Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

muscles like this? posted:

They're making another one.

Seriously? I just peed a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Kruller posted:

Are you going to make your own Frostmourne or get one of the replicas? Also have someone "leading" a horse around for you, or just carry some reins, and when people ask where your horse is, say his name is Invisible.

Definitely planning on making it, hopefully I don't run out of time :ohdear: I had not thought of this horse plan, but now...

Gorilla Salad posted:

That helmet looks like it's made from cookie. Possibly scotch finger.

Hand baked in the ovens of Midgard!

Doesn't it? It's a plastic called worbla and I pretty much always secretly want to eat it when I work with it.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Seriously? I just peed a little.

Don't get excited. It's a top down co-op game with little emphasis on minions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=14&v=Z3dg5u5hUl0

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

McPantserton posted:

Oh man, these guys look badass! But no, not me! Both of my 40k Sororitas costumes are colored for the Order of Our Martyred Lady and this costume looks to be the Order of the Sacred Rose, if I'm not mistaken.

Aaaaand it's still not a finished costume since I posted progress last but whatever, here's what I'm working on now, I just finished this helmet last week! This weekend is leg weekend, haha.

Are you doing the boots? That would be legendery.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Jedit posted:

Are you doing the boots? That would be legendery.

How could I not? I got this fake fur:

and a shitload of quilt batting to make those crazy things as huge as they have to be. I'm actually working on the knee/shin pieces right now.

e. I also have a super awesome plan for glowing eyes! I got the idea from a cosplayer called Obsessive Creative Disorder, I have a bunch of blacklight LEDs on the way to install in the front of the helmet and I'm going to get UV-activated rave contacts. He posted this picture and I can't not have glowing eyes after I saw it.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 20:13 on May 31, 2015

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you want to do good Overlord cosplay, you need to have some children dress up in brown, green, blue and red, and take them with you. If they run away or cause mischief, you can always say that they're method acting.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

McPantserton posted:

I'm going to get UV-activated rave contacts

"from a licensed optometrist" was the end of that sentence, right?

Right? :ohdear:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

"from a licensed optometrist" was the end of that sentence, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Good call! I'll definitely be sure to double-check. Do you have any suggestions for special effects contacts retailers that you trust?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

McPantserton posted:

Good call! I'll definitely be sure to double-check. Do you have any suggestions for special effects contacts retailers that you trust?

Even here in the rural Midwest, I can find an optometrist that can order stuff like that without having to drive more than an hour or so. I'd say ask your friends and family who they see or just do a quick Google search for docs in your area. A simple call to ask "hey do you have those crazy blacklight-reactive lenses?" may just save your eyes!

I'm not trying to be a pretentious rear end in a top hat here--too many cosplayers end up injured because they order stuff online from overseas--yes, they do ask for your prescription, and they do say they'll make them custom, but at the end of the day the manufacturer may not actually be producing a product up to acceptable health and safety standards, and you have absolutely no way of knowing if that box from Taiwan contains something that will be fine or will leave you with cuts or ulcers on your corneas.

I've had both, and I'm telling you right now that corneal ulcers are the worst pain I've been in in my entire loving life. No joke. You can't see, you're disoriented, your face is swollen as gently caress, your head is pounding, your eyes are throbbing, and all the while you're sitting in the ophthalmologist's chair listening to her tell you you'll probably lose your sight.

Lots of people go "well it's cheaper and it's only for one day at a con so I'll risk it" but guys and gals, these are your eyes, not, say, a 3rd-party tail light assembly for your Honda where it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit quite right.

I don't mean to come across as lecture-y and preachy but holy crap if I can prevent just one person from going through that, you can think I'm an rear end in a top hat all you want.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I'm maybe over cautious, but I'd check the wavelength of the UV LEDs you are planning on mounting centimetres from your eyes. UV light can be pretty bad for the eye, and while its unlikely the LEDs are putting out a lot of UVB (or really any UVC I'd assume) I'd double check with the optometrist you are going to be talking to anyway.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
UV light is not something you want shining directly in your eyes. Thank you.

http://www.webmd.com/eye-health/tc/eye-injuries-caused-by-ultraviolet-uv-light-topic-overview

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
When I was at AN last weekend, I went to the washroom adjacent to the dealer's room and found a bunch of girls lined up at the mirror trying to put in contacts they'd just purchased for the first time. One girl dropped a contact on the washroom counter and disregarded a stranger's advice to not jam it back in her eye afterwards.

To stay on-topic, here's the nuttiest costume I saw.

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Lots of people go "well it's cheaper and it's only for one day at a con so I'll risk it" but guys and gals, these are your eyes, not, say, a 3rd-party tail light assembly for your Honda where it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit quite right.

Lucky me, my optometrist I've had since I was 12 is also a huge nerd and happily worked with me on costume contacts. They're not as extreme as some of the ones you can get online but I feel confident enough that they weren't dipped in asbestos, benzene, and donkey poo poo before shipping. Plus he gave me several non-prescription samples to wear with my glasses. I'd rather lack that extra 0.0005% of the look (that can be PhotoShopped later) than risk the only two eyes I have. I've heard of teenagers stacking pairs of contacts on top of each other in their eyes, heeeurrggh :barf:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Lee doesn't have three eyes, 0/10

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

peach moonshine posted:

When I was at AN last weekend, I went to the washroom adjacent to the dealer's room and found a bunch of girls lined up at the mirror trying to put in contacts they'd just purchased for the first time. One girl dropped a contact on the washroom counter and disregarded a stranger's advice to not jam it back in her eye afterwards.

To stay on-topic, here's the nuttiest costume I saw.

Holy poo poo it's Ugin.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My eye doctor is super cool and has already made really great suggestions for me re: my contacts and cosplay so I promise I will talk to her before I jam and/or shine anything into my eyes, guys! :) Can't sculpt so well if you can't see, I need my eyes and I already am very cautious with effects lenses (as in, I only wear them at all if they are REALLY important to the look, I only own 1 pair).

Here's a friend of mine from CosAwesome Studios as Mad Max, I definitely have Furiosa on my shortlist right now too.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SiKboy posted:

I'm maybe over cautious, but I'd check the wavelength of the UV LEDs you are planning on mounting centimetres from your eyes. UV light can be pretty bad for the eye, and while its unlikely the LEDs are putting out a lot of UVB (or really any UVC I'd assume) I'd double check with the optometrist you are going to be talking to anyway.

This is maybe one for the cosplay creation thread, but how exactly does one check that? I've got some UV LED's that claim to have a wavelength range away from UV-B, but I have no idea how to test them on that.

codespace
May 3, 2011

Skyscraper posted:

This is maybe one for the cosplay creation thread, but how exactly does one check that? I've got some UV LED's that claim to have a wavelength range away from UV-B, but I have no idea how to test them on that.

You can get a UV Meter on Amazon for relatively cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Checker-Atmospheric-Light-Meter/dp/B00481APE8

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Thanks! I'll pick one up if I ever try something like what McPantserson is doing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

No jar, Immersion ruined.

He also looks very familiar.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

VendaGoat posted:

No jar, Immersion ruined.

Please tell me it doesn't have to be 100% authentic. Maybe apple juice, or flat beer?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Please tell me it doesn't have to be 100% authentic. Maybe apple juice, or flat beer?

A can of fosters immersed in a jar of strange yellow liquid.

If you ask any Austrailian they'll see only piss.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

Held a little test in the early hours of Denver Comic Con this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XuvNW3sAY

The framing isn't exactly the way I want it, needs to be tighter on the headpiece with more of a view of what's in front of the scoot, but I would love to do this at the next big anime con as a unique way of doing one of those "I managed to get everyone in cosplay at the con" videos.

You managed to capture absolutely nothing of interest so maybe work on that too

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

VendaGoat posted:

He also looks very familiar.

That's the sniper from Team Fortress 2

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Or maybe it's a reference to the ending credits from the show the scooter is from.

https://youtu.be/BTtOUlhL0WQ?t=42s

I know you guys like to play "poo poo on Boomerjinks" but I mean jeez.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

That's the sniper from Team Fortress 2

But who's he cosplaying as?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's actually Spy cosplaying as Sniper.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

poo poo my bad. I probably should have prefaced the video by saying it was a test that was shot during the earliest hours of the con, and I could have made things clearer by mentioning that I would like to reshoot it at the next big regional anime con during actual con hours with the purpose of photographing actual cosplayers in the process.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

poptart_fairy posted:

But who's he cosplaying as?

Snipin's a good job, mate!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cm2iFmASBc

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Boomerjinks posted:

Held a little test in the early hours of Denver Comic Con this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5XuvNW3sAY

The framing isn't exactly the way I want it, needs to be tighter on the headpiece with more of a view of what's in front of the scoot, but I would love to do this at the next big anime con as a unique way of doing one of those "I managed to get everyone in cosplay at the con" videos.

Get a monopod camera stand. It will let you take more consistent photos.

The Repo Man has a new favorite as of 20:32 on Jun 2, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So good.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Perfect

cowboythreespeech
Dec 28, 2008

COSPLAY'd

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ow, my convention lanyard!

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Deviant posted:

Ow, my convention lanyard!

♫ Wave o' manbabies! ♪

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Now I want to cosplay as not one, not two, not three, not five.

Four Gregs!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Deviant posted:

Now I want to cosplay as not one, not two, not three, not five.

Four Gregs!

Ah. Ah. Ah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Grood!
I mean good... and great. Great and good.

• Locked thread