Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As it turns out I got the XP bug after all. Gonna have to make up for it with a lot of wildlife and bandit killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

NicelyNice posted:

In a game of questionable controls the underwater controls REALLY take the cake. How did these end up so badly? What ever happened to "swim in the direction you're pointing?"

Huh? That's what happens. Using an xbone controller, whatever way I look, I swim.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~

T.G. Xarbala posted:

As it turns out I got the XP bug after all. Gonna have to make up for it with a lot of wildlife and bandit killing.

I don't think random mobs provide experience when killed. It has to be quest related, no?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Endgame-ish relationship question: I dumped Yen on the ship, magic's gone etc etc etc, afterwards while leading up to the final showdown, her disposition towards you is sorta tired of your poo poo, Geralt. At this point I'm not sure if that's just her usual self or she's trying just trying to kill you with looks and words. Is she any cheerier if you don't dump her?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The swimming controls are fairly straightforward if you're just moving in a general direction and using the stick.

When diving/rising are involved, or you're trying to approach a specific spot it's all sorts of horrible. Half the time I swim past the object I'm trying to loot, then (just like on land) you can't just spin the camera around because Geralt has to be facing the item and if he's too close the prompt won't come up. Try diving straight down then trying to swim through a narrow gap, like a hole in one of the sunken ships. You'll wind up moving forward during the descent even though you didn't want to, missing your approach because Geralt bounces off surfaces instead of continuing to swim alongside them. At this point you have to make a wide circle to come at your target again while trying to keep yourself level, without bouncing off the sea floor.

Again, in open water moving in a single direction it's fine. Anything else is fiddly, and involves as much weird speed/momentum shifting as Geralt's on-land controls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

theDOWmustflow posted:

I don't think random mobs provide experience when killed. It has to be quest related, no?

Got 30 XP for killing a random mucknix(?) drowner thing. With a skull icon.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I read an official from Gog or a dev confirmed the XP bug if the quest is 6 levels lower? Is that still the case? Is it safe to continue on with quests close to my own level?

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

NaDy posted:

Huh? That's what happens. Using an xbone controller, whatever way I look, I swim.

PureRok posted:

You can.

Cheers, apparently they're so difficult because I have zero reading comprehension and I'm terrible at games. For some reason I thought the only way to move vertically was by using the ascent/descent buttons

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
Beat it. 125 hours and a truly kickass ending out of apparently a ton of them. I'm very sad that I'm done until the DLC.

Witcher 3 Full Clear Opinion:
:perfect:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

dud root posted:

I read an official from Gog or a dev confirmed the XP bug if the quest is 6 levels lower? Is that still the case? Is it safe to continue on with quests close to my own level?

Nope, it's by design that you don't get XP for low level quests (a design choice I dislike when they could have figured out an alternate reward like reduced XP or mutagens or cards). The bug is affecting primary and secondary quests in your level range that should reward XP.

You still get XP from completing question mark stuff, so I've been using this as an opportunity to clean up some of the map.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

dud root posted:

Quests that are 6 levels or more below your level (marked grey) aren't supposed to give you any exp. The bug is that even quests marked green or red aren't giving any.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
I think it's the, at times, anachronistic language that makes the Witcher world and Geralt in particular so charming.

"Come out and fight, bitch" and "Summon the bitches!"

loving love this game.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

So do they ever tell you what the gently caress about the quest to trick the hym that haunted Udalryk? I threw a god drat baby into an oven and no one's said a thing as to how that wasn't real.

Cerys cut a hole in the back of the oven and the seer was waiting in the room behind to pull the baby out as soon as you threw it in. They didn't actually remodel the room to demonstrate this though, just locked the door so you can't go in and check

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

You're a bit dumb. I don't think people saw "This game has bright nights" as much of a criticism.
Hell, it's brighter outside here during the nights in the summer.

I don't get why people think it's weird that the nights are not pitch black. North + summer
= bright as gently caress.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I live in the north and summer nights are uh, just as dark as winter nights. The only difference is that more hours of the day are light while at winter it's gonna start getting dark at like 3 pm

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I don't get why people think it's weird that the nights are not pitch black. North + summer

Plus I do vaguely remember people fussing about Geralt having cat eyes so he shouldn't be drinking all the time to see stuff at night and I think the devs said they'll do something about it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Anyone has a functional trainer for quick and easy experience ?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Krogort posted:

Just use cheatengine. Using it to gain experience takes like 5 minutes.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Yeah, sun rises at 04:15 in Oslo now, and the light starts coming over the horizon some time before that.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
It is really fun to unequip your swords and box absolutely everything to death. I need to find a way to prevent Geralt flinching when he hits a monster or a blocking opponent.

Punching things is cool as hell.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
It also takes place on a different planet so if it has a greater tilt than Earth does then you'll get longer days in the summer.

I think the best fight i've had in the game so far is boxing the champion of champions. It's like the one boxing match other than the 2 guys you fight at the docks where you can't just spam parry to get through it. It took me about 4 reloads but it was really satisfying to beat him when he was about 8 levels higher than me. I think signs just ruin the combat. Quen just gives you infinite get out of jail free cards since you can just kite until it recharges if you get hit, and from what i've seen of the other signs they're even more broken being able to stunlock enemies to death.

CJ fucked around with this message at 12:13 on May 29, 2015

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Hah, finally got the reward for doing the Hattori quest 10 levels too early, and the sword was so lovely I just sold it right back to him. Wasn't even worth much, under 100 crowns. They really should fix this and make it so that the sword will at least be somewhat better than the one you are currently using.

Zzulu posted:

I live in the north and summer nights are uh, just as dark as winter nights. The only difference is that more hours of the day are light while at winter it's gonna start getting dark at like 3 pm

Well, around midsummer you could say there are no nights at all, which is loving sweet.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

I tried to do that quest but I couldn't interact with anything. The prompt never appeared. Also have an issue with the weapon smith in Crach's castle where his talk prompt sometimes doesn't show up. :iiam:

From a couple pages ago but the blacksmith thing probably isn't a bug. I've seen a few vendors who won't talk to you if they're busy doing something. The first one I noticed was the smith in Blackbough--if he's hammering away on something, he'll ignore you until he's done.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
If poo poo is too bright or too dark you might have 'Borderless Window' set in the graphic options. If so it uses your desktop gamma which is usually one of two extremes - my game was insanely dark wherein you needed Cat when in a storm at night. Changed it to fullscreen (sometimes it might randomly change back after a crash?) which then enables the gamma option. Tweaking it darkens nights enough to still see but without ruining atmosphere, and makes exploring caves with torch/Cat essential which I believe is how it's 'meant to be played'. Also going into dense forest or Crookback Bog is eery as gently caress with correct gamma settings.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Low level Geralt without Quen is a lot of fun and would be perfect if dodge spamming was limited in some way. High level combat is always boring no matter what your build is. I hope a modder will make this possible somehow, but I still think CDPR hosed up the whole levelling thing. Still don't understand why you can reach level 60-70 when the strongest enemies can't get past 40, either.

Fortunately game owns enough to be interesting anyway.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Also the XP bug has been in since launch, there's a particular action at some point in the game that activates it but not sure what it is. I came up on mine around level 30 which is why I was baffled at it taking like 14 hours to go up 1 level but my first playthough I p much just stuck to story and treasure hunts. Have been doing all PoIs and Contracts on 2nd playthrough and haven't come across it yet, keeping an eye out though to see if it's a particular quest or level bracket that activates it.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Andrast posted:

Just use cheatengine. Using it to gain experience takes like 5 minutes.

Thanks, I ended up using this
http://cheatengine.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581792&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=3ebcd64f810e774f1c916e8ba12e75d2

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Greenplastic posted:

Yeah, sun rises at 04:15 in Oslo now, and the light starts coming over the horizon some time before that.

But is there wraiths??

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

But is there wraiths??

It's Norway, of course there are wraiths.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Krogort posted:

for trainers, I have an old version (1.02-1.03) but new one hopefully should work as well. Go to gamecopyworld.com and grab the The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt v1.02 - v1.04 +20 TRAINER. It works for my steam version. I didn't want to stop playing as I have time off work but won't soon so I just pop 1000 experience for every 7-8 secondary quests if I see I don't get experience (which is most of them now).

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

But is there wraiths??

http://imgur.com/gallery/NW302

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the Of Dairy and Darkness quest, I started cracking up when I read the names of the "giants of Tyromancy."

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
You can also just d/l CheatEngine and use it to set the amount of XP to next level to 0, then lock the value so every time you kill a monster you level. If you're questing just turn it on for the final boss or whatever, level up, then turn it off again. Just in case some peeps might be tempted by the other options like gold/skill points etc in Cheat Tables / Trainers and regret it later.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Nope, it's by design that you don't get XP for low level quests (a design choice I dislike when they could have figured out an alternate reward like reduced XP or mutagens or cards). The bug is affecting primary and secondary quests in your level range that should reward XP.

You still get XP from completing question mark stuff, so I've been using this as an opportunity to clean up some of the map.

Also it is NOT a bug introduced in 1.04, so rolling back will do nothing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Suppose the bug is simply a matter of doing a "grey" quest for the very first time and then locking every quest from there on to zero exp. You wouldn't get that in the very beginning since it takes 6 levels difference for a quest to grey out.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Eraflure posted:

Low level Geralt without Quen is a lot of fun and would be perfect if dodge spamming was limited in some way. High level combat is always boring no matter what your build is. I hope a modder will make this possible somehow, but I still think CDPR hosed up the whole levelling thing. Still don't understand why you can reach level 60-70 when the strongest enemies can't get past 40, either.

Fortunately game owns enough to be interesting anyway.

Y'know, I never thought I'd say this, but I wish there was some level scaling in this. Like, not throughout the whole game, but just for the main quests. Secondary quests, contracts, and the open world shouldn't scale to your level, but it'd be awesome if main quests did, because it's really easy to outlevel them just by doing some contracts and side quests along the way.

I'm probably going to have to turn the game up to Death March because now that I have a better handle on the dodge timing and have switched to an Alchemy build that makes me hit like a truck, even equal-level enemies are starting to feel easy.

As I recall, I had this same experience with The Witcher 2, though. It started out hair-pullingly hard and as soon as I learned how things worked (especially alchemy), it got easy overnight and stayed that way to the end. Maybe this is just a pattern with CDPR.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

But is there wraiths??

If I don't get my coffee in the morning you'd better get your Yrden ready :hb:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

New video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6VxXGPifbE
mostly location shots.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Well, I played 11 hours straight. Haven't done that with a new game in awhile. In fact, I think the last few games I've bought I have beaten in less time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CDPR should plunder Capcom's Dragon's Dogma team for Witcher 3 EE.