Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

io_burn posted:

Did he ever get poo poo on for that? Selling beta access is about the shadiest thing you can do.
I think like 3 or 4 people called him out in his SA Mart thread and then he closed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo io_burn, you got another review coming up? I enjoyed reading your first one.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Kobayashi posted:

Yo io_burn, you got another review coming up? I enjoyed reading your first one.

Week 1: http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/15/the-apple-watch-review-week-1/
Week 2: http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/22/the-apple-watch-review-week-2/
Week 3: http://toucharcade.com/2015/05/29/the-apple-watch-review-week-3/

Kind of running out of poo poo to talk about, I think this week might be my last one particularly as it all kind of comes off as whining since legitimately every single feature of the Apple Watch feels so half baked at the moment.

io_burn fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 1, 2015

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu
Watch is shipping earlier than the estimate :toot: Ordered in late May if I remember right.

Now to make an app that can clock my masturbation speed.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Salsa McManus posted:

Watch is shipping earlier than the estimate :toot: Ordered in late May if I remember right.

Now to make an app that can clock my masturbation speed.

Which one? Still waiting on Rose gold here.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I've noticed that the band on my Sport is loose where it connects to the watch body on both sides. It will jiggle around if it's not on my wrist. The connection seems secure otherwise and the lugs don't look defective. Is this just how it is with the sport bands?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah, I think. Mine is the same, as long as it's solid on your wrist I wouldn't worry.

Salsa McManus
Jul 12, 2007

Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu Khezu

Hasters posted:

Which one? Still waiting on Rose gold here.

It's the black 42mm sport. The email hit my inbox last night.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Salsa McManus posted:

It's the black 42mm sport. The email hit my inbox last night.

Nice, after a few months maybe you could post about how the coating is holding up. I almost got that one but I was just afraid that coating is going to scratch and discolor very easily.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Hasters posted:

Nice, after a few months maybe you could post about how the coating is holding up. I almost got that one but I was just afraid that coating is going to scratch and discolor very easily.

Got mine on launch day, wear it every day, still looks flawless.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First impression: The thing is beautiful in terms of fit and finish. OS is quirky but I think I can get used to it. The battery went down 10% in the time it took me to set it up and play with it for a few minutes. I think this is a device that in going to have to turn off the battery indicator on.

The total shipping weight of the think was 1.3 kilos. The weight of the packaging was 1.1 kilos.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

rage-saq posted:

The cheapish pandawell leather strap on amazon is actually decent. The lugs that were included are pretty much a flawless fit and match the finish of the stainless perfectly, and while the leather band is on the cheap side, its perfectly functional. I find it quite a bit more comfortable than the sport band for regular wear, but given my preference for leather straps thats not a surprise.

rage-saq posted:

The sport band is ok. Its a little on the chunky side, which isn't a problem, but it really molds and sticks to your body and the rubbery texture leaves a little weird feeling on your arm after you take it off. I'm keeping mine around for any events where the sport band is appropriate but I'll be using a leather band for the rest of the time.
Because I can't help it I ordered this deployant strap off amazon and I'll see how the 23mm fits on the lugs. If I measure out the existing band that I got its just a few hairs under 24mm, so a 24mm might fit better but I can't find one in the above style.

The 23mm deployant strap through strapcode/amazon came in last night and its way better than the super cheap/pleathery pandawell strap that never seemed to actually break in and fit well on my wrist. This Miltat was pretty much a perfect fit the second I put it on, which isn't surprising considering they are a 'real watch' watch strap company vs some knockoff company who sells stuff for uber cheap. The leather feels great and the deployant is great too, I can barely tell its there.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

Got mine on launch day, wear it every day, still looks flawless.

Same for me.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

First impression: The thing is beautiful in terms of fit and finish. OS is quirky but I think I can get used to it. The battery went down 10% in the time it took me to set it up and play with it for a few minutes. I think this is a device that in going to have to turn off the battery indicator on.

The total shipping weight of the think was 1.3 kilos. The weight of the packaging was 1.1 kilos.

Getting everything set up and installed eats batteries pretty good, but don't let that give you the wrong idea; no matter how active I am or how long a day I have I can never go under 55%.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

chaosbreather posted:

Getting everything set up and installed eats batteries pretty good, but don't let that give you the wrong idea; no matter how active I am or how long a day I have I can never go under 55%.

I wore mine for the first full day yesterday. The battery was at 100% at 7:00am, and at about 8:30 pm, I was at 19%. I did a 30 minute workout in that period but other than that, just normal use. I want to see if today is any different because everything I have read seems to indicate that that experience is not normal.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I've been pretty reliably putting my Apple Watch on the charger with ~60% battery remaining wearing it from 8 AM to midnight with a 30-60 min workout. Definitely does not seem normal.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I usually put it on around 7:00am and I have anywhere from 32-25% battery life remaining at midnight. It's been consistently in that range since the day after I got the watch. It went from 45% to 10% in the span of three hours on the first day.

I have two daily 15 minute workouts, but I never notice much of a battery life hit from them.

corsair
Jan 10, 2001
Well I put it on at 7:30 am today and have 81% right now at 1:11 pm. I am hoping yesterday was an anomaly

EDIT: no workouts yet, just normal use.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
My experience with battery life has also been fantastic, I've even take off the battery status complication on the watch face because its a complete non-issue. I normally put it on in the morning around 7/7:30 and put it back on the charger around midnight usually with 55-60% life remaining and on rare occasions I see it as low as 45%. I don't have many third party apps but I do run full notifications for email (dozens to a hundred per day), SMS and calls, with the occasional dark sky or deliveries update.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Like all new toys, your battery stats for the first few days will always be way off. For example, you will probably never spend an entire hour just poking around the system and changing every setting with the screen on again.

edit: vv You didn't mess with the settings on the watch and open every application to see what it was? I was messing with the watch for a long time and drained the hell out of the battery on the first day.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 4, 2015

corsair
Jan 10, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

Like all new toys, your battery stats for the first few days will always be way off. For example, you will probably never spend an entire hour just poking around the system and changing every setting with the screen on again.

Except you are doing it on the phone and not the watch so that isn't the issue. I think it had just north of 50% when I took it off at 10pm yesterday, which seems more like it.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
Looks like the solved a lot of their supply issues. I ordered my watch on the 4th. It shipped on the 6th to be delivered on the 9th. 42 SS w/ classic buckle.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I guess Apple will announce the watch sdk today, but having used the watch for a week, I have no idea what to expect/want out of third party apps. Obviously right now third party apps are really lovely, but it seems more than anything the watch is useful to display notifications and other info and not much else. I'm wondering what kind of interactivity third party apps can add that would actually be useful.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
If nothing else, I'm interested in what's in store for the Overcast podcast player. The existing WatchKit app works as a useful remote control for phone playback that can do a lot of stuff beyond the 1st-party Now Playing glance. If (and it's a big if!) the Watch SDK is powerful enough to let Overcast be a full-fledged client, without murdering battery life, that'd be great. I listen to podcasts when I work out, and that's currently the thing that's forcing me to take my phone along.

Even if the SDK doesn't let this happen, just having a fully native equivalent to today's watch app would be nice as it'd likely have a much faster and responsive UI.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: WWDC time! :siren:

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I love how a lot of articles about the Watch os2 are saying "finally" about things like native apps, 3rd party complications, etc. the thing has only been out for a loving month!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

I love how a lot of articles about the Watch os2 are saying "finally" about things like native apps, 3rd party complications, etc. the thing has only been out for a loving month!

To be fair it probably should have shipped with that stuff.

And they just announced third party complications but not faces, right? Because it would be great to have more faces to choose from.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Reminds me of these.

And they just announced third party complications but not faces, right? Because it would be great to have more faces to choose from.
Yeah complications. On one of the slides was something like "ClockKit" which got me excited for a second, but I can't imagine that's for third party faces just cause it seems like it'd be big enough to mention during the main keynote.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"Apple's most personal product ever. Now choose from these 6 faces, one of which is a butterfly. A god damned butterfly."

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

"Apple's most personal product ever. Now choose from these 6 faces, one of which is a butterfly. A god damned butterfly."

Got a new watch face

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Drastic Actions posted:

Got a new watch face

Amazing. May I suggest this photo next

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Announced last September, so that's nine months ago, and probably another three months before v2 OS comes out.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
There's no way Apple will allow custom faces. It's like the lock screen for the iPhone. They control that territory.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Whirlwind Jones posted:

There's no way Apple will allow custom faces. It's like the lock screen for the iPhone. They control that territory.

Yeah, just google some of the custom Android wear watch faces and you'll see why.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Yeah God forbid someone see your lovely custom made face and base their $350+ purchase on that.

It's going to be more akin to wallpapers on iPhone and will be a feature you can customize in the next revision. Why couldn't they include it this time? Oh, they could have! They just wanted to save it (or have features you want in the next one so they can sell you that.) maybe, If you're lucky, they'll charge you like ringtones!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

rear end Catchcum posted:

Yeah God forbid someone see your lovely custom made face and base their $350+ purchase on that.

It's going to be more akin to wallpapers on iPhone and will be a feature you can customize in the next revision. Why couldn't they include it this time? Oh, they could have! They just wanted to save it (or have features you want in the next one so they can sell you that.) maybe, If you're lucky, they'll charge you like ringtones!

It will just require next years model like MMS and the iphone.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Apple will never allow custom watch faces. Sorry you're mad about it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm not mad about it, because I wasn't impatient enough to buy one.

And if you don't think it's hilarious their most personal device ever won't allow you to upload your own background, you're just a dunce who nods along to whatever you're being told.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
You can do your own background with the OS 2 update. Can't do anything else with it though.

Hell it was shown initially then pulled before launch for whatever reason but it's back apparently, along with the city time lapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm not mad about it, because I wasn't impatient enough to buy one.

And if you don't think it's hilarious their most personal device ever won't allow you to upload your own background, you're just a dunce who nods along to whatever you're being told.
You can upload your own background. :confused:

• Locked thread