Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Black Mage Knight posted:

After getting the scrolls in single player I at first wanted to be sad for Judd, what with him being the last cat alive, but then I realized that he was depicted in the 2000 year old scroll. So he is basically an immortal cat living in a world of fish, and is a massively important part of their society. He is living the dream.
Squids aren't fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So the thing I'm finding with Walleye Warehouse is that coverage is a distant second priority to kills, there. The whole map is constantly contested and easy to paint fast, so sneaking off to paint unguarded areas doesn't work the way it does on, say, Saltspray or Underpass. You must kill to win.

And if your team takes the advantage, you shouldn't ALL rush to start painting the enemy base; keeping them boxed in is fine, but if any one of them slips out, you've left the center unguarded and it can flip colors fast. It might be boring to hang back in the middle when it's already painted your colour, but watching all three routes and picking off enemies who slip out will be worth it.

Anyway I've been getting a dozen kills a match there with the Dual Squelcher so check that out sometime.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Squids aren't fish.
Moe is hiding in Annie's hair for a reason :ohdear:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Squids are carnivores which probably explains the scary fangs that Inklings have.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Painting an enemy base is a bad idea because you're essentially guarded if you stay in the little respawn pond. My team was getting waxed in a game but the entire other team was at the base, so I just threw splat bombs to take area while the rest of the squad worked back towards their base with rollers. By that point, the other team was too preoccupied with retaking our base to see that we had hosed their life up

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

noirstronaut posted:

Painting an enemy base is a bad idea because you're essentially guarded if you stay in the little respawn pond. My team was getting waxed in a game but the entire other team was at the base, so I just threw splat bombs to take area while the rest of the squad worked back towards their base with rollers. By that point, the other team was too preoccupied with retaking our base to see that we had hosed their life up

The issue wasn't that they were spawncamping, it's that they were doing it poorly. If you watch your map you can just back up if someone gets behind you, and boxing them in makes it more difficult (though not impossible) to happen in the first place.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Ok, level 10, I've done my part to unlock ranked. Gonna focus on single player until I get this amazing boss you guys are on about.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Alabaster White posted:

Is that with or without win bonus?

I was thinking average point values are what you actually scored, so 700+ means you're getting 700p during the match or 1000 with a win.

Just some estimation, but maps seem to be about 2000p each. If everyone split the map evenly it's only 250 each. I just had a match where we essentially spawn locked them and I lead the team at 700, just because there wasn't anything more to paint.

For everyone on both teams to hit 700 there was a total of 5600 so a 2000p map was painted over 2.8 times total. Or a little under once a minute. That seems about right, by the end of the first minute the map should have pretty decent coverage.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Keiya posted:

So it turns out you don't actually *have* to do any of the limited ink runs to get the sound test/rhythm game. Though they're an interesting enough challenge I guess, they're just not as fun as running through things as a kraken.

Speaking of limited ink challenges, I need some help on those. They're infuriatingly tough, as I just found out when I tried the Invisible Paths level with that challenge.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Just got Double Damage and Defense up. One shoting people when I shake with the Roller from a far and taking hits that should have splatted me is awesome. Hoping the last 2 slots is one more Damage or Defense.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Champeenship posted:

My Miiverse tale: I post this,

I check back on the people who Yeah'd it, and in what may be sheer coincidence, in around an hour someone else has referenced the exact same Homestar Runner cartoon as me.

He probably ripped you off because the reference is actually: "Dripping Yellow Madness."

EDIT:
I love this game. I want a map editor feature so badly. The core mechanic is such a neat concept for which to design.

Dodgeball fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 1, 2015

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Does the guide mention what bonuses the different brands favour? The cat said that's a thing.

I've only noticed that Inkline gets ink saving(main) and ink recovery often.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

I played 30 matches tonight. I won 28 of them. The things you can do with a Splattershot Jr., special charge +, and ninja squid should be classified as a war crime.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I have that, but decided I was a real man and started using the Aerospray

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I really like that the 1 minute left music is so ingrained now that you can tell how much time is left kind of instinctively by the sound of it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Inkoming Merch

I need all the Splatoon merch in my life asap

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need all the Splatoon merch in my life asap

I'll be happy just having a (decent) t-shirt.

I already have the Splatoon 3DS-theme and amiibo(s) anyway.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

skeletronics posted:

I really like that the 1 minute left music is so ingrained now that you can tell how much time is left kind of instinctively by the sound of it.

Me too! :3

One of my other favorite things about this game is that the ink shooting mechanic is so new to everyone that it's been amazing to see people's strategy develop en masse as we all unlock and discover things and talk about them on the Internets. A couple hours after I read here about the strategy of using that huge ink blaster thing (sorry, forgot the name, but it's that huge cyclone thing), I started seeing it in almost every match, and often near spawn points. We're all figuring out this game at the same time and it's added another dimension of fun to it! Plus, we still have more game modes and maps coming -- the community feel of this game is going to last a long time for me. I love it. I normally play games that are generally standard, singular experiences and this one is so different from that in so many ways. It's amazing.

However I am glad most people I've encountered haven't been hiding in walls waiting to ambush people. I would be fine with that strategy not catching on...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, I'm level 20.

The collective population of this game needs to hurry the gently caress up so I can go play ranked. You're too slow, children of the world!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I want to know more about Splatoon world , I want to collect more Sunken Scrolls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I would be shocked if Splatoon doesn't show up on 3DS at some point between now and the next console.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I would be shocked if Splatoon doesn't show up on 3DS at some point between now and the next console.

If it can run on a 3DS, it'd be an n3DS-exclusive I'd wager. That dynamic ink spray engine would probably pretty heavy on the 3DS's CPU.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Style Savvy Squid Edition?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fly away with me

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I'm still triggered by the fact someone called a squid a fish

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 1, 2015

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Folt The Bolt posted:

Speaking of limited ink challenges, I need some help on those. They're infuriatingly tough, as I just found out when I tried the Invisible Paths level with that challenge.

They're probably the only challenging levels. The platforms exist without ink, so feel free to walk on them. Also, walk anytime you can.

If you're doing really badly, the camera knows whether you're looking at empty space or an invisible platform and the reticle will change when you're staring at an invisible path. You can save ink that way, which is nice for the long narrow pathway.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Don't read my Playsquid: Fish of the Year Miiverse post.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Uh my inkling identifies as a fishkin don't loving shame.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have only two complaints. I really wish it was possible to display the minimap on the TV screen and I desperately want to mute the music so I can play my own poo poo. This is the first time in the history of the universe that I HATE the music in a Nintendo made game. :(

What's the best way to communicate this to Nintendo?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Wildtortilla posted:

I have only two complaints. I really wish it was possible to display the minimap on the TV screen and I desperately want to mute the music so I can play my own poo poo. This is the first time in the history of the universe that I HATE the music in a Nintendo made game. :(

What's the best way to communicate this to Nintendo?

Get enough people who agree with you. I'm not one of them.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Every single stupid-rear end Miiverse post I see an image of is making me giggle like an idiot. I need this game so bad.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I actually like this game's music, a lot, it suits the game's funky fresh 90's feel completely, I'm half expecting Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer to show up as cameos in the future. :v:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Here's a fun fact about the Miiverse: It's locked by region. Because I have a Japanese system, I can only see Japan posts, as it were. Even if I play with other region based goons, and they appear in my plaza, I won't see their Miiverse messages either (nor can they see mine, which is a blessing really). So I am (thankfully) not able to see those hilarious Squidward posts. Instead I get this.

Aye carumba indeed, Bartman.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I should mention that Ika(イカ) is squid in Japanese. So アイカランバ is kind of a pun.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 1, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The games music is sweet. Especially the main theme and the super heavy song.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Blistering barnacles that end boss :psyduck: :perfect:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, given the Shibuya crosswalk-esque design of the hub town, I'm surprised they didn't go with Inkebukuro for the name :japan: :downsrim:.

Also I think my favourite gun right now is the 96-Gal, because it's been loving amazing at splatting pubbies outside the reach of their Splattershots :allears:. Not to mention it comes with the Sprinkler and Echolocator.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently ranked battle, a new weapon and a stage called Port Mackerel are all out tomorrow.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

According to the Splatoon Japanese Twitter, we've hit the requirement for unlocking ranked matches, which will happen tomorrow.

Along with that is a new stage and a new weapon (the N-ZAP85).

edit: what Help Im Alive said above

Merv Burger fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 1, 2015

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of Miiverse posts, I'm disappointed I didn't get a single Yeah! for the Sifl and Olly post I made yesterday.

I'm going with the theory that the majority of the squids/kids are too young to get the reference. Or I'm too old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://youtu.be/RE-orx_HTfE

Jim Sterling on the Splatoon Amiibos.

• Locked thread