Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Did your Toys R Us have a limit of one character per customer? I think in the long run this worked to my advantage, as since they limited it to one per person there was plenty of stock leftover from Friday's launch

I didn't ask, and honestly didn't care because it feels dirty to buy one just to resell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

andipossess posted:

Until everyone starts ignoring the bottom section. Then you just sit on your rear end feeling like you're no longer contributing. And your team is down one member fighting for everything else.

As soon as you leave it, it's going to be taken over. Just holding that point is important.

Rig feels the most like actual teamwork than any of the other maps, primarily because you have two turfs to fight over, not just an advancing line.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh so you were! You know that list of all the NNIDs should really have included the display names as well since some of you are harder to recognize.

You raise a good point and I just changed my Mii's name. Don't know why it shows your Mii name and not your NNID name in games; that's silly. My Mii's name is (was) my real name.

Whatever! She is now called Ag Falcon so now you'll know who I am. I'm the squid girl with the roller, Kraken-ing all the fools.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I didn't ask, and honestly didn't care because it feels dirty to buy one just to resell

I didn't either, I'm just a casual gamer who has opened pretty much all of the amiibos I have, and only have 1 of each.

I too think it's scummy when people buy more than one, so I encourage when companies do the limit of 1 each, to give filthy casuals like me a chance to find them at MSRP. I only noticed it was one per person as they had a big sign in front of he amiibo display stating the rules and what they had

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't handle those spicy wasabi beats. :negative:

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Suspicious Dish posted:

As soon as you leave it, it's going to be taken over. Just holding that point is important.

Rig feels the most like actual teamwork than any of the other maps, primarily because you have two turfs to fight over, not just an advancing line.

Definitely. I tend to go straight for the top part, but I try to make up for not being a charger with the Disruptors and Echolocator, which makes it a bit easier to hold. Spreading ink is easy with all the high points to charge up a special fast, but it gets pretty boring, even if its important to stay. I should probably start using the C'mon thing cause I tend to have trouble when I'm swarmed with three people and no one comes to help.

I think there are lots of situations where you can contribute a lot and not end up getting as many point, which is really a shame

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So close!

What exactly is the deal with the snail upgrade thing I keep seeing mentioned. I haven't seen anything about it in game.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Speaking of Saltspray Rig, just found out you can throw down a sprinkler on the moving platform over the top area, effectively covering a good portion of the zone without even needing to be there. Taking my sprinkler game to new heights!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kilometers Davis posted:

So close!

What exactly is the deal with the snail upgrade thing I keep seeing mentioned. I haven't seen anything about it in game.

Get snails from the big splatfest events and talk to spyke. He basically takes a piece of gear for one of them and mario kart re-rolls the stats for you or flat out ADDS slots to it so your favorite gear becomes useful.

Was in the direct

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Tempura Wizard posted:

Speaking of Saltspray Rig, just found out you can throw down a sprinkler on the moving platform over the top area, effectively covering a good portion of the zone without even needing to be there. Taking my sprinkler game to new heights!

That is devious.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

So close!

You haven't seen them in game because they aren't available yet. They're the prizes that will be available from the splatfests once they start. Basically you give them to Spyke in the alley and he lets you either add more ability slots to a particular piece of gear or to re-randomize the abilities already on a piece of gear. They're the way you can make your favorite looking gear also be your best ones ability wise.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Speaking of which, everyone's in agreement that Spyke just straight up mugs the inkling with gear you want right.

That's the vibe I get when you special order things and that's hilariously dark thinking about it.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking of which, everyone's in agreement that Spyke just straight up mugs the inkling with gear you want right.

That's the vibe I get when you special order things and that's hilariously dark thinking about it.

You're not a kid if you don't get a hobo to mug some squid's clothes for ya.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Only one per day because he doesn't want to draw attention and risk getting caught

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't handle those spicy wasabi beats. :negative:

You slimy hipster! :cthulhu:

It really is the best final boss fight.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Get snails from the big splatfest events and talk to spyke. He basically takes a piece of gear for one of them and mario kart re-rolls the stats for you or flat out ADDS slots to it so your favorite gear becomes useful.

Was in the direct

In addition, I heard once you reach Level 20 he'll sell them for 30000 coins each. Since Splatfests net you 2-24 depending on how much you play they're a much better way to get them for free, but I'm glad there's a way to get them without having to wait for an event.

Not quite Level 20 myself yet though, can anyone who's reach it confirm or deny this?

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

CatsPajamas posted:

In addition, I heard once you reach Level 20 he'll sell them for 30000 coins each. Since Splatfests net you 2-24 depending on how much you play they're a much better way to get them for free, but I'm glad there's a way to get them without having to wait for an event.

Not quite Level 20 myself yet though, can anyone who's reach it confirm or deny this?

Can confirm you can indeed buy them from him for 30000. Don't know if you can buy multiple yet; I was too poor to afford it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CatsPajamas posted:

You slimy hipster! :cthulhu:

It really is the best final boss fight.

I just beat it. Oh man that was amazing.

Has anyone gotten all their single player gear to max level? I assume there's no reward for doing so since that would be pretty grindy, but I'm curious.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 31, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They'll probably raise the maximum level soon, right? It's not really a good sign that like a third of the people online seem to have hit the cap 2 days after release

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wish there were more than two maps in rotation. I'm sick of ending up on Arrowana Mall which is like the Splatoon equivalent of WWI trenches. Especially when there's an rear end in a top hat sniper camping in a corner blasting everyone and then calling in artillery strikes when he has you pinned down.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Help Im Alive posted:

They'll probably raise the maximum level soon, right? It's not really a good sign that like a third of the people online seem to have hit the cap 2 days after release

Ranked mode works on a different system, so I guess if they add more gear they might, but otherwise there's not a lot of reason to increase it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wish there were more than two maps in rotation. I'm sick of ending up on Arrowana Mall which is like the Splatoon equivalent of WWI trenches. Especially when there's an rear end in a top hat sniper camping in a corner blasting everyone and then calling in artillery strikes when he has you pinned down.

I like the idea but I think they need to tweak the timing of it. I think my ideal set up would be 3 maps and they rotate at the start of each hour. When I was playing today I was ready to stop but then I thought "oh well the maps are probably gonna change soon" so I kept playing. I think that's the kind of thing they were going for but a shorter gap would make the concept work a lot better I think

Thanks Internet posted:

Ranked mode works on a different system, so I guess if they add more gear they might, but otherwise there's not a lot of reason to increase it.

Oh ok I didn't realise that

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I usually use the kracken roller but I just tried out the gold spray paint and its fantastic. Air strikes, mines and awesome coverage. I was regularly hitting 1000-1600 points. Mines are bloody brilliant on the mall stage, lots of narrow passes to exploit.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Do the shops give you different clothes if you're a higher level? They seem to comment on it. I know the horseshoe crab does, I'm wondering about the other guys.

In single player, in the first level with the invisible pathways, they have your ink color as this beautiful mint blue color. I don't think it's avaliable in multiplayer, is it? Why's there just a random ink color that's otherwise unused? Are there other colors in single player that don't come up in multiplayer?

It's so pretty. I'm sad we don't get it in multiplayer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bean posted:

In single player, in the first level with the invisible pathways, they have your ink color as this beautiful mint blue color. I don't think it's avaliable in multiplayer, is it? Why's there just a random ink color that's otherwise unused? Are there other colors in single player that don't come up in multiplayer?

Single player definitely has a couple colors unique to it. I've seen that mint blue and also lavender

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

It feels weird to very consistently get 1000+ points, but see few other people manage the same. I guess I'll be the one to get stomped once ranked arrives.

Regy Rusty posted:

I just beat it. Oh man that was amazing.

Has anyone gotten all their single player gear to max level? I assume there's no reward for doing so since that would be pretty grindy, but I'm curious.

The reward is getting abilities on your gear.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just had a whole bunch of rounds with a Goon in every slot. Super super fun times to everyone that's played. We're all on IRC and we've been shooting the poo poo in between rounds.

So posting this again, because we're all having a blast chattin and splattin. Pubbies suck. Come play with Goons! :argh:

Channel is up to 40+ now.

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 31, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Peewi posted:

The reward is getting abilities on your gear.

Single player gear, not multiplayer gear. The ones you level up by collecting the eggs.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Single player gear, not multiplayer gear. The ones you level up by collecting the eggs.

Oh, I thought you meant the gear you get by beating the single player.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Regy I'm sorry for what I just did to your team.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Regy I'm sorry for what I just did to your team.

I'm trying to figure out how to get good at weapons that don't fire lots of bullets super fast

I'm not succeeding very well. :v:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

this has become Aerospray the Game. please bring on ranked mode so the other weapons have a use.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Yeah aerospray is too good

It's so much fun though

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Evil Eagle posted:

this has become Aerospray the Game. please bring on ranked mode so the other weapons have a use.

If you ain't using .52 gal deco you is a scrub IMHO.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If you ain't using .52 gal deco you is a scrub IMHO.

I am using the deco and splat chargers

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

My man

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never leave the enemy teams side. It is my real home.

Edit: I am a hell roach

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 31, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Peewi posted:

It feels weird to very consistently get 1000+ points, but see few other people manage the same. I guess I'll be the one to get stomped once ranked arrives.

I think this is a symptom of only having Turf War, which is just about painting the floor. In every single game I've played the Aerospray, Roller and Splattershot Jr. consistently topscore regardless of who is using them, and it's probably no coincidence that they spread the most paint the fastest while also being good at killing people. The Aerospray in particular has a nasty habit of just saturating you in ink so you get stuck and can't escape while you're being shot at, it reminds me a bit of old TF2 Natascha.

The Chargers and the other single-shot weapons need either some sort of boot to coverage or some way of earning more points since choosing a non-Aerospray etc is sort of accepting that you're not going to earn any points but you're just here for Fun. I also wish they would tweak how slowly you move in enemy ink because those same guns poo poo out so many blobs of ink it becomes legitimately hard to maneuver around someone firing one. This is Nintendo's first attempt at this sort of game and it's definitely a good one, but the balance on the weapons is really skewed towards volume of fire.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Stay fresh, fuckers

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

REGY DON'T LET ME INTO YOUR BASE

DON'T

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty