Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
For those of you who actually do watch replays, I've got some. For those who don't, they should be on YT within a month or two, Insh'Allah.

I'm better at trolling nationalists than I am at carrying - 3.3k damage and top gun not enough to win in IS-3: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915179#arctic_region-rossmum-is-3

How to M48, 5.5k damage: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915177#mines-rossmum-m48a1_patton

Decided to dust off the Type 59 after largely ignoring it for the last few years, 3.6k, top gun, HC: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915180#live_oaks-rossmum-type_59

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, I just had an amazing thing happen. I had a jp-100 call me a one shot cocksucker after I put a shell into his back. Me? Oh, I was in a fv215b 183. :allears:

That same game earlier was hilarious because I got to a spot, and then sidescapped out. Then watched an enemy e-100 drive out to shoot our is-7 who was sidescrapping further ahead. Then you see the gun lift up to look at me and make for a full reverse and fired at me. Also, Hellsau is correct, never not snap shot. Earlier game to that one, I was on karelia and took out a 50b and a t34 while on the move in my 183. The 50b had taken a shot or two, while the t34 was one shot.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

RandomPauI posted:

Would it be better to just try to push forward with the high tier tanks and just accept there'll be a harsh learning curve or would it be better to focus on lower tiered tanks and get good at them before moving on? What are some other things I can do to get better?
Higher tiers are always better (speaking as a player who plays many tier 10s). Honestly though, it's a matter of opinion. Hellsau is excellent and rarely plays tier 10s outside of CW. Mesadoram is also excellent and plays tons of tier 10s. They're both right.

Tier 8 is in a very bad place right now since the elimination of Tier 12 battles (gently caress WG). You need a tank that has a chance against tier 10s to do well unless you get that rare unicorn tier 8 match, and there aren't many. (Hint: You can count them on like one hand, many tier 8s suck vs 10s). If you're not in one of those special tier 8s, you need to basically avoid the areas of the map that will be clogged with 10s and hope that your tier 10s don't gently caress you (Hint: They will).

As far as tier 9 goes, you need to look at their team composition very carefully and realize that the MM dictates your strategy. You have to know that if they have batchats and if you don't (or if they're awful pubbies) your options are limited unless you want to get clipped 60 seconds into the game. Especially on a map that has someplace to rush (eg. Mines, Himmelsdorf, etc). I'd say the most forgiving tier 9s on general principle are arty and TDs, simply because they only have to worry about whether or not their guns can pen a given tier 10.

Being in a decent tier 10 tank alleviates a lot of this, but it puts the onus not to fail directly back on you. You still need to be aware of what their team can do vs what your team can do, but a vast majority of the time you're going to have some lower tiers around to bully, assuming you're not in one of the lovely tier 10s (which I will leave for another discussion, I really hope you picked the right trees to grind).

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

frood fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 29, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

rossmum posted:

For those of you who actually do watch replays, I've got some. For those who don't, they should be on YT within a month or two, Insh'Allah.

I'm better at trolling nationalists than I am at carrying - 3.3k damage and top gun not enough to win in IS-3: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915179#arctic_region-rossmum-is-3

How to M48, 5.5k damage: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915177#mines-rossmum-m48a1_patton

Decided to dust off the Type 59 after largely ignoring it for the last few years, 3.6k, top gun, HC: http://wotreplays.com/site/1915180#live_oaks-rossmum-type_59

None of that poo poo featured me in our wins tonight, so I reckon you're Tony Abbot, oval office?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMdbVHPmCW0

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..

RandomPauI posted:

I'm making another try hard effort at tanks. For starters I've been paying more attention to my surroundings, asking for advice, and watching the tank guide youtubes by Quickbaby and Mighty Jingles. Recently I decided to platoon more.

Even though I'm doing more damage, surviving more, and getting more kills, my winrate for the month is plunging. I'd hate to stop grinding tiers 8 and 9 but those are where I see the most losses.

Would it be better to just try to push forward with the high tier tanks and just accept there'll be a harsh learning curve or would it be better to focus on lower tiered tanks and get good at them before moving on? What are some other things I can do to get better?

My advice would be to stick to one or two tanks at a time and focus through them. Whenever I try and grind out my doubles (or 3x or 5x) across a whole bunch of tanks I end up playing really bad. I've been grinding through the Tiger II and skilling up my 8.8 Jgtiger and they've both completely destroyed my ability to play lights and mediums. The flip side of that is the Tiger II has taught me all the little tricks and spots on the map to protect my lower front plate which means I'm bouncing all the shots in my 8.8Jgtiger now. Just had a game earlier where I bounced 6k damage on Sacred Valley while clicking red tanks every few seconds and making all the money.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

RandomPauI posted:

It literally does not matter.

Every tier is the same except for tier 10, which is a whole different game, for whatever reason.

Just do what you do. WR goes in streaks. All you can do is hit the bricks and try your best.

Oh and for God's sake don't ask for advice from anybody but goons. And only about 1/2 of them. For gently caress's sake don't ask me for advice. Just platoon with me. I play better than I advise. There are WAAAAY too any good players here - it's not really a representative sample.

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 29, 2015

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

KaiserSchnitzel posted:

Oh and for God's sake don't ask for advice from anybody but goons. And only about 1/2 of them.

Basically, don't listen to amerigoons. They are the scum of the earth. The eurogoons (and all other breeds of goon) are also the scum of the earth.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
Thanks for that

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Says the guy who doesn't like the Churchy 3.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon

Missing Name posted:

Says the guy who doesn't like the Churchy 3.

you shouldn't listen to me tho. im the scum of the earth too

srb
Jul 24, 2007
KV-220 for "free" with the purchase of a 52 USD IS-6 this weekend on NA.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That's a drat fine deal.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I'm making another try hard effort at tanks. For starters I've been paying more attention to my surroundings, asking for advice, and watching the tank guide youtubes by Quickbaby and Mighty Jingles. Recently I decided to platoon more.

Even though I'm doing more damage, surviving more, and getting more kills, my winrate for the month is plunging. I'd hate to stop grinding tiers 8 and 9 but those are where I see the most losses.

Assuming you don't have poo poo connection or poo poo fps* you need to watch top end players who stream or platoon with better players** who can give you some brutal honesty.

Each map has several plays you can pursue depending on the other teams composition and distribution. Knowing one or two plays is going to make you a solid player. Knowing them all and when to play them is going to make you a purple.

*if you can't play on the same playing field as everyone else, just give up trying to be good at this game.

**better does not mean blueberry rerolls who are probably light greens with planned tank selection and constant platooning. Go for people who have a lot of games and good stats.

On another note: I only joined PINGU to watch hellsau destroy clans.

JohnGalt fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 29, 2015

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011
If you aren't using illegal mods you aren't truly enjoying world of tanks. It just makes you laugh even more when people call you a warpacker or hacker.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Southern Dandy posted:

MacDiesel was a piece of dogshit.

gently caress MacDiesel.

James Garfield posted:

CRABS was amazing and like the one part of playing tanks I don't regret. That one night where their (goon free) "a-team" lost to PUPEH and melted down about 1400 wn8 goons losing them fights :allears:
It was wonderful how the leadership dudes projected their failures onto the random post-campaign recruits who actually won most of their games.

See previous statement.

Hellsau posted:

Surprisingly enough the lovely leadership from CRABS are still making GBS threads up -G- apparently. rip doggtown

One of the Capo in CRABS was a friend of mine, he said the leadership would always poo poo talk the goons in the clan. Bunch of scumbags.

In other news: Moved into a new apartment, their router is upstairs. I get nasty loving lag spikes while playing. Anyone have any advice besides hardwire? Currently my antenna to my wireless card is sitting on top of a police issued flash light, on an empty Card Against Humanity™ box, on a cologne box, on an art history textbook on top of my desk. It helped a little but it looks super retarded.

In other other news: I played like poo poo last night, I feel like I DISHONERED MY CLANS GREAT NAME. Was in a T8 game in my Bulldog and did 2k damage, closest person to me was a T6 that did 700 damage. Rinse and repeat that bullshit through out the night. My winrate has been taking a nose dive lately :smith:

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Anybody got a link a working 9.8 red dot arty mod? That mission is a whore.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Atomizer posted:

Some days are like that. I've been having great sessions recently but the last time I played we were getting bottom-tiered 3 matches in a row. Then one top-tier game, followed by 3 more bottom-tier.

The KV-1S is arguably better than the KV-1 if you prefer mobility (which I do.) The T-34's gun is a peashooter, but at least it's accurate and has high-pen APCR (I hope you're using the 57 mm.) The M4 is OK with either the 105 or 76; the latter is a particularly mediocre 3" gun but it's usable on a tier 5 vehicle (and has decent APCR as well.) All of the tanks mentioned are solid-to-great for tier 5.

For my T-34 I am using the higher pen, higher damage gun with slower reload/aim and less accuracy since this tank seems to do better at modest ranges using hard cover (as opposed to my M4 where I try to engage on the run or at extreme ranges). I did reliably okay with the 57 but fewer breakout 1000+ damage games like the bigger gun (I think it is a 76?). I take it I should just go back to that and see what works. It certainly is worth mentioning my T-34 crew is in the low 90s still.

Good news is my win rate without platooning is still steadily climbing from 50 to just about 52%, but I seem to be bottom tiered 75% of the time so I am doing far better in my fast tanks. I am doing more on the awareness front like you suggested and it is payying dividends. I think trying to play all my tanks a little every night is hurting me a bit so I might focus on one or two tanks at least for a little bit. Maybe just do mediums for a while. Is it just that the player base is concentrated around tier VII.

Also, in other news I have almost unlocked the KV-85, should I go that route or the T-150 which I have researched already?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Blindeye posted:

Also, in other news I have almost unlocked the KV-85, should I go that route or the T-150 which I have researched already?

IS-7 route is considered the "easier" grind. The IS is pretty amazing, the IS-3 is one of the best T8s in the game, IS-8 gets hated on a lot but is still good and the IS-7 is Fantastic. I loved the IS-4 Tree, but it is a different and awkward tree that has more low points than high.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Going to the IS-8 and getting the M-62 unlocked will greatly alleviate the stock symptom of the ST-I, unless you really feel like being a slow T9 heavy with a D-25.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Also the IS-4 is just bad and the line needs modules from other tanks pretty severely. Play the KV-2 with the 152mm to unlock the 107mm for the T-150, get the guns for the ST-I on the IS-8, etc.

Seriously they really do not want the IS-4 to have good frontal armor.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

srb posted:

Going to the IS-8 and getting the M-62 unlocked will greatly alleviate the stock symptom of the ST-I, unless you really feel like being a slow T9 heavy with a D-25.

I went up the IS-4 Tree first. Don't make my mistake. Playing the IS-4 and ST-I with the stock guns is like pulling your own teeth out with a spoon.

Hellsau posted:

Seriously they really do not want the IS-4 to have good frontal armor.

If the front of the IS-4 was even just slightly harder to pen it would make it so amazing.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Blindeye posted:

If you're favoring faster tanks, definitely go with the KV-85. It leads to better tanks, too, although the other line also has some very good tanks.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The number one thing that helped me improve quickly is when I would die I would take 15 seconds to reflect on what decisions I made that ended up with me dead and how I could make better decisions.

Second thing was just to go on google and for a lot of the popular tanks you face in whatever tier type "WoT TANKNAME Armor Scheme" and just look at some pictures of the tanks armor layouts and weakspots.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Refried Noodle posted:

Anybody got a link a working 9.8 red dot arty mod? That mission is a whore.

You should go ask these sorts of things in the goon channel passwords thread instead

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Uranium 235 posted:

If you're favoring faster tanks, definitely go with the KV-85. It leads to better tanks, too, although the other line also has some very good tanks.

A hull down ST-I is a scary Scary thing. The top gun on it is super nice and its armor is a tough nut to crack (especially hull down).

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

Also the IS-4 is just bad and the line needs modules from other tanks pretty severely.

It's really a goddamn shame what they did to the IS-4. When it was tier 9 it was the equal of the E-75.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

It's really a goddamn shame what they did to the IS-4. When it was tier 9 it was the equal of the E-75.

It isn't the equal of the E-75 as a tier ten so that's pretty sad. Poor thing.

Jack_tripper
Jun 7, 2009

Azhais posted:

You should go ask these sorts of things in the goon channel passwords thread instead

yes cheating is fine but discussing it in the open is such poor form

Hellsau posted:

russian bias strikes again

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
ST-I is pretty beastmode once elited. Pretty sluggish but great turret, hull profile not too large and reasonable armor. Sadly, terrible gun handling.

Anyway, I keep wanting to come back but then I remember how many tier8 tanks I have that I love but just get shat on by tier10s. Welp.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Hellsau posted:

So I made the right decision going from the IS-3 to the bad IS-3 en route to the IS-7?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Azhais posted:

So I made the right decision going from the IS-3 to the bad IS-3 en route to the IS-7?

IS-3 and IS-7 are never bad decisions.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Jack_tripper posted:

yes cheating is fine but discussing it in the open is such poor form

Reminder that this mod is perfectly legal on EU. I'll ask in the password PGS thread.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

how the gently caress do you do badly in the is-4? just show your side at 45 degrees and everybody will shoot it and never ever pen

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

I notice you have forgotten how "fun" it was to face a tier9 IS-4 as a tier6 tank.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

DonkeyHotay posted:

how the gently caress do you do badly in the is-4? just show your side at 45 degrees and everybody will shoot it and never ever pen

Side armor is quite nice and the tracks do absorb a lot. It is a nice tank to sideacape in.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

DonkeyHotay posted:

yeah this. I'm bad at the IS-7 but the IS-4 is just go to a corner, turn sideways and shoot things. I find it more reliable to use than the IS-7 in terms of gun and armor layout in any situation except where you can get the IS-7 hulldown.

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

Cardiac posted:

I notice you have forgotten how "fun" it was to face a tier9 IS-4 as a tier6 tank.

My brain remembers the good times, not the bad times.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

My brain remembers the good times, not the bad times.

Me back in the day: "Oh, an IS-4. I am just going to go the other direction now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
t-34 platoons of death 4ever