Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
An idea that I think would be good and add a lot of replayability to maps would be randomly generated objectives that either give bonuses for completing them, penalties for not completing them, or both. The idea came up because I just had a game with an AFK that I called out as MISTER PRESIDENT! over chat and rallied the other five people of the team into defending. We actually kept him alive really well, too, until Hans aggroed to him (:rip: mr president) and had an absolute ton of fun trying to defend an awkward area and a vulnerable "NPC."

Biggest one is just Defend The Point, which is what Defend The President basically was, to make you fight from interesting new areas, another one I think would be really fun would be Race! where you have to move from point to point in fairly quick succession or you start losing HP. I'm trying to think of some way to do a really offensive, swimming upstream kind of fight but drawing a blank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Magres posted:

Holy poo poo that is magic.

Yeah I've been using Nvidia Shadowplay. When I hit F11 it dumps the last 60 seconds into a video file. Later I use a free video editor called Shortcut to clip out the bit I want and export that to an mp4, which I then drag over to gyfcat. I also have no idea how it keeps a running stream of the last x seconds to pull from with no noticeable performance hit but there you go.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
New map has a great camping spot out on a balcony. From the starting zone you can run through the garden to get there. The zeds only approach from two directions, although there is a vent overhead that some small stuff can drop out of from time to time.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I've been using Nvidia Shadowplay. When I hit F11 it dumps the last 60 seconds into a video file. Later I use a free video editor called Shortcut to clip out the bit I want and export that to an mp4, which I then drag over to gyfcat. I also have no idea how it keeps a running stream of the last x seconds to pull from with no noticeable performance hit but there you go.

Do you mean Shotcut?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yes I do, Shotcut, autocorrect, 4am, etc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ruggington posted:

I think they actually fixed Back-up

Trash skulls pop in one 9mm bullet with it on now on Hard, so something is going right :neckbeard: Knocking the head off a cyst with a single M1 knife slash is also pretty funny, even if I can't imagine doing it too much on purpose past normal for fun.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Magres posted:

An idea that I think would be good and add a lot of replayability to maps would be randomly generated objectives that either give bonuses for completing them, penalties for not completing them, or both. The idea came up because I just had a game with an AFK that I called out as MISTER PRESIDENT! over chat and rallied the other five people of the team into defending. We actually kept him alive really well, too, until Hans aggroed to him (:rip: mr president) and had an absolute ton of fun trying to defend an awkward area and a vulnerable "NPC."

Biggest one is just Defend The Point, which is what Defend The President basically was, to make you fight from interesting new areas, another one I think would be really fun would be Race! where you have to move from point to point in fairly quick succession or you start losing HP. I'm trying to think of some way to do a really offensive, swimming upstream kind of fight but drawing a blank.

Defend the Point could center around the Trader asking for something to be recovered, with bonus dosh as a reward. As for the "Race" idea, why not have a bio attack and that with the help of the trader, you race to from point to point to get antidote doses until the attack abates (round ends), maybe use the trader pods? Or have NPC civilians spawn across the map and have the players have to rescue them?

For your hard push/breakthrough gamemode, maybe something like a spawner for the ZEDs is generated as far away from the current trader location as possible and until it is knocked out Zeds will not stop spawning, the wave simply won't end. Have the Zeds spawn in higher numbers and larger groups as well.

I'd also like the idea of PvP between Zed players and Survivor players competing on max wave reached.

Takes No Damage posted:

HD 7000 or greater cards and 600 series or latter cards essentially have a video encoder sitting idle while you play games. Shadowplay, Raptr, etal basically utilize this hardware when the feature is enabled to store everything that's been displayed onscreen for up to 20 minutes, being the limitation on the hardware not the software. It has near zero performance impact because it doesn't actually do anything but capture and store data that's already been processed. You can even use such software to record your desktop or things like movies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjI7s2uQquo, first minute when he refers to something as the "gun that won the West". He also says something about a .50 cal; I wonder if that means we're getting a Barrett rifle or good ol' Ma Deuce.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Isn't the Winchester Rifle the Gun That Won The West?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Azran posted:

Isn't the Winchester Rifle the Gun That Won The West?

"the gun that won the west" is a stupid title that people use for both the winchester and the peacemaker, but I think in this context it's safe to say it's probably referring to the winchester.

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 28, 2015

Mexicat
Feb 1, 2013
Near the end of its life, killing floor 1 had the objective maps with things you had to do while surviving (obviously being tested as a concept for kf2). Things like take this nitrogen canister to this machine, by the way it makes you slow to a crawl so your teammates have to defend you, or play the slots (throw money into the machine) until you get the gasoline you need to continue.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
What's with the Dosh medallions on Manor? What happens when you find them all?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

The Missing Link posted:

Cheevo

:toot:

Unclean009
Mar 27, 2010

The Missing Link posted:

They're on every single official map. Achievement for getting them all in one game on each map.

In my opinion it's a perfect example of what's wrong with achievements in games these days.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Is the achievement team-based, like, if you pick up half and a teammate picks up half, do you both get the achievement? Or is it every individual player must pick up every single one.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Is the achievement team-based, like, if you pick up half and a teammate picks up half, do you both get the achievement? Or is it every individual player must pick up every single one.

Team based. You can even get it while spectating I think.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Seems like an easy enough thing to grab while you roam around the map anyway, since you already have the dynamic trader locations to entice teams to move around a bit.

As long as it doesn't ruin rounds by having OCD clowns get themselves murdered by having to grab them all singlehandedly in one wave or something.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 28, 2015

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Sounds like I should explore more while playing.

Oh, wait, that will get me separated from the others so I get swarmed and die.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Seems like an easy enough thing to grab while you roam around the map anyway, since you already have the dynamic trader locations to entice teams to move around a bit.

As long as it doesn't ruin rounds by having OCD clowns get themselves murdered by having to grab them all singlehandedly in one wave or something.

That's what you do. Get the mobs down to the last one, ideally a bloat, and just have someone baby sit it while everyone else hunts down the medallions. Worked in KF1, and it works here too.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Skoll posted:

Team based. You can even get it while spectating I think.

I can confirm that this is true. Joined a server last night where I spent fifteen minutes spectating wave 2 while three guys ran around manor trying to find the dosh. The left a bloat and a clot alive to wander around. They finally found it and I got an acheevo for it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

FaustianQ posted:

Defend the Point could center around the Trader asking for something to be recovered, with bonus dosh as a reward. As for the "Race" idea, why not have a bio attack and that with the help of the trader, you race to from point to point to get antidote doses until the attack abates (round ends), maybe use the trader pods? Or have NPC civilians spawn across the map and have the players have to rescue them?

For your hard push/breakthrough gamemode, maybe something like a spawner for the ZEDs is generated as far away from the current trader location as possible and until it is knocked out Zeds will not stop spawning, the wave simply won't end. Have the Zeds spawn in higher numbers and larger groups as well.

I'd also like the idea of PvP between Zed players and Survivor players competing on max wave reached.

HD 7000 or greater cards and 600 series or latter cards essentially have a video encoder sitting idle while you play games. Shadowplay, Raptr, etal basically utilize this hardware when the feature is enabled to store everything that's been displayed onscreen for up to 20 minutes, being the limitation on the hardware not the software. It has near zero performance impact because it doesn't actually do anything but capture and store data that's already been processed. You can even use such software to record your desktop or things like movies.

I really like the infinity spawner idea for push/breakthrough! I don't think cash rewards would work super well, unless cash drops were rebalanced - as the game stands right now, on a 7 wave game I'm usually fully kitted by wave 3. Though part of that is definitely that I'm a money-grubbing bastard and always scavenging for $100 weapons to pawn off to the trader.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

If you drop a weapon you found on the ground and pick it back up, it sells for £150 :ssh:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Missing Link posted:

Sounds like I should explore more while playing.

Oh, wait, that will get me separated from the others so I get swarmed and die.

GIT GUD or do those kind of achievements on Normal like a scrub (me) . I actually use stuff like that to run around and familiarize myself with new maps, so by the time I'm up to Sui/HoE I know where the good camp/fallback/escape places are.

At first I thought the infinite spawner sounded too easy to exploit, you know some spergs would just stand there and mass kill zeds rather than try to complete the objective, but as long as there are no ammo drops anywhere that would put the pressure to get to Point B before everyone runs out of gunfood. Plus weren't a lot of the objectives from KF1 like that anyway, zeds keep spawning until whatever objective is complete?

glomkettle posted:

If you drop a weapon you found on the ground and pick it back up, it sells for £150 :ssh:

Unless you keep throwing them down just as another player is running in front of you so they catch it, then you get 0 dosh :(

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For the infinite spawner objective you could even make the zeds it spawns not be worth cash or XP, and your reward is tied to how quickly you can beat your way in and kill the thing.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
A survivor rescue type mission would be fun. You have to search the map each wave for randomly spawned survivors and get them back to the teams spawn point for the extraction vehicle. All the while zeds are coming in the map both for you and the lingering npcs (NPC would only have a max of 50hp). Each rescued survivor gives each player a free ammo box resupply and some dosh. Acheevo for rescuing all survivors without any of them dying to zeds. This would endorse exploring the whole map and staying mobile since you have to find the survivors before the zeds do and then have them follow you back. Boss fight can be him trying to take out the extraction vehicle and your team has to take him down before he does too much damage to it.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Oooooh you could have the vehicle be weldable and finally give an actual purpose (other than trolling pubs) to Support's welding bonuses.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Whenever the stat wipe happens I'll be fine if it accompanies the release of a new class. 99% of players will play that new class and it will be hilarious watching teams of Firebugs die to Fleshpounds on Normal.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Takes No Damage posted:

At first I thought the infinite spawner sounded too easy to exploit, you know some spergs would just stand there and mass kill zeds rather than try to complete the objective, but as long as there are no ammo drops anywhere that would put the pressure to get to Point B before everyone runs out of gunfood. Plus weren't a lot of the objectives from KF1 like that anyway, zeds keep spawning until whatever objective is complete?

Magres posted:

For the infinite spawner objective you could even make the zeds it spawns not be worth cash or XP, and your reward is tied to how quickly you can beat your way in and kill the thing.

It'd also help if the mode just dropped randomly so you can't exploit it by having one guy already at the spawner, along with zero ammo or weapon drops.

The spawner could also be a dick and just ramp up to spawning Scrakes and FPs in large groups if you spend too much time too far away.

Also also, someone typed out Scrakepound upthread. Make this a thing TWI, a Fleshpound with chainsaw arms, the running speed of a Scrake and both Scrake and FP movesets.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Scrakepound was me. What have I done :gonk:

I just wanted a quick term to refer to both scrakes and fleshpounds, and now we're all doomed

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shumagorath posted:

Whenever the stat wipe happens I'll be fine if it accompanies the release of a new class. 99% of players will play that new class and it will be hilarious watching teams of Firebugs die to Fleshpounds on Normal.

Better than all the horrible medics running rampant right now, its honestly making the game unplayable, wouldn't care if it was on normal or hard but I constantly bump into these people on suicidal or hell on earth and they always cost us the game.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Better than all the horrible medics running rampant right now, its honestly making the game unplayable, wouldn't care if it was on normal or hard but I constantly bump into these people on suicidal or hell on earth and they always cost us the game.

What makes a horrible medic in your opinion? I main medic and did in KF1 so if I'm doing something boneheaded it's high time I knocked that off.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Chard posted:

What makes a horrible medic in your opinion? I main medic and did in KF1 so if I'm doing something boneheaded it's high time I knocked that off.

You are likely just fine. He probably means the kind who can't be bothered to push middle mouse and the only place they ever throw medic grenades is at their own feet. "Don't worry, I'll let hans grab ME because I have way more max health!... uuh... could I have some heals here? Oh I see you are off to the side standing in a combination gas/medic cloud."

Of course, even if they do heal and have twice the killcount of the second highest guy (Look man, I can't fire a mile down the road past the car barriers with a shotgun as well), it's a complete bitch if they constantly stand directly behind you when you are trying to backpedal away from a scrake or fleshpound and respond "You'll be fine". I wouldn't have needed those heals in the first place if you didn't keep body blocking me so I eat a chainsaw :argh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Wait there are people that do that? What the heck! Medic is super easy, I'm pretty sure I could compress being a solid medic into like five bullet points. Part of the reason I like to play medic in pubs is that it's super easy to carry with medic and help your team have fun at the same time.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 28, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magres posted:

Wait there are people that do that? What the heck! Medic is super easy, I'm pretty sure I could compress being a solid medic into like five bullet points. Part of the reason I like to play medic in pubs is that it's super easy to carry with medic and help your team have fun at the same time.

It video games. Alongside the people who apparently just don't know better to smash their hand on the mousewheel occasionally (somehow), are the people who only see Medic as "Steam forums says you can solo HoE easiest with this, that is what I want to do even though I'm on a team HOLY loving poo poo THAT SUPPORT TURNED OFF SUPPLIER LAST ROUND THAT MONSTER I need more grenades for myself that's why I run over every ammo box he sees"

Somehow I'm a level 7 medic when did this happen. I've only played the class a few times. I just really prefer the guns of the other classes, otherwise I'd probably play the actual medic class myself because I'm always jabbing people in the face with my syringe or bringing whatever medic gun I can fit in later waves.

EDIT: vvv This is a reasonable frustration.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 28, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Well if it's just obvious stuff like that then yeah I agree, if someone can't freaking use their class abilities then that's aggravating. I guess I sometimes get frustrated because people wade head-first into meatgrinders and four darts plus a nade isn't going to let buddy pubby facetank a fleshpound but he still gets mad at me for 'failing him'.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Magres posted:

You'd be surprised how many people play medic thinking its just a tanky commando that can heal with grenades. I've been in plenty games where medics both high and lower level then me would go the whole game without healing anyone. Which is fine by me since it means more medic xp for me to get.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
This game would be way more fun if the four characters either had more than three lines each or stopped talking for more than half a second.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Revolver Bunker posted:

You'd be surprised how many people play medic thinking its just a tanky commando that can heal with grenades.

The fools don't realise medic is actually a tanky berserker that can heal with grenades

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

suuma posted:

This game would be way more fun if the four characters either had more than three lines each or stopped talking for more than half a second.

There's an option in the settings to reduce battle chatter. I haven't got to try the new 'classic' characters yet but without that so-bad-it's-good b-movie thing the first game's VAs had yeah these new guys get boring to listen to quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I still find everything the Japanese guy says to be funny because I am a child who has watched too much anime