Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zephyrine posted:

How bad is the latency when an EU player is on the US server?

Can you hit anything?

Figure ~80-120ms for EU to US East. So playable, just not ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Sorry this took so long, but I had to learn how to use Python to get things working properly:

:siren:Here's a link to my modpack for 9.8!:siren:

Here are the fonts it uses.

It contains:
- XVM with my own brand of lines on the minimap
- White = Maximum spotting/draw distance and traverse indicators
- Red = Artillery and low tier autoloader range
- Green = View range and camera direction
- 2 seconds protection from shooting at corpses
- J1mb0's crosshair mod
- Server-side crosshair
- 500m zoom out, 16x zoom in
- Scope shadow removed
- Locastan's damage panel, session stats, and team HP
- MeltyMap's damage indicator.
- 2 row tank carousel
- My Metal Gear Solid sixth sense mod (disappears after 9.5 seconds)
- HP bars
- Battle assistant
- Received damage announcer
- Lock-on autoaim
- 15m shoot through bushes safely circle (hold Numpad 0)
- Autoequip binocs/toolbox/camo net
- :tviv: A PENETRATION CALCULATOR THAT USES ARMOUR ANGLE :getin:

It probably also has some other stuff I've forgotten about, but nothing that can get you banned. Let me know if there are any issues.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

This is loving amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZlxGutFLtc

RandomPauI posted:

I'm making another try hard effort at tanks. For starters I've been paying more attention to my surroundings, asking for advice, and watching the tank guide youtubes by Quickbaby and Mighty Jingles. Recently I decided to platoon more.

Even though I'm doing more damage, surviving more, and getting more kills, my winrate for the month is plunging. I'd hate to stop grinding tiers 8 and 9 but those are where I see the most losses.

Would it be better to just try to push forward with the high tier tanks and just accept there'll be a harsh learning curve or would it be better to focus on lower tiered tanks and get good at them before moving on? What are some other things I can do to get better?

It's good that you're actively trying to improve, that's the first step anyone needs to take to actually improve.

Part of improving is indeed the surviving, dealing damage, and getting kills, but there are still other factors at play, including but not limited to the randomness present in this game as well as the shitters (think 5x weekends.) For example, I might be decent, and recently I was winning >70% platooned and >60% solo, but then last weekend I couldn't manage 50% platooned. We did very well in the team battles but just got poo poo on in the randoms. Sometimes it's just like that, and you have to persevere.

The tanks you play can have something to do with your performance as well; low tiers can be tricky because there are many unpredictable brand-new players, and high tiers can also be tough because a lot of terrible players with terrible habits have failed their way to the top. Consequently, playing tier 8 & 9 can be frustrating. There are days when I cannot get a loving win at certain tiers but not others, so it helps to have several tanks to play so you can avoid the temporarily cursed ones. Also, certain tiers like 6 and 8 are nice because you can play those in skirmishes/team battles, and it's usually easier to grind that way.

As far as just getting better (rather than grinding) is concerned, you can probably accomplish this by playing tier 10 exclusively, and focusing on those tanks; your winrate may suffer but you'll be playing in the most controlled conditions possible (where the tiering is least variable, at least within random battles) where you're always top tier so you have the maximum control over your own performance. Sort of a trial by fire, but you should improve because you're getting familiar with the same tank(s) (versus grinding up a line) and how they play on every map.

Other than that, your graphs are all looking good:
http://new.noobmeter.com/player/na/RandomPauI/1000181419/
They all have a positive slope, which means you're a real, improving player versus a reroll, at least according to Hardest. :3:

Blindeye posted:

For my T-34 I am using the higher pen, higher damage gun with slower reload/aim and less accuracy since this tank seems to do better at modest ranges using hard cover (as opposed to my M4 where I try to engage on the run or at extreme ranges). I did reliably okay with the 57 but fewer breakout 1000+ damage games like the bigger gun (I think it is a 76?). I take it I should just go back to that and see what works. It certainly is worth mentioning my T-34 crew is in the low 90s still.

Good news is my win rate without platooning is still steadily climbing from 50 to just about 52%, but I seem to be bottom tiered 75% of the time so I am doing far better in my fast tanks. I am doing more on the awareness front like you suggested and it is payying dividends. I think trying to play all my tanks a little every night is hurting me a bit so I might focus on one or two tanks at least for a little bit. Maybe just do mediums for a while. Is it just that the player base is concentrated around tier VII.

Also, in other news I have almost unlocked the KV-85, should I go that route or the T-150 which I have researched already?

This has already been addressed to an extent by others but I'll throw in my input.

You're using the 76 mm S-54 on the T-34, but the 57 mm ZiS-4 is by far the better gun. The former has slightly better AP pen and more alpha, but that's it; the latter has better handling, DPM, and APCR pen, all by a long ways. Compare the accuracy & aim time between the guns, and there's no contest between the two. The 76 has a little higher alpha at the cost of 20% DPM, which is huge (it's about 1500 vs. 1200.) The 57's slightly lower AP pen is still workable, and the APCR is a massive improvement (almost 70% increase in penetration.) It does indeed suck to have such a peashooter, but even the damage is workable at tier 5; it especially helps that it's accurate enough to hit weakspots. Often in cases where a tank has two comparable guns of different caliber, a consideration is the actual caliber itself due to overpenetration opportunities, but in this case the 57 is just so much better in almost every respect that the smaller shell size doesn't matter. You're still going to be able to overpenetrate some lower-tier stuff, and the 76's handling is poor enough to make hitting thin roof or deck armor unlikely.

One of the tier subsequent tier 6s is the A-43, which has the same two top gun choices, but the S-54 is buffed to be more competitive on this tank (RoF, aim time, and soft stats.) I personally believe it's the better choice despite 10% less DPM, just because it handles so much better on this tank (versus on the T-34, although the ZiS-4 also handles well here) and is less of a peashooter. I've had to use the 57 mm on a lot of different tanks, so having a valid alternative on this one was very welcome. Desuwa disagrees with me on this, but we both did about equally well in this tank so I'd say it comes down to personal preference.

As far as those heavy tanks are concerned, they are basically just upgraded versions of the tier 5s, but thankfully with better guns. The KV-85 is literally just an improved KV-1S, so it has speed but limited armor. It gets a great 100 mm gun (do NOT use the 122, it's heavily nerfed and almost useless!) but you have to deal with only 3 mm of gun depression, which is difficult for new players (it feels like you have no gun depression.) The T-150 is an up-armored KV-1, and plays similarly, but gets a 107 mm gun that's more in line with the 122s that are common on the rest of the Soviet heavies. It's manageable, but has poor accuracy and aim time, so beware of this. Despite all of those caveats, I'd recommend playing the T-150 first as the sluggishness and gun handling will still be easier to deal with than the KV-85's lack of gun depression.

BadLlama posted:

To be a good player it is also imperative to express your sexuality at the beginning of every game.

It's also a requirement of being in PANSY! :eng101:

Fronkey posted:

For serious though, I'm not good enough to have a real opinion or taste in tanks.

I have a Matilda and it's loving awful. It's too slow, the armour is weak and the guns are either super-penny with no damage or bounce gold off everything.

I have a T-26 that is OK. The gun is alright, is okay speed wise but the armour is weak.

Is KV-1 worth the grind?

The Matilda (as long as we're not talking about the Soviet LL version, the premium Matilda 4) is awesome despite being so slow. The gun is accurate and I don't think I've ever fired APCR out of it, and the armor will bounce many of the tanks it sees. It can get poo poo on by tier 6s and some 5s, but it does the same thing to lower tiers so it's all fair I guess. It's basically a tier 4 heavy.

The T-26 is indeed OK, but the BT-2 (and BT-7) is great.

Agrajag posted:

Would you be able to explain this powerline thing? Is it just a simple signal extender?

Agrajag posted:

Is the connection any good? Currently I'm playing on wifi and this powerline things sounds pretty interesting.

It runs a signal along your house's electrical system, and can work very well depending on how your system is wired. Best option is to buy a set from someplace that'll let you return it if it doesn't work for you, but it's definitely worth a shot.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I had severe ISP issues for about a month at one point (THANKS COMCAST) with a constant ping of 200-400. I learned that as long as your ping is constant, you can learn to play around it, it's when you have spikes that it becomes a problem. Obviously there are things you can't do , like peek out shoot and duck back without aiming, but it's doable.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I just had a match where some guy with 38k games tried to brawl his Bulldog with my Type 59 and he bounced just about everything while I killed him. Afterwards I said "ok" in allchat. This made him go absolutely bonkersshitnuts. To which I replied "ok" again. Rinse, repeat.

Although, he did call me a noob. And compared to his colossal 38k games, yeah, I am relatively new. Not gonna debate that!

srb
Jul 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I used to have around 80-100 to the old US server, then 100-110 to US East when the split happened; now I'm lucky to get 140 to US East and 180 to US West.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zephyrine posted:

How bad is the latency when an EU player is on the US server?

Can you hit anything?

what, running screaming from 2pac already? have you even experienced the soundboards yet?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 31, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

srb posted:

I used to have around 80-100 to the old US server, then 100-110 to US East when the split happened; now I'm lucky to get 140 to US East and 180 to US West.

If you want to know more definitively how solid/fast your connections to *all* the servers might be, run a traceroute on these addresses: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Servers

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

TheFluff posted:

what, running screaming from 2pac already? have you even experienced the soundboards yet?

Scotland Forever. ALLAHU ACKBAR. leetcake noises. Truely 2PAC ts is the pinnacle of human communication.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

TheFluff posted:

Of course not. I was just curious. I didn't even know EU players could play on the US server. But even if it was possible then I doubt that the latency would make it very enjoyable.

And 2PAC TS is peculiar to say the least.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Zephyrine posted:

more like full of obnoxious shitlords
(much like myself)

Contrary to popular belief though it's perfectly possible to have sane platoon games going on the 2PAC TS, you just have to be online earlier in the evening, before Chumbly shows up and there's suddenly three different platoons in the same channel, with everyone yelling about pubbies, chemtrails, animes etc etc.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 31, 2015

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
If I get under 150ms from Europe to US East, it's a good day. I float on 180-230 with latency spiking up to 400 semi-regularly.

If it weren't for all the tanks I've unlocked and bought, I'd seriously consider just switching to EU. I may do that, anyway, actually.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

SoUncool posted:

If I get under 150ms from Europe to US East, it's a good day. I float on 180-230 with latency spiking up to 400 semi-regularly.

If it weren't for all the tanks I've unlocked and bought, I'd seriously consider just switching to EU. I may do that, anyway, actually.

Oh you can't bring your tanks across the border? Never mind then. Come join us in the developed world. I'll gift you 100 gold to spend on ammo to murderzone low level pubbies with.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Zephyrine posted:

Of course not. I was just curious. I didn't even know EU players could play on the US server. But even if it was possible then I doubt that the latency would make it very enjoyable.

I played on US servers for years, 120 ping normally but this is pretty much unnoticeable, don't let anyone try and tell you different, people bitching about 100+ ping being the cause of them being bad have other issues.

I only switched to EU as you find very few US players during your main play times, it becomes busier around 1am normally.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I play just fine on US East with a 300 ping, anyone bitching about a lower ping than that is full of it

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Atomizer posted:

It's also a requirement of being in PANSY! :eng101:

Pansy recruitment spam for WoWS.. until you graduate from being a Semen Apprentice you must start every match with the terrible joke in all chat "What is long, black and full of semen?"

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

:psyduck:

E: and right after that he said "felt like a coffee"

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
more WoT connection questions, since that's a topic: I am moving to a rural-ish area where the best I can expect for a connection is 2Mbps. Is there sufficient server-side push in this game (i.e. bandwidth requirement) that this will be implausible to play? Because that'd be a bummer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SoUncool posted:

more WoT connection questions, since that's a topic: I am moving to a rural-ish area where the best I can expect for a connection is 2Mbps. Is there sufficient server-side push in this game (i.e. bandwidth requirement) that this will be implausible to play? Because that'd be a bummer.

2Mbps is fine for playing. Patch days are going to suck though.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SoUncool posted:

I just moved from having 1.5mbit for 5 years and played tanks perfectly fine.

However patch days sucked dick since it would take literal hours to update. I have since moved to 25mbit and :gizz:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Haquer posted:

:psyduck:

E: and right after that he said "felt like a coffee"

If anything, you should have tk'd the scout for not scouting.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Missing Name posted:

If anything, you should have tk'd the scout for not scouting.

He really wanted that coffee though

:coffee:

E: Speaking of scouts, I abhor the loving M5 Stuart. I'm so close to just free xping my way to the chaffee

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I have these premium tanks that I just got for the money and xp. I cycle through them daily. I just drive head long into the enemy guns and then try to take as many of them with me as possible before I die and switch to the next tank.

And every now and then things like this happens. And I swear that more often than not. I contribute more just doing this than a majority of the people who play duck and over behind rocks while taking pot shots at the enemy who are doing the same.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Haquer posted:

I just moved from having 1.5mbit for 5 years and played tanks perfectly fine.

However patch days sucked dick since it would take literal hours to update. I have since moved to 25mbit and :gizz:

Cool. Are there any anticipated issues with having both an NA and an EU client installed? If so, I'll just uninstall, but it'd be nice to have the option. Also - mods. Will NA mods work on EU servers? If not, where do Eurogoons get yours? (mostly just want map mod and sight mod, turnstile would be nice too)

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Why not just get a region changer? Afaik the client is identical across the board (except China) and all your mods work fine regardless of region.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Because I didn't know such a thing existed? And now I do! Yay!

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Atomizer posted:

You're using the 76 mm S-54 on the T-34, but the 57 mm ZiS-4 is by far the better gun. The former has slightly better AP pen and more alpha, but that's it; the latter has better handling, DPM, and APCR pen, all by a long ways. Compare the accuracy & aim time between the guns, and there's no contest between the two. The 76 has a little higher alpha at the cost of 20% DPM, which is huge (it's about 1500 vs. 1200.) The 57's slightly lower AP pen is still workable, and the APCR is a massive improvement (almost 70% increase in penetration.) It does indeed suck to have such a peashooter, but even the damage is workable at tier 5; it especially helps that it's accurate enough to hit weakspots. Often in cases where a tank has two comparable guns of different caliber, a consideration is the actual caliber itself due to overpenetration opportunities, but in this case the 57 is just so much better in almost every respect that the smaller shell size doesn't matter. You're still going to be able to overpenetrate some lower-tier stuff, and the 76's handling is poor enough to make hitting thin roof or deck armor unlikely.

This is why I always enjoy running into pubs with the 76. Also, I'm pretty sure you're massively understating the DPM advantage that the 57mm has. Admittedly mine has vents and a rammer, but I poo poo out one 85 damage shell every 1.94 seconds. I have like 2600 DPM, which is just obscene for tier 5. The top turret brings the base RoF up to ~26. The A-43/44 actually get competitive reloads on the 76mm, so it becomes an option then, but the 57 is a goddamn beast at tier 5 on the T-34.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Atomizer posted:

One of the tier subsequent tier 6s is the A-43, which has the same two top gun choices, but the S-54 is buffed to be more competitive on this tank (RoF, aim time, and soft stats.) I personally believe it's the better choice despite 10% less DPM, just because it handles so much better on this tank (versus on the T-34, although the ZiS-4 also handles well here) and is less of a peashooter. I've had to use the 57 mm on a lot of different tanks, so having a valid alternative on this one was very welcome. Desuwa disagrees with me on this, but we both did about equally well in this tank so I'd say it comes down to personal preference.

As far as those heavy tanks are concerned, they are basically just upgraded versions of the tier 5s, but thankfully with better guns. The KV-85 is literally just an improved KV-1S, so it has speed but limited armor. It gets a great 100 mm gun (do NOT use the 122, it's heavily nerfed and almost useless!) but you have to deal with only 3 mm of gun depression, which is difficult for new players (it feels like you have no gun depression.) The T-150 is an up-armored KV-1, and plays similarly, but gets a 107 mm gun that's more in line with the 122s that are common on the rest of the Soviet heavies. It's manageable, but has poor accuracy and aim time, so beware of this. Despite all of those caveats, I'd recommend playing the T-150 first as the sluggishness and gun handling will still be easier to deal with than the KV-85's lack of gun depression.

I've already switched back to the 57, no worries. The DPS argument wasn't convincing to me early on when I used the T-34 because I didn't find myself out of cover for very long. If I was thinking in terms of single shot, run, reposition, take a shot, the DPM seemed to matter less. Also I had a bad habit of never, ever using APCR unless it was absolutely necessary. Now, not so much (oh but how my credits hurt from it!). My damage per game is climbing still with the 57, despite a horrific day yesterday of mostly tier 7 games I averaged about 470 damage per game so I must be doing something right.

Edit: Oh hey! Mark of Excellence on my T-34!

As for the 85 vs the 150, I was thinking in terms of which heavy line to go up, but this information is definitely useful to know. I already am starting to get used to the awful gun depression on my 1S so the 85 won't be that much of a shock to me, I suppose. I did unlock the T-34-85 yesterday and drat, it has the makings of a nice tank. Today I'm hoping to get the top tier gun for it because the current gun is godawful in accuracy and aim time. But once I get the big gun...:getin:.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 31, 2015

srb
Jul 24, 2007
It's not 1500 vs 1200 DPM for the 57 vs the 76, it's 2200 vs 1200 DPM.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Haquer posted:

He really wanted that coffee though

:coffee:

Fair enough, coffee > WoT.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

RandomPauI posted:

I'm making another try hard effort at tanks. For starters I've been paying more attention to my surroundings, asking for advice, and watching the tank guide youtubes by Quickbaby and Mighty Jingles. Recently I decided to platoon more.

Even though I'm doing more damage, surviving more, and getting more kills, my winrate for the month is plunging. I'd hate to stop grinding tiers 8 and 9 but those are where I see the most losses.

Would it be better to just try to push forward with the high tier tanks and just accept there'll be a harsh learning curve or would it be better to focus on lower tiered tanks and get good at them before moving on? What are some other things I can do to get better?
I stumbled across this video series on youtube that seems like it would be a decent watch for someone who has played a fair amount of tanks but wants to get better with slightly more advanced stuff. Each video seems to both review the tank he is driving and demonstrate some strategy or tactic (the first one is a review of the E50 in which he shows moving towards the middle to help a flank that is getting destroyed and also shows why trying to cap fast on a small map like Himmelsdorf is a bad idea). Also points out his mistakes each match which is nice.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Mission MT-5 which I had lost in the patch seems to be broken. I destroyed a light tank from full health in my T-34 but alas, no mission completion. Am I missing something?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparently I am not good with an IS-7.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Logged in for the first time since 9.8. All I lost was LT-10, no big deal. Then I played one game.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1922056#ensk-byezimyannij-tiger_ii

Would any of you have played this differently than I did? Granted, this was a tier 8 battle, but am I really becoming a not-shitler?

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 31, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.
I like to think of myself as a pretty tolerant guy, but Dekatris: Not Even Once.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

The Southern Dandy posted:

I like to think of myself as a pretty tolerant guy, but Dekatris: Not Even Once.

I dunno he sounds pretty drat sexy. Plus I've heard angry sex is great - and you'd get a lot of angry sex with Dekatris.

e: oh wait you meant platooning with him. Oops.

ELI PORTER
Sep 16, 2007

I posted on Something Awful and all I got was this lousy t-shirt
Replying to randoms who are raging in chat with "relax" serves the dual purpose of both 1) helping me relax and 2) making him rage harded, and I would highly recommend it.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

ELI PORTER posted:

Replying to randoms who are raging in chat with "relax" serves the dual purpose of both 1) helping me relax and 2) making him rage harded, and I would highly recommend it.

This post is excellent. I'll start doing this too, if I ever play again that is :v:

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

Hellsau posted:

I dunno he sounds pretty drat sexy. Plus I've heard angry sex is great - and you'd get a lot of angry sex with Dekatris.

e: oh wait you meant platooning with him. Oops.

Who doesn't like a good hate gently caress once in awhile? But yeah, tooning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Is the HD E-100 more easy to pen? I seem to be taking more penning shots when angling hull and turret than I used to, but that may just be confirmation bias.