Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

Doing this, and also going to hex edit the ROM so all five PCs are Fartz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I add in numbers to variations of "Poque" so I can differentiate easily between runs. Last year I had Poque, PoxTwo, PThree, and PqFour. I will go further this year!

I named mine after numbers last year so it was basically Gundam Wing.

This year it'll all be Fartz.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

You forgot Adamngolem.

AdamaGolem actually :psylon:

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Fister Roboto posted:

AdamaGolem actually :psylon:

Really, you can choose any enemy from the PSX translation and it'll be just as weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I could have sworn there was some version with AdamaGolems.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Then just to spite you, :siren: I HEREBY PLEDGE $1 PER GOON WHO POSTS A NEO DEATHSHOT WITH THE NAME "Fartz" :siren: ($50 max, once per goon, punctuation is fine [like Fartz! or Fartz?])

I am so doing this. Here's hoping I get dancer so I can watch Fartz dance.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna finish World 2 of my Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon chaos run.

http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Today's PSA from the Hip-Hop Gilgabot:

Gilgabot posted:

PLEASE:
FILL OUT YOUR ACCOUNT.
FOLLOW ME AND SOME OTHER PEOPLE.
DON'T BE AN EGG.
IT HELPS PREVENT TWITTER FROM HAVING TWEETS IGNORED.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I just signed up for my first time. I think I've beaten FF5 once on PS1 and once on GBA, but it's been a long time so this should be fun/interesting.

Vhadka
Apr 30, 2009

Well, looks like I'll have another game to play in a month, need to speed up my Witcher 3 playthrough. Got plenty of jobs I haven't had for previous runs, but I bet I'll just get repeats because even RNG controlled by other people hates me.

milk_dud
May 5, 2014

Mega64 posted:

Butz and Fartz are the only acceptable names for a protagonist

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Vhadka posted:

I bet I'll just get repeats because even RNG controlled by other people hates me.

This comes up every year, so it's worth going through the numbers to talk about repeats. If you have a Fiesta set up and you roll again, how many jobs will you tend to see duplicated?

There are 600 possible combinations of jobs under the classic rules. Of those, only 240 have no jobs in common with a given setup. That means that 60% of the time, you're going to see at least one repeat. The good news is that the probability of getting multiple repeats drops off pretty quickly. There are 248 combinations that have exactly one repeated job, 95 that have two, and only 16 that have three (and of course one that has four). So if you get more than two jobs in common with your last run, you're at least pulling off something unlikely. However, it's important to keep in mind that due to the sheer number of Fiesta runs, it's pretty likely that someone will experience that. And since you're comparing your current pull to all of your previous pulls, that drives up the odds of a repeat quite a bit.

You can do these calculations by hand, but this is a one-liner in R:
code:
table(apply(expand.grid(c(1, rep(0, 5)), c(1, rep(0, 4)), c(1, rep(0, 4)), c(1, rep(0, 3))), 1, sum))

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

is there a video of trasson's knight & 3 berserkers Shinryu fight or anything like that?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SubNat posted:

I don't suppose the GBA Sound patch + FFVA Balance Mod patch are compatible?

On a similar note, I assume the GBA Sound Patch + Fiesta State are compatible since neither really touches the other's junk?

Fister Roboto posted:

I could have sworn there was some version with AdamaGolems.

That'd be the SFC fan translation, since you couldn't fit "Adamantine Golem" in the 16-bit name space.

Kawaii Kiwi
Sep 22, 2004
I'm a sad panda too.
I just registered for CHAOS MODE and I anticipate waking up each night in a terrifying cold sweat over whatever fresh hell I have no doubt entered myself into. And you are a fool if you do not follow me on this dark path.

Kawaii Kiwi fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 30, 2015

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

KataraniSword posted:

On a similar note, I assume the GBA Sound Patch + Fiesta State are compatible since neither really touches the other's junk?

That'd be the SFC fan translation, since you couldn't fit "Adamantine Golem" in the 16-bit name space.

The sound patch + Balance mod seem to work just fine, so I'd be surprised if the Fiesta State one didn't.

As I mentioned though, mGBA handles the sound patch way better than VBA does.

Jueg01
Jan 26, 2015
BERSERKER RISK Update!

As of this post, there has been $645.55 in donations and 194 BERSERKER RISK players! That means there's currently a 1-in-3 chance of getting a berserker in your party.

:black101: :getin: :black101:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Simpsons references are always funny, name him Bortz instead.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
FYI there was a version of the Sound Restoration patch released in October of last year that fixes all the slowdown that the original patch had.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I usually name him Bro or Fiesta, but there are plenty of other good names!

- M'boy
- Bart
- Duuude
- Shinji (especially if Dancer)
- Salsa
- Claire
- Mutz
- Brosef
- Brodin
- Goku
- Pimpz
- And more!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

is there a video of trasson's knight & 3 berserkers Shinryu fight or anything like that?

No, I didn't record crap. Honestly, it wasn't super interesting to watch. Most of the interesting bits were in calculating out the best weapons and armor to use and what not.

I mean, I still have the save so when I get home after this weekend I could totally go and record it, but my log from then is still saved on Pastebin.

Qwarq
Apr 3, 2009

My name of choice last year was Dikbut. Because I'm an unfunny nerd who likes to run jokes into the ground.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I usually name him Bro or Fiesta, but there are plenty of other good names!

As I posted in some other thread recently, I enjoyed using "dear". Really makes it sound like everyone's talking down to him.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Pre-reged for my chaos run, first of several runs for the year!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

My new Fiesta start save is now ready.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CapitalistPig posted:

My new Fiesta start save is now ready.

Ditto.

LaserShark
Oct 17, 2007

It's over, idiot. You're gonna die here and now, and the last words out of your mouth will have been 'poop train.'

Schwartzcough posted:

As I posted in some other thread recently, I enjoyed using "dear". Really makes it sound like everyone's talking down to him.

Pity that 'dumbass' is too long.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

Ha ha. My FF14 character is Dear Richard and I get poo poo like this all the time.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Regged for a Chaos run, cast my vote for the initial run, now there's nothing to do but wait and wait and wait...

I suppose I could do a practice run but I'm afraid I'll burn out on the game before the Fiesta even starts.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I was going to do a practice chaos run with what I rolled in IRC myself, but I'm worried that dragging around 4 freelancers to the water crystal will sap my will to play

That and I want to make sure that I save some good luck for actual rolls, since the classes I got from carbybot were bonkers. I don't want to end up with white mage/zerker/geomancer vs sol cannon again.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Four Freelancers is a pain until you can loot Tycoon and get the Ashura and Healing Staff (and the Whip from Magissa). It's probably not a horrible idea to break the Ice Rod at Magissa/Forza either. Your offense will be lacking a bit at Karlabos, and for Siren you'll probably want to bring a lot of Potions so you can chip away at her undead form (Elixirs won't help since she's Heavy).

SubNat posted:

The sound patch + Balance mod seem to work just fine, so I'd be surprised if the Fiesta State one didn't.

As I mentioned though, mGBA handles the sound patch way better than VBA does.

Yeah, I've noticed dash being pretty wonky in VBA with the patch, plus AVI recordings are a pain in general since I have to change the colorspace whenever I re-encode them. Might have to give mGBA a try.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 30, 2015

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Mega64 posted:

Four Freelancers is a pain until you can loot Tycoon and get the Ashura and Healing Staff (and the Whip from Magissa). It's probably not a horrible idea to break the Ice Rod at Magissa/Forza either. Your offense will be lacking a bit at Karlabos, and for Siren you'll probably want to bring a lot of Potions so you can chip away at her undead form (Elixirs won't help since she's Heavy).

Yeah, I've noticed dash being pretty wonky in VBA with the patch, plus AVI recordings are a pain in general since I have to change the colorspace whenever I re-encode them. Might have to give mGBA a try.

Are you using the old VBA 1.8 that hasn't been updated in years or the in active development VBA-m?
There is also Higan but that requires BIOS and doesn't have native recording.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
More than the names, I actually distinguish my runs by changing the HUD colour every time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FillInTheBlank posted:

Are you using the old VBA 1.8 that hasn't been updated in years or the in active development VBA-m?
There is also Higan but that requires BIOS and doesn't have native recording.

VBA-rr, since old VBA has gradual audio-desync when you record AVIs, as I found out when I recorded boss battles for my first fiesta. I found this version on tasvideos.org since I figured they'd have good emulator recommendations that'd meet my needs.

I'm not a big fan of the whole VBA line though since there always seems to be small niggling problems here and there that I don't have to deal with in other emulators, so I'm happy giving something new a try.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

More than the names, I actually distinguish my runs by changing the HUD colour every time.

FF5 needs the window customization from 6, including the eye-searing wallpapers.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Asiina posted:

I do the same thing

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Is the android version the same as iOS? I have some free Amazon app store credit and it's up there. I'm just haven't heard anyone mention playing it on that platform.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hackan Slash posted:

Is the android version the same as iOS? I have some free Amazon app store credit and it's up there. I'm just haven't heard anyone mention playing it on that platform.

Yeah.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

LaserShark posted:

Pity that 'dumbass' is too long.

Dumass fits though and it's close enough, can even make a "It's pronounced doo-moss" joke.

Registered for a random run and Berserker Risk, I normally start out with a normal run but that would only give me one Berserker, the fun of Berserker Risk is the possibility of multiple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Registered for a normal run.

It'll also be my first time playing FFV.

I hope Gilgabot is good to me with job rolls.

• Locked thread