Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

CVagts posted:

That might be it. These are mostly all old quests that I've been doing.

I just did a contract quest and got EXP, but I'm pretty sure I've had this quest since before 1.04.

Except that the bug (whatever it is, no one seems to know) has existed in the game since release, according to the devs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If I understand what someone told me of the books once science just happens to be surprisingly advanced in the fields of microbiology and whatnot, but that a lot of other technological fields are underdeveloped. Add in that most researchers are mages and mages are persecuted quite often and it sort of makes sense the world's development is as it is.

But then the series also seems to have a sci-fi undercurrent to it even though it's not as blatant as a Might & Magic style "actually these ruins are a spaceship" thing going on. It's like magi-fi where people can travel the stars and visit other worlds but through magical means, though the magic operates according to semi-scientific principles.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Just to warn some people, I was trying to finish up my Gwent collection in the post game and found some random shops and such had disappeared. Not sure at what point this happened but there's not even a marker on my map or anything of where the shop is supposed to be according to the interactive map. There aren't any persons in distress in the area so I don't think that's the problem. It's the vendor in Claywich that's not showing up in my post game if anyone can shed more advice on why they might not be there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Autonomous Monster posted:

No, you can absolutely use oils in combat. I've done it mid-swing before.

The tooltip that comes up everytime I try when I think I'm out of combat says otherwise. :shrug:

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Scandalous posted:

I read on the CD Projekt forums that it may relate to when you picked the quest up. Quests that were already in your log prior to 1.04 will still award XP, but quests you pick up afterwards may not. I can't vouch for the accuracy of this myself, I forget when I picked up many of the quests I've completed since the patch was introduced and didn't take specific note of the XP rewards, besides the fact I was rarely receiving any.

This seems pretty plausible. CDPR has stated however that it's not tied to 1.04. Here's my theory (soon to be tested): swap out "patching to 1.04" with "completing your first grey quest"

People seem to report it's tied to completing your first grey quest and making subsequent quests/contracts no longer reward XP. I was roughly around level 13 when I started the Novigrad quests and gained one or two levels before hearing about the bug and noticing I wasn't gaining XP. I also remember that's when quests started becoming grey to me, and I definitely completed several of those. I can check my log when I get home, but I'm pretty certain that the quest log retains the quest category (red, green, grey) at the time of completion.

I've since completed EXISTING green/red Witcher contracts and gotten XP, completed grey quests and received no (or very little) XP, and received a NEW green quests and received zero xp upon it's completion.

TLDR:

Bug triggers after you complete your first grey quest
All subsequently collected quests give no XP
Quests that are green (or red) that you had attained, but not completed, before the bug triggering will still provide XP

I still have not done the Skellige travel quest, which IIRC is a main quest you receive once you get to Velen. If my theory is right then I should be able complete that quest, and provided it normally rewards XP, see some XP when complete.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Romance and sex in this game is considerably better than most RPGs.

Now granted it has an advantage in that these relationships have a long history, so the romance feels more real and authentic. But even still I think they deserve credit for creating romantic relationships that don't make you cringe.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Update on my part: I just accidently stumbled upon a witcher contract (level 23 - I'm 16) while roaming the countryside. I took down a royal wyvern, burninated the f*k out of him but it's great that you can do the quest this way too. I DID get exp from this quest, it was "red" for me. I did not have it before.

Funny thing about this quest was that the quest giver wanted proof and Geralt said to wait for those two guys in the cave to return. Meanwhile Roach is hanging back there with THE HUGE WYVERN HEAD HANGING FROM THE SADDLE. Why don't you show that to the village elder or whatever?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Now granted it has an advantage in that these relationships have a long history, so the romance feels more real and authentic. But even still I think they deserve credit for creating romantic relationships that don't make you cringe.
Awkward Encounters With The Ex(es) Simulator

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Am I putting myself at a severe disadvantage by ignoring Axii completely. I don't think mind control is ethical

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Anti-Hero posted:

TLDR:

Bug triggers after you complete your first grey quest
All subsequently collected quests give no XP
Quests that are green (or red) that you had attained, but not completed, before the bug triggering will still provide XP

I still have not done the Skellige travel quest, which IIRC is a main quest you receive once you get to Velen. If my theory is right then I should be able complete that quest, and provided it normally rewards XP, see some XP when complete.

I'm still not convinced. I definitely completed a bunch of grey quests before heading to Skellige, and I got full exp rewards for any new quests I picked up there.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still not convinced. I definitely completed a bunch of grey quests before heading to Skellige, and I got full exp rewards for any new quests I picked up there.

I'm willing to bet the load screen reset whatever state causes the bug. Same as when Geralt refuses to grip ledges or calling Roach no longer works.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

Am I putting myself at a severe disadvantage by ignoring Axii completely. I don't think mind control is ethical

Don't think so, it just allows you to get out of situations without fighting or paying up some gold sometimes. Though it's not always helpful, witch hunters are wise to your Witcher mind tricks and using it around them doesn't end well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm willing to bet the load screen reset whatever state causes the bug. Same as when Geralt refuses to grip ledges or calling Roach no longer works.
Loading screens does not reset the ledge grip bug. Trust me, I tried everything when I had that.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I actually fast traveled to Vizima last night and that didn't clear up the XP bug for me.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

theblackw0lf posted:

Romance and sex in this game is considerably better than most RPGs.

Well yeah, its not a vending machine sort of deal like the BioWare games, or incredibly random like other games.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Loading screens does not reset the ledge grip bug. Trust me, I tried everything when I had that.

Bugs inconsistent as are their solutions, reloading got rid of that bug for me particularly when I really needed it. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Nakar posted:

If I understand what someone told me of the books once science just happens to be surprisingly advanced in the fields of microbiology and whatnot, but that a lot of other technological fields are underdeveloped. Add in that most researchers are mages and mages are persecuted quite often and it sort of makes sense the world's development is as it is.

But then the series also seems to have a sci-fi undercurrent to it even though it's not as blatant as a Might & Magic style "actually these ruins are a spaceship" thing going on. It's like magi-fi where people can travel the stars and visit other worlds but through magical means, though the magic operates according to semi-scientific principles.

There's actually also a pretty fun fan-theory that the world Witcher takes place on is the product of interstellar colonisation in our far future. Elves would be the primary colonists as a more highly evolved form of humans, while the dwarves are a genetically engineered worker caste. Then the conjunction happened and farted some original humans onto the stage through time and space. The theory is only barely supported by any actual text (mostly some creation myths talking about the elves arriving on the continent in ships of some sort, the idea that apparently the Witcher planet exists in the same universe as Earth, and the relatively advanced knowledge of mutations and evolution), but it's a pretty fun approach nonetheless. I can't seem to find an original detailed version of that theory anywhere anymore, though.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

net cafe scandal posted:

A little. Axii allows you to straight up ignore human opponents levels. If you have pumped up the skill associated with it you can stun a human opponent and attack them with a high chance of instant death.

It also allowed me to bypass the quest where I had to find the Pellar's goat and lead it with the bell. Hit it with Alt Axii and it never stopped following me.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Quorum posted:

One of the solutions is pretty obvious and results from following the quest directions. If you actually pay attention when the game tells you to find the key, and then go ask the witness why he lied, you get the solution without much fuss. The secondary solution, though, where you feed him his own meat, is pretty unintuitive. The curse solution is hinted at when Geralt offers him the meat of his own free will, and when he drops werewolf meat the first time, but actually putting it together requires guessing, and the fact that he tried eating his own meat really throws you off. Most people I know who got that solution did so by trial and error.

Regarding the second solution: If you explore one of the buildings you find his severed leg attached to a manacle and he talks about how some dudes locked him up and he bit through his own leg to escape but his own flesh just touching his mouth burned the poo poo outta him like literal fire in his mouth. Theres an intuitive leap to make from there, especially considering theres a prompt to feed him inventory items.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Eraflure posted:

The Witcher 3 : Rare Gwent Cards Hunt

So, are any cards found in random peoples homes or in dead logs or anything? Or can you only win them or buy them off vendors?

If you're not playing Gwent, you're missing such a fun part of the game. It's so awesome, I LOVE PLAYING THIS.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 29, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Levantine posted:

A little. Axii allows you to straight up ignore human opponents levels. If you have pumped up the skill associated with it you can stun a human opponent and attack them with a high chance of instant death.

Would a high level Aard have a similar effect.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I hope the expansions take your level into account. Act 2 of the story has skyrocketed my level up by nearly 10 now. :ohdear:

Perestroika posted:

There's actually also a pretty fun fan-theory that the world Witcher takes place on is the product of interstellar colonisation in our far future. Elves would be the primary colonists as a more highly evolved form of humans, while the dwarves are a genetically engineered worker caste. Then the conjunction happened and farted some original humans onto the stage through time and space. The theory is only barely supported by any actual text (mostly some creation myths talking about the elves arriving on the continent in ships of some sort, the idea that apparently the Witcher planet exists in the same universe as Earth, and the relatively advanced knowledge of mutations and evolution), but it's a pretty fun approach nonetheless. I can't seem to find an original detailed version of that theory anywhere anymore, though.

I remember the books mentioning that humans came to the world of The Witcher on metal ships. I'd always thought the same as this theory, that people from our time or past came through the portal to this world during the Conjunction.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Perestroika posted:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I remember the books mentioning that humans came to the world of The Witcher on metal ships. I'd always thought the same as this theory, that people from our time or past came through the portal to this world during the Conjunction.

There are at least a few references in The Witcher 3's dialog alone to real-world fairy tales like Cinderella (referenced as a fairy tale, not a real thing). I'm inclined to believe this theory, myself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I hope the expansions take your level into account. Act 2 of the story has skyrocketed my level up by nearly 10 now. :ohdear:

I actually wish main story quests scaled up to your level. Side quests and the open world probably shouldn't, but I'd love it if I couldn't outlevel and trivialize the main story just by doing too many side quests while I'm still the appropriate level for those side quests.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...
I found the drunken barber in Novigrad (by the Oxenfurt gate, near the Nowhere Inn) and he and Geralt got into an argy-bargy about not getting the look Geralt wanted... except it was (trimmed beard). :confused: I tried all the other beard options and they all came out normal too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Harrow posted:

There are at least a few references in The Witcher 3's dialog alone to real-world fairy tales like Cinderella (referenced as a fairy tale, not a real thing). I'm inclined to believe this theory, myself.

Wasn't the whole Cinderella quote about how Geralt told how the story is nothing like the reality, where a monster ate the princess and only thing left was one shoe

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finished the game and it's easily one of the best aside from some annoyances people have already stated. I was a full alchemy build and I was unkillable thanks to taking all the drugs. I wish I knew beforehand how loving amazing cluster bombs combined with increased bomb capacity is and I highly recommend it to anyone doing an alchemy build.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

net cafe scandal posted:

I don't know. In my experience Aard knockdowns don't last very long, but I haven't experimented with it as much.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I wrong for spotting a reference to Cyberpunk 2077 when Ciri says "I traveled to a world where people had metal in their heads and they fought without swords but with ranged weapons" on Isle of Mist

Or am I just reading too much into that given the context?

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

If they dont have shields or heavy weapons and you have a good amount of +sign intensity, yes. You can knock them down and stab them on the floor. This also trivializes drowners, water hags, and foglets (you can hit them through the fog with Aard).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Psiharis posted:

I found the drunken barber in Novigrad (by the Oxenfurt gate, near the Nowhere Inn) and he and Geralt got into an argy-bargy about not getting the look Geralt wanted... except it was (trimmed beard). :confused: I tried all the other beard options and they all came out normal too.

Funny thing about this barber is how the NPC's start commenting your haircut after you leave. They say stuff like "Have you looked at your hair lately?" I had to go to a proper barber after that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The sad thing about Gwent if you want to run a deck other than Northern Realms then by the time you've got something competitive theres not really anyone left to play.

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The sad thing about Gwent if you want to run a deck other than Northern Realms then by the time you've got something competitive theres not really anyone left to play.

yup

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The tooltip that comes up everytime I try when I think I'm out of combat says otherwise. :shrug:

How are you applying them? Click and drag is how I'm doing it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will admit I have been playing this on and off alongside other games. I still haven't gotten the flow of combat, but my main question is, how long do I have to ride with this Griffin head on my horse? I've already searched the Bloody Baron's house...

[Ed]
And while I'm asking questions, I know the developer has been really good about post release support… Have they mentioned anything about improving controls or animation stutter?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 29, 2015

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Symetrique posted:

If they dont have shields or heavy weapons and you have a good amount of +sign intensity, yes. You can knock them down and stab them on the floor. This also trivializes drowners, water hags, and foglets (you can hit them through the fog with Aard).

Good, I loving hate drowners.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Harrow posted:

Blood and Broken Bones. I might even turn it up to Death March because I'm killing things too easily and I'm already really durable. When I start unlocking the Alchemy abilities that boost my max Vitality for a whole lot of other reasons, I'll be even harder to actually kill. Let's not even bring up things like Ekhidna Decoction (restore Vitality every time you spend Stamina--yes, every time) mixed with Archgriffin Decoction (spend all your Stamina every time you do a heavy attack and deal 10% of the enemy's max health on top of your normal damage).

Awesome, thanks man. :)

I've always been far more in love with the idea of Geralt's strength coming from his wits and equipment more than his ability to stab poo poo. A breadth of experience rather than innately superhuman abilities - drugs and bombs and traps don't give him the advantage so much as take away everyone else's.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Feenix posted:

I will admit I have been playing this on and off alongside other games. I still haven't gotten the flow of combat, but my main question is, how long do I have to ride with this Griffin head on my horse? I've already searched the Bloody Baron's house...

[Ed]
And while I'm asking questions, I know the developer has been really good about post release support… Have they mentioned anything about improving controls or animation stutter?

That's your trophy. It gives you benefits based on whatever creature's head you have. Do the witcher contracts and you'll get more trophies.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Wasn't the whole Cinderella quote about how Geralt told how the story is nothing like the reality, where a monster ate the princess and only thing left was one shoe

It is entirely possible I missed that line, yes. That's pretty hilarious, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think it's an optional dialog thing. It's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think it's optional, I got it while doing the race.