Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

NZAmoeba posted:

On Android 4.1.2 with my galaxy s3, the thread list on forums and bookmark pages only registers touch on the right hand side of the screen. About 3/4 of the screen doesn't seem to do anything at all, for both taps and scrolls.

Bug is new in this version of the app.

Same OS on my Xperia Ion, same bug. I also can't go into any subforums because it always thinks I'm on the bookmarks page when tapping the screen. Old version would be great until things get sorted out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Jusupov posted:

Why does the blue bar at the top with the thread name take up a sixth of my screen

I'd like to add (again) that hiding actionbar when scrolling is a pretty good thing on phones and is very easy to implement.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

New update is slick. Thanks for letting us disable FABs as having that post icon there was annoying. In thread view the option to disable multiple line post doesn't seem to work, they are still multiple lines when I turn it off. Also is there any way to hide the information like number of pages and last poster? I generally don't care about that and just like having a nice clean list of threads.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to the new update! This app has always been my most used app by far.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jusupov posted:

Yeah I want the old version back. I can't even change any settings on this since the options menu doesn't scroll on my phone

Why does the blue bar at the top with the thread name take up a sixth of my screen

What model phone do you have, and what version number of Android is it on? Is it rooted, custom ROMs or anything like that?

cthulhoo posted:

I'd like to add (again) that hiding actionbar when scrolling is a pretty good thing on phones and is very easy to implement.

Go for it!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

lol no I'm not getting myself into a likely terrible android codebase adventure

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Could you please provide a link to the previous version of the app?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Jubs posted:

Could you please provide a link to the previous version of the app?

As long as I won't get bitched out for it and someone can provide me with somewhere to upload it, I still have the apk for 3.1.2b.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The new version works fine on my n5 and the theme looks really good.

It is pretty weird that the last poster in a thread is listed above the thread title and in a bigger font, though. I don't really give a poo poo who posted in a thread last, like ever.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Just popping in to say the new version looks beautiful on my Moto X (gen 1), and thank you for adding the BYOB stylesheet :rznv:

Do you ever plan to allow posting new threads? I know in most of the grey forums, you probably wouldn't want to write a new OP on a phone, but in byob and fyad and probably gbs, new threads can come and go very quickly. Also I've heard iphone users can post a new thread from their app :argh:

That being said I appreciate the hell out of the awful app and I'm not gonna whine if one feature is missing.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Sorry, I picked the long weekend with the bank holiday monday for release but then got sick and didn't have much time this week.

I'll work through the thread since my last page and update this post along the way.

alnilam posted:

Do you ever plan to allow posting new threads? I know in most of the grey forums, you probably wouldn't want to write a new OP on a phone, but in byob and fyad and probably gbs, new threads can come and go very quickly. Also I've heard iphone users can post a new thread from their app :argh:
It's on the list and has been for a while but no one (including myself) has tackled it yet. It's one of the more 'hazardous' feature due to autoban and needs to work 100% properly. It also requires a few things like thread tag selection that are not in the app at all yet so I guess :effort: is a part too.

radiatinglines posted:

The new version works fine on my n5 and the theme looks really good.

It is pretty weird that the last poster in a thread is listed above the thread title and in a bigger font, though. I don't really give a poo poo who posted in a thread last, like ever.
That's not how it's supposed to look. Care to share a (thumbnailed) screenshot?
Still, turning off thread info sounds like a good idea.

site posted:

As long as I won't get bitched out for it and someone can provide me with somewhere to upload it, I still have the apk for 3.1.2b.
I'd rather you didn't post a link directly in the thread, though you can distribute it to people in need via PM or whatever if you want.
Awful versions are fragmented as it is and I'd rather not add to that:

106 is 3.1.2b while 120 is current 3.2.0.2, hell 10% are still on 3.0.5(86) for whatever reason.
If you have bugs that prevent you from using Awful well, consider using Something as a stopgap

cthulhoo posted:

cthulhoo posted:

lol no I'm not getting myself into a likely terrible android codebase adventure
But it's so easy.

Internet Explorer posted:

New update is slick. Thanks for letting us disable FABs as having that post icon there was annoying. In thread view the option to disable multiple line post doesn't seem to work, they are still multiple lines when I turn it off. Also is there any way to hide the information like number of pages and last poster? I generally don't care about that and just like having a nice clean list of threads.
Multi line is only for the forum index page now (hence the "Wrap forum titles").

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The FAB in official Google apps isn't placed way out into the middle of the frame, though (see the difference in margin padding as compared to, say, Gmail). Also, in some other apps the FAB disappears when you scroll a list, and only reappears once the scrolling has ended for a few seconds. I can't say I know what the "best" setting for the button would be in Awful, but the current one seems to obscure more of the screen than it needs to, more often than it needs to, and I don't see any obvious reason why it needs to do this.
Can I get a screen shot? Sounds like your fab is not where it's supposed to be.

The Merkinman posted:

Maybe the SomethingAwful blue with a slight shadow texture? I get a solid color when I use the gmail app for a non @gmail address.
Sounds like an idea. I'll give it a try.

As for the people getting logged out, I can't reproduce it anymore. If someone has a reproduceable way to get logged out please post it here. I tried all the ways that have been suggested so far (posting, editing, changing pages, bookmarks).

I'd also like to give a thanks to baka-kaba for helping out :)

Sereri fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 27, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Sereri posted:

But it's so easy.

I know its easy because I implemented it in my app before. There's no need to become passive-aggressive even if people don't immediately do stuff for you for free, friend. :shrug:

e: I actually went as far as trying to import awful.apk into android studio but then it started to complain about dependencies and basically :effort:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

site posted:

I don't have PM, it would be cool if you could send the link to mcx at sdf dot org. Thanks

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

I know its easy because I implemented it in my app before. There's no need to become passive-aggressive even if people don't immediately do stuff for you for free, friend. :shrug:

e: I actually went as far as trying to import awful.apk into android studio but then it started to complain about dependencies and basically :effort:.

- he says, after asking for the second time for a feature in a free app to be added/changed, adding "it's easy!"

(I don't actually think what you said was rude or anything, but come on, haha)

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

I'm sorry if its a miscommunication of some kind, I guess, I only said what I meant to say, i.e. literally. Alright, I'll shut up now.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I'll take a pm, or you can email it to sentient.data at gmail if they won't screw with apks

E: can we get an official md5/sha on the old version's apk so we know it's the legit one floating around?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Sereri posted:

Can I get a screen shot? Sounds like your fab is not where it's supposed to be.

yup. I'm on a Nexus 4 btw:

compare to the calendar app:

I noticed another thing too. If I toggle the FAB option, it appears or disappears as soon as I go back out of the options menus. But the buffer space at the bottom of a thread page doesn't change until I kill and restart the app.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sereri posted:

Sorry, I picked the long weekend with the bank holiday monday for release but then got sick and didn't have much time this week.

Multi line is only for the forum index page now (hence the "Wrap forum titles").

You're allowed to be sick / not work on the app, it's not a job. :)

I'm not sure I understand 100%, but I guess my question is can I disable multi-line on the bookmarks page? If not, could you consider that as a feature request. Thanks again for all of the hard work!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Weird thing I just noticed that probably isn't a problem but I'll mention it in case it is: I was on the last page of a thread with two posts on the page, they were long enough that I had to scroll down but it was a very short distance. Anyway from the top of the page I flicked to scroll down and the refresh spinning icon flew from the top down to the bottom over the thread. I could get it to fly up and down by flicking to scroll, not every time but enough that it was amusing. Can't get a screen cap obviously. Haven't tried to replicate yet.

Android version 5.0 on a galaxy note 3.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mercury Hat posted:

Weird thing I just noticed that probably isn't a problem but I'll mention it in case it is: I was on the last page of a thread with two posts on the page, they were long enough that I had to scroll down but it was a very short distance. Anyway from the top of the page I flicked to scroll down and the refresh spinning icon flew from the top down to the bottom over the thread. I could get it to fly up and down by flicking to scroll, not every time but enough that it was amusing. Can't get a screen cap obviously. Haven't tried to replicate yet.

I get this occasionally too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Internet Explorer posted:

You're allowed to be sick / not work on the app, it's not a job. :)

I'm not sure I understand 100%, but I guess my question is can I disable multi-line on the bookmarks page? If not, could you consider that as a feature request. Thanks again for all of the hard work!

You mean like a single ellipsized line?
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow ju...
vs
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow
just wow

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I noticed that too, it should be a 16dp margin by the guidelines, but it looks like it's inset into the post area by the same amount. If it were 16dp from the edge it would probably line up against the border of the post area and look a bit weird, so it might have been a stylistic choice/compromise

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mercury Hat posted:

I've also seen this a few times

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

baka kaba posted:

You mean like a single ellipsized line?
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow ju...
vs
Here is some long-rear end thread title wow
just wow

I noticed that too, it should be a 16dp margin by the guidelines, but it looks like it's inset into the post area by the same amount. If it were 16dp from the edge it would probably line up against the border of the post area and look a bit weird, so it might have been a stylistic choice/compromise

I would prefer the thread title get cut off rather than wrap to the next line. Obviously, I am not saying it should be the default, only it would be nice if it was an option like it used to be. I browse from bookmarks on my phone 99% of the time and I already know what thread it is by the first 40 characters or whatever. I think there are quite a few people who do the same thing. And yeah, like Sereri said earlier in the thread an option to remove the number of pages and the last poster would be cool, because I don't think most people care about that sort of thing. Just an option, not the default. Both options would make browsing bookmarks easier.

Thanks baka kaba. I am sure Sereri appreciates the help. And we all appreciate the new shininess.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sereri, I installed the version with logging you sent me.

Anything else I need to do? Like... Do I have to get the logs to you, or do you get them automatically?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sereri, I installed the version with logging you sent me.

Anything else I need to do? Like... Do I have to get the logs to you, or do you get them automatically?

It just posts more infos into the system log (logcat). You can access it via adb (like this for example).

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I noticed another thing too. If I toggle the FAB option, it appears or disappears as soon as I go back out of the options menus. But the buffer space at the bottom of a thread page doesn't change until I kill and restart the app.

Oh ok, yeah that's more or less how it's supposed to be. The guidelines say 16dp so I used 16dp. Didn't really notice the Google FABs being closer to the bottom right corner. Either they're not sticking to their guidelines or there is some weirdness going on with the view layout.

As for the padding at the bottom, it's part of the fixed code of the webview and is only changed when the webview is created. I'll see if I can move the spacing to the rest of the posts so it would at least change when the page is refreshed or changed.

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 28, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Sereri posted:

It just posts more infos into the system log (logcat). You can access it via adb (like this for example).

Ahh, OK. So next time I get the 'loading failed' error I'll get the log.

Also, I've still seen this happen a couple times:

It happens only some of the time if I scroll in a thread, then stop. As soon as I start scrolling again it goes away.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Problem I'm running into is that I can't open up any sub-forums. When I click the arrow on the left of the screen that should drop down the sub-forum choices, it opens a thread from the most recent forum I was looking at.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

What version number of Android are y'all on where you're having these problems? The kind where the display is lying to you and it responds like you're tapping on a different list

I bet Sereri's super pleased that they just put all that material stuff in the support library a week after Awful's MD release :v:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
4.0.4 here; longer load times than I ever got with the old app, options that don't want to save (disabling the fab button specifically) until I go through the menu at least 3 times, what seems to be an invisible box about the size of the left side pullout that stops all interaction on the screen forcing me to scroll with an area about the width of the new post numbers, moving from bookmarks to the side tab to a forum displaying and scrolling the forum but clicking pulls the entry in that position from the bookmark list which means forum browsing is basically impossible, and probably more I could find if I could bring myself to keep using the new version.

Seriously, I work in software and know how big of a deal a complete refactoring is which it seems to be is the case here, but the new app is completely UNUSABLE on an older phone. If you're not going to share the apk here, then at least put it up in the store as Awful: Whiner's Version or some poo poo. The whole reason I stuck with Android over WP8.1 was because WP's Awful app completely sucks compared to the Andorid version (mainly due to not being able to go to the latest unread post) and the lack of Pebble support. I don't want to feel like it was the wrong decision

vvv:
Fine, hyperbole since I'm sure there are similarly-aged phones that don't have issues, but mine isn't one of them. Its specs are pretty crappy by current standards, but it does (or at least did) everything I needed; it might be the resolution or ram that are the sticking points (320x480, 512mb) since those are its weakest areas, but the point remains that what once worked now doesn't

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 29, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Sentient Data posted:

Seriously, I work in software and know how big of a deal a complete refactoring is which it seems to be is the case here, but the new app is completely UNUSABLE on an older phone.

Works fine on a Galaxy Nexus.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So no 1 star reviews yet that it doesn't* work on Android M which has been out for mere hours?

*it may actually work, I don't know, I'm not running Android M.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm 4.1.1 on a 小米Mi2S

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sentient Data posted:

Its specs are pretty crappy by current standards, but it does (or at least did) everything I needed; it might be the resolution or ram that are the sticking points (320x480, 512mb) since those are its weakest areas, but the point remains that what once worked now doesn't
This is The Android Experience Dot T X T, and I am laughing at your post. It is time to upgrade from your Nexus One or whatever.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I'm on a 3 year old Galaxy S 3 and it's perfectly fine. You get what you pay for.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm still getting the failed loading error. It's seems there's no real rhyme or reason for it either as in sometimes it'll work fine for like ten minutes or just not work at all.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm still getting the failed loading error. It's seems there's no real rhyme or reason for it either as in sometimes it'll work fine for like ten minutes or just not work at all.

The forums have been flaky for the past few weeks, that may have something to do with it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

baka kaba posted:

What model phone do you have, and what version number of Android is it on? Is it rooted, custom ROMs or anything like that?

Samsung galaxy xcover 2 GT-S7710 android version 4.1.2.

I did manage to open the settings menu and disable the floating reply button. But I only could do it on initial start when it only had one link at the top and even then I had to touch the bottom of the screen with no visible text to open up the options.

Play store has a similar menu and scrolling works there.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

The Merkinman posted:

So no 1 star reviews yet that it doesn't* work on Android M which has been out for mere hours?

*it may actually work, I don't know, I'm not running Android M.

Works fine on my N9 with M.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Jusupov posted:

Samsung galaxy xcover 2 GT-S7710 android version 4.1.2.

I did manage to open the settings menu and disable the floating reply button. But I only could do it on initial start when it only had one link at the top and even then I had to touch the bottom of the screen with no visible text to open up the options.

Play store has a similar menu and scrolling works there.

Could you get me a screenshot of when you first open the settings menu? With this one link at the top and blank space you can tap to get to the FAB setting

And are you having the issue in the main app other people are talking about, where you tap on things like a forum name and it's like you tapped on an item from a thread list instead?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

anthonypants posted:

This is The Android Experience Dot T X T, and I am laughing at your post. It is time to upgrade from your Nexus One or whatever.

Uh, the specs on his phone are pretty much an iPhone 3GS, so what does this have to do with the android experience? For that matter if you try to run the current version of the awful app for iOS on a handset that old I don't think it runs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:siren: :frogsiren: :siren:

3.2.0.3 is going out

It should fix the bug where people couldn't scroll and clicking on forum actually tapped on the bookmarks view below.
This seems to be a bug with the page transformation library that probably came on board when I updated the libraries close to launch. Until I can find a version that works, I have disabled it on devices with 4.0 and 4.1.

If you can't wait, you can install this Awful.apk manually.

The update also adds secondary thread tags for A/T and SA-Mart . Thanks baka-kaba :)
:siren: :frogsiren: :siren: