Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NowonSA posted:

Also, put me on team "The High Sparrow knew Cersei was evil nobility, but used her to get into power and bring justice to the land." I have to imagine he'd heard the rumors about her incest, since Lancel is a member of the Faith Militant before it's even properly revived and the High Sparrow is likely who he would have confessed his sins to. Even absent a Lancel confession, he's among the common folk and he knows that the Lannisters have not been kind to them.

I can totally see him letting Margaery go with a confession and a pledge to provide food to the hungry or do some other form of charity, he doesn't know for sure that Tommen won't just flip out and send in the troops so he'll want to release one of the two women he loves, and he ain't letting go of Cersei. Loras might have to confess and take some lashes, or pledge to become a knight in service of the Faith Militant, but Sparrow knows that anything truly harsh like, say, forcing him to be castrated is going to seriously piss off the Tyrells, and for all his bluster I think he knows when to make a compromise to bring about proper change. Plus from his conversation with Cersei before he arrests her he seems to mostly care about getting a confession and then arranging a sensible punishment, he seems pretty chill considering we've seen Joffrey order that Dontos drink himself to death just because he looked at him the wrong way.

I'd actually really like a scene with Tommen and the High Sparrow where they just talk things over, Sparrow learns that Tommen is fasting and truly upset, and that could lead to Margaery's release, a lighter sentence for Loras and Cersei not being forced to rot in the dungeons for eternity. It'd also show that Tommen's kind heartedness isn't entirely a weakness, and I think they'll want us to be as sympathetic toward Tommen and his rule as possible before Daenerys shows up and lets her dragon eat him.

The High Sparrow holds a lot of cards - including a potentially legitimate accusation that the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. He can very much turn King's Landing upside down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Dr. Faustus posted:

Truth, & love the Aliens reference. When she sent her daughters off on the boat that was enough foreshadowing for me. I knew she was done for.

Speaking of foreshadowing (as has been mentioned previously), it does seem very telegraphed that the conversation between Sam and Farmer Orphan Boy is going to backfire horribly. The child actor just put too much, "Well... if you say so... in that case... I guess I'll have to [something really impulsive and tragic]" on his face. It wasn't subtle.

Potato kid already did that, when he killed Ygritte. Every scene after he escaped was him being taught by Jon how to kill wildlings, which obviously meant he was gonna kill THE wildling. It'd be a bit lame to have him do that again.

Red posted:

Do we know how Greyscale is passed? It seems like you have to go whole Stoneman before you're infectious.

Shireen got it from a doll, so it seems pretty infectious

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Eh I'm done with Ramsay, dude is a full on cartoon character and has passed the point of love to hate to just being tedious. Also I really wouldn't buy him being some sort of super soldier on top of everything else. Dude sat up north picking wings off flies, he was probably never in a real battle. But he will probably kill Brienne in a one on one fight then spin kick Davos into a campfire then dress up as him and convince Stannis to burn Shireen then trick Melisandre to aim her voodoo at his dad's pregnant wife.

Brienne is not Theon; Brienne would destroy Ramsay in a one on one

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Also RIP Rattleshit, Lord of Boners.

Oh god, how many wights will rise from Rattleshirt?

Elephanthead posted:

Brienne is going to get Rickton killed isn't she?

Is there anything bad about the free folk beside the cannibalism? They seem like my kinda party people. They are best buds with frickin giants and funny as long as you don't do any dick sucking jokes.

They're violent out necessity, but basically compared to shitshow in Westeros, they've got the purest motivation: "hey you locked us out here with these literal godamn abominations". Potato kid's family was feeding their captors; killing them wasn't nice but it wasn't particularly cruel except the Thenns

tooterfish posted:

Well it's not like they're don't play that trick with other characters.

Just look at Jaime. The guy is a murdering loving scumbag, but they're trying to make him more sympathetic all the time. And the Hound, come to think of it.

To be fair, Jaime pretty much realizes he's a murdering scumbag and is trying to not be that (except when Cersei's magic tits get him to go astray). Redeeming a character seeking redemption is different than sympathizing with cruel character because he does some cool poo poo *cough*Stannis

The Hound was born and raised to be a monster, so that he does anything decent at all is nice

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Baldbeard posted:

The whole immediate area south of the wall is mostly uninhabited because of the wildling terror -- and that's the only reason Jon can offer them that land.

Playing the long "lower the real estate values and then swoop in" game eh?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Red posted:

The High Sparrow holds a lot of cards - including a potentially legitimate accusation that the Lannisters have no claim to the throne. He can very much turn King's Landing upside down.

The thing is, if he makes that claim, Stannis Baratheon is the rightful heir, and he's a known heretic and worshipper of the Lord of Light, who literally burns people for holding the faith of the Seven. That means it's not a play he's likely to make unless he's planning on overthrowing the monarchy entirely and instituting a theocracy on official terms.

Admittedly, that could be his plan.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

Try to make out one figure in a crowd of thousands with >50 meter visibility in the middle of a blizzard, try to make an arrow shot in a blizzard, get stabbed to death by fifty zombies, rise and join the horde.

If you've got a better plan we'd all like to hear it!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Zwabu posted:

If you've got a better plan we'd all like to hear it!

Burn them from above. It's the only way to be sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I mean, it's pretty clear that they have control of a lot of King's Landing. Not only do they have political prisoners, but if someone finally gets pissed and send in the guard, it's gonna spark a serious revolt no matter how well it goes militarily.

Is this ambiguous to anyone? We saw Tommen go to the High Sparrow's House, his dudes were like "yo man give the order and we'll just straight up murder every one of these guys" and the only reason Tommen backed off is that he's young and believes that rulers are supposed to Do The Right Thing. Tommen, or any ruler, could wipe out the Sparrows pretty easily (armored knights > robed cultists every time) but anyone who did it would be signing their own death warrant.

It's like saying "Why doesn't Obama just order the army to kill Westboro Baptist Church???"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

you know to this day I don't know what that soldier's point was. I know the point of the line was to make Stannis both badass and a pedant but really it's a war, how many people did he think were going to die?

"They [these soldiers, all of whom would go on to Blackwater for one side or the other] are the children of summer and winter is coming." -Cat

Robb mostly plays grabass with the Lannister armies after getting hella wasted with his vassals one night and declaring a completely untenable independent kingdom which in practice looked more like a confederacy, Baelon Greyjoy is a dog chasing cars who's utterly unprepared for the ramifications of backstabbing his allies, Renly seriously didn't expect anyone to do something unpredictable until his last breath, Joffrey/Cersei well... y'know. Stannis is the only individual who takes the war remotely seriously which is why anyone would want him in a position of power despite pretty much every other characteristic of Stannis' person.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, I think Qyburn's meeting with Cersei was just to foreshadow the Mountain wrecking the poo poo out of the zealots.

"The Work continues..."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ultramiraculous posted:

"The Work continues..."

In a surprise twist Frankenmountain gets up, announces his newly found faith, and becomes a pacifist.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Awesome episode. I was just wondering when we were gonna have this season's equivalent of the Night King baby scene, expanding the scope of the universe and bringing some wonder back to the series.

Given that the seven kingdoms are a completely unorganized/bickering clusterfuck, I wouldn't be surprised if this conflict ends with Westeros being abandoned to the White Walkers. Would fit with Danny's vision of a destroyed/iced over King's Landing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Willie Tomg posted:

"They [these soldiers, all of whom would go on to Blackwater for one side or the other] are the children of summer and winter is coming." -Cat

Robb mostly plays grabass with the Lannister armies after getting hella wasted with his vassals one night and declaring a completely untenable independent kingdom which in practice looked more like a confederacy, Baelon Greyjoy is a dog chasing cars who's utterly unprepared for the ramifications of backstabbing his allies, Renly seriously didn't expect anyone to do something unpredictable until his last breath, Joffrey/Cersei well... y'know. Stannis is the only individual who takes the war remotely seriously which is why anyone would want him in a position of power despite pretty much every other characteristic of Stannis' person.

Yeah Stannis is generally a dickhead who has largely replaced morality with legality, but he can show mercy and he does want to keep order. He's the only potential king in Westeros who isn't a scummy, backstabbing liar (excluding Tommen but Tommen can't handle this poo poo). He worships a crazy fire cult and takes advice from a literal witch but he might still be the best man for the job. That this is true is what makes Westeros so goddamn awful.

Dany should stay in Essos, gently caress this place.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Wafflecopper posted:

Kind of disappointed we didn't get a shot of the giant awkwardly climbing onto a ship and almost capsizing it while the crew are all :stare:

The money they spent on the scene with the one night's watch guy staring at the giant and him saying what the gently caress are you looking at made up for it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The HBO synopsis for last night was "Arya makes progress in her training. Sansa confronts an old friend. Cersei struggles. Jon travels."

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Schizotek posted:

He runs boat insurance, but will gently caress over exceptionally poor people with no social capital. So same deal as modern insurance agencies really. And all men can afford the Faceless Men at great cost.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that is exceptionally loving stupid. Bravos is a free city with a massive temple to death that everybody knows about and is afraid of and will do anything for, where anybody can hire a faceless man to right any injustice, and there are still people living there who think "I'm just gonna swindle the little people, more money in my pocket!"? Bravos would be one of the most crime-free cities in the world. I mean, sure there would be some crime, hungry and desperate people, intoxicated people doing stupid things, brawls and fights, but there wouldn't be any systematic larceny or social injustice.

Xealot posted:

I didn't read it as some maternal instinct crippling her with indecision. I saw it as absolute existential panic, that the enemy was so brutal and inhuman that the gravity of it was paralyzing.

I read it as exceptionally poor filmmaking/storytelling, (along with the telegraphing moment with her children on the boat) regardless of what she was supposed to be thinking. Here you are in the middle of a massive zombie assault, and five zombie children just stand there in a line waiting for her to notice them and have her moment of panic before all running at her at once?

Schizotek posted:

Well they did. Tywins ancestor hosed off to Essos with it and never came back. They're common enough that lots of great houses, even relatively minor ones, have one. But the ones that do have them will basically never, ever sell them.

And yet Baelish is willing to risk his dagger in a bet with Tyrion on a jousting tournament. And Tywin not being able to buy one might be more a case of nobody is willing to sell Valyrian Steel to him. I think it's not that it's impossible to find, and or that nobody remembers how to make it, since Jon's sword is actually relatively new, and the blacksmith was able to work Ned's sword. Just that it's very expensive and since its use against the white walkers has been forgotten, probably viewed by most people as more as an extravagance than anything else.

Also, an in for Gendry's return, since he's probably able to work Valyrian Steel.

JT Jag posted:

Since Valyrian steel swords are in such short supply, I imagine that the only way the White Walker horde can be stopped is with large supplies of dragonglass or large amounts of dragonfire. Which means that regardless of your position on their morality, it's basically a zero-sum game: either Stannis or Daenarys need to win the throne.

Wildfire would work just as well, the Pyromancers aren't dead, are they?

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 1, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
We just learned the secret ingredient to Valyrian steel is dragon glass. Also wilding women with lines can only be killed by children or zombie children.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948

William Bear posted:

I read it more as freezing in terror at seeing zombie children (that she may have known) than any inability to fight kids.

Bobo the Red posted:

Most of those things didn't even have faces, and she'd been fighting shitloads of zombies. It was weird to take the time to establish her as a mother and then have her be unable to fight off a bunch of tiny zombies after she fought off like 10 regular sized ones.

But it's only a small blemish in a loving kickass episode

Elephanthead posted:

We just learned the secret ingredient to Valyrian steel is dragon glass. Also wilding women with lines can only be killed by children or zombie children.

All of you guys are missing a very important point. Those aren't any zombie children. Those are HER zombie children. That's the reason why she's sobbing like crazy and has no will to fight. It was definitely one of the creepiest visuals in the whole series so far.

Petah fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 1, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Also: I think the people who are expecting the Sparrow to show mercy to the Tyrell kids are being a little optimistic. Like, to the point where I gotta wonder if they've seen a scene with the Sparrow at all. Compromise and reasonable half-measures are not one of this guy's core competencies.

the entire point of the scene with the high sparrow and Olenna was to communicate the stupidity of Olenna ordering the common people to let their bretheren in faith starve to death for no reason nobler than her grandkid facing An Consequence of violating some pretty explicit religious custom the lowborn have to deal with every single day. That whole scene is a dusty creaky little old dude quietly saying to one of the most powerful and intelligent people in the world "if you want to make this a fight, lets do it, because i'm going to win because you need soldiers and money and supplies and a lot of things where all I need is a lot of people who all believe the same things and that's it."

if you're noticing a parallel between the *ahem* "simplified logistics" of the White Walkers and the Faith Militant, give yourself a gold star for thematic media literacy!

Android Blues posted:

That means it's not a play he's likely to make unless he's planning on overthrowing the monarchy entirely and instituting a theocracy on official terms.

I mean, yeah. This is basically the birth of the Westerosi Taliban as the rest of the continent terminally dissolves into an even more balkanized, dysfunctional mess.

e; I'll grant that the show even just this season has contradicted itself a bunch of times, but it really feels like the lovely B-squad writing and production wasn't there this last ep so I feel comfortable spitballing about the writing again. I think the rest of this season is gonna be a return to that old Throne Zone magic. Better late than never, I guess. v:shobon:v

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 1, 2015

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

zoux posted:

The HBO synopsis for last night was "Arya makes progress in her training. Sansa confronts an old friend. Cersei struggles. Jon travels."

Whoever writes those is having so much fun at their job.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
So I just remembered that the Lord of Bones was dead when the White Walkers took over. He's going to make the :black101:-est wight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Petah posted:

All of you guys are missing a very important point. Those aren't any zombie children. Those are HER zombie children. That's the reason why she sobbing like crazy and no will to fight. It was definitely one of the creepiest visuals in the whole series so far.

Were they?

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

zoux posted:

Were they?

Yes. She had two girls in hoods who were sent off with the boats. Later in the episode you can see that some of the ships have been wrecked. When she gets swarmed by the kids her daughter is the one biting at her face. Definitely a lovely way to go.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I was pretty confused to whether they were supposed to be her kids or not. They seemed pretty decomposed and I wasn't really paying attention to what her kids looked like when she sent them off on the boat.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Willie Tomg posted:

the entire point of the scene with the high sparrow and Olenna was to communicate the stupidity of Olenna ordering the common people to let their bretheren in faith starve to death for no reason nobler than her grandkid facing An Consequence of violating some pretty explicit religious custom the lowborn have to deal with every single day. That whole scene is a dusty creaky little old dude quietly saying to one of the most powerful and intelligent people in the world "if you want to make this a fight, lets do it, because i'm going to win because you need soldiers and money and supplies and a lot of things where all I need is a lot of people who all believe the same things and that's it."

This is where either the High Sparrow, or the writers are going wrong. The common people hate anyone who is different. That includes other common people. The common people of one of the seven kingdoms would just as soon spit at the common people of another kingdom for inconveniencing them, for not having to endure the same hardships, or a thousand other petty reasons. Seriously, look at all the poor people who are dead-set against welfare and food stamps just because they wrongly believe that the money is coming out of their pockets and going to lazy people from a different background. LMAO if you think the dirt farmers of the Reach care anything about those city-folk from Kings Landing, even if they do share the same Gods.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 1, 2015

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My Q-Face posted:

This is where either the High Sparrow, or the writers are going wrong. The common people hate anyone who is different. That includes other common people. The common people of one of the seven kingdoms would just as soon spit at the common people of another kingdom for inconveniencing them, for not having to endure the same hardships, or a thousand other petty reasons. Seriously, look at all the poor people who are dead-set against welfare and food stamps just because they wrongly believe that the money is coming out of their pockets and going to lazy people from a different background. LMAO if you think the dirt farmers of the Reach care anything about those city-folk from Kings Landing, even if they do share the same Gods.

Kind of like the High Sparrow, Faith Militant, and little sparrows are all OCCUPYING Baelor's Sept, and the HS is whipping everyone into a frenzy against the 1%ers.

Actually, not even whipping anyone into a frenzy. Actually locking up every 1%er he can get his hands on. I'm surprised Queen of Thorns was spared a cell. High Sparrow seemed to have her number, too.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 1, 2015

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

So I just remembered that the Lord of Bones was dead when the White Walkers took over. He's going to make the :black101:-est wight.

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to re-animate a partial dead skeleton? If so then he's gonna be the most schizophrenic wight in Westeros.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago

Holy poo poo lol

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobo the Red posted:

Brienne is not Theon; Brienne would destroy Ramsay in a one on one
Brienne is practically a D&D paladin who somehow wandered into the wrong setting. I half-expect that if she came across Ramsay, she would instinctually know that something was wrong with him and not buy any of his tricks.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Petah posted:

Which makes me wonder, is it possible to re-animate a partial dead skeleton? If so then he's gonna be the most schizophrenic wight in Westeros.
Jojen was stabbed by a crawling torso iirc, so maybe.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Petah posted:

That staff is going to be a chattering skull and it's going to own.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

This is where either the High Sparrow, or the writers are going wrong. The common people hate anyone who is different. That includes other common people. The common people of one of the seven kingdoms would just as soon spit at the common people of another kingdom for inconveniencing them, for not having to endure the same hardships, or a thousand other petty reasons. Seriously, look at all the poor people who are dead-set against welfare and food stamps just because they wrongly believe that the money is coming out of their pockets. LMAO if you think the dirt farmers of the Reach care anything about those city-folk from Kings Landing, even if they do share the same Gods.

Well that's the thing about fundamentalism, it replaces all those old sectarian divisions and says the faith is the one, all-encompassing object. I'm not calling the Faith Militant the Westerosi Taliban glibly; the actual IRL Taliban came to power largely on the basis of the rest of Afghanistan being a patchwork of fiefdoms with tribal warlords tussling over the sectarian bullshit you list, and then saying in effect "listen, we're all of one faith. we might be insanely strict assholes, but we're going to be consistent assholes to everyone instead of just our political enemies" and after 20 years of grinding warfare that position swayed the minds of a lot of people who wanted to walk around Kabul without dodging sniper fire and Katyusha rockets even if it meant that women had to wear beekeeper suits and have male escorts to take that walk.

I think you're correct that Highgarden is the San Francisco of Westeros and represents a little bit of resistance to the fervor elsewhere in the non-North Westeros, but that's largely a function of avoiding the worst of the wars so far (now the Riverlands... that's some prime Faith militant territory, and a breadbasket in its own right.) If Olenna wants to start some poo poo with an army of militarized ascetics who are currently in the process of deposing a monarchy, that situation can get really fluid really quickly. The Sparrow likes fluid, because he doesn't need much and never has and fluid has worked out really really really well for him so far, so he's willing to Go There in the name of enhancing the fundamentalist state. The Queen of Thorns likes money and influence and stability and safety, which require a few more preconditions than the absolutist monastic lifestyle.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ultramiraculous posted:

All this talk of Tormund's "beatdown", and now this. Did everyone but me blink at the shot of him after Tormund had finished?

There was nothing left of his head. It wasn't a "beatdown", Tormund literally stoved the guy's head in. He's not getting back up from that, even as a wight!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

tooterfish posted:

All this talk of Tormund's "beatdown", and now this. Did everyone but me blink at the shot of him after Tormund had finished?

There was nothing left of his head. It wasn't a "beatdown", Tormund literally stoved the guy's head in. He's not getting back up from that, even as a wight!
He had a lot of backup bones.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

tooterfish posted:

If we don't get to see wight Rattleshirt this entire show will have been for nothing.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So if the only way to kill a wight is to crush its head and you make wights without heads, you might be on to something.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Petah posted:

All of you guys are missing a very important point. Those aren't any zombie children. Those are HER zombie children. That's the reason why she's sobbing like crazy and has no will to fight. It was definitely one of the creepiest visuals in the whole series so far.

Uh, what? Her kids were on the other side of the town, in a boat. The dead inside the town were explicitly not raised until after the battle, and even if they were, those kids would be full fleshed and wet.

They were like, on the earliest boats too, why would those get wrecked, they left before the panic.

If that's what they were going for they did a real bad job having it make any sense

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

He's the only potential king in Westeros who isn't a scummy, backstabbing liar (excluding Tommen but Tommen can't handle this poo poo). He worships a crazy fire cult and takes advice from a literal witch but he might still be the best man for the job. That this is true is what makes Westeros so goddamn awful.

Dany should stay in Essos, gently caress this place.

Tommen and Stannis are the only two contenders for the Iron Throne (certainly the only two in Westeros) at this point, so if you eliminate both, who is left?

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 1, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Willie Tomg posted:

Well that's the thing about fundamentalism, it replaces all those old sectarian divisions and says the faith is the one, all-encompassing object. I'm not calling the Faith Militant the Westerosi Taliban glibly; the actual IRL Taliban came to power largely on the basis of the rest of Afghanistan being a patchwork of fiefdoms with tribal warlords tussling over the sectarian bullshit you list, and then saying in effect "listen, we're all of one faith. we might be insanely strict assholes, but we're going to be consistent assholes to everyone instead of just our political enemies" and after 20 years of grinding warfare that position swayed the minds of a lot of people who wanted to walk around Kabul without dodging sniper fire and Katyusha rockets even if it meant that women had to wear beekeeper suits and have male escorts to take that walk.

That's the thing, the Taliban didn't just jump into power because people were tired of the sectarian bullshit. They systematically and deliberately gained popularity by doing what the government wouldn't, then gradually gained military power, then destroyed infrastructure in remote areas to make the people there more reliant on them. And also, despite the Al Qaeda is one big entity narrative, they're not really that well liked outside of their little enclave of eastern Afghanistan/Western Pakistan.

quote:

I think you're correct that Highgarden is the San Francisco of Westeros and represents a little bit of resistance to the fervor elsewhere in the non-North Westeros, but that's largely a function of avoiding the worst of the wars so far (now the Riverlands... that's some prime Faith militant territory, and a breadbasket in its own right.) If Olenna wants to start some poo poo with an army of militarized ascetics who are currently in the process of deposing a monarchy, that situation can get really fluid really quickly. The Sparrow likes fluid, because he doesn't need much and never has and fluid has worked out really really really well for him so far, so he's willing to Go There in the name of enhancing the fundamentalist state. The Queen of Thorns likes money and influence and stability and safety, which require a few more preconditions than the absolutist monastic lifestyle.

That's the other thing about fundamentalism:

Emo Philips posted:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 1, 2015

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Aphrodite posted:

Looks like the white walkers earned more recruits than Jon did.
I love that the Night's King felt the need to send that message, too. Just standing on the edge of the docks all "I want you to know how bad you just lost here, buddy".

They're not just evil, they're spiteful assholes who feel the need to taunt you with just how hosed you are, and I sort of love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

And yet Baelish is willing to risk his dagger in a bet with Tyrion on a jousting tournament. And Tywin not being able to buy one might be more a case of nobody is willing to sell Valyrian Steel to him. I think it's not that it's impossible to find, and or that nobody remembers how to make it, since Jon's sword is actually relatively new, and the blacksmith was able to work Ned's sword. Just that it's very expensive and since its use against the white walkers has been forgotten, probably viewed by most people as more as an extravagance than anything else.

Also, an in for Gendry's return, since he's probably able to work Valyrian Steel.
They can't make new steel, they can only reforge old steel into a new shape... and only three smiths in the entire world can even do that, so no.

Jon's sword isn't new, it just got a new pommel decoration.

edit: psst, I'm also about to blow your mind here... Littlefinger is a lying bastard.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 1, 2015

• Locked thread