Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ruggington posted:

I still find everything the Japanese guy says to be funny because I am a child who has watched too much anime

He just sounds so enthusiastic about turning Demons into Ghosts. Then he uses the 3D glasses so he can see the ghosts and kill those too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chard posted:

What makes a horrible medic in your opinion? I main medic and did in KF1 so if I'm doing something boneheaded it's high time I knocked that off.

Never healing.
Constantly running off by yourself.
Running around with an off perk weapon+never healing.
Just standing around like a dope when everyone is dealing with the big poo poo.
Not dealing with the trash mobs when someone's dealing with a scrake or fleshpound.
Blocking the door way when an angry scrake or fleshpound is bearing down on someone with low HP who had to break off fighting it specifically because nobody dealt with the small poo poo while they where dealing with it, and instead of healing the low HP guy they just shoot the FP or scrake which leads to the person dying.

And my personal favorite.

Not using a single one of the armor repair perks and poison darting scrakes the moment they appear thus leading to them raging when nobody is prepared for it.

These are all things I've seen, you can ask toaster if you don't believe me, I've had games with 4 medics at a time and not a single has bothered to heal anyone, they usually just die last, not lowbies either, medics in their 20's or 25.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I enjoy playing medic simply because it changes from a zed-shooting game to a "try and get a shot on that guy in the distance when other guys keep getting in between us" game. I really like trying to place myself in the best spot to cover the most people, and even with the homing darts you still feel like a bad-rear end for getting a heal off way across the map.
I try to clear up trash if it's going to block or get behind someone, and target sirens who are behind the big guys. Other than that I tend to leave shooting to others, which sometimes makes me feel like I'm not pulling my weight. But I'd rather be able to heal someone when it's needed than to be caught reloading.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Do the poison darts do enough damage to be worth it?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geight posted:

Do the poison darts do enough damage to be worth it?

On trash mobs mostly but its not worth losing the extra armor heal.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
If anyone's scared of medic because we've been talking poo poo about bad medics, here's my advice for how to medic well:

1) Healing is your #1 priority.
2) Don't be a frontline fighter.
3) Provide flexible fire support
4) Conserve your grenades and don't ever use them on yourself.
5) Save your shotgun for emergencies (edit: Specifically Scrakes and FPs)

Yeah, five bullet points. Huzzah! Your quick guide to playing medic.

To expound on each a little:

1 is real easy. You're a combat medic. Combat is not the operative word here, medic is. If people are hurt, dump a gun's worth of needles into your team, change weapons, dump that, and continue until people are healthy enough that you can shoot things without teammates dying.
2 follows from 1. If you're stuck in the front lines, you're not going to heal people effectively because you'll be too busy getting your face clawed off.
3 follows from 1 and 2. You should be in the middle of the room, constantly checking on how everyone is doing. I tend to thin crowds for Commandos/Zerkers and finish remnants for Supports. In my experience it's the best way to help them. Seriously clean up lone clots and crawlers for your Supports and they'll love you forever.
4 should be obvious, but somehow eludes many pubbies. Medic Grenades are handily the best in the grenade and, because of this, should be treated as a precious resource.
5 medics don't get bonus shotgun penetration, so 60 shells doesn't go nearly as far as even 20 shells will on a Support. It's really easy to blow through your whole capacity of shotgun ammo real fast cause it's semi auto and clip fed. (edit: also the medic shotgun has awful damage, and is only even potentially worth clipdumping into a scrake or fleshpound once then switching guns)

Someone teach me to Support. I'm awful at it.

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 29, 2015

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

These are all things I've seen, you can ask toaster if you don't believe me, I've had games with 4 medics at a time and not a single has bothered to heal anyone, they usually just die last, not lowbies either, medics in their 20's or 25.

Remember that grinding map from my gif? I see probably a dozen servers running it every time I go through the server browser. There are a whole lot of "Level 20" players that aren't.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
As long as you are least make a token effort to heal people and didn't pick the class just so you can dump medic grenades on your own feet, you are a cool medic even if you took poison darts.

Though totally murder crawlers with your SMG like you get gold star stickers for it or something. This goes for commandos too (If my Commando isn't killing Crawlers near you, it's because I've dropped everything to blow the head off a Siren)

Magres posted:

5 medics don't get bonus shotgun penetration, so 60 shells doesn't go nearly as far as even 20 shells will on a Support. It's really easy to blow through your whole capacity of shotgun ammo real fast cause it's semi auto and clip fed.

Someone teach me to Support. I'm awful at it.

#5 is surprisingly important.

What part of being a support are you "awful" at? Are you unable to resist the temptation to kill single trash enemies with your shotgun over and over? like me

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 29, 2015

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Do medic darts stack (either my own or from a few different medics at once) when I'm healing a guy who is really low on health?

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Gromit posted:

Do medic darts stack (either my own or from a few different medics at once) when I'm healing a guy who is really low on health?

They should. I've brought a person back from near death with three darts from the Medic assault rifle. It still takes time for the health to heal up but it does seem to just keep applying health.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Section Z posted:

As long as you are least make a token effort to heal people and didn't pick the class just so you can dump medic grenades on your own feet, you are a cool medic even if you took poison darts.

Though totally murder crawlers with your SMG like you get gold star stickers for it or something. This goes for commandos too (If my Commando isn't killing Crawlers near you, it's because I've dropped everything to blow the head off a Siren)

#5 is surprisingly important.

What part of being a support are you "awful" at? Are you unable to resist the temptation to kill single trash enemies with your shotgun over and over? like me

Yes. Specifically Crawlers. Because pubbies are too dense to ever have the situational awareness to turn and pop crawlers. But in general I'm really wasteful with my shotgun shots :(

Also echoing your call for Medics and Commandos to murder Crawlers with extreme prejudice. They're the bane of Supports in my experience.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Gromit posted:

I am fairly sure they do stack, but shoving 5 darts into someone's butt simultaneously seems to lose a lot of efficiency, and they don't heal up at a faster rate. It seems a lot more efficient to peg a new dart into them every second instead of all at once. IME, putting 3 darts into a person with a delay between each shot will bring them all the way up to full HP, while putting4 darts in them rapidfire seems to only give them half their HP, and leaves you with no energy to shoot darts for a few seconds.

Short version, they seem to stack, but it is very inefficient and you'll do much better holding your fire. Which leads back to the medic advice earlier, that you should focus more on healing than killing, because you'll be a more efficient healer if you keep a steady stream of darts going out.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Magres posted:

If anyone's scared of medic because we've been talking poo poo about bad medics, here's my advice for how to medic well:

1) Healing is your #1 priority.
2) Don't be a frontline fighter.
3) Provide flexible fire support
4) Conserve your grenades and don't ever use them on yourself.
5) Save your shotgun for emergencies

Yeah, five bullet points. Huzzah! Your quick guide to playing medic.

#5 I disagree with, I find the Medic shotgun underpowered.

In my opinion Medic needs to play as a Commando, with a huge emphasis on healing. Medic is for taking out the trash, it can kill Clots, Crawlers, Gorefasts, Stalkers, and pop the heads off Bloats with the AR almost as well as Commando can, and since the AR shoots so fast you can literally magdump into a Siren or Husk's face to take care of them quickly.

The problem with the Medic shotgun is that no penetration, plus all shotguns have pitifully low ammo pools. Personally I go Medic Pistol, save up and buy the AR, then buy a SCAR or AK12 because that's real crowd control with a good ammo reserve.

To add to this:
1) Don't Medzerk. Everyone knows Berserker needs a buff but going against a Scrake or Fleshpound with the Pulverizer without the extra melee damage or someone healing you isn't worth it. You're better off kiting or circling and just dumping mags into their chests while everyone else helps. It is possible to Medzerk but it's really rare to see someone do it well.
2) Don't press middle mouse just once. When you lock onto someone mash that dart button as much as you can. Switch guns and keep mashing it. Make sure you have the Medic AR because that thing's darts recharge insanely fast. Once you reach level 20 with Armorer and Vaccination you heal 6 armor to non-medic classes per dart if the target's health is under 100. Even if that person doesn't NEED to be healed anymore just dumping them full of darts while their health bar is still going up means you can give someone 30-50 armor easy in a matter of seconds. And if you're healing another Medic they can get 9-11 armor depending on their level. Even if you're not at level 20 yet giving someone 2 armor per dart adds up, especially if they're next to a Siren. 10 armor can be the difference between life and death.
3) As Medic you are literally the toughest class right now. If poo poo's going down try to get the big guys to follow you. Your speed and armor means you'll be the hardest to kill, but you're not invincible. Just giving your team some time to mop up, reload, find ammo, heal, and regroup can be extremely important while all the Scrakes and Fleshpounds are stomping after you. If there's only one big guy left Medic is the best choice to circlestrafe the enemy in place with a medic grenade at its feet or parry it while everyone else shoots it freely.
4) Related to number 3, even if poo poo is going after you, prioritize your healing. You can take a couple chainsaws to the face or Gorefast blades to the chest, but if a teammate is getting swarmed, HEAL THEM! Throw a grenade at them, or at your own feet to preserve yourself (and kill little poo poo around you/them) but dart them for god's sake. Even if you're getting separated and pushed back a couple darts before you lose sight of them can literally save their life and give them time to break out.
5) Related to number 4, keep tabs on your teammates. The Tab menu is wonky right now, but when it works it can tell you who needs healing the most if you've lost sight of them. It is okay to chase after a teammate a little bit to heal them, but if they're separating from the main group on purpose, or going too far, forget them unless there's another medic to keep the other group alive. It's not worth it sacrificing the team for one person.

Many of these are related to your teammates as well. Bad teammates can make being a good medic hard sometimes, but a decent team should be able to keep themselves alive with your help.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magres posted:

Yes. Specifically Crawlers. Because pubbies are too dense to ever have the situational awareness to turn and pop crawlers. But in general I'm really wasteful with my shotgun shots :(

Also echoing your call for Medics and Commandos to murder Crawlers with extreme prejudice. They're the bane of Supports in my experience.

If you play the Crawler scream backwards, you hear "Made you waste a shell!" and "Jesus is a friend of mine."

EDIT: The Med shotgun is pretty nice for wildly shooting it into single targets, or at least getting a chunk of trash off your back. While it is a Tier 3 gun, that's still 10 semi auto shots of about the same damage as the stock pump action. I'd rather take the medic shotgun over the Combat shotgun at least.

I can totally see skipping over it to get the rifle faster though. SMG+Med rifle just feels more practical if you are a mindset of "I want to use just my perk weapons" than Med shotty+Med rifle just because the SMG can shoot trash farther out.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 29, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Abandoned Toaster posted:

#5 I disagree with, I find the Medic shotgun underpowered.

Emergencies primarily means "clipdump your shotgun into scrakes and fleshpounds." I'm not positive because the medic shotgun is pathetically weak in damage now that I'm actually looking at numbers, but I think you'll get more DPS bursted out quickly if you clipdump your shotgun then switch to the AR to keep shooting.

E: I also edited my original post to reflect this

Magres fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 29, 2015

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

gnome7 posted:

I am fairly sure they do stack, but shoving 5 darts into someone's butt simultaneously seems to lose a lot of efficiency, and they don't heal up at a faster rate. It seems a lot more efficient to peg a new dart into them every second instead of all at once. IME, putting 3 darts into a person with a delay between each shot will bring them all the way up to full HP, while putting4 darts in them rapidfire seems to only give them half their HP, and leaves you with no energy to shoot darts for a few seconds.

Short version, they seem to stack, but it is very inefficient and you'll do much better holding your fire. Which leads back to the medic advice earlier, that you should focus more on healing than killing, because you'll be a more efficient healer if you keep a steady stream of darts going out.

Once you get armor-restoring medic darts, you should be putting as many as possible into one guy to restore as much armor as you can before their health hits full. I mean, don't worry about that while there's two fleshpounds bearing down on the team or whatever, but when things are under control and you've got time to recharge the darts, pump as many into your friends as possible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Magres posted:

Emergencies primarily means "clipdump your shotgun into scrakes and fleshpounds." I'm not positive because the medic shotgun is pathetically weak in damage now that I'm actually looking at numbers, but I think you'll get more DPS bursted out quickly if you clipdump your shotgun then switch to the AR to keep shooting.
That's what I've been doing, plus it also has a decent dart supply. It seems like, with zero penetration, its for magdumping at big targets and then running like gently caress to get the AR back out. That said, I think using an off-perk weapon (commando) might be a decent option here if you really need the damage, but you shouldn't. More medic guns = more darts to poo poo out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

E: I also edited my original post to reflect this

You'll do more damage with the SMG then quick swapping to the AR, the shotgun shoots 5 shells I believe? And its just super weak overall, the only good thing it has is fast dart regen.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

You'll do more damage with the SMG then quick swapping to the AR, the shotgun shoots 5 shells I believe? And its just super weak overall, the only good thing it has is fast dart regen.

Medic shotgun can hold TEN shots. Looking that spreadsheet, if those numbers are right then (if all the pellets hit), wildly magdumping your Medic shotgun into something is the same damage as emptying your med rifle clip. (SMG has 15 damage bullets, so a whole clip on target would be 600 and probably take longer to empty out.)

Shotgun: (20*6)10 = 1,200
Rifle: 40*30= 1,200

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GDpg2mN1l_86U_RaDug0glFx8cZCuErwxZLiBKl9SyY/edit#gid=2068776317

EDIT: That said, the Rifle is still a better weapon to have. Better darts, longer range, likely able to kill more trash by carefully managing one clip since the medic lacks penetration bonuses. But from a standpoint of wildly mashing your fire button into a fleshpound, the shotgun is fine.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 29, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
The shotgun clipdumps significantly faster - 300 RoF vs the SMG and Rifle's 342, much smaller clip to dump. For big enemies it might be worth clipdumping your shotgun, then your rifle, then going back to shotgun until the big nasty is dead.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

I still find everything the Japanese guy says to be funny because I am a child who has watched too much anime

I was in a game where three people were playing him and they almost always yelled "KUSO!" in unison.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Is there some way of turning the semi-automatic weapons (pistols, shotguns etc.) into automatics through use of mouse scripts or something? The biggest challenge for me in this game is actually clicking the mouse about 1000 times per round without my fingers seizing up.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

immortal flow posted:

Is there some way of turning the semi-automatic weapons (pistols, shotguns etc.) into automatics through use of mouse scripts or something? The biggest challenge for me in this game is actually clicking the mouse about 1000 times per round without my fingers seizing up.

With shotguns if you hold the fire button down while you're already firing, it'll shoot again as soon as possible. The same is true for other weapons but isn't as practical. Other than that, there are a few brands of mouse that automatically click for you.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

Theta Zero posted:

With shotguns if you hold the fire button down while you're already firing, it'll shoot again as soon as possible. The same is true for other weapons but isn't as practical. Other than that, there are a few brands of mouse that automatically click for you.

I was referring to the medic shotgun in particular, but thanks :) I'll miss my lovely old Intellimouse.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing

immortal flow posted:

I was referring to the medic shotgun in particular, but thanks :) I'll miss my lovely old Intellimouse.

Oh I just downloaded Autohotkey instead :smug:

OK this'll save years on my wrists.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Tripwire: I would buy Hotline Miami 2 DLC for $10 if we got all the Fans complete with masks. Obviously Alex will need a chainsaw.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

Tripwire: I would buy Hotline Miami 2 DLC for $10 if we got all the Fans complete with masks. Obviously Alex will need a chainsaw.

If this happens will I be able to put a pig mask on Briar? Will it unlock Duke Nukem one liners for being a pig cop?

Speakin of Cops, still curious how SWAT will end up. Basically my only hopes for the class are-
No loving flashbangs, gimme something for killing zeds.
All of it's Perk weapons can pop the skulls off trash in one bullet to the brain.

Mostly it's me wanting to avoid "SWAT in viddy games = Flashbangs :pseudo:" because we are in a game about killing hordes of enemies, not careful breach and clear whoops I hit the hostages start over. I'd be perfectly fine with the all of the SWAT guns being 'weaker' than the commando guns so long as none of them are below 20 "blow the head off trash" damage.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 29, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I kind of envision SWAT as a tanky, CQC character. SMGs and a way to attract aggro I guess.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Give me a class that can use the Taunt Zeds command to draw aggro please and thank you

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ruggington posted:

Give me a class that can use the Taunt Zeds command to draw aggro please and thank you

Just rip off Godhand for Dragon, TIA.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/231153538426768782

Jesus christ, Tripwire. How can you call yourself a big name developer if you're actually going to listen to customer feedback?

Also they mention getting rid of circle strafing making enemies just stand there, so we're probably not going to be able to handle Scrakes as easily anymore.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Theta Zero posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/231153538426768782

Jesus christ, Tripwire. How can you call yourself a big name developer if you're actually going to listen to customer feedback?

Also they mention getting rid of circle strafing making enemies just stand there, so we're probably not going to be able to handle Scrakes as easily anymore.

Hahaha oh man this thing owns

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Ready for firebug now

e;fb

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I am ready for caulk jokes.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Shumagorath posted:

Tony mask for martial artist perk, but lemme put on the Jones mask for even more gore.

E:

quote:

Weapons - Look for ways to improve on the M4/Eviscerator

Either make the M4 weigh less or carry more.

Beeb fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 30, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Hiding that one dosh bling inside the circuit breaker of Volter Mansion and in the light fixture of Biotics Lab was devious :argh:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Capn Beeb posted:

Either make the M4 weigh less or carry more.

I still think it needs more than just semi-auto and "Same damage as everything else" over the stock pump. Just making it weight less, or just making it hold more shells isn't enough.

If you made it 5 weight with 8 shells, then it would still be a Tier weapon that costs 1,100 dosh for barely a step up from the pump action. Literally every single shotgun in the game that isn't the pump action can semi-auto anyways. Then NAILGUN is a better shotgun than the Combat shotgun (more damage, less weight), unless you vastly prefer the shell feeding over clip fed method. But even then it costs practically half as much.

It needs something to make it stand out, not the bare minimum to keep it from being garbage. Boomstick is nice but it's also not 1,100 nice, so merely swapping places just fucks over the boomstick.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 30, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

Hiding that one dosh bling inside the circuit breaker of Volter Mansion and in the light fixture of Biotics Lab was devious :argh:

KF 1 had them hidden in spots in the ceilings and outside the map...

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

quote:

Circle Strafing - We need to react to the fact that it is really exploity, non-exciting gameplay
Large Zed (and boss) Gameplay - Refining this in general to make it more obviously skill-based and exciting

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Right now the leveling tree is Actual Choice / Idiotic Choice for Dumb Babbies at every. tier. So it's good to know that that's going to change in at least some way.