Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Schubalts posted:

Hey now, the ESO devs actually seem to have listened to what players were saying, and people say it's much better than it was at launch.

Yeah, ESO's f2p conversion made a big difference. One part of that was a commitment to radically overhauling huge swathes of the endgame.

I signed up for the beta, I'll see how it goes. If they do eventually get a commitment to changing things like the ESO team, I suppose they can't make it any worse. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Byolante posted:

The word from my man in the know is that everyone at carbine is finding the nearest exit and moving to ANY other studio.

He wouldn't happen to be your uncle, who used to work for Nintendo, would he?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mizuti posted:

Turning the game into a more complete and accessible experience takes time and money and they've already pissed away a lot of their time and money with the original HARDCORE! model. I doubt they'll be allotted enough resources to try to bail it out properly.

This is the big question. Does Carbine even have the resources to make enough changes by Fall that will solve this problem enough to keep people around and will they spend those resources on the right changes/additions? I realize the overwhelming response will be a flat out "NO" in this thread and I mostly agree, but I am still legitimately curious to see what they plan to do (if anything) as far as big reforms and new content goes. I will say this though. If their plan is to do very little of these things and just hope that the F2P launch will net them enough time and money to start and finish the amount of changes needed then I have a bridge to sell them.

Enhancing the gear treadmill aspects of the game is not enough.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kelp Plankton posted:

See yall in f2p wildstar

Don't you threaten me, sir!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Iron Tusk posted:

I have a feeling that it's going to end up being permanent.

One would think/hope so, right? Like it removes pretty much all the necessity of anything outside of story quests which is how it should be.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

GhostBoy posted:

He wouldn't happen to be your uncle, who used to work for Nintendo, would he?

If you go back into my posts in this thread you will find one where I posted a copy of the friends and family beta email. If you know anyone who works in the industry in that area of the world you could probably hear similar stories.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Vermain posted:

Fortunately, Carbine has hired two of the best people in the industry to deal with their current financial situation. Let's give them a warm welcome!

Now it'll succeed beyond anyone's wildest dreams as a biting satire on the state of MMOs today.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yay I get to play with my house again! (Literally the only thing I care about)

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/37l82q/wildstar_is_going_freetoplay/crnvo3r

quote:

Let me leave this rant here. I'd like to make it known before hand that if your name doesn't have "CRB" in it or a Carbine label on your post, you can kindly stick your face in that deep fryer you're working at today. This post isn't for you.
The fact that I have been punished for using CREDD, using the system as it was intended since Headstart is infuriating. Though I did sub for almost 7 months there was little value in it beyond supporting the 3 reamining Carbine employees, one of which is now moving to a large company were they create games that are successful on accident. Another employee that came from a horribly failing f2p shooter that has one of the funniest personalities online and is a very genuine person.
None of that matters right? Sadly I agree, what's important isn't important. Got it.
After 7 requests for a closed beta key from Carbine years ago, that went ignored I had to do what most anyone already did. Buy a beta key. (my fault, I agree) but I did and paid a pretty penny for it. I wanted to play Wildstar even if Carbine didn't want me to play. I did anyway.
I was there for 3 months of CB I was there for headstart on May 31st I was there until I lost my job, my life, everything and trying to get it all back. its a slow process for those of you with silver spoons. Life is actually hard.
I want the mounts and all the goodies that the "sub" players are getting. Why? because I'm entitled. YEP THATS RIGHT! ENTITLED And so are the rest of you that are getting poo poo on for not spending 15 / month that used the CREDD system to keep playing.
I suggest you all sit back down in your meeting room and discuss the value of NOT alienating your SUPPORTERS.
Start the top teir gifts from May 31st or ANYONE that was in Closed Beta. whether they quit or not. Give them the top tier mounts etc.
There is a small group of us that have already figured out that your favorite mouthy poo poo heads on the dominion side will be getting extra things along with the continued favoritism you've shown them for about a year but me personally, i'm willing to overlook it.
If this F2P promo isn't corrected, I hope to GOD the players that are leaving becuase of F2P is so detrimental you all fold up shop.
One good decision in a huge mess of bad decisions should be made.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes
Now Fran can save that $15 a month and spend it on some dental insurance.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why is the dude bemoaning 15 dollars a month calling out fast food workers? glass houses, jesus.

if you can't pay 15 a month a sub-based game whatever that's cool and fine but maybe don't sit on a high horse about people's occupations

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
People are really pissed off about a piece of virtual good.

quote:

[–]Thorgate [score hidden] an hour ago 

Having to be a sub since day 1 is such a draconian measure. A lot of people have to take time off because of work. A lot of people couldn't raid in 40 mans because of performance issues. None of these things have anything to do with loyalty yet people are being PUNISHED for them when they return.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Even as a person lame and sad enough to occasionally play MMO's I will never understand the obsession so many people have with collecting mounts and pets.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's an extension of playing dress-up. If there is a mount/pet that can only be gotten in one way that is forever closed off, people will want it because of its unique appearance and to lord it over people who missed their chance. Mostly the latter, though.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is so precious. It fills my heart with the sweetest glee.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
The FAQ for those curious. Didn't notice if it's been linked. Signature(paid) accounts get a 25% rep boost from quests and 50% from kills, along with 25% more XP and a bunch of other poo poo. :stare:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

My favorite post from that reddit thread

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bombogenesis posted:

The FAQ for those curious. Didn't notice if it's been linked. Signature(paid) accounts get a 25% rep boost from quests and 50% from kills, along with 25% more XP and a bunch of other poo poo. :stare:

As awful as it sounds that's pretty par for the course on F2P MMO's. It's actually significantly less restrictive to non-subscribers than The Old Republic, for example.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

As awful as it sounds that's pretty par for the course on F2P MMO's. It's actually significantly less restrictive to non-subscribers than The Old Republic, for example.

Yeah I'm okay with this. basically carbine is selling everyone XP boosters except that the boost is activated all the time.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

desudrive posted:

Now Fran can save that $15 a month and spend it on some dental insurance.
Uh, the truly hardcore will be staying subbed.

She can just put the cupcakes in a blender.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

So what are the odds that Carbine isn't just going to reduce all the EXP/Rep given by normal means and the 'Boost' is actually just putting it back to the pre-F2P standard?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Why the hell would they burn their media capital now, when F2P is still months away? Whoever is in charge of PR at Carbine should be dragged out into the street and shot; all of those potential players that they might have actually lured in thanks to the announcement headlines on the top of every gaming news source are going to have completely forgotten about the game when it finally actually is F2P, and good loving luck getting those headlines again with what will be old news by then.

Don't. Announce. Until. It's. Ready.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Bombogenesis posted:

I like how free players get 1% rested experience for every 12 hours they're logged off. :haw:

Father Wendigo posted:

So what are the odds that Carbine isn't just going to reduce all the EXP/Rep given by normal means and the 'Boost' is actually just putting it back to the pre-F2P standard?

This is almost certainly what will happen.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

It's Carbine, they'll make it so even subbed people still level slower than now because the new casual scum weren't hardcore enough to be around at launch and thus NEED to be punished for the game going F2P/coming into the game late.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
We live in a strange era in gaming where p2w no longer means paying for in-game advantages and now means "not as bad as x p2w game".

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Belzac posted:

We live in a strange era in gaming where p2w no longer means paying for in-game advantages and now means "not as bad as x p2w game".

Depends. Exp boosts and money boosts have never counted because even if they technically are bought power, it's immaterial. Other things exist in a waffly area. Like this guaranteed circuit board whatever the poo poo (I don't play this poo poo game) is something I would probably call p2win but other people would just gloss over it.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

biznatchio posted:

Why the hell would they burn their media capital now, when F2P is still months away? Whoever is in charge of PR at Carbine should be dragged out into the street and shot; all of those potential players that they might have actually lured in thanks to the announcement headlines on the top of every gaming news source are going to have completely forgotten about the game when it finally actually is F2P, and good loving luck getting those headlines again with what will be old news by then.

Don't. Announce. Until. It's. Ready.

It's so they can hold a F2P "beta".

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Unguided posted:

It's so they can hold a F2P "beta".

Well of COURSE when you say it like that, it comes off like they wanna to monetize this transition despite the fact that their product is blatantly not ready.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

VoLaTiLe posted:

So how is everyones fav Wildstar personality FranBunny taking all this poo poo?

They better not be wiping everyones accounts I may start playing this game again, need to finish my house

Maybe this could be fun to play again in between FFXIV content cycles, I did miss yelling at people and sherpaing people through the dungeons

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Depends. Exp boosts and money boosts have never counted because even if they technically are bought power, it's immaterial. Other things exist in a waffly area. Like this guaranteed circuit board whatever the poo poo (I don't play this poo poo game) is something I would probably call p2win but other people would just gloss over it.
You can customize the stats you put on crafted gear, but it increases the charge you have. If you overcharge, you have an X% chance for the craft to fail, but the gear will have more stats if it succeeds.

So subbed players can squeeze slightly more stats onto gear. I guess that is basically "buying for power" but it honestly won't make a huge difference and f2p players can just give the mats to a subbed player.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This game is a piece of poo poo and F2P isn't going to save it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

i am tim! posted:

Well of COURSE when you say it like that, it comes off like they wanna to monetize this transition despite the fact that their product is blatantly not ready.
Considering the trainwreck that patch rollouts tend to be, I think it's pretty smart to do a beta test rather than launch f2p out of nowhere and a weird bug like "deactivated accounts all got deleted"

But that would be entertaining as hell to watch, so I say gently caress the beta :getin:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

I said come in! posted:

:drat:

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
So my CREDD is still on my account.

All 48 of them...?

I knew I was a Wildstar robber baron during launch but I don't remember buying that many. Today it looks like they sell for about 15 to 17 plat each. I was buying them up when they were around 2 to 4 plat each.

It's like inheriting a bunch of Walmart stock that your grandpa had, except Walmart is CompUSA in this case.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

I said come in! posted:

:agreed:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I said come in! posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I said come in! posted:

mods please make this the thread title thanks

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Givin posted:

So my CREDD is still on my account.

All 48 of them...?

I knew I was a Wildstar robber baron during launch but I don't remember buying that many. Today it looks like they sell for about 15 to 17 plat each. I was buying them up when they were around 2 to 4 plat each.

It's like inheriting a bunch of Walmart stock that your grandpa had, except Walmart is CompUSA in this case.

Think of all those box copy mounts you could get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The true hardcore will now play wildstar for free with no exp boost.

• Locked thread