Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Luigi Thirty posted:

He used to be jacked. He'd talk about bodybuilding all the time.

I'm imagining Meltzer's head on Scott Steiner's body right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Smoking Crow posted:

He's passable. In journalism how you write is secondary to getting your point across

He can barely even manage that sometimes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I think Meltzer is better than you give him credit for when you consider the sheer volume of words the dude produces while also appearing on podcasts and having a workflow from the 1930s

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
ive heard that all the lesbian cracks dave has made about manami toyota over the years are due to her not being interested in him backstage which may lend credence to the 'dave was an ajw ring rat' story

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Do all the ***** Joshi ratings correlate with who he was banging at the time

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

EugeneJ posted:

Do all the ***** Joshi ratings correlate with who he was banging at the time

It's about ethics in wrestling journalism

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bryan and vinny screaming about the intercontinental championship elimination chamber is must-hear radio

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

ch3cooh posted:

That's not the only that's like a fence post on Dave Meltzer

lmao

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Cardboard Box posted:

bryan and vinny screaming about the intercontinental championship elimination chamber is must-hear radio

did they think it was bad

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

HulkaMatt posted:

Haven't listened yet but they both hated it on Twitter

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think Meltzer is better than you give him credit for when you consider the sheer volume of words the dude produces while also appearing on podcasts and having a workflow from the 1930s

I think he's fine but I also like to use 200 words when I only need 25

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i didnt pay any attention to the IC EC match and now i wish i had

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

HulkaMatt posted:

"This was the worst chamber match ever. This was the worst match in this company in I don't know how long. It was not as bad as Jenna vs. Sharmell. This may have been worse than the Doosmday Cage match from WCW."
"I think it was."
"Yeah the more I think about it I'm pretty confident in that."

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Spermgod posted:

i didnt pay any attention to the IC EC match and now i wish i had

I haven't watched every EC match but it was the worst I've seen. The D2D chamber match was better.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
it was very bad, but the worst match in the company?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Cardboard Box posted:

this is what's going to get me to subscribe for the first time, I think

my main exposure to B+V comes from YouTube videos of them screaming about TNA, so I think I would enjoy this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NickRoweFillea posted:

it was very bad, but the worst match in the company?

It's the worst high-profile match since at the very least Wyatt/Cena in a Cage

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
IC match was very bad, but B&V saying it was worse than the Doomsday Cage from WCW is blasphemy.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

at least the doomsday cage has comedy value going for it

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cactus Jack posted:

IC match was very bad, but B&V saying it was worse than the Doomsday Cage from WCW is blasphemy.

There was a moment in this match where four people stared at each other for thirty seconds unmoving.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Lid posted:

There was a moment in this match where four people stared at each other for thirty seconds unmoving.

That made more sense that like 90% of the doomsday match

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Lid posted:

The Doomsday Cage Match made nearly every heel in the entire company look like an idiot because Hulk Hogan had a massive masturbatory ego trip. This Elimination Chamber match wasn't good, but will do nowhere near the level of damage to business or be anywhere as stupid as the Doomsday Cage match.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

The ICEC was dull and boring and plodding but it wasn't even close to as bad as people are saying. Dolph's Advanced Grappling 301 course was entertaining, Shaemus' Wile E Coyote scheme was neat, his hoss-off with Ryback was fun even though the wrong guy won, and Barret got to look like quite a killer until his unceremonious exit. There have been way worse matches in the last 6-8 months, and at least one or two other Chamber matches ASIDE from the Extreme EC that were worse.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it was really bad

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Cardboard Box posted:

it was really bad

Yes. It was loving awful in fact. It's just not as bad as people are claiming.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sanguinia posted:

Yes. It was loving awful in fact. It's just not as bad as people are claiming.

You mean wrestling fans and commentators are using hyperbole? Never!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Smoking Crow posted:

Where did that rumor come from, I don't think it's true

Dave just told a story where he ran through a monsoon and showed up to the All Japan Women's dorms soaking wet.

What about that story leads you to believe he wasn't nailing the entire roster, c'mon

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

triplexpac posted:

Dave just told a story where he ran through a monsoon and showed up to the All Japan Women's dorms soaking wet.

What about that story leads you to believe he wasn't nailing the entire roster, c'mon

He told a story just last week about how they weren't supposed to drink, and then he'd show up at their dorm and they'd all be plastered.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
It seemed like Henry coming out early was not supposed to happen and they had to do a lot improvising as a result. That made the match interesting to me because Dolph was clearly directing guys throughout, and I find that kind of match quarterbacking genuinely fascinating, especially when you have to change course mid-match. This alone made it more compelling than the botch-heavy women's match, so worst match in the company is a bit much when it was barely worst on the night.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cactus Jack posted:

As bad as it was, Henry being released early kind or utterly hosed up the entire flow of the match just as the match as it just started to get going. It probably would have been a pretty decent match otherwise

Nothing about the Doomsday Cage was good or redeemable in any way.

Nothing.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Dave and Bryan's confusion over Ryback calling Bryan "Dan" after being called "The Ryback" was funny to me.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Muddy Burphy posted:

Dave and Bryan's confusion over Ryback calling Bryan "Dan" after being called "The Ryback" was funny to me.

Everyone needs to refer to Dave as 'Meltz' from now on in emails and calls.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

flashy_mcflash posted:

Everyone needs to refer to Dave as 'Meltz' from now on in emails and calls.

The Meltz > Dynamite Dave

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder if the mailbag would be better if Bryan actually ran the questions by Dave ahead of time so he had time to prepare. Like I'm sure he does have a ton of great stories from his time in Japan, but just putting him on the spot like that maybe isn't the best way to go about it.

Or if he had time to quickly research a historical question, instead of having to remember it all off the top of his head.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Muddy Burphy posted:

Dynamite Dave

That is a trademarked name!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spermgod posted:

ive heard that all the lesbian cracks dave has made about manami toyota over the years are due to her not being interested in him backstage which may lend credence to the 'dave was an ajw ring rat' story

:stonk:

Wrestlers were banging Meltzer?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

other way around.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

gfanikf posted:

:stonk:

Wrestlers were banging Meltzer?

Dave's made offhand references to "All the times I went to the All Japan Womens' house..." when he'd go back & forth to Japan in the early 90's. That & the fact that Japanese women find leather jackets irresistable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I could see one of the joshi women being really into Dave and getting him alone and then him just asking her a bunch of questions about the business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

I could see one of the joshi women being really into Dave and getting him alone and then him just asking her a bunch of questions about the business.

Let's compare this to Gamer Gate.

• Locked thread