Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

i was thinking about it but i think someone already did an lp of the original ff4-2

gently caress that guy, do it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sunning posted:

It plays out a lot more like a typical F2P game with Monster Hunter style subsystems than a Monster Hunter game for consoles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQlbw7Asltg

Battles play out in real time with you choosing to attack, defend, or use a special ability. It's designed to be played with one hand. Even with its heavily streamlined Monster Hunter gameplay, it's attracting quite a bit of attention. The game reached 1 million downloads in Japan within ten days.

Ewww

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

http://gematsu.com/2015/05/final-fantasy-agito-coming-windows-10

To clarify, Final Fantasy Agito was the original name of Final Fantasy Type-0 back when it was a feature phone game. This Final Fantasy Agito that was released recently last year in Japan is a F2P game for mobile platforms that reuses Type-0's setting art. It's said to be based on the original Agito when it was conceived as a mobile game based around social features. It was initially released on iOS/ANdroid and is now on Windows 10.

At the de:code event, the Agni's Philosophy tech demo from earlier was shown again. Hajime Tabata also attended the event to showcase Luminous Studios and promote DirextX 12. Is it just me or is he wearing a shirt with the NVIDIA logo?

Furthermore, Final Fantasy Mobius will released June 4th in Japan.

There's an absolute graveyard of Capcom mobile games that have been killed after 8-12 months of service. The company is good at identifying trends and chasing after high-growth markets. However, successfully launching in those markets and ensuring long term success seems to elude them.

The most comical thing about Capcom's continued lack of success is that they've probably been one of the more active developers in redirecting resources to mobile game development. They moved mobile development in-house after outsourcing resulted in poor quality. Their better performing mobile games were licensed properties (Smurfs, Snoopy/Peanuts by Beeline Interactive) so they began making more Capcom IP mobile games. They spent tens of millions on new R&D buildings with a good portion set aside for mobile development. They plan on using their new internal staff to make F2P mobile/browser/PC games aimed at emerging and mature markets in mainland Asia. Yet, they haven't had a major success since Smurf's Village.

Möbius is that XIII style phone game correct? I'm curious about that.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The new Dissidia arcade game allows you to play as Bartz and Squall. You can draw magic for ten minutes like the good old days.

It's common for most Japanese mobile games to be playable on one hand in portrait mode due to their feature phone heritage. A lot of people tend to play on their feet or feign doing something productive like checking business emails while on public transportation.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Möbius is that XIII style phone game correct? I'm curious about that.

Mobius has a lot of FFXIII creative staff working on it. Toriyama is not attached to the project. Instead, the lead programmer of Lightning Returns is the 'project leader.' The game reuses a FFXIII art assets and shares similarities with with the FFXIII trilogy's battle system. It's on the Unity engine like many other Square-Enix mobile games.

However, it's still a F2P game with a stamina gauge and a slot machine system for acquiring special equipment. All of Square-Enix's attempts to sell games a premium price in the paid app section, such as The World Ends With You for iOS, weren't very successful. The Mobius development team said they plan on bringing the game overseas.

If Mobius is successful, we'll probably see more games of this console JRPG-F2P hybrid style by the company's Japanese developers. They're likely other games of this type in development already.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

As long as they continue to make good console/PC games too then I don't care how many F2P mobile games they create.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Xavier434 posted:

As long as they continue to make good console/PC games too then I don't care how many F2P mobile games they create.

The ideal would be that the 'easy' mobile money is used to fund more ambitious projects on consoles but I don't really know what insentive S-E would actually have to do that rather than just going easy mobile money 100% of the time.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

The ideal would be that the 'easy' mobile money is used to fund more ambitious projects on consoles but I don't really know what insentive S-E would actually have to do that rather than just going easy mobile money 100% of the time.

Well, the simple answer is because everyone only has so much disposable time per day/week/month. In an ideal world for SE, everyone who has any interest in SE's mobile games would play them 100% of the time that they are willing to dedicate to mobile gaming. That would produce maximum mobile revenue, but that does not equate to maximum potential revenue that SE can make across the entire gaming industry. There is a separate market share of people who are not mobile gamers but will buy and play SE games on console/PC. There are also players who play both and divide their time between mobile and console/PC gaming. If SE wants to make the most money possible then they would aim to capture all of these kinds of gamers rather than only limit themselves to one type which is the least risky and most profitable at the time.

Beyond that, diversifying one's business portfolio is wise advice which has remained true well beyond the age of anyone posting in this thread. SE would do well to understand and embrace that if they do not already.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I could open up an app on my phone that lets me jump directly into XIII's battle system for 5 to 10 minutes a day, that would be rad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Minrad posted:

I haven't played the steam port but I did play the 3d remake on tablet that the port is uh, porting.

I kind of like/hated the challenge modes, so I didn't miss them much, but they didn't put anything in to replace them in terms of exp, so you end up on the moon with dudes that are brutally too low level to be useful, so for example wanting to do my palom/porom/ursula/leonora/luca party was a huge pain in the rear end since they werent the proper level from doing the challenge dungeons, so I had to spend like an hour or two just slowly grinding poo poo on the moon and healing at the whale.

I still think the PSP port is the best version of 4 and TAY.

Lookit them non-ugly 2d graphics... I wanna boot it up and play it again but my PSP is in awful, awful shape, and I don't particularly care about upgrading or replacing it. Oh well.

Why not just get a Playstation TV, they are only $50 dollars and this game does work on it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Rirse posted:

Why not just get a Playstation TV, they are only $50 dollars and this game does work on it.

Huh, I didn't even know it was a thing. Thanks for the heads up.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Or emulate it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

gently caress that guy, do it anyway.

yeah but what could i actually add to this

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Sunning posted:

The new Dissidia arcade game allows you to play as Bartz and Squall. You can draw magic for ten minutes like the good old days.

Hopefully it'll get a console port, because who the hell plays fighting games on a handheld, seriously?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Dissidia games are kinda weird though as far as fighting games go because I probably put 100+ hours into the first two combined and never played it with another human being (As opposed to something like Street Fighter 4 where I basically only play it online)

Though I guess maybe that's just down to the PSP not really having any online capabilities unless you want to try messing with that Ad Hoc stuff

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

yeah but what could i actually add to this

Like that's ever stopped an LPer before.

I've been looking at YouTube LPs of Final Fantasies and they're all pretty dire. How would you make a video LP of an RPG good? It's not like a horror game where you can scream a lot or CoD/LoL where you can talk about how great you are.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

To make a good VLP of a JRPG you need to either do a lot od editing like Brainweasels FFXII LP or be really great at commentary .

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Gammatron 64 posted:

Hopefully it'll get a console port, because who the hell plays fighting games on a handheld, seriously?

It's basically already running on a PS4 and they've already ran side by sides of how it looks in arcades compared to PS4. The weird controller you use to play it is just a Dualshock 4 split into two pieces. It's going to get a port.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only LP I ever read was of a super obscure SNES RPG that never got released outside Japan and the dude doing it was translating it on the fly, that was pretty cool. Can't remember what it was called though. It was way before LP's even got their own subforum.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zombie Samurai posted:

Like that's ever stopped an LPer before.

I've been looking at YouTube LPs of Final Fantasies and they're all pretty dire. How would you make a video LP of an RPG good? It's not like a horror game where you can scream a lot or CoD/LoL where you can talk about how great you are.

god, there's no way i would do a vlp of it, who would ever want that

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

god, there's no way i would do a vlp of it, who would ever want that

Oh I didn't mean you specifically, it was meant as a general question. Screenshot LPs are the obvious way to do RPGs, but I'm curious if VLPs of them can even be good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Get everybody in the Final Fantasy megathread to record with you, that..."commentary" alone will make it worth the watch. Hopefully.

EDIT: Alternatively, just constantly and incessantly pick random posts from the thread and read them off.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I did a Chrono Trigger screenshot LP several years ago, and I did video for the bosses, and by the end I regretted it because it's really boring to watch. Yes, Crono used Luminaire for his sixth turn in a row.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Square-Enix released the outline of their results briefing with commentary by the CFO and the CEO: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/ir/library/docs/150512/page01.html

Here is some stuff that stood out in the commentary and slides:

- Good performance all around but mobile games (Record Keeper/DQSL/Schoolgirl Strikers/Million Arthur) were singled out for their contribution to the results
- Consoles are largely doing well in the West but mobile is performing well everywhere
- Interested in VR/AR and have some plans on how to approach the market
- Will grow and reboot existing IP. Plan on having them on both consoles and smart devices
- Will create new IPs for next year in the form of games and publications
- More collaborations with outside developers. It is not limited to Japanese developers (Sounds like what a lot of Western publishers did to grow from 2001-2009)
- Longtail revenue for games on digital services is significantly contributing to sales figures
- Serious about entering emerging geographical markets with the appropriate business model. Mobile for South America and F2P PC for Russia
- Streaming services will be a cornerstone of business in the future
- E3 will feature several announcements of new games
- Star Ocean 5 and Dragon Quest Heroes II are described as reboots/ways of strengthening IPs
- Just Cause 3 and Rise of the Tomb Raider slated for this Holiday
- Rise of the Tomb Raider is no longer listed for the Xbox 360 for this Holiday. Will the 360 version be cancelled or just delayed?
- Looking to approach new arcade games as an esport to generate growth and interest
- Unlike Wada, Matsuda has tempered sales expectations of consoles games due to the depth of competition they will face this year and the next. Repeats that they also face stiff competition in mobile as well

Overall, CEO Matsuda has been very humble about the company's tournabout, transparent about the growing pains of their mobile success, and continues to be conservative about sales forecasts of their console games. Learning from the mistakes of his predecessor?

Sakurazuka posted:

Why throw good money after bad money? Their old guard of Japanese developers have largely failed to make console games that can compete in the current market. They take years to make games that are usually met with lukewarm or negative reception. Most of their attempts at creating ambitious games have largely underwhelmed consumers, been plagued by technical issues, or were stuck in development hell. It's not like they were chasing a dream since Skyrim and Dragon Age Inquisition on last gen hardware prove you can create large scale, well-produced RPGs within a reasonable development cycle.

Many of the faces we see associated with FFXIV:ARR, FFXV, and KH3 are young lions out to prove themselves. If these new teams can't make the economics of big budget JRPGs work in the current market, then the company can always downsize their Japanese development teams and transition staff to mobile. They've already have had former handheld development staff successfully launch Schoolgirl Strikers which is a fact they keep parading in press releases and investor reports. The company still has Eidos to make AAA console games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

quote:

- Will create new IPs for next year in the form of games and publications

Finally, Front Mission 6 is here

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait to see how they're gonna gently caress up the Mana series next.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new one for mobile?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Wasn't SaGa getting some upcoming handheld and/or mobile release?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Sunning posted:

- Will grow and reboot existing IP. Plan on having them on both consoles and smart devices

Looking forward to the reboot of FFI, featuring four bros in leather pants jacking a speedboat and battling elemental dinosaurs. Hell, let's dig deeper and bring back dresspheres to replace the original six classes on the fly.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bloodychill posted:

one of each

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Looking forward to the reboot of FFI, featuring four bros in leather pants jacking a speedboat and battling elemental dinosaurs. Hell, let's dig deeper and bring back dresspheres to replace the original six classes on the fly.

That sounds awesome though

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

bloodychill posted:

SaGa 2015 is a game for Vita. Imperial SaGa is a F2P PC Browser game.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Final Fantasy Mobius could be seen as a reboot of FF1 since it features Garland and Coneria Castle. Coincidentally, it does in fact feature a a protagonist in leather pants who uses a dressphere inspired job system.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

Finally, Front Mission 6 is here

Now I will be able to play Heroic Ronin Musashi

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Sunning posted:

SaGa 2015 is a game for Vita. Imperial SaGa is a F2P PC Browser game.

With the Vita being called a "legacy" console by Sony US, I have to wonder if SE will bother to localize 2015.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

That sounds awesome though

If we're being completely honest here, I would kill to see full modern remix/reboots of the oldest games. FFI in the style of XV, FFII with a Sphere Grid and Shinra-style antagonists, FFIII with Paradigms... the possibilities are endless.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I can't wait to see how they're gonna gently caress up the Mana series next.

Wasn't there supposed to be a new one for mobile?

There's Rise of Mana which has been out for a while and seems like it would be good without the F2P stuff, it came out on Vita earlier this month in Japan. There's also that Secret of Mana iOS port that came out on Android earlier this year that would actually be better than the original if it wasn't at 30fps.

There's been some vague mentions of that game's producer wanting to do something for the series' anniversary, kind of like the rumblings about a new SaGa game that were around shortly before the Vita SaGa game was announced.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/17/new-mana-game-may-works-series-25th-anniversary-next-year/

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Zombie Samurai posted:

If we're being completely honest here, I would kill to see full modern remix/reboots of the oldest games. FFI in the style of XV, FFII with a Sphere Grid and Shinra-style antagonists, FFIII with Paradigms... the possibilities are endless.

There are a lot of possibilities

Lightning as a member of Avalanche
Lightning as a SeeD
Lightning as a summoner's guardian
Lightning as a Gullwing
Lightning as a sky pirate

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

bloodychill posted:

With the Vita being called a "legacy" console by Sony US, I have to wonder if SE will bother to localize 2015.

It's fairly easy to get a japanese account, although extremely annoying due to needing two memory sticks.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Help Im Alive posted:

There are a lot of possibilities

Lightning as a member of Avalanche
Lightning as a SeeD
Lightning as a summoner's guardian
Lightning as a Gullwing
Lightning as a sky pirate

Hell yeah

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's fairly easy to get a japanese account, although extremely annoying due to needing two memory sticks.

Yeah, the resetting and all that makes it too much of a pain. If it gets an Asia release with english like some other games have, I'd gladly import it however.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

I don't know Japanese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Zombie Samurai posted:

FFVII has a huge variety of weapons and fighting styles for its characters, but with the ATB system the only difference is the animation that's played when you tell them to attack.

In my dreams there's a remake where Cloud, Tifa, and Barrett control like Devil May Cry, God Hand, and Vanquish.