Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

I don't care about the cheesiness of the sword scene, i will just assume XCOM finally started a machete squad.

I don't know why I haven't seen the Carapace Armor/Xtacles link before now. I almost have to go back and play the original again just to have that story play out in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Insert name here posted:

You know, flying base is cool and all but not going to lie, part of me was hoping the secret XCOM base would be underwater, from which you launched terror attacks against the megacities. A "Terror from the Deep" if you will. :haw:
oh god that missed potential :argh:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MrDorf posted:

I don't know why I haven't seen the Carapace Armor/Xtacles link before now. I almost have to go back and play the original again just to have that story play out in my head.
The new sectoid-human hybrids look like Killface too. Xcom 2: Welcome to you're doom!

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
Regarding XCOM 1, anyone not like the Long War mod?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Most common complaint I've seen is the war is too long, but most every other idea gets great praise.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Lotish posted:

Most common complaint I've seen is the war is too long, but most every other idea gets great praise.

at this point I've seen someone post for and against basically every part of the mod, I don't think it's quite that universally "good except for length." "good except for length when you ini edit out the parts that truly annoy you which will differ from person to person," maybe :v:

Personally I don't care for it, but other people live and breathe Long War. Thankfully it's a free mod, so you lose nothing but the time it takes you to try it out.

e: if you are posting in an XCOM thread in 2015, two years after EW came out, you might be enough of an XCOM fan that trying it out is a good idea.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 1, 2015

Renounced
Nov 8, 2005

POSTING ON THE INTERNET

Mr. Hand posted:

The air game use to be kind of bullshit in b13. Everything else was pretty much golden.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Mr. Hand posted:

Yeah plenty of people aren't big fans, or like it overall but have serious problems with specific parts and/or particular releases. I like it a great deal myself but I can totally dig that it's not for everyone.

I can't imagine what XCOM2: Electric Boogaloo is going to do with full-on mod support. We won't even need XCOM3 & Knuckles if it's comprehensive enough, though assuming 2 works out and builds on the first, a further continuation will be very welcome.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its gonna be weird how you were able to convert and run an alien supply barge yet still start out with conventional guns.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I am really hoping that the connection between XCOM EW and 2 isn't "XCOM lost the initial 2015 invasion, deal with it". I saw the site about "Earth surrendering" and really hope its just not explained well at this point.

They have so much potential for good ideas. Either the big bad threat Ethereals mentioned comes back or Ethereals decided to cozy up with Earth's governments Final Conflict style after they lost the invasion. Its way more plausible to assume that Ethereals or the Big Bad subverted humanity from within by selling humans the Gene therapy tech through Advent corporation, then to completely discard all the progress players made in XCOM EU/EW. This would also make more sense since the theme of the game this time around is essentially cyberpunk with aliens.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Captain Gordon posted:

I am really hoping that the connection between XCOM EW and 2 isn't "XCOM lost the initial 2015 invasion, deal with it". I saw the site about "Earth surrendering" and really hope its just not explained well at this point.

They have so much potential for good ideas. Either the big bad threat Ethereals mentioned comes back or Ethereals decided to cozy up with Earth's governments Final Conflict style after they lost the invasion. Its way more plausible to assume that Ethereals or the Big Bad subverted humanity from within by selling humans the Gene therapy tech, then to completely discard all the progress players made in XCOM EU/EW.

It's based on your first attempt at Classic/Ironman.

You lost. Bad.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Deuce posted:

You lost. Bad.

That's the joke that was made on the 2K dev twitter, but is that canon?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Gordon posted:

That's the joke that was made on the 2K dev twitter, but is that canon?

yes

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

That makes me incredibly sad :(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im glad of it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Classic + Ironman is the only way I ever played this game from day 1.

Good stuff. Took 17 attempts to get my first win though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ZearothK posted:

I like the theory where the purpose of the alien invasion was to test if humanity had the potential for psionics strong enough to be The Volunteer, so beating back the invasion caused the real fleet to arrive.

I thought the Ethereal ship was the last remnant of the leaders back when I played EU, so no backup fleet there.

I also figured the point of the invasion was to brute-force abduct as many people as possible for human experimentation to get someone Volunteer-worthy. And since XCOM was filled with the biggest badasses on the planet, it just so happened you were the ones who pulled it off with stolen tech.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Deuce posted:

You lost. Bad.

My first attempt at Classic/Ironman was the first time I ever played the game, and I won. :shobon: Anyway though yeah I think there's a lot more scope for something interesting than just "You lost sucks for you", and I don't think we could have been completely stomped because we obviously had the resources to hijack and convert that big loving ship and keep it hidden and running for two decades.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mister Adequate posted:

My first attempt at Classic/Ironman was the first time I ever played the game, and I won. :shobon: Anyway though yeah I think there's a lot more scope for something interesting than just "You lost sucks for you", and I don't think we could have been completely stomped because we obviously had the resources to hijack and convert that big loving ship and keep it hidden and running for two decades.

Well, you don't lose when you're completely stomped. You lose when the council stops supporting you. You can be super ahead, have tons of money/tech/resources/supersoldiers and still lose because the Council has been subverted.

In that light, having an XCOM with Firestorms and poo poo that only really lost because the council was infiltrated could be cool as poo poo and would explain how they have tech/an alien ship.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Getting a massive Syndicate vibe from the trailer.

I love it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

I seriously would not be surprised if Vahlen's grafted herself into the Avenger somehow, or uploaded her mind into the ship's computer to take control.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I've spent something like 700+ hours with the new XCOM. ~200 in EU including an ironman impossible run, ~200 in EW, and ~300 in Long War.

I can't wait :allears:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

tarbrush posted:

Getting a massive Syndicate vibe from the trailer.

I love it.

I am not, wish I was though.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

First gameplay reveal will show it's actually a dating sim. :allears:

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

isn't that what goons always wanted?

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Can I date that swole rear end sectoid?

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

fargom posted:

Can I date that swole rear end sectoid?
Screw the sectoid; it's all about dat snake tittay

Oh my god it all makes sense now

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I wonder if the you Ethereal from The Bureau is the antagonist of X-Com 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I assume they're just going to pretend The Bureau never existed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Noticed a screen on the site that no one had posted yet:

Looks like you'll actually be able to start/play the missions in stealth mode, at least up to a point. So seeing an enemy won't always auto-activate them.

"Yeah, I took my daughter to the gene-smelters last year. She's looking real green around the gills if you know what I mean, but man her performance in class shot through the roof afterwards."

"Really? I might schedule a session for Billy after this next payday. Hey, what's that over there...OH GOD HE'S GOT A SHOTGUN AND A MACHETE!"

Also noticing: nationality tags (in a post "unified" world, guess some people are clinging to the past or whatever), and the data for the actual shot being ON THE SCREEN NATURALLY instead of having to hit a separate button to display why the hit/crit %s are X or Y against certain targets. Also, i wonder if melee weapons are going to basically be a new sidearm, kinda like in L4D2.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Nice, i like it, a specially the flying base (probably), real MARVEL Agents of Shield vibe from it. Suddenly it's okay that the Long War developers are retarded. Hopefully Firaxis takes some of their good ideas to heart.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

well this is going in the op when i redo it

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

Also noticing: nationality tags (in a post "unified" world, guess some people are clinging to the past or whatever),

I'm wondering if maybe not everyone is completely on board with Advent and national divisions still linger on some level. A possible gameplay mechanic that jumps out at me is manpower being a very limited resource until you start infiltrating/liberating nations and can draw on them for recruits.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ImpAtom posted:

I assume they're just going to pretend The Bureau never existed.

I played that game, your hat could get shot off and I would run out of cover to pick it back up. Only one time I ended a mission without my hat and then I couldn't find it in my office anymore. :( Turns out you lose it after that mission regardless due to costume changes. It was a fun cover shooter but yeah their initial decision to lead with it was a huge mistake.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

I'm wondering if maybe not everyone is completely on board with Advent and national divisions still linger on some level. A possible gameplay mechanic that jumps out at me is manpower being a very limited resource until you start infiltrating/liberating nations and can draw on them for recruits.

That's kinda what I was imagining. It's really easy to explain away as a sort of gang tag to wear the flag of a former nation. Worn by violent XCOM terrorists...and rebellious teenagers that make the occupying forces roll their eyes.

"Yes, yes, I can see you're a...Wyoming national. Now get home before curfew or else you'll spend another weekend in detention Timmy. In fact, I think I'll call your mother right now. And...Wyoming? If you had to chose one of the 50 states, couldn't you chose one of the actually influential ones like Texas or New York or California at least?"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
OP is updated with what little we know of the new game and Kewpuh has been a bro in acceding to my request for an appropriate Revengence/Snake Tit marriage of a topic line. All is well!

All the previous OP stuff is now in the couple of spare posts I had reserved at the beginning of the thread, so Enemy Within and Long War are still 100% OK topics for this thread!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I do like that the floating base is just an upscaled skyranger.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alkydere posted:

Noticed a screen on the site that no one had posted yet:

Looks like you'll actually be able to start/play the missions in stealth mode, at least up to a point. So seeing an enemy won't always auto-activate them.

"Yeah, I took my daughter to the gene-smelters last year. She's looking real green around the gills if you know what I mean, but man her performance in class shot through the roof afterwards."

"Really? I might schedule a session for Billy after this next payday. Hey, what's that over there...OH GOD HE'S GOT A SHOTGUN AND A MACHETE!"

Also noticing: nationality tags (in a post "unified" world, guess some people are clinging to the past or whatever), and the data for the actual shot being ON THE SCREEN NATURALLY instead of having to hit a separate button to display why the hit/crit %s are X or Y against certain targets. Also, i wonder if melee weapons are going to basically be a new sidearm, kinda like in L4D2.

Yeah this makes me think machetes are for stealth kills because guns are loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PseudoFaux
Oct 9, 2012
What was the point of losing my god sniper if we somehow lost anyway? Can this be hoax and just a dream already?

• Locked thread