Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Blzut3 posted:

Keys will be available on the 18th. I believe The Kins was trying to say that the keys are not up yet, but will be later when it's released on Steam.

Does GOG still think the humble Noah is beneath them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

closeted republican posted:

True, but IIRC, only a small batch of one of the late 90s Doom rereleases actually had that patch installed. The rest of the Final Doom re-releases have been unpatched for some reason.

Only a selection of id anthology releases had it, alongside a fixed Plutonia WAD with added multilayer start points. The reason the Steam versions are unpatched is that the fixed versions break demo compatibility, IIRC.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So is there any easy way to patch it? I just patched the Hexen: DoDC to 1.1 yesterday since Steam version is 1.0 and thus has broken music. Thing is I had to use DosBox to run the dkpatch :rolleyes:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

So is there any easy way to patch it? I just patched the Hexen: DoDC to 1.1 yesterday since Steam version is 1.0 and thus has broken music. Thing is I had to use DosBox to run the dkpatch :rolleyes:

Try this, it's GUI based and also supports rolling back your WADs to any previous patch version.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Convex posted:

Try this, it's GUI based and also supports rolling back your WADs to any previous patch version.

Sadly that gives me Run-time error '53' File not found when selecting the TNT.WAD :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Have you unzipped all the files to the same directory? Also if you're on an older OS, have you installed the VB6 runtime?

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Convex posted:

Have you unzipped all the files to the same directory? Also if you're on an older OS, have you installed the VB6 runtime?

Yeah I put TNT.WAD in the same directory as the patcher. Also installed the VB6 Runtime from here and here
Still nothing. BTW I'm using 8.1 x64 if that's an issue somehow.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

laserghost posted:

BFG edition achievements are prettyy bad - finish episode, finish episode on uv, beat the time record etc. XBLA had at least the rip and tear, which was claimed for killing Cyberdemon with fist.

I got that achievement, and goddamn, was it tough. I don't even remember how, but it happened. The only achievements I'm missing are ones about playing online, but I'm not getting XBL Gold just for those. I'm (true) vanilla Doomed-out, I think. Though the controller was surprisingly great to use.

Also, Reelism needs more Catacomb stuff :allears:

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Al so, Reelism needs more Catacomb stuff :allears:

More Reelism in general imo

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
do the needful kins. I want mummies and cobra staves in my reelism

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Nokiaman posted:

Yeah I put TNT.WAD in the same directory as the patcher. Also installed the VB6 Runtime from here and here
Still nothing. BTW I'm using 8.1 x64 if that's an issue somehow.

Sorry, no idea in that case. Wonder if it's a Win 8 thing?

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Keiya posted:

Man how come S3DNA gets steam achievements, but not Doom? Even if they'd probably have to be dumb, like... RIP AND TEAR: Get a beserker pack. Shoot It Until It Dies: Kill a Cyberdemon. Things like that.

I've got a beta branch of Doom 2 on Steam that uses Chocolate Doom from last year, but I'm hoping to get some time to update some of the DOSBox based stuff in the next year. Integrating achievements and such are going to be mutually exclusive from using a GPL'd port, though, since you can't release the Steamworks SDK under the GPL. Given the amount of games there are to update, adding non-trivial achievements will be a lot of work for each and every game, anyway. Seems like time could be better spent elsewhere.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Convex posted:

Only a selection of id anthology releases had it, alongside a fixed Plutonia WAD with added multilayer start points. The reason the Steam versions are unpatched is that they didn't give a gently caress.

Fixed.

Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is also unpatched. What does the patch do? Enable MIDI music, that's all, none of the map data was changed. And the Steam releases don't have CD audio tracks, so enabling MIDI music is needed.

Another example of the carelessness with which the Steam releases were made is that the DOSBox readme.txt file overwrote the original games' readme.txt. You'd say "who cares?" (certainly not them) but if the file that had been coincidentally overwritten was, say, some DLL that is necessary for netplay or whatever, they also wouldn't have noticed the issue.

There's also the case of Spear of Destiny. It is packaged with two mission packs, but the engine was never created to support mission packs, so instead they have a small program that will overwrite the game data (.sod files) with copies of the episode (.sd1 for original game, .sd2 and .sd3 for mission packs). The guy who made the Steam package checked that each game worked when run, which is to say, he ran Spear of Destiny, quit, ran mission pack 1, quit, ran mission pack 2, quit, okay commit the pack. As a result of doing that, by default starting Spear of Destiny without choosing which episode first results in playing mission pack 2 instead of the original game. (This has been a problem with ECWolf.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Honestly, the best thing about having Doom/2 on Steam is constant, guaranteed access to the iWAD files for running through a source port of your choosing.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Unless you need them on a non-Windows computer.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

Yeah there are legal ways around that.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
When I bought Dark Forces off of steam I had to get an updated version of DOSbox myself because the one included doesn't actually run Dark Forces properly. Not a hard thing to do of course, but it does show how the hands-off approach Steam takes to old game releases definitely has some flaws.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Geight posted:

When I bought Dark Forces off of steam I had to get an updated version of DOSbox myself because the one included doesn't actually run Dark Forces properly. Not a hard thing to do of course, but it does show how the hands-off approach Steam takes to old game releases definitely has some flaws.

Just curious, did you know about this?

http://xlengine.com/

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

I've got a beta branch of Doom 2 on Steam that uses Chocolate Doom from last year, but I'm hoping to get some time to update some of the DOSBox based stuff in the next year. Integrating achievements and such are going to be mutually exclusive from using a GPL'd port, though, since you can't release the Steamworks SDK under the GPL. Given the amount of games there are to update, adding non-trivial achievements will be a lot of work for each and every game, anyway. Seems like time could be better spent elsewhere.

Any word on id/Zenimax/Bethesda stuff on GOG? I'm sure there's a conversation going between the biz guys of the companies, but if not, I can help make it happen.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Elliotw2 posted:

I got pulled into a Twitter convo a few days ago with a guy wanting to run Quake on OS X. Our goal was to get him set up with QuakeSpasm. So he just needed the pak files. He had a Quake CD and was also willing to buy Quake on Steam if that would help.

Oh my Gooooood what a painful back-and-forth. Admittedly Twitter isn't great for "tech support". But the process of telling him about how to get pak files, and then how to use them with QuakeSpasm, was epic. Although we are used to seeing it as this super-simple arrangement.

The guy was also sad/mad about Steam not supporting Quake for Mac. He was pretty ideological about releasing Mac ports for games. I mentioned that OS X hadn't even existed when Quake was released, and his general response was "yeah but still".

Which is funny from a technical standpoint, but more broadly I can sympathize. Although on the other hand what could id/Zenimax plausibly do... best would be probably just to make QuakeSpasm available thru Steam and bang there's your Mac/Linux and soundtrack support, but that opens new bags of worms.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Johnny Law posted:

The guy was also sad/mad about Steam not supporting Quake for Mac. He was pretty ideological about releasing Mac ports for games. I mentioned that OS X hadn't even existed when Quake was released, and his general response was "yeah but still".

Yeah, I know I post a lot about 'Is this out for Mac?' or 'Why isn't this OS X compatible?' here, but overall, I get it; poo poo was PC only, originally... any mac support is above and beyond what anyone needed to do, and I'm cool with that.

I'm just glad that the majority of source ports are cross-platform :allears:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

That engine is a cruel tease. Last I heard someone was trying to contact the author to get the source released so DarkXL could be freed from its eternal half-finished limbo but I'm not holding my breath.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Yeah, it's a hot mess that is less functional than just running Dark Forces through DOSbox. :sigh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yeah, I know I post a lot about 'Is this out for Mac?' or 'Why isn't this OS X compatible?' here, but overall, I get it; poo poo was PC only, originally... any mac support is above and beyond what anyone needed to do, and I'm cool with that.

I'm just glad that the majority of source ports are cross-platform :allears:

In general maybe, but Quake is a pretty poor example in that case. It was available on Mac as well as on PC, and the original PC version is as compatible with modern PC OSes as the original Mac version is with modern Mac OSes.

In both cases, you'll either want a source port of some kind (meaning the original OS is irrelevant) or you want an emulation layer (meaning the current OS is irrelevant). So what's available now compared to what it was available on back then is a non-argument no matter what. Not making Quake available for OSX has no reasonable excuse, and only one explanation: laziness.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Commander Keenan posted:

Any word on id/Zenimax/Bethesda stuff on GOG? I'm sure there's a conversation going between the biz guys of the companies, but if not, I can help make it happen.

No clue. I believe the Steam versions are already DRM free and don't require the Steam client to be running, but I don't know for sure. At least the D2 stuff I did seems to run indepndently.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Does GOG still think the humble Noah is beneath them?
I assume so, but the ball's in their court if they want it. I think it would be funny for people to tweet the Steam store link @GOGcom to ask why GOG doesn't have it. If they reply with something about the publisher needing to contact them, you can of course say "they did."

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I got that achievement, and goddamn, was it tough. I don't even remember how, but it happened.

Map32 has a berserk pack and at least one invincibility sphere. It wasn't that hard :shrug:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Elliotw2 posted:

As a Mac user, I just copied the wads to another folder so i can access them without needing steam. Its not a huge issue.

Though the controller was surprisingly great to use.

Yeah, one of my favorite things about BFG edition is the ability to use the controller natively for all those games. Plays really well.

spongeh posted:

Both the beta port and even the notion of adding achievements is cool to me. I'm such a loser.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Tippis posted:

In general maybe, but Quake is a pretty poor example in that case. It was available on Mac as well as on PC, and the original PC version is as compatible with modern PC OSes as the original Mac version is with modern Mac OSes.

This isn't entirely true. I can launch the original quake.exe and play the game just fine on my brand new Windows computer. The original Quake for Mac only works on a very specific slice of hardware, and it's impossible to play with a PowerMac of the era. Quake is better in a sourceport, but it's not like Doom where you have to use an emulation layer no matter what you're playing it on.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elliotw2 posted:

This isn't entirely true. I can launch the original quake.exe and play the game just fine on my brand new Windows computer. The original Quake for Mac only works on a very specific slice of hardware, and it's impossible to play with a PowerMac of the era. Quake is better in a sourceport, but it's not like Doom where you have to use an emulation layer no matter what you're playing it on.

Then you're not using the original quake.exe, since it was a spectacular DOS hack through and through, and requires direct hardware access to a level that modern OSes simply will not allow. Well, that, or your brand new Windows computer is runing Win95 and exiting to DOS when you run the game.

If you're talking about WinQuake, then maybe, but it is also not the original: it's a source port that just proves the point.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 29, 2015

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

spongeh posted:

I've got a beta branch of Doom 2 on Steam that uses Chocolate Doom from last year
wut...

Is there anything we can do to light a fire under someone's rear end to finally get the Steam Doom games off the horrible garbage DOSBox wrappers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

What's the red star on the chest for? Hell Sheriff?

Also, the face of the guy being eaten is great.
- See, I told you my guts were delicious and you didn't believe me! Now try the kidneys.
Getting back to this because I was on my phone before. You've never heard of Hellcop?

Highway to Hell is probably the best low budget movie I've ever seen, Waxwork is a close second. It stars Chad Lowe and Christy Swanson.

Also Ben Stiller:

Gilbert Gottfried:

And Lita Ford shows up for a a few minutes.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 29, 2015

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Linguica posted:

wut...

Is there anything we can do to light a fire under someone's rear end to finally get the Steam Doom games off the horrible garbage DOSBox wrappers?

It's something I've been pushing for a while: Chocolate/Crispy Doom, QuakeSpasm, whatever the wolf equivalent of Chocolate Doom is. Would like to make them available on OSX/Linux too. Quake Live is my main responsibility though, and unfortunately it's going to involve more approval than me just pushing out an update. I'd be the one doing the work for it though, in all likelyhood.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Why use Chocolate Doom and not Zandronum or GZDoom, out of curiosity? Are the latter just updated too often?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

Map32 has a berserk pack and at least one invincibility sphere. It wasn't that hard :shrug:

Motherfucker... I think I ended up killing him in Tricks and Traps (or whatever level starts you off with 8 big doors to open).

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Why use Chocolate Doom and not Zandronum or GZDoom, out of curiosity? Are the latter just updated too often?

Chocolate Doom is far more faithful to the original Doom exe than Zandronum or GZDoom.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

NuclearPotato posted:

Chocolate Doom is far more faithful to the original Doom exe than Zandronum or GZDoom.

In addition, the ZDoom family of ports are a bit of a licensing disaster, which unfortunately means they can't legally be part of a commercial product.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

G/Zdoom have a specific license that forbids selling of them, and they've got way way higher system requirements than Chocolate Doom.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

LORD OF BUTT posted:

NuclearPotato posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Motherfucker... I think I ended up killing him in Tricks and Traps (or whatever level starts you off with 8 big doors to open).
That's generally the one I've seen suggested as best for getting that achievement. Walk into the room with the Cyberdemon; let him fruitlessly try shooting you, pissing off the Barons of Hell inbetween you and him; walk out for a while until the Cyberdemon takes out all the Barons in that room, then come back; grab Invincibility; switch to fist; go to town. I'm pretty sure there's even a Berserk Pack in one of the rooms that you can use to expedite the last step.

I forget if the Cyberdemon will often die to the Barons or not, though.