Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

apparently it's been a thing since 1936

I thought it was added in the 1990s because of NBA bullshit or something
More derailing but it was part the US team's 1988 Bronze, part the IOC wanted NBA players in, and part the Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc national team players were "amateurs" in designation only because they were getting all sorts of extra perks for playing for the national team that basically made them professionals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Cool great, let's add basketball to the list of poo poo to not talk about in this thread, please.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

chuggo is BACK posted:

rear end poo poo ball

your time to shine...them balls

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

A few pages back, but

Inclusive Superstar International Soccer

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

quote:

@LastWeekTonight 33m33 minutes ago
We've received several inquiries as to whether tonight's show will cover the recent FIFA developments, and to that we say...#NoSpoilers.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I think I'm still the only person in TRP that likes olympic football. It has more parity than the world cup and much more open play and England can't compete in it. It's pretty great.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
John Oliver killed it again tonight. Go watch it now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

John Oliver killed it again tonight. Go watch it now.

oh god i can only imagine

edit:
Describing Chuck Blazer as "an actual bad santa" owns

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jun 1, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I hope it gets uploaded soon so I can watch it, this should be amazing

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kinetica posted:

I hope it gets uploaded soon so I can watch it, this should be amazing

they usually put it up on Monday on Youtube

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Vinestalk posted:

I think I'm still the only person in TRP that likes olympic football. It has more parity than the world cup and much more open play and England can't compete in it. It's pretty great.

I like Olympic football because watching any level of football is cool and good imo

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bogan Krkic posted:

I like Olympic football because watching any level of football is cool and good imo

Same

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Vinestalk posted:

who cares about "parity"?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I like Olympic football because the Olympics is the only time of year I even remotely give a poo poo about sports and I go all in for those few weeks.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I like Olympic football because the Olympics is the only time of year I even remotely give a poo poo about sports and I go all in for those few weeks.

then why are you posting in this thread??????????????

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

NattyBo posted:

"Diamond" Jack Warner has released a facebook video in response to the allegations. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=836427333110960

He cites The Onion as a serious source. It's pretty hilarious.

Video is now here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rhLFDF516Q

Who in their right mind would give Warner a blank cheque?
also Anne-Marie makes a good breakfast apparently.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

corn in the fridge posted:

DON'T talk to me about : sports

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

Hey everybody, first time soccer watcher but I am a HUGE fan of the United States Department of Justice and Internal Revenue Service. Just wondering who I should pick as my team if I want to root for the soccer equivalent of the Eastern District of New York Attorney's Office? Thanks, bye.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

vyelkin posted:

Hey everybody, first time soccer watcher but I am a HUGE fan of the United States Department of Justice and Internal Revenue Service. Just wondering who I should pick as my team if I want to root for the soccer equivalent of the Eastern District of New York Attorney's Office? Thanks, bye.

NYCFC obviously

edit: gently caress NYCFC

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

vyelkin posted:

Spurs

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Vinestalk posted:

Remember young Messi and the Iraqi team that told George Bush to gently caress off? Priceless.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Games Games Games Games *clicks post history* uuh yeah that's the stuff

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

ronniegardocki posted:

who cares about "parity"?

People who like to see two teams playing really well against each other?

Mr. Mambold posted:

Remember young Messi and the Iraqi team that told George Bush to gently caress off? Priceless.

OP, there are some great olympic memories. Neymar crying after losing to Mexico and Cameroon's gold medal run are pretty good, too.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

John Oliver on Last Week Tonight is prepared to make some serious sacrifices for Sepp to go away.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

lol

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

John Oliver on Last Week Tonight is prepared to make some serious sacrifices for Sepp to go away.

I hope if Blatter does eventually get slammed by the DoJ, he drinks the bud light lime wearing those shoes

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
The Visa World Cup of Soccer brought to you by Coca-Cola and Doritos.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Enrique Sanz of CONCACAF has been banned from football related activities, as have Congolese FA vice president Jean Guy Blaise Mayolas and general secretary Badji Mombo Wantete and I didnt even make that name up.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Can anyone translate for this ignorant monolingual Englishman?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Ninpo posted:

Can anyone translate for this ignorant monolingual Englishman?

he makes the world as wide as he likes it, i think. there might be a double entendre on the second part but dr. google just brings up the pippi longstockings song.

credentials: i got a B in german over a dozen years ago.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
The NY Times is reporting that FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was the official that made the $10m transfer to Jack Warner in exchange for the South Africa votes.

quote:

Federal authorities believe that Sepp Blatter’s top lieutenant at FIFA made $10 million in bank transactions that are central elements of the bribery scandal engulfing international soccer, United States officials and others briefed on the case said Monday. The revelation puts the money trail closer to Mr. Blatter, FIFA’s president, than had been previously known.

Jérôme Valcke, the soccer organization’s secretary general, is the unidentified “high-ranking FIFA official” who prosecutors say transferred $10 million in 2008 from FIFA to accounts controlled by another soccer official, Jack Warner, the officials said. The payment is a key piece of last week’s indictment accusing Mr. Warner of taking a bribe in exchange for helping South Africa secure the right to host the 2010 World Cup.

The $10 million payment, made in three wire transfers in January and March 2008, is described in the indictment in paragraph No. 192 and has prompted questions about which top FIFA executive was responsible. “Definitely that is not me,” Mr. Blatter said last week after he was re-elected as FIFA’s president and reporters asked if he was the unidentified official. “I have no $10 million.”

The charges, which were unsealed last Wednesday morning in United States District Court in Brooklyn, coupled with the arrests at dawn of several high-ranking FIFA officials at a luxury hotel in Zurich, were stunning even by the standards of international soccer, which has been dogged by allegations of corruption for years. Swiss authorities also raided FIFA’s headquarters as part of a separate investigation into how FIFA chose the host countries for the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.

Mr. Valcke, of France, has previously been involved in financial controversy. He joined FIFA in 2003 as its marketing director but was fired in December 2006 after a New York judge ruled that he and others lied repeatedly in negotiations with MasterCard and Visa over a sponsorship deal.

“The fact cannot be overlooked that FIFA’s negotiations breached its business principles,” FIFA said in its news release at the time. “FIFA cannot possibly accept such conduct among its own employees.”

A federal appeals court threw out the ruling the next May. The next month, days after FIFA reached a settlement with MasterCard, Mr. Blatter chose Mr. Valcke to be secretary general, the organization’s No. 2 post. Mr. Valcke was never charged with a crime in that case.

In an interview with the Sunday Independent, a South African newspaper, Mr. Jordaan said the timing of the payment proved that it could not have been a bribe. “How could we have paid a bribe for votes four years after we had won the bid?” he said.

American prosecutors, however, say the bribery scheme played out over several years. In 2004, as FIFA’s executive committee considered where to host the 2010 World Cup, South Africa’s government agreed to pay Mr. Warner and others $10 million in exchange for their votes, according to the indictment.

Mr. Warner voted for South Africa, but in the months and years after the vote, South Africa was unable to pay. So rather than take a payment directly from South Africa, the indictment says, FIFA itself paid Mr. Warner in 2008, using money that would otherwise have gone to South Africa to support the World Cup.

In effect, the indictment says the bribe was paid on the back end of the deal, so South Africa received $10 million less from FIFA than it otherwise would have.

Mr. Jordaan said the money was sent to the accounts of Concacaf, a FIFA entity that oversees soccer in North and Central America, as part of South Africa’s effort to support soccer there. Mr. Warner was Concacaf’s president at the time and controlled the accounts. Prosecutors say he took much of the $10 million for his personal use. Mr. Warner has maintained his innocence and said the United States brought the charges because it lost the bidding to host the 2022 World Cup.

FIFA announced Monday that, “due to the current situation,” Mr. Valcke would not attend the opening of the Women’s World Cup in Canada next week. “It is important that he attends to matters at FIFA’s headquarters in Zurich,” the organization said in a news release.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/s...ibery-case.html

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

trem_two posted:

The NY Times is reporting that FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke was the official that made the $10m transfer to Jack Warner in exchange for the South Africa votes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfTiYun47rg

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Antares posted:

he makes the world as wide as he likes it, i think. there might be a double entendre on the second part but dr. google just brings up the pippi longstockings song.

credentials: i got a B in german over a dozen years ago.

That's it Pippi Langstrumpf -> Seppi Blaustrumpf

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

trem_two posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/s...ibery-case.html

Yeah, he needs to stay in Zurich for administrative reasons, totally. Not because he would be a hilarious distraction to the WC or anything :lol:

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The Telegraph is saying UEFA plans to upstage the World Cup

Good loving joke

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
They should just invite the big teams like brazil, argentina, usa, and trinidad and tobago to the euros

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The Euros are a better tournament anyways. Plus, didn't they just expand the Euros to a hilariously large number of countries? They might as well go whole hog and follow up on Tom's idea and invite/bribe non-corrupt South American and African nations to join in instead of San Marino or whatever no vowels country was going to be there..

Straight knockouts. No groups. No Russians. Fun for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

All UEFA has to do to kill the World Cup is essentially host the Euros in 2018, expand it to 32 teams like Platini wanted to do all along, and bring in the big countries to round it out. A writer on ESPN keeps saying that UEFA isn't likely to do that because it would cause a rift and amount to the rich countries giving the poor countries the finger and saying "You don't know how to govern yourselves," which is actually the truth in all of this and what needs to happen. If the big, rich countries aren't calling the shots then football is doomed to the current bullshit we have now.