joke so it was wasted, sad day.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

OctoberBlues posted:

Was this subforum not made aware of the general rule that responding to trolls only makes them post more?
Posting in a political forum called Debate and Discussion is trolling easy-mode.

Hmm yes trolling the one forum where people are almost constitutionally compelled to respond to trolling, truly an incredible effort.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Bill Clinton lead the US effort to get World Cup 2022, and during that period his foundation received millions from the actual winners which are at this moment embroiled in a corruption scandal involving millions in bribes. You have to be blinded by partisanship to not find that suspicious.

I'm sure Bill was rubbing his hands and licking his lips as he watched those sweet, sweet charitable donations flow in. What do you not understand about the fact that donations to the Clinton Foundation do not benefit the Clintons? That money is earmarked for charitable work. They don't control it, draw on it, or get commercials in their favor from it. Most people aren't even aware of what the money goes towards, but for the interested, records are available. There is no evidence that the Foundation inures to the benefit of the Clintons personally. Period.

It's a good three steps further removed than the whole PAC scheme that we do allow.

I don't even like the Clintons, but this nonsense is getting insufferable.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2015

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

TBF its a pretty good children's fantasy novel. Tho I thought Mogget was a better sidekick than TDD.

Any true fan of those books would know that you can't simply build a big wall to keep undesirables out. Only through actually addressing the source of the migrants' problems can the border be secured.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

FizFashizzle posted:

SOMEONE didn't read the comics.

Really every candidate should just get an intern to do a quick google on the Avengers and text them back "CANNONBALL, SAY CANNONBALL"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Yeah I'm sure nobody in the DOJ thought anything shady was going on with FIFA officials until Hillary told them

Seems like the DoJ has a grudge against Switzerland. First they go after their banks, then their soccer, next I suspect it will be their watches and their food conglomerates.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's broken in your charisma detector that you find Bush 41 charismatic?

shoedodge.gif

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

DOOP posted:

shoedodge.gif

Wrong one

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DOOP posted:

shoedodge.gif

No one threw shoes at the ol H-Dubya

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Stories from Lindsey Graham's youth, including his high school wrestling buddy who now raises OH GOD BEES!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VpIAjONdo

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nintendo Kid posted:

No one threw shoes at the ol H-Dubya

:negative:

Woops

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DOOP posted:

shoedodge.gif

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bush Sr is America's Grandpa (who may or may not have spent years killing people covertly). He needed to just never be president or VP and instead spend those years doing cool poo poo like skydiving for his birthday and shaving his head in support of a kid with lukemia. :haw:

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

was the culprit Bosnian

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

"Those arms should have been given to a privately-owned mercenary army that answers only to the highest bidder!"

Alter Ego posted:

"Cutting a kid's hair because it was long" is a LONG way from "terrorized gay student and cut his hair while he was pinned to the floor". Hillary's a typical rich person. Mitt Romney is a loving sociopath.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Stories from Lindsey Graham's youth, including his high school wrestling buddy who now raises OH GOD BEES!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8VpIAjONdo

"The queen sets the tone" *cuts to graham*

And he released this???:wtc:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Uhh, no. The South Carolina Conservative Action Alliance released the video. And the SC CAA is not affiliated with Graham. No. Not at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQFh7KvWRc4

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Any true fan of those books would know that you can't simply build a big wall to keep undesirables out. Only through actually addressing the source of the migrants' problems can the border be secured.

The Old Kingdom is a failed state and Obama's lenient policy towards illegal immigration leaves us vulnerable to Free Magic terrorists. In 2016, vote for the candidate who is prepared to take a hard line on mordicants.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh and Jim Webb's top Iowa staffer quit last week, so that non-campaign is going non-well.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Oh and Jim Webb's top Iowa staffer quit last week, so that non-campaign is going non-well.

Wow I thought he'd at least manage to roll into the first debate.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Smiling Knight posted:

Hey, who knows. A top republican strategist might actually be posting on a comedy forum using a character from a children's fantasy novel as his screen name! We've got Rahm, after all.

Nice catch, hardly anyone gets the reference.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, and the uh, what's the third one there. Let's see. Oh five, OK. So, of the people, by the people, and the uhm, ahh, uhh, the EPA. No sir, no sir, we were talking about the government of the people, by the people, the uhh EPA needs to be rebuilt there's no doubt about that. The uhh third... I would... of the people, by the people, and let's see. I can't, the third. Sorry. Oops.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Jackson Taus posted:

Approximately everybody defends the practice of accepting charitable donations to help poor people in Africa and Asia. Approximately everybody opposes the practice of taking money in exchange for official favors. There is, right now, no serious and credible claim being put forward that the Clintons did any sort of quid pro quo. The ones espoused in this thread are extremely weak (and largely conjectural), and some are laughable (bribing Bill Clinton to undersell the US 2022 case instead of in addition to the FIFA guys voting is particularly ridiculous).

As I said before, people have been convicted recently of misconduct without even establishing a "quo", the idea that a definitive link between benefit and service needs to be solid is a canard. "Conflict of interest" doesn't mean you did something wrong, it means you put yourself in between two different groups with the appearance of impropriety - policies against conflicts exist to avoid those situations from the start.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm getting that sinking feeling where a community has self-selected into such a narrow range that anyone with a position outside the norm is ruining the picnic and "trolling".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheDisreputableDog posted:

As I said before, people have been convicted recently of misconduct without even establishing a "quo",

Clintons haven't, next.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, and the uh, what's the third one there. Let's see. Oh five, OK. So, of the people, by the people, and the uhm, ahh, uhh, the EPA. No sir, no sir, we were talking about the government of the people, by the people, the uhh EPA needs to be rebuilt there's no doubt about that. The uhh third... I would... of the people, by the people, and let's see. I can't, the third. Sorry. Oops.

:clap: never, ever gets old.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
How many kids does he have? Is the 3rd one a gently caress-up?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wow I thought he'd at least manage to roll into the first debate.

Webb spent the weekend at the Scottish Games in Greenfield, SC, watching axe throwing and sword fighting contests.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is there any realistic reason at all to think Sanders even makes it past the democratic party? Because a few minutes on google have made a fan-loving-tastic first impression of him for me and also all but convinced me that he's a dead campaign running.

If enough people get out and punch a ballot for him in the primary, he will be the nominee. Yes, there is all sorts of organizational fuckery that the DNC might pull to keep him off the ticket, but they can't do it without coming off as total douchebags, alienating the base, and ruining Hillary's chances in the general election.

If you want to see Sanders nominated, then you can take a few stances. The easiest is siting back and posting poo poo on an Internet forum while you wait for the primary to roll around, and keep your fingers crossed he makes it on the ballot. You could go a step further and look up his campaign office in your state, and try to volunteer to canvas for him to make sure he is on your state's ballot.

I know it's hip to be cynical around here, and honestly after obamamania '08 and the ensuing eight years of varying degrees of disappointment tempered by the occasional silver lining, I understand. But Sanders is the real deal. He might not get nominated. If nominated, he might not win the general. If elected, he might not get to enact his whole agenda. But at all times I trust him to act in good faith. Some people here legitimately like HRC, and I'm cool with that, but calling Bernie's campaign dead in the water is a gross underestimation of that cranky old Jew.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Bernies campaign isn't dead in the water, but that's only because he isn't trying to win.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 16, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

As I said before, people have been convicted recently of misconduct without even establishing a "quo", the idea that a definitive link between benefit and service needs to be solid is a canard. "Conflict of interest" doesn't mean you did something wrong, it means you put yourself in between two different groups with the appearance of impropriety - policies against conflicts exist to avoid those situations from the start.

So you agree that there's no basis to claim that Hillary "did something wrong"? And if there's no basis to claim that Hillary "did something wrong", then why is this a story?

Weltlich posted:

If enough people get out and punch a ballot for him in the primary, he will be the nominee. Yes, there is all sorts of organizational fuckery that the DNC might pull to keep him off the ticket, but they can't do it without coming off as total douchebags, alienating the base, and ruining Hillary's chances in the general election.

Generally most of the organizational fuckery is done in determining the primary process with things like ballot access requirements or nominating method (caucus vs. primary, assembled vs. unassembled for the caucuses, open vs. closed for the primary), stuff that's set on a race-by-race basis at the lower levels, but is more or less pre-decided a year out on the Presidential level.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Weltlich posted:

If you want to see Sanders nominated, then you can take a few stances. The easiest is siting back and posting poo poo on an Internet forum while you wait for the primary to roll around, and keep your fingers crossed he makes it on the ballot. You could go a step further and look up his campaign office in your state, and try to volunteer to canvas for him to make sure he is on your state's ballot.

I know it's hip to be cynical around here, and honestly after obamamania '08 and the ensuing eight years of varying degrees of disappointment tempered by the occasional silver lining, I understand. But Sanders is the real deal. He might not get nominated. If nominated, he might not win the general. If elected, he might not get to enact his whole agenda. But at all times I trust him to act in good faith. Some people here legitimately like HRC, and I'm cool with that, but calling Bernie's campaign dead in the water is a gross underestimation of that cranky old Jew.

You can also just donate :20bux:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I'm getting that sinking feeling where a community has self-selected into such a narrow range that anyone with a position outside the norm is ruining the picnic and "trolling".

If I understand right, the first post I've quoted points out where your argument doesn't line up with other people's. If it's not necessary by your standard for there to be provable quid-pro-quo, then you're racing on a different track from anybody who think such a thing needs to be provable. Which isn't trolling necessarily, but I think it does mean nobody's going to be happy.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BristolSOF posted:

He's pro-choice, in favor of gay rights, for gun control and pro-environment. Bills himself as a modern Teddy Roosevelt.

If you were forced to pick a GOP candidate - and let me stress forced - it would probably be him (although his hawkish Foreign Policy wouldn't sit well with many; but it's probably not far off HRC's).

Pataki for all intents and purposes was a better governor than everyone since. That's admittedly less because he was particularly good and more because his successors have just been the absolute worst, but still, as far as republicans go he's the closest thing to a respectable candidate. Of course, for the reasons you listed, not to mention how long he's been out of the public eye, he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of making it anywhere.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Kalman posted:

Bernies campaign isn't dead in the water, but that's only because he isn't trying to win.

Bernie has more support in the "locked up" Dem primary than half the clowns in the GOP primary combined do in theirs. But for some reason, Rubio is a serious candidate, but Bernie is not.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Weltlich posted:

If nominated, he might not win the general.

I like Bernie and all, but this is my concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Bernie has more support in the "locked up" Dem primary than half the clowns in the GOP primary combined do in theirs. But for some reason, Rubio is a serious candidate, but Bernie is not.

It's all relative - Bernie can have 20%, but if Hillary has 80%, he is dead in the water as to winning. If Rubio has 15%, but the top R candidate only has 20%, he's got a reasonable chance.

• Locked thread