Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

dscruffy1 posted:

For what it's worth, Bird isn't the last most wanted either! Truth is it's much much worse.

...Poison Ivy? Has she ever been a scary, threatening villain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It could be Crazy Quilt.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

You're assuming there's actually a villain we haven't seen yet. Or, y'know, an interesting concept.
If the last file is what I think it is - postgame content - it sets a new low in laziness.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 30, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Cythereal posted:

House and Garden in Batman: The Animated Series was scary.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

...Wait, his actual codename is Bird? I thought that was just 'ooh who could this be' of some sort; Batman doesn't know who this person is but he knows they have a bird codename so he just calls them Bird.

Bird is quite possibly the worst super-codename I can think of. At least The Whizzer and Paste-Pot Pete have the 'lol silver age' appeal to them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hellioning posted:

...Wait, his actual codename is Bird? I thought that was just 'ooh who could this be' of some sort; Batman doesn't know who this person is but he knows they have a bird codename so he just calls them Bird.

Bird is quite possibly the worst super-codename I can think of. At least The Whizzer and Paste-Pot Pete have the 'lol silver age' appeal to them.

His real name is Angel Vallelunga. He goes by the Code name Bird. Bane's other two henchmen are Sergio Ortiz, and Diego Ortiz who go by the code names Trogg and Zombie.

Each of the three have a good deal of skills that make them useful to Bane.

Trogg is the best fighter of the three and until Bane matured he was considered to be best fighter in Pena Duro prison, he is also very tech savvy, being an excellent mechanical and electrical engineer. Being the one who created and maintains Bane's venom pump, and getting his venom factory's up and running, along with just being Bane's tech guy.

Zombie does not have much brute force but is very skilled being an expert marksman and Knife thrower. He is also responsible for supplying Bane with Venom.

Bird is responsible for teaching Bane about the world outside of the prison he was born it. Particularly Gotham were Bird was born. Bird skills are having a ton of knowledge of Gotham's underworld and lots of connections in it. He is also a skilled falconer, with his pet Falcon Talon which he used to spy on Batman and other criminals in Gotham for Bane.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The pacing of this game is weird. It feels like it should have ended after the hotel. Now we're just kind of wandering around and mopping up?

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
Say what you want about Joker. At least he's not a filthy Nazi!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The difference between Joker and a Nazi is that the Joker massacres people completely at random, while Nazis unjustifiably focus on massacring members of select groups. They're too narrow-minded for him. Can't you see that everyone is equally worthy of being killed or having their lives ruined?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
More infuriating things I've discovered about Arkham Origins: So challenge mode is mostly still workable. You know, aside from Bruce Wayne being fundamentally flawed and characters sometimes sinking into the ground. And thugs standing still at random when someone goes to check a body in a predator room. And oddly prioritizing armored enemies for regular hits, along with enforcers still hitting you mid counter. And sometimes getting hit by ghost enemies. And enemies randomly being immune to the second hit of a stun combo.

But at least the campaign modifiers aren't broken. Right?

WELL LET ME TELL YOU.

They've still got a modifier for reduced health. On predator rooms it's basically one shot one kill. One combat maps it's just less health. There's also a predator medal for taking no damage in a map. It would make sense, therefore, to combine the modifer for reduced health with the medal for no damage. You're not supposed to be getting hit anyway, right? Surely they wouldn't count the health loss from the modifier as damage taken during the map.

...right?

:shepicide:

VostokProgram posted:

The pacing of this game is weird. It feels like it should have ended after the hotel. Now we're just kind of wandering around and mopping up?

Well sure. Bane's still out there! And dangerous!

It's another casualty of the Joker being added in after the initial draft was finished.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

JT Jag posted:

The difference between Joker and a Nazi is that the Joker massacres people completely at random, while Nazis unjustifiably focus on massacring members of select groups. They're too narrow-minded for him. Can't you see that everyone is equally worthy of being killed or having their lives ruined?

It's just that Nazis aren't funny anymore

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

JT Jag posted:

See, if we had more fun Joker traits like this (I'm assuming this is his actual rationale) instead of the grimdark "murder everyone and taunt Batman about being the same as me", he'd be more of an entertaining villain.

dscruffy1 posted:

They've still got a modifier for reduced health. On predator rooms it's basically one shot one kill. One combat maps it's just less health. There's also a predator medal for taking no damage in a map. It would make sense, therefore, to combine the modifer for reduced health with the medal for no damage. You're not supposed to be getting hit anyway, right? Surely they wouldn't count the health loss from the modifier as damage taken during the map.

...right?

How does this game even?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dscruffy1 posted:

More infuriating things I've discovered about Arkham Origins: So challenge mode is mostly still workable. You know, aside from Bruce Wayne being fundamentally flawed and characters sometimes sinking into the ground. And thugs standing still at random when someone goes to check a body in a predator room. And oddly prioritizing armored enemies for regular hits, along with enforcers still hitting you mid counter. And sometimes getting hit by ghost enemies. And enemies randomly being immune to the second hit of a stun combo.

But at least the campaign modifiers aren't broken. Right?

WELL LET ME TELL YOU.

...right?

Please tell me that this wasn't the last map in a super long campaign that you figured this out during. Or do, schadenfreude makes the world go round.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry, Scruffy, but I am laughing sooo drat hard at that post.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

That's amazing. I recall in City that combo of challenge/modifier would work as you thought it would w/no problems. It's like they unnecessarily rewrote some code for the predator mechanics :allears:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey, it's time to move on with the plot. Almost. And I finally got the special combo disarm and destroy. Shield enemies and stun sticks are a thing of the past! Still not sure why they wait so long to give you these upgrades.

A Little Bird Told Me/Polsy - Blackmail tapes: Bane 1

New character profile: Bird

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Trogg and Zombie were the other lieutenants.

Also, the My Alibi is notorious for a save-ending glitch that throws you into an infinite void and Autosaves.

Crispin Freeman sounds like he's having fun voicing Firefly.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Yeah, so even Bird got a health bar, but not Black Mask? Lame. I noticed in this video that you do the same thing I do when moving Batman. We both tend to walk whenever it would seem "appropriate" for Bats to be stalking quietly instead of running. There's basically no reason not to be running whenever you aren't in a predator room, but we both do it. I do it because I think it looks cool to be honest.

I don't understand Batman's conclusion that he has to go after Firefly. He clearly said he won't arm the bombs until Bats shows up. The fire is something he can't put out anyway, he's not Superman. So whatever collateral damage he's already caused/will cause is going to happen regardless of Batman being there or not. He should've just left it up to Gordon, ran home to intercept Bane, and then flew back to kick Firefly's teeth in. Bad call, Bats.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the things about the game is that it just generically calls things "extortion tapes." 1, Bane's tape was in his possession, second, even if it was in Nigma's hands, what would he hope to gain out of it. "Giant Luchador Assassin! Give me monies or I'll reveal to the world that you're a virtually unstoppable Giant Luchador assassin, except the giant tubes in your back make you vulnerable, at least for now."

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
That would require Batman to trust Gordon and the cops more than he trusts the security of his Batcave. Of course it's the wrong call, but it fits with his character here.

That said, this whole sidequest is idiotic from beginning to end, and the complete waste of the My Alibi set for it is just part of it. The worst of it is that there's absolutely no connection between Bird and the Disarm & Destroy move. You just beat down Bird and bam, new ability! Couldn't they link this to a villain who can take apart guns or at least have Bats do it once in a cutscene just to show where it's coming from?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
His character of being a moron but we've been over that already.

Anyway, this is one of the most painfully obvious design fuckups - a fundamental ability hidden behind a sidequest you can't access until you're near the end of the game. How could anyone think that is a good idea is beyond me.
edit: Oh, and of course they won't tell you about the point of no return.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 1, 2015

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

"Oh god oh god im still concious please dont notice please please please"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I like how Bane figures it out.

Not through amazing deductive powers. Not through beating people up. Not through beating up Batman and ripping off his mask. Not through some stupid plot device.

No. Bane figured out Batman by watching the radar. He was tracking the Batwing (which normally flies below commercial radar), found where it was going and looked it up on a map.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
A smart, capable villain who can get poo poo done.

But he's not the Joker, so gently caress him.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad I didn't finish this game

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

FeyerbrandX posted:

One of the things about the game is that it just generically calls things "extortion tapes." 1, Bane's tape was in his possession, second, even if it was in Nigma's hands, what would he hope to gain out of it. "Giant Luchador Assassin! Give me monies or I'll reveal to the world that you're a virtually unstoppable Giant Luchador assassin, except the giant tubes in your back make you vulnerable, at least for now."

Hmm, to be fair at least he is talking about a weakness, which is the sort of thing people do try to extort someone over. Granted Bane's reaction to an actual attempt to extort him with it would be to inform Enigma that Bane will be fascinated to see how quickly Enigma can solve the jigsaw puzzle Bane will turn him into, but it's not like they're labeled EFFECTIVE extortion tapes I suppose.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair this tape is mostly there to set up a particularly stupid plot point.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
You can still use fast travel before going to the bridge- at least to return to the Batcave and talk to Alfred. He's confused and says he thought you were going to stop Firefly, that's it. No way to intercept Bane early. Stupid railroad plot.

Thanks for the LP, Scruffy. I'm enjoying it as I have all your past work.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair this tape is mostly there to set up a particularly stupid plot point.

The entirety of Titan and its application in Asylum and City?

Titan is seriously the single weakest part of every game's story and shouldn't be included. Yet here we are, getting backstory for something we've already seen and solved twice so far, as if we care about it. It worked okay in Asylum, but its inclusion into City felt like a needless retread, and this feels like a desperate attempt at shoehorning in A:O for the grand scheme of things. "Yeah, well, uh, Titan started in our game, because Bane thought it up, so there! Can't call this just a side-project now!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It took three games for Bane to finally get an audio tape!

Also, yeah, I can't imagine anyone would lose sleep over Riddler blackmailing Bane. Aside from Riddler, when Bane came for him.

Or, y'know, Batman.

berryjon posted:

I like how Bane figures it out.

Not through amazing deductive powers. Not through beating people up. Not through beating up Batman and ripping off his mask. Not through some stupid plot device.

No. Bane figured out Batman by watching the radar. He was tracking the Batwing (which normally flies below commercial radar), found where it was going and looked it up on a map.

And he didn't even need a Detective Mode. :v:

death .cab for qt posted:

The entirety of Titan and its application in Asylum and City?

Titan is seriously the single weakest part of every game's story and shouldn't be included. Yet here we are, getting backstory for something we've already seen and solved twice so far, as if we care about it. It worked okay in Asylum, but its inclusion into City felt like a needless retread, and this feels like a desperate attempt at shoehorning in A:O for the grand scheme of things. "Yeah, well, uh, Titan started in our game, because Bane thought it up, so there! Can't call this just a side-project now!"

It was alright in Asylum for having mini-boss enemies, but I agree that it was hugely unnecessary in every other game.

Let's hope it's not back in Arkham Knight.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I kind of like the decision to lock certain abilities, especially the disarm and destroy combo, behind plot walls. A lot of the big combos are just flat out broken, and locking stuff off (in theory) let's you play around with stuff you would normally just combo away. Shield thugs are trivial when you can instantly turn them into normal thugs with no one picking that shield back up, for instance, so certain enemy types get a time to shine before you start invalidating them en mass.

That said, the implementation was kind of horrid between the selection of what was locked off(Critical strikes? Really? That one's vital), where the abilities were locked off(A required skill to progress the tech tree? Let's put it in a side quest not everyone will do!), and the logic behind what skills got unlocked where(Brought up in the video, but seriously You could have gotten blade dodge takedown from shiva given her whole ninja theme. That would have made sense. As is most of them feel randomly scattered around just because rather than having a purpose behind them)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

So the next part of the game is why I think Origins has the best writing of the series thus far. Once you hit the point of no return, I really *wanted* to play all the way through to the end. Except for a big fight near the end, I was pretty much locked in all the way to the credits.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Why was there a random target on the wall above the door for the multi ground takedown at 13:55?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Sir? Aren't you going to stop Firefly? Sir... ?

No, Alfred. I have to collect all these shiny green boxes first. God.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I kind of like the decision to lock certain abilities, especially the disarm and destroy combo, behind plot walls. A lot of the big combos are just flat out broken, and locking stuff off (in theory) let's you play around with stuff you would normally just combo away. Shield thugs are trivial when you can instantly turn them into normal thugs with no one picking that shield back up, for instance, so certain enemy types get a time to shine before you start invalidating them en mass.

That said, the implementation was kind of horrid between the selection of what was locked off(Critical strikes? Really? That one's vital), where the abilities were locked off(A required skill to progress the tech tree? Let's put it in a side quest not everyone will do!), and the logic behind what skills got unlocked where(Brought up in the video, but seriously You could have gotten blade dodge takedown from shiva given her whole ninja theme. That would have made sense. As is most of them feel randomly scattered around just because rather than having a purpose behind them)

I agree with this. As it is, we should be gaining abilities during some fights, I feel. A cutscene happens before the last bit of fighting Copperhead and you have to pull back to dodge her swipes or else she kills you with poison. Congrats, you learned a blade takedown! Deathstroke is too good with his katana to fight him head-on, Batman needs to dispose of the weapon. Congrats! You got Disarm and Destroy!

I even like having Critical Strikes blocked off behind Shiva, they just need to make all these events happen within Act 1 or the start-middle of Act 2. Locking things like that until literally before the final area--that is terrible planning

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Sir? Aren't you going to stop Firefly? Sir... ?

No, Alfred. I have to collect all these shiny green boxes first. God.
Batman: The only person more obsessive than Edward Nigma when it comes to shiny green things.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bassguitarhero posted:

So the next part of the game is why I think Origins has the best writing of the series thus far. Once you hit the point of no return, I really *wanted* to play all the way through to the end. Except for a big fight near the end, I was pretty much locked in all the way to the credits.

I think the dramatic tension definitely ramps up but, even though I've defended this game a lot, I've gotta disagree with you and say this is where the writing starts going way south.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The writing started going south the moment Joker showed up and you're locked in because you're literally locked in. The Firefly point of no return is a really lovely thing to do because it doesn't look like a point of no return - oh look, it's another one of those assassin clowns again, I'll just drop in and maybe get an ability - OH poo poo ENDGAME.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That's the weird thing about it, you need to get back to Wayne Manor to stop Bane, but then Firefly pops up like the previous assassins and seems very much like a sidequest, so you definitely wouldn't think that going after Firefly would roll you to the endgame.

The point of no return should be you selecting to return to Wayne Manor, or even having you suit up at the Batcave and the no return being you going into the manor itself, meaning you can choose when you want to do it but still have everything open to you until then. But again, it falls to poor planning and seven different writers and developers crashing into one crazy mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I guess the Point of No Return never bothered me because it's never an actual issue. After you beat the game, selecting Story Mode drops you right back in Gotham for you to pick up the green boxes or destroy the relays or punch Deadshot in the nuts or whatever you forgot to do beforehand. Unless you're one of those obsessives that wants to do every single thing before the credits role, but that's not even possible.

• Locked thread