Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Between Under the Red Hood and those comic panels, I get the feeling Black Mask yells a lot because he's the only sane villain in Gotham.

Also, there's a comicbook villain named Captain Nazi. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Apparently Captain Nazi is one of the older DC Comics supervillains (since 1941), so it makes sense for him to be trotted out for the "WTF?" effect.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Between Under the Red Hood and those comic panels, I get the feeling Black Mask yells a lot because he's the only sane villain in Gotham.

Also, there's a comicbook villain named Captain Nazi. :allears:

I would not call him sane. He is too trigger happy for that. He murders all of his officers later on with a huge grin, explaining that he would have liked nothing better then to take all of his officers set them on fire and chuck them out of an airplane if he did not need them here.

He is however smart and pragmatic and clearly has no faith in D list villains.

NGDBSS posted:

Apparently Captain Nazi is one of the older DC Comics supervillains (since 1941), so it makes sense for him to be trotted out for the "WTF?" effect.

To be correct he was originally a Fawcett comics villain aka a Captain Marvel villain. He was also the one who disabled Freddy Freeman aka Captain Marvel Jr. (The only superhero that can't say his own name.)

EDIT: Putting the Images on the new page

Count Vertigo was the 3rd villain on the way if you are curious.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 29, 2015

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Night10194 posted:

Comic books also kind of rely on all official authorities being incredibly complacent, corrupt, or incompetent to necessitate a man in a silly costume beating the tar out of criminals.

That isn't even necessarily a criticism, more that it's one of the chief things you have to suspend disbelief in for the genre to work.

Now I'm incredibly curious where in the world you live :allears:

TwoPair posted:

DC did have a populace dumb enough to elect Lex loving Luthor president, so yeah, that's pretty accurate.

To be fair, Luthor is a goddamn genius who could balance the U.S. budget with a formula on a napkin. Too bad that he's also a crook, but it's not like that's an impediment in most modern democracies :v:

No, I'm not Anarky, why do you ask?

Also,I don't think a guy who stole his appearance from the Red Skull gets to complain about a guy called Captain Nazi.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kal-L posted:

Now I'm incredibly curious where in the world you live :allears:

Detroit. I know real world authorities have their share of corruption, complacency, and incompetence, but they don't actually allow private citizens to build massive concentration camps cum doom fortresses in the middle of major metropolitan areas.

In the real world, they just keep imprisoning people on drug charges to keep them from voting and exploit them for cheap slave labor.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Night10194 posted:

Detroit. I know real world authorities have their share of corruption, complacency, and incompetence, but they don't actually allow private citizens to build massive concentration camps cum doom fortresses in the middle of major metropolitan areas.

In the real world, they just keep imprisoning people on drug charges to keep them from voting and exploit them for cheap slave labor.

Anarky was right! :gonk:

And the rest of us don't live in cities patroled by Robocop. :v:

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Chicago has a literal secret prison called Homan Square whose name is never written on any transfer documents, where suspects are taken to be beaten until they confess and denied counsel. This is not a joke.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
How have you heard about it, if it's so secret?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LoonShia posted:

In the sense that it's not admitted to, and there are no records of detainees' time there.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Because he's one of the guys doing the beatings, duh!

I know that cops and police forces all over do a very difficult job, but it seems like the norm is guys like Branden, and less like Jim Gordon.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

He was a Captain Marvel villain (I refuse to call him Shazam, that is the WIZARD'S name!) and was pretty much representative of the 40's era of comics. Basically he was an SS officer who underwent a secret procedure that turned him into a Nazi version of Captain America, ended up put in suspended animation for 50 years along with Hitler when it was clear that the war wasn't going to end well for Germany. His mission was when he was revived to find and revive Hitler and recreate the Third Reich but (thankfully) Hitler's pod failed and did a bunch of villainous things.

Yeah ok, I'm a Captain Marvel fanboy, deal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Zedd posted:

I kind of like the dumb fan joke that Alfred just lies and covers the truth about criminals being plenty fine. :v:
Actually Alfred lies about waiting at the Batcave for Bruce. He follows behind Batman wherever he goes, cleaning up after him by providing rudimentary emergency care to the most brutalized criminals he comes across and setting up trampolines at street level of buildings that Bats does his hold people by the ankle interrogation schtick (just in case). He's a butler ninja.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

Actually Alfred lies about waiting at the Batcave for Bruce. He follows behind Batman wherever he goes, cleaning up after him by providing rudimentary emergency care to the most brutalized criminals he comes across and setting up trampolines at street level of buildings that Bats does his hold people by the ankle interrogation schtick (just in case). He's a butler ninja.
I really wish that was a DLC.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
It would certainly make for a more interesting game than this one. Actually it sounds like fun, now that you mention it.

KeiraWalker fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 29, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JT Jag posted:

Actually Alfred lies about waiting at the Batcave for Bruce. He follows behind Batman wherever he goes, cleaning up after him by providing rudimentary emergency care to the most brutalized criminals he comes across and setting up trampolines at street level of buildings that Bats does his hold people by the ankle interrogation schtick

Does he play this song while he does it?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

LoonShia posted:

Through patient investigative journalism; It only became non-secret three months ago because of this Guardian article. Fun fact: those CIA blacksites where they torture people for information? They asked the Chicago PD for tips and tricks because CPD's been doing this poo poo for ~40 years at least.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JT Jag posted:

I really want this to be true.

Also that Chicago prison thing is incredibly hosed up.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Come to think of it, isn't Chicago the city that Gotham's most heavily based on?
Was Arkham City a documentary? :ohdear:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ManlyGrunting posted:

Come to think of it, isn't Chicago the city that Gotham's most heavily based on?
Was Arkham City a documentary? :ohdear:

Gotham is traditionally mostly an unflattering depiction of New York, but yeah it gets strong Chicago and Detroit elements depending on the artist/writer.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Isn't there a bad guy called the Crime Doctor running around Gotham? Maybe he's the reason no-thugs seem to end up killed in these games (except by their bosses)

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Isn't there a bad guy called the Crime Doctor running around Gotham? Maybe he's the reason no-thugs seem to end up killed in these games (except by their bosses)

Why yes! Yes there is. He's the brother of Gotham City crimelord Rupert Thorne. And he goes by a no-kill policy, since the Hippocratic oath still applies. He's a doctor, drat it!

A Swift Aside/Polsy

On a gameplay note, I won't be capturing all of the Anarky tags on video since watching me hunt down things in Detective mode would be boring as hell in the way I assume the Riddler Roundups are not. Instead, the second post has been updated with all of the Anarky tags. And the Pinkney tags, so I don't forget them later.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Huh. Funny enough, "Duende" is Spanish for Goblin (Green Goblin is called El Duende Verde in Spanish). They do use the correct one for Joker though, with "Payaso" being clown, but Bane sure as hell doesn't sound native when saying it.

Penguin is, boringly, "pingüino".

/edit: aaaaaaand of course, you mention it in the video. No more posting before watching for me. :shobon:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 30, 2015

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dscruffy1 posted:

Why yes! Yes there is. He's the brother of Gotham City crimelord Rupert Thorne. And he goes by a no-kill policy, since the Hippocratic oath still applies. He's a doctor, drat it!

He actually got his own episode of Batman the Animated Series.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
According to Batman's scanner, Venom is just crack cocaine I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JT Jag posted:

According to Batman's scanner, Venom is just crack cocaine I guess.

Crack Cocaine with the side effect of temporarily changing your bone structure. Cause, you know, that's a thing that happens all the time.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

You mean it crack DOESN'T do that?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The D.A.R.E. program has much to answer for.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Kurieg posted:

Crack Cocaine with the side effect of temporarily changing your bone structure. Cause, you know, that's a thing that happens all the time.
If you notice, the Venom users also get bigger and (according to at least one Bio of bane in the Akrhamverse games LPed so far, I think) significantly heavier when being pumped by a backpack that first has to fill these giant tubes that go into their bodies, but also don't allow for them to bleed when the tubes are yanked out from the backpack.

Changing the bone structure of the user is one of the lesser crimes against science that the world of Batman (at least Arkhamverse Batman), and through it, Venom/Titan, commits.

Seriously, it throws conservation of mass right out the goddamn window.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shei-kun posted:

If you notice, the Venom users also get bigger and (according to at least one Bio of bane in the Akrhamverse games LPed so far, I think) significantly heavier when being pumped by a backpack that first has to fill these giant tubes that go into their bodies, but also don't allow for them to bleed when the tubes are yanked out from the backpack.

Changing the bone structure of the user is one of the lesser crimes against science that the world of Batman (at least Arkhamverse Batman), and through it, Venom/Titan, commits.

When Batman got Titaned in Arkham Asylum I was seriously hoping for a Titan Bats vs. Titan Joker throwdown. I was very disappointed when I didn't get to see Huge Monster Batfight.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Night10194 posted:

When Batman got Titaned in Arkham Asylum I was seriously hoping for a Titan Bats vs. Titan Joker throwdown. I was very disappointed when I didn't get to see Huge Monster Batfight.

Yeah, it's like the end of Path of Neo "This is what we'd normally do, but that would make for a really lovely game. So just accept this cool and completely non-canon thing."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Of all the sidequest villains to add to this game, I can't help but wonder why they'd waste a slot on Bird. He could've easily filled the role the Abramovich Twins did in the previous game.

Also, this is a minor nitpick, but Bird in this game looks nothing like his comics counterpart.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 30, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Shei-kun posted:

Resident Evil is another major offender here but yeah, I've never been able to totally suspend my disbelief for either the titan or venom transformation. It's not offensive, just something that makes me roll my eyes.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, this is a minor nitpick, but Bird in this game looks nothing like his comics counterpart.

Wow you're right, in the comics he's an actual bird, I can't believe they'd make that change.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If they were going to feature Bird they should have also featured Bane's other two Henchmen, Trogg and Zombie.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Actually, you can create mass. Joker would need more than 20 times the yearly energy consumption of the whole world per Titan though. If the serums contain that amount of energy, I think the serum should be used to create a new type of power plant first and foremost.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
About the snipers near the start of the second newest video, couldn't you have soniced them from the roof of the first sniper? Or is the cooldown on those instaKO batarangs too long to bother with for that?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You can only use sonic once in an area and it doesn't affect all enemies

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I was, once again, ultra disappointed to see that the last Most Wanted was loving Bird. Bird?! Who is that? You're telling me Bane is one of the main villains in the game and somehow still also a sidequest? Come on. The snipers are very annoying as well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Nalesh posted:

About the snipers near the start of the second newest video, couldn't you have soniced them from the roof of the first sniper? Or is the cooldown on those instaKO batarangs too long to bother with for that?

I think the sonic is locked to predator rooms, although I'm quite possibly talking out my rear end here. Alternatively, scruffy could have disabled a sniper fired the disrupter gun into a railing, remote bataranged the second sniper off the roof and then glide kicked into the remaining thugs sniper that didn't get disabled.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SonicRulez posted:

I was, once again, ultra disappointed to see that the last Most Wanted was loving Bird. Bird?! Who is that? You're telling me Bane is one of the main villains in the game and somehow still also a sidequest? Come on. The snipers are very annoying as well.

For what it's worth, Bird isn't the last most wanted either! Truth is it's much much worse.

• Locked thread