Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

here's my WTF Michaelsoft thing for the day. I'm copying an 8TB file off a 2012R2 server across the network on smb2, and the network link is 100mbit so its taking a while. at the start of the transfer, the speed spikes impossibly fast to the 90-100MB/s range and then after a few minutes settles down to the 12MB/s that I expect. If I pause and resume the transfer I see the same "speed" burst.

it turns out that when you send a file over SMB2 the OS buffers as much of the file from disk in to ram as it can, in this 40+gb of the thing at a time. that amount of buffering is stupid and isn't helping anything, but whatever. in what has to be the dumbest loving decision imaginable, the transfer speed in the GUI reports the combined speed of the sendout on the network AND the speed that the file is being buffered from disk in to ram. what the gently caress?

huh, so that's what's going on.

it's always nice to know the reasons behind things that piss me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that's not buffer bloat, that's just Explorer measuring how fast WriteFile is returning and interpreting that as bytes per second written to the destination instead of bytes per second dirtied in the system cache (or possibly bytes per second queued to the NIC)

which is dumb UI, but the alternative is doing synchronous writes, which will give you an accurate measurement but kill performance for no good reason

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 30, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i can't update my windows 10 VM. it just freezes at 0% downloaded.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pseudorandom name posted:

that's not buffer bloat, that's just Explorer measuring how fast WriteFile is returning and interpreting that as bytes per second written to the destination instead of bytes per second dirtied in the system cache (or possibly bytes per second queued to the NIC)

which is dumb UI, but the alternative is doing synchronous writes, which will give you an accurate measurement but kill performance for no good reason

buffering using all free system memory is pointless and ultimately counter-productive if it takes an hour to pause the loving transfer. the size of the buffer should be scaling up as the transfer speed on the outbound network connection approaches the speed that the disk is populating cache with. its stupid to have a multi-gig buffer when your local disk is 10x faster than the network link

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

lmao 8tb over smb

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

there are plenty of things to make fun of ms for but smb isn't one of them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it's not a thing you do large file transfers with imo

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

it's not a thing you do large file transfers with imo

smb2/3 handle it just fine, smb1 could as well but you probably wouldn't want to do it over a route hop

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

pseudorandom name posted:

but that isn't a problem with usb sticks and has never been. unlike linux, where the progressbar for copying a relatively large file went to 100% almost immediately and then it took 5 minutes for the copy dialog to actually close.

so why do network drives work differently in windows?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npiG7EBzHOU

p. cool that they got mr plinkett to explain this issue

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

im Microsoft Edging here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i think you meant lmao 8tb using the gui

just use robocopy

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Wheany posted:

but that isn't a problem with usb sticks and has never been. unlike linux, where the progressbar for copying a relatively large file went to 100% almost immediately and then it took 5 minutes for the copy dialog to actually close.

so why do network drives work differently in windows?

because Windows doesn't provide much in the way of an abstraction layer for filesystem drivers and each individual driver does basically whatever it wants

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Luigi Thirty posted:

i can't update my windows 10 VM. it just freezes at 0% downloaded.

works for me installed via boot camp on god's computer, a retina macbook pro

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

also lol, who needs alignment

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows 10

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

pram posted:

windows 10

Free to upgrade for those with legit keys. Though they'll probably do something like $10 to go legit to get people to stop using pirated Windows 7.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol i still cant get over how bad the metro ui is

resizing the window doesn't expand the text area so the name of the update is always cut off

nevermind all of that whitespace. drat i wish i could think of a use for it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also i am still getting used to using a 4k monitor and don't really know how to use it with windows 10 (in vmware) but everything is blurry as gently caress even at native res. i resized that screenshot to 50% just so it wouldn't be megahuge for plebs without a high-dpi monitor but that's pretty representative of the blurriness

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

you probably need to tell vmware to stop scaling everything, and then tell windows 10 to go 200%

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

carry on then posted:

also lol, who needs alignment

Try that again See details

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Phoenixan posted:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Phoenixan posted:

i've worked on lovely enterprise apps with literal tens of users where we put 100x more thought into the ui than that garbage

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
also is that gray box to the top right of the table censoring something, or is that just there? i actually can't tell with microsoft anymore

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
so all the windows updates finished and it rebooted my vm into a black screen. if i reset it i get the normal windows boot logo and then it just boots into blackness, everything i've tried just results in a black screen

gj ms this will definitely be ready to ship in 6 weeks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
actually on that thought everyone at ms who isn't a middle manager or above is probably freaking the gently caress out right now and will be for the next 2 months lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

everybody at microsoft is always freaking the gently caress out, that's part of their culture

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

lol i still cant get over how bad the metro ui is

resizing the window doesn't expand the text area so the name of the update is always cut off

nevermind all of that whitespace. drat i wish i could think of a use for it
you should send them this important windows feedb

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

everybody at microsoft is always freaking the gently caress out, that's part of their culture

stack ranking is a great way to institutionalize narcissistic cover your rear end culture

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeftweeter posted:

so all the windows updates finished and it rebooted my vm into a black screen. if i reset it i get the normal windows boot logo and then it just boots into blackness, everything i've tried just results in a black screen

that's just their new minimalistic UI

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

assing rear end?

rear end work?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

does it automatically censor "gently caress" but not "gently caress"? lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Beeftweeter posted:

does it automatically censor "gently caress" but not "gently caress"? lol

that's weird sql server is case insensitive by default i wonder what their database is lol

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

App Try that again See details

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I'm the guy that is very picky/particular about my OS that is using a beta version.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beeftweeter posted:

i've had this happen before, it's showing the login menu on a different screen

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Stymie posted:

i've had this happen before, it's showing the login menu on a different screen

Sounds like the operating system is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

eric posted:

Free to upgrade for those with legit keys. Though they'll probably do something like $10 to go legit to get people to stop using pirated Windows 7.

• Locked thread