Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

LOL they have great hit pieces like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUrZohWp-rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FTOqJmdI48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
so is this like

an arrested development/the office style comedy show?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

ah yes, the good ol' early 2000's "just put that poo poo anywhere and everywhere" method of design

Window Future Black comb Vienna 11

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Windows Widget eDITION

no leak plz ;)

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
pretty much any of those look more usable than windows 10

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also lol i forgot how horrifyingly ugly msn explorer was

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Beeftweeter posted:

Window Future Black comb Vienna 11

This is loving ownage

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Beeftweeter posted:

Windows Widget eDITION

no leak plz ;)

COOL

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

was this their aol clone lol gently caress

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
windows users are delusional

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pram posted:

yeah kinda. im pretty sure you needed it to use msn dialup

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

windows users are delusional

lol

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
these are all great

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i called a guy a computer janitor on reddit and he deleted his account lol

http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/37g1ic/my_2015_macbook_yosemite_is_noticeably_slower/crmxu4b

cremnob posted:

LOL they have great hit pieces like this

and of course you would defend him you piece of poo poo

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

wow even as a mac user and mocker of open sores i can smell the FUD in this article.

what the hell it's written by "julie bort" is this real??

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Linux operating system has become a huge, dominant force in the data center and given rise to prosperous commercial companies like Red Hat. It has been a hit on tiny objects (known as an "embedded operating system"). But it's never touched Microsoft Windows much in the world of PCs.

The closest it's come is the success of Android, which uses Linux at its core. That's why the Linux Foundation – the keeper of the main Linux operating system – likes to claim that Linux is at the heart of over 1.3m Android smart phones activated daily.

well android passed 1 billion devices two years ago, which is the same number of devices microsoft says will be compatible with windows10, so i guess "the closest it's come" is beating it's market share in 2013

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

pram posted:

well this is a later version. here's the one my dad's office got to test out

looks like crap, aol was a lot better imo

...was, and is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1tLxfdif4

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I'm every single thing in all of these screenshots

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

Beeftweeter posted:

:stare:

i used this on a daily basis at an old job.
it's all coming back to me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i just found that despite its presence in every windows 10 screenshot ever made, you can in fact turn off the search box on the task bar

then it just looks like regular w8 poo poo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

nice. what did he say that prompted you making that comment?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

This gave me much pleasure thank you kevin.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

hmm this screen looks a bit bare... better add some pointless text

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

pictured: what happens when you use microsoft frontpage to create your phone's user interface

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Phoenixan posted:

ah yes, the good ol' early 2000's "just put that poo poo anywhere and everywhere" method of design

And make huge fat buffers of space around everything at 1024x768

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Millstone posted:

And make huge fat buffers of space around everything at 1024x768

and the "everyone has 32 bit color now, better use all of it" gradients

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i tested out a lumia 830 today for the hell of it

they hosed up w8 phone os so badly that it took me, a person who used winpho7 and 7.5 for two years, four tries to find the loving mail application on the clusterfuck of a "start" screen

search for "mail", nope. search for "outlook", nope. look under "office", nope, just mail attachments

turns out it's called "exchange" if you have an activesync account set up, complete with a new office-style "E" on folded paper icon that's never been seen anywhere else ever. you know, because everyone using windows be checking "exchange" for their mail every day.

how do you gently caress this up this goddamn badly? you own all the loving brands, just keep them even remotely consistent between your n-screen convergence devices for fucks sake.

and the phone is a clunky piece of poo poo even compared to the hugephone 6

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
well that's one way to get exchange running on arm

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

wasn't the client in, like, early windows 95 using the "exchange" name? I want to say that's right but I could be completely wrong

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Phoenixan posted:

'hey it worked for carson' *designs hodge podge os for 20 years*

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

wait so what is office 2016

i thought office was office 365 now, so it's like a subscription

or is it a subscription to get the new versions of office? so do you get new office 20xx until your office 365 runs out?

this is a legitimate question i don't feel like trying to figure it out from their website

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

DuckConference posted:

wait so what is office 2016

i thought office was office 365 now, so it's like a subscription

or is it a subscription to get the new versions of office? so do you get new office 20xx until your office 365 runs out?

this is a legitimate question i don't feel like trying to figure it out from their website

office 365 is the name for the full subscription service, which gives you access to both the online applications and the most recent desktop releases. the desktop releases are the traditional suites, e.g. 2016 or 'for mac 1990' or whatever. office 365 also includes whatever else they bundle nowadays (skype minutes, cloud storage, etc)

so you would subscribe to office 365, and one of the things that gets you is the ability to downloa dand install office 2016. or you can purchase 2016 standalone in the store without an office 365 subscription.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

office 365 is the name for the full subscription service, which gives you access to both the online applications and the most recent desktop releases. the desktop releases are the traditional suites, e.g. 2016 or 'for mac 1990' or whatever. office 365 also includes whatever else they bundle nowadays (skype minutes, cloud storage, etc)

so you would subscribe to office 365, and one of the things that gets you is the ability to downloa dand install office 2016. or you can purchase 2016 standalone in the store without an office 365 subscription.
i think only some of the office 365 tiers include the standalone downloadable office and others are online/clicktorun-only

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

i think only some of the office 365 tiers include the standalone downloadable office and others are online/clicktorun-only

all the paid ones for personal use get the full office but surprise, there is a paid tier without downloadable apps on business for some reason.

infernal machines posted:

they hosed up w8 phone os so badly that it took me, a person who used winpho7 and 7.5 for two years, four tries to find the loving mail application on the clusterfuck of a "start" screen

search for "mail", nope. search for "outlook", nope. look under "office", nope, just mail attachments

turns out it's called "exchange" if you have an activesync account set up, complete with a new office-style "E" on folded paper icon that's never been seen anywhere else ever. you know, because everyone using windows be checking "exchange" for their mail every day.

how do you gently caress this up this goddamn badly? you own all the loving brands, just keep them even remotely consistent between your n-screen convergence devices for fucks sake.

You choose the name for the account when you set up the email account. I'm sorry you didn't do that and subsequently got yourself confused.

(They are changing this to an actual outlook app in w10 for phones because yeah it is actually bad for normal people. I still like my email accounts to be standalone views or however you'd call it but I sucked it up and stuck them all in outlook for ios)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 29, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

infernal machines posted:

sounds like a real piece of poo poo op

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Paul thurrot just told me to download sway for ios. perhaps I will do that.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
imagine being dumb enough to actually buy a windows phone. the thought just brings a smile to my face, knowing the person who did that must be an unprecedented moron

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pram posted:

imagine being dumb enough to actually buy a windows phone. the thought just brings a smile to my face, knowing the person who did that must be an unprecedented moron

come now, there have been previous morons who bought winphones

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

pram posted:

i unironically think this every time ive seen one out in the world (twice in five years) or hear of someone who had one

the one time my wife saw one irl she actually laughed out loud because "who the gently caress would want windows on a telephone? no one wants windows anywhere!" which i cant argue with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
my dad had some nokia windows poo poo thing so i gave him my 5 and i bought a 5s :)

• Locked thread