Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Elliotw2 posted:

The default fuzz mode in GZdoom is probably closest, though GZdoom has a bunch of Spectre rendering options you can play with until you like it.

Yes but I'm referring specifically to the refraction effect. It doesn't exist in GZDoom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

Sure, after '98 or so, that's probably how it came pre-packaged most everywhere. It's more that I don't buy the argument “it was originally a PC game” because going by the original release version, it would't even be available on windows these days.

The difference between a modern Mac and a modern Windows machine (both of which are almost interchangeable PCs) is far smaller than the difference between a modern Windows machine and the DOS machine Quake originally ran on.

Of course, if we want to talk about the mess that is source port distribution licenses,, then it's a different matter. It kind of leads full circle to the original problem: why do they make it such a faff to get hold of the only part anyone really wants, which is the game data? Wouldn't it be nice if we could just get that from Steam (or wherever) — entirely independently of the platform — and then pick our own choice of binaries to run them with? With more and more classics finding their way onto various distribution platforms, and with already-involved enthusiasts being the most likely audience, wouldn't that just solve a lot of problems in one go?

A modern Mac and a mid-'90s DOS computer, however, have vastly more in common with each other than a modern Mac and an early Power Mac (let alone the early 680x0 models!). Modern Macs can't execute PowerPC code and they can't use the old MacOS9 compatibility layer (which Apple discontinued anyway as part of their planned obsolescence strategy). Even late-'90s OS8/9 Macs can have difficulty running Mac Wolfenstein--Mac software becomes obsolete extremely quickly.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 30, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Segmentation Fault posted:

It'd be cool if you guys added Steam trading cards to the Doom and Quake games. All that's needed are art assets. I want a :cacodemon: steam emoticon.

What about a :shambler: and Quake guy face emotion? :mad:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woolie Wool posted:

A modern Mac and a mid-'90s DOS computer, however, have vastly more in common with each other than a modern Mac and an early Power Mac (let alone the early 680x0 models!). Modern Macs can't execute PowerPC code and they can't use the old MacOS9 compatibility layer (which Apple discontinued anyway as part of their planned obsolescence strategy). Even late-'90s OS8/9 Macs can have difficulty running Mac Wolfenstein--Mac software becomes obsolete extremely quickly.

So? You're basically just confirming the core argument: that the whole “it was originally on PC” argument is bunk.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Woolie Wool is just saying that the difficulty in getting a DOS or Win95 game to run on a modern PC is much lower than the difficulty in getting a Mac game from the same time period to run on a modern Mac.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nition posted:

Woolie Wool is just saying that the difficulty in getting a DOS or Win95 game to run on a modern PC is much lower than the difficulty in getting a Mac game from the same time period to run on a modern Mac.

And my point is: so what? None of the original game versions run of modern hardware, much less modern OSes. The original platforms — all of them — simply do not exist any more, so the argument “it was originally…” is nonsensical and thoroughly irrelevant when it comes to determining what platforms it would make sense to distribute them on today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tippis posted:

And my point is: so what? None of the original game versions run of modern hardware,

No, they do. Should you feel like booting an appropriate volume of FreeDOS, you could play Doom and Quake just fine on a modern Core i7 system, especially as bios/efi these days emulates USB keyboards/mice as inputs dos can understand.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kins and Terminus, I just want to talk about Reelism and Demonsteele all day. :allears:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, they do. Should you feel like booting an appropriate volume of FreeDOS, you could play Doom and Quake just fine on a modern Core i7 system, especially as bios/efi these days emulates USB keyboards/mice as inputs dos can understand.

You don't even have to go that far if you have a 32 bit version of Windows. You can run the DOS Doom.exe just fine on Windows 8, with the exception that the DX10 graphic drivers force DOS fullscreen mode disabled.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm pretty sure you can't run Doom in a DOS prompt window, the latest version of WIndows that natively runs vanilla Doom is Windows XP, unless there's some hack that I don't know about.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't run Doom in a DOS prompt window, the latest version of WIndows that natively runs vanilla Doom is Windows XP, unless there's some hack that I don't know about.

You can't do it in 64 bit Windows, which most installs of Vista/7/8/10 are. On 32 bit versions, when it's run, it automatically goes into a full screen mode when it works (it's quite finicky though).

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Tippis posted:

And my point is: so what? None of the original game versions run of modern hardware, much less modern OSes. The original platforms — all of them — simply do not exist any more, so the argument “it was originally…” is nonsensical and thoroughly irrelevant when it comes to determining what platforms it would make sense to distribute them on today.

Running the WinQuake executable from back during Quake's support period on Windows 8.1 is as easy as, well, running it. Try to run the period Quake binaries on Mac OS X 193408235 or whatever they're up to. It won't work.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 31, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Keiya posted:

Running the WinQuake executable from back during Quake's support period on Windows 8.1 is as easy as, well, running it. Try to run the period Quake binaries on Mac OS X 193408235 or whatever they're up to. It won't work.

That's because WinQuake is a source port, perhaps one of the earliest ones available, which is the entire point: the original DOS version runs as well on modern PC — be they OSX or Windows-based — as the original System7 version does. Both expect hardware and software that isn't there any more.

Not only is the “it was originally on PC” argument not entirely accurate, it is also completely irrelevant to how it has to be distributed today irrespective of the platform.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Tippis posted:

That's because WinQuake is a source port, perhaps one of the earliest ones available, which is the entire point: the original DOS version runs as well on modern PC — be they OSX or Windows-based — as the original System7 version does. Both expect hardware and software that isn't there any more.

Not only is the “it was originally on PC” argument not entirely accurate, it is also completely irrelevant to how it has to be distributed today irrespective of the platform.

Woah, déjà vu

Tippis posted:

Then you're not using the original quake.exe, since it was a spectacular DOS hack through and through, and requires direct hardware access to a level that modern OSes simply will not allow. Well, that, or your brand new Windows computer is runing Win95 and exiting to DOS when you run the game.

If you're talking about WinQuake, then maybe, but it is also not the original: it's a source port that just proves the point.

Woolie Wool posted:

Many copies of Quake came with WinQuake as the default executable. I don't think the OEM copy I once had even had a DOS executable at all.

Johnny Law posted:

IMO that's overly pedantic. WinQuake (and GLQuake for that matter) was released quite quickly, back when id was actively developing Quake. But by the time OS X came out, Quake 1 was deep in their back catalog. Also WinQuake/GLQuake is the product of their own development, while none of the current OS X ports are.

id/Zenimax could attack the OS X and Linux Quake situation on Steam these days if they prioritized it, sure. I think it would be cool if they would. But it wouldn't be free/trivial. I guess I could enumerate all of the licensing, support, compatibility, etc. checkboxes I think they'd need to tick off, but eh. I'm too lazy. :-) (And it would just be speculation anyway.) Calling it pure laziness on id's part, on the other hand, is probably a little wide of the mark.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

closeted republican posted:

What about a :shambler: and Quake guy face emotion? :mad:

Now you've got me trying to find an archive of my old "The Shambler Ate My Balls" page from 1996

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tippis posted:

The original DOS executable runs just fine on a modern PC's hardware, if you boot in DOS/FreeDOS, or if you run a 32 bit version of Windows. I have personally done it. I mean you're stuck with software rendering and the original low resolutions but that's how it was then too.

The original Mac OS executable does not function at all on any modern hardware or software.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010
Speaking of Quake, trying out deathmatch after almost two decades of not playing deathmatch and 189 more ping than I used to have was a bad idea. :v:

Either people have gotten really good at this or I'm rusty beyond repair. Is Quake (Live) the only one people still play? Is FPS deathmatch a thing outside of modern shooters?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Quake 1 is at a sort of Tribes level now where the only people that play it still are so insanely good at the game that you're not going to have fun if you get in.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Bread Pudding posted:

Speaking of Quake, trying out deathmatch after almost two decades of not playing deathmatch and 189 more ping than I used to have was a bad idea. :v:

Either people have gotten really good at this or I'm rusty beyond repair. Is Quake (Live) the only one people still play? Is FPS deathmatch a thing outside of modern shooters?

Though still in alpha (and not really within the strict remit of this thread) the new Unreal Tournament plays like the first.

http://www.unrealtournament.com/blog/

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Reflex, a game based heavily on q3 cpm is also in alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWE-W09Xwc

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Korendian Leader posted:

Reflex, a game based heavily on q3 cpm is also in alpha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtWE-W09Xwc

Goddamn that's just Quake 3 with different models, what the heck.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

The original DOS executable runs just fine on a modern PC's hardware, if you boot in DOS/FreeDOS, or if you run a 32 bit version of Windows.
Is Steam available on FreeDOS? After all, that's why it all got started: how it is silly that modern distributions limit themselves (conceivably on some “original platform” logic) when in fact all modern platforms for distribution will require the same set of work-arounds.

I'll take your word for the 32bit windows, though, but having abandoned 32bit OSes a decade ago, I also wouldn't call that modern.

quote:

The original Mac OS executable does not function at all on any modern hardware or software.
…and as mentioned, that's why you don't use it in modern distribution, but rather (in every case) package the data with a good version with a source port, or just the entire original package with an emulation layer.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 31, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bread Pudding posted:

There's a tiny little "arena FPS" renaissance at the moment, mostly as a consequence of indie game dev, "the long tail", etc. Most will certainly die out, like almost all multiplayer games, but it's fun to watch things bubbling around at the moment. For example the list in the sidebar of http://www.reddit.com/r/ArenaFPS/.

e: although to specifically answer your question about what people are actually playing at the moment, yeah I'd guess mostly Quake Live. The new Unreal Tournament has a shot at player growth/sustaining because of F2P model and name recognition. And there may be some folks still plugging away at Toxikk and Wickland?

JLaw fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 31, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tippis posted:

Is Steam available on FreeDOS? After all, that's why it all got started: how it is silly that modern distributions limit themselves (conceivably on some “original platform” logic) when in fact all modern platforms for distribution will require the same set of work-arounds.

I'll take your word for the 32bit windows, though, but having abandoned 32bit OSes a decade ago, I also wouldn't call that modern.

You can download the game in Steam in windows, then copy the files to a storage device like a CD or whatever to play.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can download the game in Steam in windows, then copy the files to a storage device like a CD or whatever to play.

…if you have windows, which was also the point: it's a pretty silly restriction these days since the game itself is essentially platform-agnostic once you package it for any modern OS.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Okay, we get it. It's stupid to distribute the games as they are being distributed. Can we move on to talking about something remotely interesting now?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

RyokoTK posted:

Goddamn that's just Quake 3 with different models, what the heck.
You can't move like that in vanilla quake 3.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It's Challenge ProMode Arena for Q3A with different models. Because god forbid esports wankers actually learn new mechanics.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Okay, we get it. It's stupid to distribute the games as they are being distributed. Can we move on to talking about something remotely interesting now?

I whole-heartedly agree, and I apologize if I had started this long and horrible detail (though it could have been worse, at least this was on-topic).

Anyway...

Is there anything I can do to make it so the maps in Scythe 2 aren't almost pitch black in a lot of places? I get that some rooms are meant to be dark, but I don't care. I have 'lights.pk3' and 'brightmaps.pk3', but maybe I'm not loading them in in the right order, as they don't do anything. For reference, I'm also using Demonsteele.

It makes the game very not fun to play :smith:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Let me tell you about a new release called Touhou Doom.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there anything I can do to make it so the maps in Scythe 2 aren't almost pitch black in a lot of places? I get that some rooms are meant to be dark, but I don't care. I have 'lights.pk3' and 'brightmaps.pk3', but maybe I'm not loading them in in the right order, as they don't do anything. For reference, I'm also using Demonsteele.

It makes the game very not fun to play :smith:

Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Preferences > Sector Light Mode. Adjusting that can brighten up the entire level dramatically. I usually use Software mode.
Or for DemonSteele, there's a Flashlight key to light up dark places.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Will there be touhou Doom and Demonsteele cross-compatibility?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Will there be touhou Doom and Demonsteele cross-compatibility?
You joke, but Terminus did a full stream playing through Touhousteele with a little compatibility patch he whipped up.

I don't think he much enjoyed the experience, just quietly.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

What are you talking about? Of course it was enjoyable! There were the invasion maps! And the deviantart OC recolors! And the stolen maps! And the complete lack of A_UnsetReflectiveInvulnerable! And the instant-kill attacks! And the one-use-only auto-lock doors! And the broken scripts. And the crashing. And the :downsgun:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TerminusEst13 posted:

Let me tell you about a new release called Touhou Doom.

Options > Display Options > OpenGL Options > Preferences > Sector Light Mode. Adjusting that can brighten up the entire level dramatically. I usually use Software mode.
Or for DemonSteele, there's a Flashlight key to light up dark places.

Awesome, thanks a bunch! And I'll check out that flashlight button next time I'm playing.

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

TerminusEst13 posted:

What are you talking about? Of course it was enjoyable! There were the invasion maps! And the deviantart OC recolors! And the stolen maps! And the complete lack of A_UnsetReflectiveInvulnerable! And the instant-kill attacks! And the one-use-only auto-lock doors! And the broken scripts. And the crashing. And the :downsgun:
So it's not coop compatible then?

EDIT : Awesome, I didn't know there were so many Arena FPSes going on right now! :shobon: I should give them a try and get horribly murdered for a few hours. Brings back memories.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bread Pudding posted:

EDIT : Awesome, I didn't know there were so many Arena FPSes going on right now! :shobon: I should give them a try and get horribly murdered for a few hours. Brings back memories.

Probably want to check https://www.steamcharts.com where applicable. It's really tough finding matches on some of those games especially in North America.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
In regards to classic FPS MP, unless you want to spend lots of time getting your rear end kicked and practicing, its much easier and more enjoyable to grab some bots to play MP. UT99 has awesome bots out of the box, while the Frogbots and Frikbots (Frogbots moreso) for Quake 1 are great.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Bread Pudding posted:

It's playable in Zandronum 3.0, so you could easily throw up a server and play it in bro-op.
I...have no clue how stable it'd be, though. Probably need to slap +CLIENTSIDEONLY on all the effects, at least. v:v:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah. Sorry. :eng99:

closeted republican posted:

In regards to classic FPS MP, unless you want to spend lots of time getting your rear end kicked and practicing, its much easier and more enjoyable to grab some bots to play MP. UT99 has awesome bots out of the box, while the Frogbots and Frikbots (Frogbots moreso) for Quake 1 are great.

I don't remember any more, but how much of the UT99 bots was left-over from Unreal, and how much was bespoke for Tournament? I seem to recall that the U1 bots could be pretty nasty too (but the MP itself was… ehm… less convincing), but they weren't quite as goal-oriented as later versions and only understood variations of deathmatch.

It was kind of fun to try to start a co-op game of Unreal and then add bots — lots of enemies died, but moving forward towards the end goal wasn't really their thing…