Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PT6A posted:

I'm not in Calgary right now, I'm in Madrid. The mountains are perhaps not quite so high or so close, but they're still a good hike and you can go skiing if you're into that.

The climate is way better, unless of course you mind it being 33 degrees outside like it was today.

Does Spain still have 50% unemployment for people under 25? Pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Toronto needs a midtown to differentiate between the East End and the Lower East Side otherwise it is all the same and my condo is technically in the poors area

To be fair to Vancouver, at least it doesn't have that desperate-to-be-NYC thing that Toronto has going on.

Vancouver already thinks it's way better than NYC :laugh:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

To be fair to Vancouver, at least it doesn't have that desperate-to-be-NYC thing that Toronto has going on.

Vancouver already thinks it's way better than NYC :laugh:

I've been telling my friends for literally the last 10 years, Vancouver is LA without the money.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Cultural Imperial posted:

I've been telling my friends for literally the last 10 years, Vancouver is LA without the money.

Having lived in both LA and Vancouver you have never been more wrong.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Butcher posted:

I think it's just that in a place like van you need to make your own fun more than waiting for it to find you, if that makes sense.

It makes sense, but it's just a semantic niggle. Fun doesn't just magically come to you anywhere really. Like I said, it's hard to describe.

Gorau posted:

I think the word you're looking for is soulless. Great parks, beautiful views, but a lot of Vancouver has this sort of "sameness" to it that's hard to describe. I usually spend at least a couple months a year in Vancouver for the last few years, and it always strikes me that despite the wonderful offerings surrounding the city, the city itself feels like one giant suburb. This is especially true of Yaletown.

I think that sameness applies to the people in BC as well. My GF and I are both from NL and one thing that bothers us both is how many people here seemingly have their identity and personality defined by the same 2-3 boring-rear end things. Yeah, hiking and yoga are neat but they don't make for much of a personality and it gets really tiresome to hear about after a while. I really don't want to hear about your goddamn hike or slacklining sesh anymore good god.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Lexicon posted:

Must we do this?

edit: it seems straight out of the same playbook as calling Yaletown a 'borough' or some place called Toronto having a 'midtown'.
What? Commercial has been widely known as "The Drive" since forever.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I am beginning to think you guys don't have fun in Vancouver because you're all humorless cranks who bitch and moan constantly, jfc

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

the talent deficit posted:

Having lived in both LA and Vancouver you have never been more wrong.

I'm sure LA is 100x better.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Vancouver is probably the least friendly city I've ever visited or lived in but if you can make a few friends it's just as fun as anywhere else.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ccs posted:

Vancouver has done a good job marketing itself though. I've never been there, yet when I hear about it I imagine a nice climate, trees, a bit of misty rain, and shiny condos, despite reading pages and pages of this thread saying it's terrible.

So... nice job, whichever nanobot or marketing campaign implanted this image of Vancouver into my head over the years.

It really is physically gorgeous when it isn't raining. But it rains a lot, and there isn't much else going on. That said, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Reverse Centaur posted:

It really is physically gorgeous when it isn't raining. But it rains a lot, and there isn't much else going on. That said, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in Canada.

There are many beautiful places in Canada that were absolutely worth living in. Were; because the housing bubble, death of the economy, and continued decline of essential services means they're only habitable by the wealthy or retirees now.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

So apparently that 1.2 trillion dollar CMHC liability is only something like 50% of the mortgage market.

quote:

Canada’s national housing agency says it’s now insuring a record low 50 per cent of new residential mortgages, and it doesn’t intend to let it drop any further...“We’re very comfortable with our market share around 50 per cent,” [CEO Evan] Siddall said at Bloomberg’s Toronto office May 22.
CMHC doesn’t expect Canada’s hot housing market to suffer a sharp correction, Siddall said.

That means that half the liabilities out there are privately held, so the taxpayer will only be bailing out half of homeowners! Or....something.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Vancouver is boring and dull in a very intangible and indescribable way. It's like, the opposite of a place like Montreal or St. John's.

Still think my plan is best, push Vancover into the ocean, move Montreal over to replace the empty spot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

I am beginning to think you guys don't have fun in Vancouver because you're all humorless cranks who bitch and moan constantly, jfc
:agreed:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
edit: double post gently caress you forums software you hosed up this wasn't my fault :colbert:

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

The summers are phenomenal. Seriously Vancouver has the nicest summers of any place I've ever lived.

Also everyone in our building is getting booted out of their apartment so the owners can slap on a coat of paint and double the rent carry out critical structural renovations so gently caress this city anyway

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Clipperton posted:

The summers are phenomenal. Seriously Vancouver has the nicest summers of any place I've ever lived.

Also everyone in our building is getting booted out of their apartment so the owners can slap on a coat of paint and double the rent carry out critical structural renovations so gently caress this city anyway

What's the legality of this?

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

That has always been my feel on Vancouver. It has the bullshit attitudes of LA without having the excuse of being LA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

the talent deficit posted:

Does Spain still have 50% unemployment for people under 25? Pretty great.

I don't think it's quite that bad at this point, but yes, the country is still fairly well hosed. This doesn't necessarily apply to Madrid, any more than the Maritime's economic woes apply to Toronto. However, if you're just a rich guy with no particular need to work (as I assume anyone that can afford property in Vancouver is) why should that matter to you in the slightest?

The Butcher posted:

Agree that Madrid & Sevilla are both very cool cities, what a completely different culture from ours. Too drat hot for me though. And Spanish speaking. I'm poo poo with languages and wouldn't ever want to live anywhere long term if I wasn't totally fluent in whatever they speak. You miss out on so much.

I'll take "too drat hot" over "too drat rainy." I don't think anywhere has a perfect climate for me, so I'll take what I can get. My Spanish is still fairly poo poo, but it is improving.

HookShot posted:

You literally cannot compare skiing in the Pyrenees to skiing at Whistler, that's stupid and ridiculous.

And yeah, 33 degrees is fun when you're on holiday, but it sucks loving balls to live in it all the time.

You're in love with Spain because you've never left the Canadian west coast and it's all new and fun to you. But living somewhere and visiting it as a tourist are just so completely different things you can't compare them at all.

I hate skiing and snowboarding, having tried both, so I'll admit I'm not qualified to pass judgement on that.

Regarding the horrendous temperatures, I'll say this: I'll take 33 with air conditioning rather than 25 in Calgary, where apparently air conditioning is considered unnecessary.

I have left the Canadian west coast (well, I don't consider Calgary the west coast, but, for the sake of argument...) many times. I live in Montreal for three years, and I've lived for this same period of time (approximately one month) in Cape Town and Ft. Lauderdale as well, in addition to being many other places for shorter periods of time. I imagine the shine would indeed wear off after a time, but I'd still give Madrid fairly high marks overall. Other places in Europe pissed me off way more, way faster, so it's not some general sort of infatuation with Europe either. Part of the reason I decided to stay here a whole month was to see if it was indeed as tolerable as I found it as a short-term tourist, and so far, so good. I became disenchanted with Montreal much faster than that.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

Perfectly legal, unfortunately.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Montreal is nice but it likes to get around 55c in the summer and -90c in the winter and so many of the buildings lack extreme luxuries like "AC" or "basic insulation" or at least they seem to if you're working class. Can get by pretty well only speaking english but there's a bit of a glass ceiling for jobs if you don't speak french fluently enough to make friends.

It's certainly better though than moving somewhere where speaking english means you're stuck being friends with a bunch of lovely anglo ex-pats and you will never ever be accepted fully by the locals even if you do learn the language. If you're someone who community is very important it makes being a globe trotting immigrant a terribly isolating experience. For a few years I was seriously considering moving to Prague but gently caress losing your entire social network and spending the rest of your life trying to master a tricky language desperately hoping to maybe make some friends.

How do you people that move around a lot, even to other countries, manage? Are you just really good at languages and forging new social networks or just not the sort of people who really need a circle of close friends nearby?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Lexicon posted:

Even if it wasn't legal, the burden of proof required in an RTB dispute is so onerous that it's effectively impossible to win in most cases.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Baronjutter posted:

It's certainly better though than moving somewhere where speaking english means you're stuck being friends with a bunch of lovely anglo ex-pats and you will never ever be accepted fully by the locals even if you do learn the language. If you're someone who community is very important it makes being a globe trotting immigrant a terribly isolating experience. For a few years I was seriously considering moving to Prague but gently caress losing your entire social network and spending the rest of your life trying to master a tricky language desperately hoping to maybe make some friends.

How do you people that move around a lot, even to other countries, manage? Are you just really good at languages and forging new social networks or just not the sort of people who really need a circle of close friends nearby?

I know what you mean, and the only reason I'd consider moving to a Spanish-speaking country is that I studied the language for long enough that I can get by. Honestly, I'm poo poo at forging a social network, but if anything I'm better when I'm abroad than when I'm in Canada, maybe because I feel like there's less pressure on me. Besides, right before I left Calgary, a huge portion of my social network sort of blew itself to bits, so it's good to have a bit of practice in a place where I don't know anyone.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Wealthy Toronto residents don't want neighbours with sub-million-dollar condos, lol

quote:

"I'm really concerned about my property value going down," Lisa Goodwin told the Star. "Right now all the houses are $1.1 to, say, $2.2 [million] but they're looking at putting in places that are only $500,000."

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

I unironically love Vancouver as a city and would rather live there (employment and housing prospects aside) than anywhere I've spent an extended period in.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I unironically don't like Vancouver because there are too many Chinese people. :boom:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

PT6A posted:

I know what you mean, and the only reason I'd consider moving to a Spanish-speaking country is that I studied the language for long enough that I can get by. Honestly, I'm poo poo at forging a social network, but if anything I'm better when I'm abroad than when I'm in Canada, maybe because I feel like there's less pressure on me. Besides, right before I left Calgary, a huge portion of my social network sort of blew itself to bits, so it's good to have a bit of practice in a place where I don't know anyone.

What's the social network story?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
He can't find white trash to hang out with and the basques won't take him

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

You pick up new languages really quickly when you're forced to live there. Or I guess you live a lonely existence and only know other dumb expats that couldn't be hosed learning something new.

I'm fluent in English and French, can hold a basic conversation in Spanish, and because of the latter I have literally had conversations with Italians where I've spoken in Spanish, they've replied in Italian, and we both understand each other.

Also picking up the real basics of a language is pretty easy. Immersion is the biggest thing though. You pick up a language so easily when your two choices are "learn or starve/be lonely"

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

"If you make my neighbourhood more popular my house prices might go down." -- Homeowner.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lexicon posted:

What's the social network story?

Fairly long story, but the quick version is that mixing business, friendship, and huge amounts of liquor and weed, and a sudden, bizarre sense of paranoia, can really gently caress things up. This guy was sort of the glue that held the network together, so although I still have friends, it's not really a "network" any more at this point, so one way or another it's going to require more effort than it had before to maintain my social life.

I hope he gets back on his rocker quickly, too, but he refuses to hear that he drinks too much and needs to stop smoking weed, so I doubt it'll happen. It did prompt me to massively cut back on the boozing, though, so I guess that's a good thing.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Biggest drop in biz investment since '09; exports decline for second quarter; inventories higher. Looks pretty "atrocious" from here. $CAD

https://twitter.com/CarmichaelKevin/status/604283650461409280

Get hosed Canada

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lmao

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Get hosed Canada

50% Net on housing doesn't translate well to a disposable income fueled capitalist utopia.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Seeing western Europe from the sky has really hammered home everything Canada has hosed up when it comes to planning, especially after seeing the crazy 1000x1000 acre perfect cubes that literally all of Alberta / Saskatchewan has been divided into.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Why Corporate Tax Cuts Are Pointless, in one handy chart.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Rime posted:

Seeing western Europe from the sky has really hammered home everything Canada has hosed up when it comes to planning, especially after seeing the crazy 1000x1000 acre perfect cubes that literally all of Alberta / Saskatchewan has been divided into.

Those towns and villages are hundreds of years old. They weren't "planned".

You want to see European planning? Go to Milton Keynes.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Try finding your way around a town in Europe without GPS. Every 10 blocks or so, you might see a sign with the name of the street you're on.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

THC posted:

Try finding your way around a town in Europe without GPS. Every 10 blocks or so, you might see a sign with the name of the street you're on.

Oh god, this. When you do finally see it, it's usually in a non-standard place in a barely readable font, too.

Renting a car here must have been sheer torture before GPS was invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

With the high price of housing these days, more buyers are turning to the Bank of Mom and Dad for help in acquiring a new home. Often, this takes the form of the parent advancing funds for a down payment.

Typically, banks will require confirmation that the parental assistance is a gift and not a loan. But when the family agrees otherwise, problems can arise. In at least one case it led to litigation.

In 2008, Nickolas Crepeau wanted to buy a house on Trailside Dr. in Sudbury, Ont., and asked his mother, Kathleen Crepeau, if she would provide the down payment the bank required in order to arrange mortgage financing on the property.

Kathleen agreed and in October 2008, she gave Nickolas a cheque for $30,000 for the down payment and some planned renovations. It was deposited into the joint account of Nickolas and his wife, Sarah-Jane.

After Kathleen’s cheque was cashed, Scotiabank issued a commitment letter for a mortgage loan of $368,910. Among other things, the commitment was conditional on the borrowers providing a gift letter from an immediate family member verifying the down payment.

Shortly afterward, all three parties signed a gift letter which provided:

“This is to confirm that a financial gift in the amount of $30,000 has been made to Nickolas Crepeau to assist in the purchase of a home. These funds are being provided as a gift and will not ever have to be repaid.”

Without this gift letter, Scotiabank would not have given the couple a mortgage so they could buy the property on Trailside Dr.

The transaction closed on November 17, 2008. Six months later, Kathleen wrote a demand letter to Nickolas requesting repayment of the $30,000.

The situation escalated, with Kathleen’s common-law spouse, Andy Racine, being drawn in to the claim, and the police were called in to mediate several times.

In the fall of 2009, Nick left messages on Kathleen’s answering machine. In part, he said:

“Mom, it’s Nick, I got your letter in the mail and ah, your (sic) gonna get your money whenever I feel like giving it to you, so just ah leave us alone OK like I don’t know what the f--- you, you don’t understand so I don’t know what to tell you OK. Love you, bye, bye.”

And later, in a message for Andy, he said:

“I’m just calling to say that ah . . . whatever you want to do, do what you got to do, Andy, cause you know what, your threats don’t f----- scare me one bit and ah, and ah I’m not dropping f--- all off, my mother already knows when I have to pay her back so it’s as simple as that.”

So much for a child’s gratitude.

Kathleen retained a lawyer who demanded repayment. Nick responded that he would not be repaying the $30,000 as it was a gift and not a loan.

Kathleen eventually sued her son and daughter-in-law. Thetrial took place in January 2012 before Justice Louise Gauthier. In their evidence, the parties disagreed on whether or not there was a signed side letter which confirmed that the $30,000 was a loan and not a gift.

In his evidence, Nickolas was unable to explain the voicemail message, “my mother already knows when I have to pay her back.”

The law applicable to this situation presumes that the money was a loan and not a gift, and it is up to the defendants to prove otherwise. After hearing the evidence of the parties, Justice Gauthier concluded that neither Nickolas nor Sarah was able to prove it was a gift.

Since the money was deposited into a joint account, the court ruled that Sarah and Nickolas were jointly responsible for repayment, despite Kathleen’s letter to the bank saying it was a gift.

The lesson of the case is when a parent assists a child with a down payment, the terms of the arrangement should always be put in writing. Failing to do so can tear families apart.

http://www.thestar.com/life/homes/2015/05/29/mom-helping-son-with-down-payment-ends-miserably.html

loving lol.

Also 'Nickolas' claims to make 90k year.

http://caselaw.canada.globe24h.com/0/0/ontario/superior-court-of-justice/2012/01/20/crepeau-v-crepeau-et-al-2012-onsc-418.shtml