Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CVagts posted:

Does anyone have a map to show where the Novigrad slums are (where you can buy the +100 saddlebags)? I can't remember where they are. :(

This should be the guy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Shameless plug detected:

This is some of the worst poo poo Ive ever read.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just installed patch 1.04. It more than tripled my loading times :wtc:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

10 Beers posted:

My favorite moment so far: I'm riding around Velen, and come to a bridge, when 2 bandits stop me and try to force a toll. Normally, I'd simply kill them, but this time, I felt generous so I chose the other option. Geralt says "See this medallion? Recognize the guild?" The bandits poo poo their pants and apologize, then Geralt says "Might travel this way again, better not see you here, understand?" The bandits are backing away and apologizing, and in the background I see 4 drowners jump on the bridge, and come towards us, behind the bandits. Lead bandit says, "Sorry, Sir Witcher, we'll be leavin." And the cutscenes ends. Just in time for one of the drowners to kill the lead bandit, yell at the other one, then run off before I could do anything. :allears:

This happened to me but like...in reverse (20:43 if it doesn't link right). :ghost:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I love that Dandelion's voice is just some regular dude's voice and not fantasy batman or an accent. Also his outfit is so colorful!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

nessin posted:

I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

I don't really bother with stuff like oils because it's basically a mouseclick tax - the fight gets easier if you click more in menus. I just cast another igni/swing my sword more instead. Oils should really just be a passive boost - you use the appropriate oil automatically if you have it. Then the oil recipes would be like, mini-quests to improve your damage against certain monster types, much the way filling in your bestiary was in the old game.

I'm on the second-hardest difficulty and the game feels like it's gotten easy - it was toughest early on but igni is really broken. I kinda want to try other signs just to see how they play - I feel pretty confident in killing anything that is igni-vulnerable no matter how level it is and I'm only level 21.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Aurain posted:

I have a druid trying to offer me a yellow ! quest near Gedyleith, but when I speak to him, nothing happens. Any one have a clue or is it just some weird bug?

I got this same thing - my map will forever have a ! from the indecisive druid.

Also it's real weird that that place has two signposts with the same name that you can't warp between - I don't get the point, they're super-close to each other.

e: sorry for double-post

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't really bother with stuff like oils because it's basically a mouseclick tax - the fight gets easier if you click more in menus. I just cast another igni/swing my sword more instead. Oils should really just be a passive boost - you use the appropriate oil automatically if you have it. Then the oil recipes would be like, mini-quests to improve your damage against certain monster types, much the way filling in your bestiary was in the old game.

I'm on the second-hardest difficulty and the game feels like it's gotten easy - it was toughest early on but igni is really broken. I kinda want to try other signs just to see how they play - I feel pretty confident in killing anything that is igni-vulnerable no matter how level it is and I'm only level 21.

Lore-wise it's part of the drawn-out prep before going after a contract kill. Gameplay-wise... yeah, kinda sucks. I'd rather move in the other direction and gamify it as an active thing, but not one that goes to a menu. Long in-game animation to oil up, sort of thing you can dodge behind a rock and pull off mid-combat.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nessin posted:

I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of repetitive difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

I don't prepare at all for fights, sidestepping is usually enough to win anything. And the more you level up, the more OP Geralt gets, no matter what build you have. I couldn't imagine anything but DM once you reach the last tier of whatever ability tree you focus on.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Cephalocidal posted:

Lore-wise it's part of the drawn-out prep before going after a contract kill. Gameplay-wise... yeah, kinda sucks. I'd rather move in the other direction and gamify it as an active thing, but not one that goes to a menu. Long in-game animation to oil up, sort of thing you can dodge behind a rock and pull off mid-combat.

Something like this would be fine, but I'd rather they get a better potion system(ie more than 2 slots, potion tab in inventory, etc) going first before they do it. Potion effects are almost universally more interesting than a percentage bonus to damage.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I don't mind the menu-ing, even with the super slow menus on PS4. Having mutagens and bombs refill easily is already such a convenience in my mind that I don't mind it, heck I barely even mind scrolling through my boatload of contracts and books to get down to my potions in the useable items menu. I don't go crazy with the oils, but if I know I'll be fighting a monster type on a contract or quest I'll throw it on, and I slap Hanged Man Venom on when I remember to, which is rarely. I do agree about the game getting easier, but I feel like that's still mostly due to how good I've become at the game. Every time I think about raising it (I'm on the third highest setting) I take 3-5 hits in a row and nearly die, so while I'm chopping stuff down fairly quickly they also take me out quickly, so it seems like a good balance. I'll certainly be playing max difficulty on my second playthrough though. Axii is my go-to sign to make a fight easy, though I generally just keep dodging around and refreshing my Quen shield.

Since I'm doing basically everything you can I've only just now finished up the (presumably) first batch of story quests at Skellige, and my feeling so far is that Geralt is just an incredible badass. I kind of got that sense in previous Witcher games, but this time around the story, voice acting, graphics, combat, it all adds up to making me feel like medieval Batman in the best way.

Edit: I'm also spreading out my abilities across all three trees (though I'll do a respect eventually to really nail down a build), so I'm sure that's contributing to a more balanced fight experience. If I had all my points in just physical combat or signs I'm sure I'd be having an easier time of it.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 28, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there a way to turn off the effect that makes it look like water and spots is on the camera lens during rain or snow? Also dang Skelliga is so pretty! :swoon:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Might have been posted a couple pages ago but patch 1.04 disable secondary quest exp reward.
Fix on the way.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...l=1#post1709208

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't prepare at all for fights, sidestepping is usually enough to win anything. And the more you level up, the more OP Geralt gets, no matter what build you have. I couldn't imagine anything but DM once you reach the last tier of whatever ability tree you focus on.

I stopped right about the time I had enough skill points and slots to start combos for stun locks or health regen and I saw the writing on the wall. I guess my point is why bother with keeping the difficulty up once you reach that point? I easily saved myself at least 10 hours, and based on other accounts maybe even 20-30 hours, over the course of the game by dropping the difficulty when I wasn't getting anything out of keeping it up. Even if I did step back on the preparation by the time I was wearing a full set of superior gear with skills to buff regular attacks (on the lower difficulties) I was one shotting enemies rather than spending 60+ seconds dancing around them and chipping away at health without feeling at risk. That is really what confuses me, the idea that the game is "easy" at Death March so you're keeping it that way? Either force yourself to make it challenging or just drop the difficult to you cruise through the easy combat at an even faster pace.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
WTF is that white arrow icon next to the health bar?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

What is it with the decoy card sometimes not letting me move left and right in a row to select the card I want?

Yeah that's a motherfucker, it's gotta be an input bug. Use a mouse.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I like the combat in this game. I think the people who are having trouble are not using dodge properly, not paying enough attention to positioning and aren't using signs. That said, there are some things that really annoy me. Hit boxes are really, really unforgiving on some of the larger enemies, so the right strategy is to cast quen, roll in, hit once or twice, then roll out and repeat until the enemy is dead. Big bruiser type enemies don't have a large variety of attacks that can be dodged in various ways, rather almost all of their attacks are "gently caress you, I hit if you're near me at all". This means unless you have a sign build that can light them on fire with igni reliably, some big heavy enemies are incredibly tedious to fight and if you do have enough sign intensity to light them up, they're incredibly easy.

It's terribly unfair to compare this game to Souls games. I haven't played Bloodbourne, and, alas, probably never will since I'm not about to buy a PS4 for one game, but Dark Souls a game about methodical and technical combat in beautifully designed environments with meticulous attention to detail. In terms of scope, it's a far less ambitious game than Witcher 3, but it suffers no comparison in respect to what is sets out to do. Witcher 3 does a lot of things that Dark Souls just doesn't do and as a consequence its combat system is a lot messier and uglier. I will say, at least, that the short dodge is implemented beautifully in this game and that signs are far, far better designed than spell casting is in any Souls game.

Krogort posted:

Might have been posted a couple pages ago but patch 1.04 disable secondary quest exp reward.
Fix on the way.

And I was wondering why I wasn't getting any experience for any goddamn quests at all!

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 28, 2015

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

WastedJoker posted:

WTF is that white arrow icon next to the health bar?

Means you have free skill points to assign.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is the best RPG ive played in like a decade and is in an undetermined spot in my top 3

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

nessin posted:

I stopped right about the time I had enough skill points and slots to start combos for stun locks or health regen and I saw the writing on the wall. I guess my point is why bother with keeping the difficulty up once you reach that point? I easily saved myself at least 10 hours, and based on other accounts maybe even 20-30 hours, over the course of the game by dropping the difficulty when I wasn't getting anything out of keeping it up. Even if I did step back on the preparation by the time I was wearing a full set of superior gear with skills to buff regular attacks (on the lower difficulties) I was one shotting enemies rather than spending 60+ seconds dancing around them and chipping away at health without feeling at risk. That is really what confuses me, the idea that the game is "easy" at Death March so you're keeping it that way? Either force yourself to make it challenging or just drop the difficult to you cruise through the easy combat at an even faster pace.

There is still a difference between pretty easy and absolute cakewalk.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Why the gently caress do u always load before a long rear end loving cutscene

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I really only oil when i'm about to fight a boss. And even then really only against boss monsters that have killed me. That said, the alchemy tech that gives you poison chance with your oil is pretty awesome. I think giving oils a multi use though would be the best way to go. Can use it on your blade, or throw it like an acid flask.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I started to think that after fighting three Wyverns at +7 level by using Quen and staying behind them (like fighting a bear). Then I fought a Forktail at +6 level and got a really nasty surprise when it did its tail attack.

I am curious about all the "damage sponge" enemies people are running into; is my definition of damage sponge different than yours or am I just using better gear and more red skills than other players?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Something like this would be fine, but I'd rather they get a better potion system(ie more than 2 slots, potion tab in inventory, etc) going first before they do it. Potion effects are almost universally more interesting than a percentage bonus to damage.

If you go down the oil branch you also get +%chance to poison (awesome), +%damage reduction against monster type for applied oil (awesome), +more charges (worthless imo, I skipped this one), +%critical damage bonus against monster type for applied oil when adrenaline is at max (jury still out for me, I JUST got it and I'm finding so far that this sucks unless fights last a long time).

If you're not going down the tree, then yeah, I could see skipping oils especially for the normal and enhanced recipies when the damage bonus is fairly trivial. I mean, all that clicking and menu searching for a 10% damage bonus is pretty dumb.

Even though I like using oils, I do not appreciate that the interface for using them is so irritating. Enter inventory, search for oil, hit X is a crappy experience no matter how you slice it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

And I was wondering why I wasn't getting any experience for any goddamn quests at all!

gently caress. No wonder I was having such success in my do-all-the-quests-before-you-totally-outlevel-them binge.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nessin posted:

It's hilarious to stunlock enemies with your flamethrower who could kill you in two hits. Or having Quen active which absorbs more than 100% of your HP.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ending (Ciri) related question, feel free to spoil me: From a few pages back, but if I got this right if want to get the good ending/Ciri becoming empress, I have to 1/ have a snowball fight with her, 2/ let her wreck some elf's lab and 3/ present her to the emperor? I assume those 3 choices are going to be obvious (have snowball fight / don't have snowball fight) when I get to them? I've read in a bad ending she and Geralt can both die, want to avoid screwing that up.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Like holy gently caress this game is annoying everything is an hp sponge unless u go through the terrible loving menus to use some lovely oil buried under 400 pages of goddamn books and notes.

Like the amount of bullshit i have to go through just to have an enjoyable fight is staggering

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Krogort posted:

Fix on the way.

This should be an actual option IMO.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

shrike82 posted:

What kind of marriage are you in?

None right now but I've seen them, warts and all. Cases like the baron's are never as clear cut as feminists would have you believe.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

roymorrison posted:

Like holy gently caress this game is annoying everything is an hp sponge unless u go through the terrible loving menus to use some lovely oil buried under 400 pages of goddamn books and notes.

Like the amount of bullshit i have to go through just to have an enjoyable fight is staggering

Jokes on you, oils are at the top of the useable items tab. It's potions that come in under books and notes :negative:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Why are yall keeping books and notes tho

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

I don't, I just know from experience.

Edit: Believe me, when you go down the green tree and your whole build revolves around using potions, oils and bombs you clean out your usable items tab at like every loving merchant: "JESUS JUST TAKE THIS STUFF FOR FREE, Yes, that love letter from my GF too."

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Is the Maid Bilberry guy supposed to die the third time you fight him?

I may have accidentally cut him in half longways with a heavy crit and I'm wondering if otherwise he might have conceded again.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I may have accidentally cut him in half longways with a heavy crit and I'm wondering if otherwise he might have conceded again.

I Axii'd him away and never ran into him again.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Does anyone know if the Feline Enhanced and whatnot gear improves much on the base set? (other than raw numbers, of course). The +10% resistance to elemental damage is super lovely compared to the "Assassin" gear I found/crafted.

Regarding Hattori: I did his quest at level 13 and ran a train on the half dozen level 24 bandits that you have to fight. I dont know if it is because my skills and equipment are optimized (Light Attack spec (1st and second skill maxed), am wearing all light armor (including two "assassin" gear items that add additional crit chance and crit damage), and have a steel sword that increases crit chance and crit damage) or what.

This is amazing.

edit:

Ice Fist posted:

If you go down the oil branch you also get +%chance to poison (awesome), +%damage reduction against monster type for applied oil (awesome), +more charges (worthless imo, I skipped this one), +%critical damage bonus against monster type for applied oil when adrenaline is at max (jury still out for me, I JUST got it and I'm finding so far that this sucks unless fights last a long time).

If you're not going down the tree, then yeah, I could see skipping oils especially for the normal and enhanced recipies when the damage bonus is fairly trivial. I mean, all that clicking and menu searching for a 10% damage bonus is pretty dumb.

Even though I like using oils, I do not appreciate that the interface for using them is so irritating. Enter inventory, search for oil, hit X is a crappy experience no matter how you slice it.
I am going Oils as well. The enhanced oils are a +25% bonus to damage (I only have 3 enhanced but ho-boy can you tell the difference!). I have never noticed that I have poisoned anything by using an oil on them even though I have the skill that grants that ability at 5. Is there an obvious way to tell that someone you hit with an anti-them oil is poisoned?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 28, 2015

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Krogort posted:

Fix on the way.

Is this PS4 only or PC as well? gently caress if I have to restart because of this...

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Darth Windu posted:

I dunno, I just figured that the contract notes are needed (still haven't done tons of witcher contracts) and the rest of it just kinda keeps piling up even though I trim it a bit. I'll need to do some mass liquidation soon (dropping it all somewhere at a minimum).

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Yeah, definitely cleaved him up as well. If he didn't get the hint after two attempts and tried to bring extra guys to beat me he deserved to die. I've actually killed a LOT of people whose only crimes were insulting me or my friends.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I'm pretty sure he's supposed to die on the third fight. I felt bad because it felt like I killed Don Quixote.

Darth Windu posted:

None right now but I've seen them, warts and all. Cases like the baron's are never as clear cut as feminists would have you believe.

Oh no! Not the feminists! You might have a point here, but feminism is a very wide spectrum of beliefs and categorically insulting all people who subscribe to it doesn't do your argument any justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Avalerion posted:

Ending (Ciri) related question, feel free to spoil me: From a few pages back, but if I got this right if want to get the good ending/Ciri becoming empress, I have to 1/ have a snowball fight with her, 2/ let her wreck some elf's lab and 3/ present her to the emperor? I assume those 3 choices are going to be obvious (have snowball fight / don't have snowball fight) when I get to them? I've read in a bad ending she and Geralt can both die, want to avoid screwing that up.

Ending stuff:

There are 3 endings that are based on 5 decision points.

1. Drinking vs snowball fight at Kaer Morhen - snowball fight is the right choice. It's not obvious that this will happen based on the dialog choices you get. Basically a major character dies in the story, Ciri mopes, and you talk to her. You have two dialogue choices: 1) "Relax, you don't have to be good at everything" and 2) "Think I know what might lift your spirits." #2 is the correct choice.
2. Shortly after this you have a decision where you must visit the emperor vs killing a Wild Hunt Commander - goto Vizima to see the emperor and refuse his coin first.
3. Ciri meets with the sorceresses of the Lodge - let her go in alone.
4. Elf Lab - let her gently caress up the lab.
5. Skjall Burial - go with her.

You'll get a "good ending" from doing these (I think at least 3/5). What ensures that you get the Empress ending vs Ciri becoming a witcher is doing a few political subquests (Eye for an Eye, Deadly Plot, and Redania's Most Wanted) in Novigrad. Visit Emhyr when prompted and during Reason of State, you MUST side with Roche.