Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
By god I finally did it. I beat boss rush with the lost.

By getting guppy with 9 lives by Caves 1, death's touch, pentagaram, and whore of babylon, by necropolis one, infestation 2, and finally a lucky broken stopwatch on the rush itself, but WHATEVER!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster
So I'm at a losing streak of -86 normal mode

am i bad at this game

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

ImpAtom posted:

They want to be witnessed, obviously.

Great. Now I want a Fury Road-themed item with a silver mouth effect....or Nux's lips....or Immortan Joe's mask......hell anything would kick rear end.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Watching Balls of Steel is removing any notion I had that I was good at this game.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I decided to check out the God Mode mod today. It's definitely more interesting than Savior Mod and a lot more difficult but I wouldn't call it particularly great. Almost every enemy has significantly more health, which is supposed to be balanced by buffing some items and making items a little more prevalent but it doesn't really seem to work out so great, you're still going to end up spending 5 minutes fighting particular bosses despite having a solid load out. The rooms also pack more enemies in them, item rooms will more often than not have bosses and traps in them, and you will see a lot of enemies on floors way earlier than they would normally show up.

One weird thing is that they changed Transcendence to give you the little rope like the Greed dudes you encounter in later levels. They also changed it to "The Noose" and the text that comes up when you get it is "Free at last".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jibo posted:

They also changed it to "The Noose" and the text that comes up when you get it is "Free at last".

:smith:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Mr. Hand posted:

So I'm at a losing streak of -86 normal mode

am i bad at this game

My recent habit of trying to do Lost hard runs late at night in bed have me at like -500. Including the one where I got 40+ coins in the first level, netting me both the stopwatch and Blank Card from the shop which I loving blew by deciding to switch positions while a (slowed) Gemini walked towards me.

I'm doing so great at this

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Testekill posted:

There's going to be looping like in Nuclear Throne.

Is there really? So many runs I've wanted to keep playing. :allears:

Also I tired Eternal Edition for the first time. That mode is just cruel, not super hard, just cruel.

Mr. Hand
Apr 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Bobo the Red posted:

My recent habit of trying to do Lost hard runs late at night in bed have me at like -500. Including the one where I got 40+ coins in the first level, netting me both the stopwatch and Blank Card from the shop which I loving blew by deciding to switch positions while a (slowed) Gemini walked towards me.

I'm doing so great at this

My last run I got some item that gave me access to the 'secret room' on every floor. I'm thinking of just repeatedly loading up this seed until I beat the game.

Would that be cheating?

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

Mr. Hand posted:

My last run I got some item that gave me access to the 'secret room' on every floor. I'm thinking of just repeatedly loading up this seed until I beat the game.

Would that be cheating?

it's cheap, but it's what a lot of people do. get D6 for isaac before you do that at the very least so you can reroll and save time running treasure rooms

e: oh lol I thought you meant just holding R until you get a treasure room

Literal Nazi Furry fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 1, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

Mr. Hand posted:

Would that be cheating?

seeded runs don't give you unlocks.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Hand posted:

Would that be cheating?

Like someone said, beating a seeded game doesn't count.

On top of that, it's not cheating, but it is kinda useless. It's easy enough to find the secret room on every floor using no more than a few bombs if you know where to look (it's almost always surrounded by three, sometimes two, other rooms. In each of the surrounding rooms, the secret room wall is directly accessible without flight or bombs. The super secret room, which tends to be less useful, never touches more than one regular room, that's any room without a special map icon.)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mr. Hand posted:

Would that be cheating?

The X-Ray Specs/Spelunker Hat/Blue Map all do that, and always having access to the secret rooms means very little. An item like Brimstone can make a run, X-Ray Specs do not.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Like someone said, beating a seeded game doesn't count.

On top of that, it's not cheating, but it is kinda useless. It's easy enough to find the secret room on every floor using no more than a few bombs if you know where to look (it's almost always surrounded by three, sometimes two, other rooms. In each of the surrounding rooms, the secret room wall is directly accessible without flight or bombs. The super secret room, which tends to be less useful, never touches more than one regular room, that's any room without a special map icon.)

I would argue the super secret is often more useful than the secret room in Rebirth. You can get the room with a black heart quite a bit and if you need to protect your red health to keep your devil deal chance high that is really nice.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Xeras posted:

I would argue the super secret is often more useful than the secret room in Rebirth. You can get the room with a black heart quite a bit and if you need to protect your red health to keep your devil deal chance high that is really nice.

Yeah. And if you have Lovers card or Hematemesis pill (or the Jar :v:) you can spawn more black hearts in there.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Watching isaac streams like Richard Hammer has taught me new ways you can break the game. He was doing a friendly race and was woefully under itemized. Got a god room, took scapular and had a habit from a previous item shop. Abused habit + scapular + his D6 to get an eventual god head and the mind. Then on the next floor he rolled a guppy's head into the paw to get his 3 touch and beat the last 5 floors in about 2 minutes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

omeg posted:

Yeah. And if you have Lovers card or Hematemesis pill (or the Jar :v:) you can spawn more black hearts in there.

I keep forgetting that this is a thing.

Does the Hema pill lower your chances of a devil room appearing, though?

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I keep forgetting that this is a thing.

Does the Hema pill lower your chances of a devil room appearing, though?

No.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
From what I can tell, anything that takes red hearts before soul hearts does not decrease your chances of getting devil deals.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I just had a run that was Guppy + Sacred Heart + Godhead along with every other damage up. My one regret was passing over Hive Mind on the second floor.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

BJPaskoff posted:

I just had a run that was Guppy + Sacred Heart + Godhead along with every other damage up. My one regret was passing over Hive Mind on the second floor.

Did you win?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Vic Boss posted:

Did you win?

I didn't lose momentum walking through rooms because I was holding down the arrow keys and the door instantly opened because the aura was bigger than the room.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

loving hate this game.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

wyoming posted:

loving hate this game.

Nowhere in the game is there a more appropriate use of the "crying on floor as boss is revealed" screen than this one.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
A simple Afterbirth update: the Rag Man.

Just what this game needs, bosses that can self-heal and raise their adds en masse. And you might run into him in a crawlspace.

And any idea what the tag "jzfK" might refer to?

IMJack fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 2, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IMJack posted:

And any idea what the tag "jzfK" might refer to?

Half a seed with the rest to come later?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Ugh. Beat Mom with plenty of time to spare for the Boss Rush, running around the darkened boss room picking up stuff, and I accidentally run into the hole leading to the next level, without picking up the Polaroid or Negative.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wyoming posted:

loving hate this game.

Doesn't the question mark on the forehead mean that you have "There's Options"? Doesn't that mean Conquest will spawn with the Pony and the meatball?

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

wyoming posted:

loving hate this game.

That really needs to be a middle finger Conquest is tossing your way.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
why do people hate conquest so much? i dont think ive unlocked him yet. (im really bad at the game)

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

VideoGames posted:

why do people hate conquest so much? i dont think ive unlocked him yet. (im really bad at the game)

Unlocking him will be the biggest regret you'd make in this game. That, and unlocking The Cellar.

To get a certain achievement, you need to find 4 cubes of meat and 4 balls of bandages (all 4 of either in one single playthrough).

Conquest's spawn area is where the last cube/ball could be. However, he doesn't drop a cube/ball, he drops his own stupid useless item.

People's grief comes from spending hours trying to reset until getting a likely Meat Boy/Bandage Girl run, only to have it ruined 30 mins later by facing Conquest instead of a proper fourth horseman (Death).

Vic Boss fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 2, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

VideoGames posted:

His item drop is unique, and isn't the cube of meat or ball of bandages, so if you're trying to get Super Meat Boy or Super Bandage Girl it fucks you over after you've already gone through all the seven floors to the womb I boss room, full of hope and dreams.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

IUG posted:

Doesn't the question mark on the forehead mean that you have "There's Options"? Doesn't that mean Conquest will spawn with the Pony and the meatball?

On bosses that have their own drop pool, there's options spawns 1 item from that pool, and another from the standard boss pool.

it would be really good if that were the case, but alas.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I wouldn't mind Conquest at all if he dropped his item and the cube/ball drop as if you had choices.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Lowen SoDium posted:

I wouldn't mind Conquest at all if he dropped his item and the cube/ball drop as if you had choices.

Does the shop item There's Options affect Conquest drops? Like the standard White Pony obviously but does it give another horseman drop like the cube or bandages? Or just a random drop?

ed: vvvvvvv ah drat was phone posting from work earlier and missed that..My bad

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 3, 2015

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

bucksmash posted:

Does the shop item There's Options affect Conquest drops? Like the standard White Pony obviously but does it give another horseman drop like the cube or bandages? Or just a random drop?

two posts up

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just said "gently caress it" and did the Monster Manual method. My setup was Pyromaniac, Sharp Plug, Humbling Bundle, Piggy Bank, Pyro, and a Burnt Penny. Rerolled the Depths 2 item room until it showed up, then started making monsters for 30 minutes straight.

I think I had at least 5 of every familiar when I was done.

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

You're pretty good.

QuantaStarFire posted:

I just said "gently caress it" and did the Monster Manual method. My setup was Pyromaniac, Sharp Plug, Humbling Bundle, Piggy Bank, Pyro, and a Burnt Penny. Rerolled the Depths 2 item room until it showed up, then started making monsters for 30 minutes straight.

I think I had at least 5 of every familiar when I was done.

It's the TRUE way to unlock that crap.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just died in a Lost run vs. Isaac while using the Stop Watch.

My current feelings on the matter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8eF_Lo-IRE

That said, I unlocked Platinum God earlier today, so The Lost is the only major thing left to accomplish.

I'm wondering if having all the achievements is worth it... :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I just setup my own steambox with 2 wireless xbox 360 controllers and a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo. Whenever I play Isaac, the 2p randomly drops in, even though I am certainly not pressing anything outside of my controller. If I press enter on the keyboard, he drops out. I tried turning the keyboard off, but it doesn't prevent the random drop in - it just prevents me from dropping him out. As you can imagine this has ruined several games.

Is there a way to disable drop in coop? Or is this a known issue?