Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

McFunkerson posted:

Speaking of stands, I just ordered this:

https://store.griffintechnology.com/watchstand

Normally $30, but there is a code at the top of the page for Memorial Day that drops the price to $22.50. However it doesn't ship for a couple weeks.

I like that It has a stand for the iPhone as well.

Free shipping, too. 3 weeks for delivery doesn't bother me since it just means that there will be less of a gap between the accessory's arrival and the actual watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

rage-saq posted:

The cheapish pandawell leather strap on amazon is actually decent. The lugs that were included are pretty much a flawless fit and match the finish of the stainless perfectly, and while the leather band is on the cheap side, its perfectly functional. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the sport band for regular wear, but given my preference for leather straps thats not a surprise.

Just ordered one of these, along with the HiRise stand. Will have 'em Tuesday, cannot wait.

Though, to be honest, I like the Sport band a lot better than I expected to.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EVGA Longoria posted:

Just ordered one of these, along with the HiRise stand. Will have 'em Tuesday, cannot wait.

The sport band is ok. Its a little on the chunky side, which isn't a problem, but it really molds and sticks to your body and the rubbery texture leaves a little weird feeling on your arm after you take it off. I'm keeping mine around for any events where the sport band is appropriate but I'll be using a leather band for the rest of the time.
Because I can't help it I ordered this deployant strap off amazon and I'll see how the 23mm fits on the lugs. If I measure out the existing band that I got its just a few hairs under 24mm, so a 24mm might fit better but I can't find one in the above style.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

weese36 posted:

That doesn't look convoluted to you?
It's not really that different than having your most used apps on the home page of your phone.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's not really that different than having your most used apps on the home page of your phone.

The only thing I truly dislike about the home screen on the watch is the app icons are too close together. I'm mostly used to it at this point, but I've definitely been slightly off a few times and opened the wrong app.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

rage-saq posted:

The cheapish pandawell leather strap on amazon is actually decent. The lugs that were included are pretty much a flawless fit and match the finish of the stainless perfectly, and while the leather band is on the cheap side, its perfectly functional. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the sport band for regular wear, but given my preference for leather straps thats not a surprise.

Did this include any kind of swappable option for those of us who ordered the aluminum space gray?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

bloodysabbath posted:

Did this include any kind of swappable option for those of us who ordered the aluminum space gray?

The lugs? Yes, they are included and they look factory. I've seen plenty of pictures out there people have taken of lugs that are too big/small/wrong finish/etc, this is was the first one I saw that had consistent recommendations for 'factory' fit.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

McFunkerson posted:

Speaking of stands, I just ordered this:

https://store.griffintechnology.com/watchstand

Normally $30, but there is a code at the top of the page for Memorial Day that drops the price to $22.50. However it doesn't ship for a couple weeks.

I like that It has a stand for the iPhone as well.

Yup, Dildo.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

gohmak posted:

Yup, Dildo.

That's gonna make for awkward talk after the date progresses to the bedroom.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

gohmak posted:

Yup, Dildo.

I guess if you want to see a dildo then you're going to see a dildo... I feel like he squared off shape of it would make for a bad experience is practice though. Ymmv.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
waiting on this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKBDJEkECY

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_i=desktop

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Space Racist posted:

Spigen makes an aluminum one that goes for $20 on Amazon. Haven't tried it myself it looks pretty decent.

I can confirm it's pretty decent/I have no complaints. Having a stand in general is actually really worth it, though. After using a stand exclusively for a few weeks, I forgot how comparably awkward the charger was when it's loose.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Woke up to an Amex charge from Apple this morning, finally. I kind of feel like I am going to wind up being a little let down because I have hyped this thing up in my head for so long.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Woke up to an Amex charge from Apple this morning, finally. I kind of feel like I am going to wind up being a little let down because I have hyped this thing up in my head for so long.

When/what did you order? I'm tired of staring at my late June ship date.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Black 42mm sport with black band, ordered roughly an hour after they went on sale. Originally my ship date was just "June" then changed to May 29-June 11 whenever they updated things a month or so ago.

I have it being shipped to work, and I fly home on the 29th for my days off, so knowing my luck it'll probably show up on the 30th when I'm not here.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wealthy Chinese man buys two gold Apple Watch Editions for his dog

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

That is ridiculous why would a dog need more than one watch at a time?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Poor Chinese man finds apple watch edition while searching through dog feces for edible scraps.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Can someone explain to me how to properly pronounce 'tuhao'? Because I know that'll come in handy.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
e;nm

dc3k fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 27, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

ephori posted:

Can someone explain to me how to properly pronounce 'tuhao'? Because I know that'll come in handy.

And is it a really good insult? I was bored at work a few weeks ago and played along with some scumbag Indian place trying to get me to install malware on my PC. After he caught on that I was dicking with him he started calling me a sister loving cocksucker that eats poop or something and I was like drat I really wish I had some sort of insult that cuts really deep at some Indian piece of poo poo scammer. I feel like I should know more culturally specific epithets now that we live in a global village.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I really wish I had some sort of insult that cuts really deep at some Indian piece of poo poo scammer.

I'm assuming something regarding cows? Being that they are sacred and all. Cowfucker perhaps? I dunno...

Inspect Your Gadgets Apple Watch - Three Olives seeks cultural insults

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

And is it a really good insult? I was bored at work a few weeks ago and played along with some scumbag Indian place trying to get me to install malware on my PC. After he caught on that I was dicking with him he started calling me a sister loving cocksucker that eats poop or something and I was like drat I really wish I had some sort of insult that cuts really deep at some Indian piece of poo poo scammer. I feel like I should know more culturally specific epithets now that we live in a global village.

Calling them a Paki seems effective in the three British commonwealth countries I've lived in. Same goes for calling a Kiwi an Aussie or a Canadian a Yank. We hate the tribe we're closest to.

I'm married to a half Indian whose family is from Kenya, that gets tricky. "You're from the east side of Nairobi!"

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

This would have never happened under Steve Jabs.

lol

rear end Catchcum posted:

Trip report: single press took me to the home screen, double press took me to the last used app, and tried single pressing again but the battery died

lool

Sharrow posted:

Apple-made apps can be reached from complications/glances/notifications and all the third-party apps are poorly-designed laggy pieces of poo poo anyway, so accessing the app screen turns out to be largely irrelevant.

Just pretend it's the original iPhone all over again and wait for Watch OS 2.

Bingo.

OracleX posted:

There is a much simpler way to reach the watch face without even pressing the crown once. Just cover the screen with a palm slap and then tap the face to make the screen turn on. It's faster than pressing the crown once and works every time. Try it and love it.

This too, works like a champ.

Also Siri is the #1 interaction mode, who touches their watch.

Got the 42 Black SS Link Friday and the sport band tugs arm hair much worse than the link.

Also got the leather standard buckle planning to return because of mismatched lugs but drat the case is sexy and the leather band itself actually looks super hawt.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eltoozero posted:

Got the 42 Black SS Link Friday and the sport band tugs arm hair much worse than the link.

I haven't noticed any hair tugging with the sport band. Its possibly the most comfortable band I've worn in a long time.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I haven't noticed any hair tugging with the sport band. Its possibly the most comfortable band I've worn in a long time.

Just painful to put on really: putting the sport band on once is worse than four days of link bracelet.

I'm using the snap then slide method of attaching the sport band, for snug fit, natch.

I think I pulled 5 links out to get a good fit, and frankly popping the fit links temporarily makes changing the band a breeze, otherwise sliding the lug out feels like it needs lube.

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

eltoozero posted:

Just painful to put on really: putting the sport band on once is worse than four days of link bracelet.

I'm using the snap then slide method of attaching the sport band, for snug fit, natch.

I think I pulled 5 links out to get a good fit, and frankly popping the fit links temporarily makes changing the band a breeze, otherwise sliding the lug out feels like it needs lube.

You just need to spend more time warming the watch up. You can't rush things, if you take your time you will both enjoy it more.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

MarcusSA posted:

My left wrist is essentially waxed at this point but the the sports band tongue pinches worse than the link. The Link bracelet is the most comfortable and nice looking of the bands. That includes the Milanese loop I ordered for my wife.

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003

gohmak posted:

My left wrist is essentially waxed at this point but the the sports band tongue pinches worse than the link. The Link bracelet is the most comfortable and nice looking of the bands. That includes the Milanese loop I ordered for my wife.

You tried the leather classic buckle?

Cause that strap is dope; leather is so super primo my "real" watch buddy was like "this is super nice leather".

Actually he had positive comments about all the straps, sport was soft and smooth, link was impressive for re-sizing, slimness, and the pure mechanics of it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How about the leather loop?

And some day old news, granted already assumed for a while but confirmed now, native SDK including access to sensors coming at WWDC:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/27/apples-jeff-williams-says-native-watch-sdk-will-give-direct-access-to-sensors/

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

eltoozero posted:

You tried the leather classic buckle?

Cause that strap is dope; leather is so super primo my "real" watch buddy was like "this is super nice leather".

Actually he had positive comments about all the straps, sport was soft and smooth, link was impressive for re-sizing, slimness, and the pure mechanics of it.

Really? I tried the classic buckle and the leather felt kinda cheapish to me. You could've told me it was pleather and I would've believed you.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The bands are real leather. It's leather that has been sliced thin as hell and then formed by machine, though - as I suspect handmade straps would never meet the tolerances required to stuff tiny magnets into each segment in a timely manner.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
The classic leather band is machine formed and the parts of the outer band is some kind of layer/coating that wears off as some users have already reported. For $150 it is not even remotely close to a good value, especially considering its practically fake leather. You can do a lot better with some watch lug adapters and a small amount of money spent on a quality off the shelf leather band, and there are plenty of crazy options out there for custom/exotic leathers that will come in at comparable costs.
Been on vacation with my family the past few days and the watch has come in handy.
2 best uses so far (over straight iphone experience)
1: driving around an unfamiliar town to new destinations using apple map navigation integration.
2: dark sky notifying about upcoming rain

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Got mine today. Haven't had much time to tinker with it yet. Some of the apps load really slow. But I'm liking it over my Pebble.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

japtor posted:

How about the leather loop?

And some day old news, granted already assumed for a while but confirmed now, native SDK including access to sensors coming at WWDC:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/27/apples-jeff-williams-says-native-watch-sdk-will-give-direct-access-to-sensors/

I've heard conflicting things on this. From what I've been reading, they're releasing it at WWDC as much as discussing a preview of it, with the release coming in the fall.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Nut Bunnies posted:

I've heard conflicting things on this. From what I've been reading, they're releasing it at WWDC as much as discussing a preview of it, with the release coming in the fall.

It will be exactly the same as new versions of iOS I would guess. Revealed and given access to developers at WWDC, end users can finally use it in September or whatever.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

monkeu posted:

It will be exactly the same as new versions of iOS I would guess. Revealed and given access to developers at WWDC, end users can finally use it in September or whatever.
Yeah most likely, basically announcement with beta release there along with some nebulous final release timeframe like "Fall".

Can't wait for non developers to install betas and complain about them crashing and making their watches unusable :v:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

japtor posted:

Yeah most likely, basically announcement with beta release there along with some nebulous final release timeframe like "Fall".

Can't wait for non developers to install betas and complain about them crashing and making their watches unusable :v:
Hi I'm forums user pipebomb and I can add you to the device list on my dev account so you can try the new iOS beta for the low low price of $25. Act now. Only 99 slots available.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Got the band in Tuesday, been using it since. Looks a lot nicer than my sport band did. The lugs are definitely designed for the AppleWatch and not the Sport, but they don't look half bad.

Also, the stand is a must. Charging on a stand is a lot nicer than just willy-nilly, and it's reminding me I want a HiRise for my phone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Hi I'm forums user pipebomb and I can add you to the device list on my dev account so you can try the new iOS beta for the low low price of $25. Act now. Only 99 slots available.

Did he ever get poo poo on for that? Selling beta access is about the shadiest thing you can do.

• Locked thread