Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Infinitum posted:

Couple of pointers.
- Squid Beacons. They're the little # tag looking things on your minimap. You can jump to them if a teammate drops one. :argh:
- You can jump to a team mate ANY time you like. You do not have to be on the starting circle platform.
- If you are using the Krak-on Roller, when you transform into the :krakken: remember to jump! Jumping attacks the opposition and kills them. Too many people just swimming around spreading ink.
- Team cat

Most of these are good tips aside from the last one which is garbage that everyone should ignore. Here are some things that I noticed.
-It's generally a good idea to teleport to someone just outside of the major battle area because super jumping marks your landing spot with a really obvious marker unless you have the ninja jump ability.
-You can always super jump to your base and it has a barrier around it that blocks opponents from getting too close. Good for stopping rollers who try to spawn camp you. Also don't forget to mark the area behind the spawn point. you only have to do it once and it's basically free percentage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've killed a lot of people with the Homing Bombchu, or the Seeker, it is now my favorite sub weapon, its great for ferreting people out of cover or killing Roller users.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I hope you guys realized that Splatoon is for babies. :colbert:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Suaimhneas I'm sorry for what I did to your team

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Dang, I thought I was getting a good deal on Gamesrocket by buying an eShop code there. I even bought it in USD but it turns out the code is only good for the EU version of the game.

I don't suppose anyone would fancy a trade?

EDIT: Made a thread in SA Mart, since I realized getting an equivalent US code would be difficult.

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 30, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
My Nintendo ID is Kurtofan if people want to splatoon with me.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I'm not looking at the thread for ONE DAY, and it's nearly 500 posts longer.
Y'all fuckers are crazy 'bout squids. :colbert:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Man I am having horrible luck. I win maybe 1 out of 5 matches even though I'm routinely at the top of the score board

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finally got on a team with a goon and won with the other team havin 15%

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
To the owner of the Mii known as Bean, Sorry I beat your team up with my ink guns and when you were placed on my team a few rounds, good job on beating the other team with ink guns.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Is there any reason to use a roller other than the Krak-On roller? Because it is an extremely good load out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't know what happened but I ended up alone, my comrades deserted me, I had to defend our base with no assistance, I managed to save 10% of the map on my lonesome.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Is there any reason to use a roller other than the Krak-On roller? Because it is an extremely good load out.
I like Beakons but it does mean you give up an offensive sub weapon.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

Regular roller's Killer Wail has earned me many triple/quad kills by pointing it at a chokepoint or spawn. The sticky bombs are pretty good too.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh Regy, that's a name I recognize :v:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Blaziken386 posted:

I'm not looking at the thread for ONE DAY, and it's nearly 500 posts longer.
Y'all fuckers are crazy 'bout squids. :colbert:

Squids are life, frags is hometown.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Alabaster White posted:

Regular roller's Killer Wail has earned me many triple/quad kills by pointing it at a chokepoint or spawn. The sticky bombs are pretty good too.

Usually I get a Kraken right at the start of the game just as Im closing in on enemy ink - its insanely satisfying running from a couple of splattershot dudes and then releasing the Kraken all over their asses.

The killer wall is good too.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Killer Wail is outrageously good in Arowana Mall, but even on that stage I still like the Kraken because it's good for pressing into the enemy base.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh Regy, that's a name I recognize :v:

Greetings

I'm mad that I still haven't gotten to play on Arowana Mall. I don't even know what it looks like yet

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

Greetings

I'm mad that I still haven't gotten to play on Arowana Mall. I don't even know what it looks like yet

It's super fun. Shame I only got one match in before rotation though, would of liked to keep going with a goon.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

There's so many goddamn puns that the blatant ones make you forget to look for the subtle ones.

My husband loves Moe, the clownfish in Annie's hair. Loves him.

I teach school, and on the last day, we watched a movie. I had to say it out loud, but I told him that the fish looked just like the fish in Finding NemOH MY GOD.

Nintendo gonna get sued.

EDIT:

Judge Tesla posted:

To the owner of the Mii known as Bean, Sorry I beat your team up with my ink guns and when you were placed on my team a few rounds, good job on beating the other team with ink guns.

You're a good squid, kid.

Bean fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 30, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's super fun. Shame I only got one match in before rotation though, would of liked to keep going with a goon.

I've sent you a friend request now so feel free to try and find me.

The thing about playing with people on your Friends list is you have to decide whether or not you're feeling patient enough to value playing with someone not random since it usually takes a while. Sometimes you just want to go RIGHT NOW

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 30, 2015

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Just beat the final boss. That was outrageously cool.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
This game is really dope, I forgot how fun third person shooters could be. Added myself to the list. Haven't played much Wii U with friends yet - when someone adds you do you get a friend request?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy Rusty posted:

I've sent you a friend request now so feel free to try and find me.

The thing about playing with people on your Friends list is you have to decide whether or not you're feeling patient enough to value playing with someone not random since it usually takes a while. Sometimes you just want to go RIGHT NOW

Yeah, but hey I got squid jump while I wait to join with whatever random goon I do.

Shame my names so simple, doubt many would actually recognize me :v:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Well, I'm level 10 now. Won some, lost some while trying out the weapons - closest win was with a 0.1% margin. I don't think you can get any tighter than that.

What I've essentially found out that you can't really use only one particular weapon on all the maps. In that sense the map rotations are there to make it easier for you to pick the right kit. I did find some weapons that warm my three hearts, like that long range splatter that has the same range as your common charger.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rorus Raz posted:

Is it weird that I'd be willing to pay for more songs?

Seriously this soundtrack is awesome

It's funny because by all standards I should be annoyed with the music. Same goes with the clothes. I can't stand the real life equivalent of Splatoon's fashion and the styles make me roll my eyes at everyone attempting them. But this game? Everything about Splatoon makes sense in the world and it's all A+++. I've definitely been hit with plenty of Jet Grind Radio vibes in aesthetic and gameplay.

I can't shut up once I start talking about this silly game.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

just curious--how often do you guys win? i have won only one match today and maybe a handful yesterday and game's fun but it's annoying to always be losing

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I had a cool game in Saltspray Rig where I just defended the bottom area the whole time (13-0 :c00l:) and the other three held the top area and we managed to defend both parts the entire game. It'll be interesting to see what the best strategies are for each map when people actually get good

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

TubeStank posted:

just curious--how often do you guys win? i have won only one match today and maybe a handful yesterday and game's fun but it's annoying to always be losing

There are a lot of variables and it depends on whether you have a good team and also how familiar you personally are with the weapon you're using. Like right now I'm trying to learn how to use the roller effectively but I'm pretty bad at it so I'm losing a bunch.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Regy Rusty posted:

There are a lot of variables and it depends on whether you have a good team and also how familiar you personally are with the weapon you're using. Like right now I'm trying to learn how to use the roller effectively but I'm pretty bad at it so I'm losing a bunch.

So you're the one making me lose my games! :argh:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bean posted:

My husband loves Moe, the clownfish in Annie's hair. Loves him.

I teach school, and on the last day, we watched a movie. I had to say it out loud, but I told him that the fish looked just like the fish in Finding NemOH MY GOD.

Nintendo gonna get sued.

Annie's hair is an anemone, too. Wait, that's another pun too :suicide:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Suddenly I'm doing so poorly. Shame on me.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

right, i pretty much stick to the roller or the squirt gun looking thing because i'm okay with those and pretty much always wind up in the top 2 in score for the team, but can never seem to get on a team that wins

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So what are map opinions right now?

I think my favorite is Urchin Underpass, followed by Rig. The only map I dislike is probably the skate park since most of my matches are both teams trying to ink the opponent's side.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Suddenly I'm doing so poorly. Shame on me.

Well we finally won that one!

Rorus Raz posted:

So what are map opinions right now?

I think my favorite is Urchin Underpass, followed by Rig. The only map I dislike is probably the skate park since most of my matches are both teams trying to ink the opponent's side.

The Underpass and the Rig are going right now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I like Arowana Mall, mostly because Seekers are amazingly fun in it, same deal with the warehouse.

Finished up single player, got all the pages. Final boss was a lot easier the second time around. Shame there's no reward for getting everything besides the boss guns.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Rig is deffo the best map out there right now.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm liking Arowana Mall. It's simple but there's something satisfying about the routes you can take. The rig is super fun too but I have yet to get the hang of it. I always find myself running around all over.

I haven't played the other two yet. When does the Splatoon day time actually reset?

TubeStank posted:

Playing with pubs last night I got to level 7 and won probably 60% of the time. Most of my matches were pretty competitive. You probably just had bad luck but getting better over time will always makes things smoother since its 4 on 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

There's nothing more depressing than being the highest scoring player on the losing team

• Locked thread