Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

LastInLine posted:

i unironically think this every time ive seen one out in the world (twice in five years) or hear of someone who had one

the one time my wife saw one irl she actually laughed out loud because "who the gently caress would want windows on a telephone? no one wants windows anywhere!" which i cant argue with

in my coworker's defense the hardware was really nice and if you're led down the garden path by a salesman it's really easy to be duped if you're not a 'computer guy'

he still paid full price for an iphone after a year though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Necc0 posted:

in my coworker's defense the hardware was really nice and if you're led down the garden path by a salesman it's really easy to be duped if you're not a 'computer guy'

he still paid full price for an iphone after a year though

the one she saw was on a flight from bru to jfk so i just chalked it up to europeans being weird as the guy who the windows phone was traveling with had a blackberry z10

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
ugh, android and iOS are both too main stream

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
uh i owned a performa in the 90s so ofc im choosing lumia in the 2010s

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:
it's friday night and a friend of a friend was staying in all night trying to fix his windows box. eventually we dropped by his house to help him

he had to flatten and reinstall 3 times, because it became unusable every time he upgraded to 8.1

it was my first time seeing 8.0 in ages, so I was totally fascinated by the mix of antiquated behavior and terrible design decisions, and told him his os was a pos. his reply: "you use a mac, don't you"
this forum has made me into a total rear end in a top hat

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nagato posted:

it's friday night and a friend of a friend was staying in all night trying to fix his windows box. eventually we dropped by his house to help him

he had to flatten and reinstall 3 times, because it became unusable every time he upgraded to 8.1

it was my first time seeing 8.0 in ages, so I was totally fascinated by the mix of antiquated behavior and terrible design decisions, and told him his os was a pos. his reply: "you use a mac, don't you"

you might be an rear end in a top hat but he's the learned helplessness and/or battered wife syndrome sufferer at the hands of the terrible choice to run a terrible os

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

every oem 8.1 machine has embedded keys now. OEM is also the only comparison that really matters because

what dumb situation would you be in where you had 100 windows laptops to manage but no volume license

did you write a program to make that gif or use a site

tia

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Share Bear posted:

did you write a program to make that gif or use a site
behold the magical reality-shaping power of a (yolo) wizard

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

what dumb situation would you be in where you had 100 windows laptops to manage but no volume license

you'd be surprised. 100 workstations isn't quite at the level where the added costs of the os volume license (which still require you to have a pro-tier oem sticker on the case so you pay for the license twice) is worth the lower support requirements for many organizations, unless they are a non-profit, or need an older version of windows or some feature which is only available in the enterprise windows sku's, at least not if they hit 100 workstations slowly as a result of expansion without doing a full do-over of their infrastructure

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ms can eat a huge bag of dicks for not letting you add software assurance to a pro-level oem license.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

pram posted:

imagine being dumb enough to actually buy a windows phone. the thought just brings a smile to my face, knowing the person who did that must be an unprecedented moron

:smith:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
one of the hottest women ive ever known had a windows phone she was an aspiring actress and she was insanely hot and i enjoyed leering at her but she moved back home to like whereever her homeland was sometime last year rip :qq:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Smythe posted:

one of the hottest women ive ever known had a windows phone she was an aspiring actress and she was insanely hot and i enjoyed leering at her but she moved back home to like whereever her homeland was sometime last year rip :qq:

yeah she says hi :tipshat:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanks Ants posted:

ms can eat a huge bag of dicks for not letting you add software assurance to a pro-level oem license.

they do, but you have to subscribe to their lovely intune management software (you can get intune + software assurance for $11/user/month vs $6/user/month for just intune)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Nagato posted:

shitposters are not born, they are made

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Outlook for iOS is nice. I can just throw my work email in there so I don't have work calendar stuff making GBS threads up my phone.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Outlook for iOS is nice. I can just throw my work email in there so I don't have work calendar stuff making GBS threads up my phone.

is it supporting exchange policies now?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

dude what the gently caress is your work anything doing on your private phone

get that poo poo off

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
using the latest leaked build, got about 6 weeks before RTM so they really must be putting the polish on thi-

yeah those icons are the left are what happen when you drag the This PC and Network flat icons over to the desktop

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2015/05/27/microsoft-has-hijacked-android-in-a-hostile-takeover/

After a decade & half of withdrawing into itself under legal onslaught, MS is finally producing software again for widely-used platforms that it didn't create. Right on cue, we see the return of the hack journalist who lures in readers with wild "embrace and extinguish" doomsday scenarios that, over time, provide the ideological basis for antitrust lawsuits. Back then it was "Bill's toll gate on the information highway" and now it's "hijacking Android from the inside".

I forgive Ballmer for evertying because I see now that he was just trying to chart the middle course between shareholders who wanted a return and company lawyers who just wanted all the antitrust bullshit to go away

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 29, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Gazpacho posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybradley/2015/05/27/microsoft-has-hijacked-android-in-a-hostile-takeover/

After a decade & half of withdrawing into itself under legal onslaught, MS is finally producing software again for widely-used platforms that it didn't create. Right on cue, we see the return of the hack journalist who lures in readers with wild "embrace and extinguish" doomsday scenarios that, over time, provide the ideological basis for antitrust lawsuits. Back then it was "Bill's toll gate on the information highway" and now it's "hijacking Android from the inside".

I forgive Ballmer for evertying because I see now that he was just trying to chart the middle course between shareholders who wanted a return and company lawyers who just wanted all the antitrust bullshit to go away

hmm yes avoiding antitrust litigation was totally the reason why he set up some internal Lord of the Flies hellscape and turned their flagship OS product into a directionless dumpster fire

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mr Dog posted:

hmm yes avoiding antitrust litigation was totally the reason why he set up some internal Lord of the Flies hellscape and turned their flagship OS product into a directionless dumpster fire
yes

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

using the latest leaked build, got about 6 weeks before RTM so they really must be putting the polish on thi-

yeah those icons are the left are what happen when you drag the This PC and Network flat icons over to the desktop

i like the icons.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

i like the icons.

after the previous build a solid turd looks better than a runny dump, yes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

those icons look like what youd scroll past while looking at kaleidoscope themes in 1998

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i like the icons.

same

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

dude what the gently caress is your work anything doing on your private phone

get that poo poo off

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
:c00l: Hey these authetically digital icons look really slick. Nice design and very aesthetically pleasing.

:btroll: FAIL! GAY ICON! THEY SUCK

:c00l: They're a perfect blend of the Windows we've all grown up with, and a modern styling that really catches eye and feels natural in 2015.

:btroll: IDE RATHER TAKE A BIG FAT DIAHREA DUMP ON THOSE ICONS! I LOVE BURRITOS FILLED WITH LARD

:c00l: I'm a professional designer and also semipro disc golf athlete.

:btroll: *pisses pants, EBT card calls out of wallet along with erectile dysfunction pills*

:c00l: :yikes:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Snapchat A Titty posted:

those icons look like what youd scroll past while looking at kaleidoscope themes in 1998

remember like 1995 to 1999 when everything had 256-color prerendered 3D skewawhatsit interfaces

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

:c00l: Hey these authetically digital icons look really slick. Nice design and very aesthetically pleasing.

:btroll: FAIL! GAY ICON! THEY SUCK

:c00l: They're a perfect blend of the Windows we've all grown up with, and a modern styling that really catches eye and feels natural in 2015.

:btroll: IDE RATHER TAKE A BIG FAT DIAHREA DUMP ON THOSE ICONS! I LOVE BURRITOS FILLED WITH LARD

:c00l: I'm a professional designer and also semipro disc golf athlete.

:btroll: *pisses pants, EBT card calls out of wallet along with erectile dysfunction pills*

:c00l: :yikes:

this guy gets it.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

i like the icons.
they certainly look better than before

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
someone repost the first preview icons

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Luigi Thirty posted:

remember like 1995 to 1999 when everything had 256-color prerendered 3D skewawhatsit interfaces
needs more colorful veined marble or perhaps sandstone

ooh, or diamond-patterned steel plate

there now its 90s as fukk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

semipro disc golf athlete.
tell me more smythe

DOG AT THE DOOR
Aug 29, 2007

bwha

Mr Dog posted:

no the dumpster has direction, it's going downhill

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

there's still a lot of rough edges and would feel better if the RTM was Aug/Sept but frankly on a desktop the latest build is still way better than win8

yeah set your goals short and all, but still

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unfortunately the ui is still an unmitigated tire fire of conflicting styles and designs in the latest build.

so the icons are definitely better but the rest of it is looking like it's going to ride on into production

also the icons are facing the wrong way. who decided to flip everything after 20 years of them being correct?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

infernal machines posted:

unfortunately the ui is still an unmitigated tire fire of conflicting styles and designs in the latest build.

so the icons are definitely better but the rest of it is looking like it's going to ride on into production

also the icons are facing the wrong way. who decided to flip everything after 20 years of them being correct?

an executive who needed to justify his bonus

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i tested out a lumia 830 today for the hell of it

they hosed up w8 phone os so badly that it took me, a person who used winpho7 and 7.5 for two years, four tries to find the loving mail application on the clusterfuck of a "start" screen

search for "mail", nope. search for "outlook", nope. look under "office", nope, just mail attachments

turns out it's called "exchange" if you have an activesync account set up, complete with a new office-style "E" on folded paper icon that's never been seen anywhere else ever. you know, because everyone using windows be checking "exchange" for their mail every day.

how do you gently caress this up this goddamn badly? you own all the loving brands, just keep them even remotely consistent between your n-screen convergence devices for fucks sake.

and the phone is a clunky piece of poo poo even compared to the hugephone 6

The account was named exchange by default since you didn't change it. That's why it says exchange, it's an exchange account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Partycat posted:

The account was named exchange by default since you didn't change it. That's why it says exchange, it's an exchange account.

i didn't create it, it's a store demo, in a microsoft store

and regardless of what you name it, it a) has an office-style icon that exists only for the exchange server 2013 product, and b) doesn't come up when you search for the most obvious thing, "email"

so iguess if my intention was to launch microsoft exchange server on my phone it might make some kind of coherent sense, but no consumer has ever or will ever see that icon anywhere else

it is bad design.

• Locked thread