Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Rip Taylor owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Rip Taylor owns

Rip's never killed a single jew!

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Turning the bad geography gag on the US itself was great. I actually knew the time he did it before but gently caress me if I knew where Nebraska is.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

I'm trying so hard right now to picture John drinking a bud light lime and not immediately grimacing in contempt. I don't think he has the acting chops to pull it off, nor do I think he's even biologically capable of doing it.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Turning the bad geography gag on the US itself was great. I actually knew the time he did it before but gently caress me if I knew where Nebraska is.

When it popped up this time, I knew something was off, but I'll be hosed if I could remember where Nebraska was supposed to go. As soon as it landed in the right spot, I was like, "Oh, yeah... I guess there are two Dakotas."

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I took a journalism 101 class in college that was really old school "do yer research or gently caress off" ethos that has largely died away.

We had a surprise quiz on day one - a blank map of the middle east that we had to fill in the country's names. The results were so dismal that we re-took the test a second time a week later, and even in advance we still did terribly. Our professor had us take the quiz a third time a month later, and this time provided a list of the countries.

I know kids from that program who STILL bitch about that quiz.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

bobkatt013 posted:

He is even willing to drink bud light lime!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Great episode, as usual. The fascination of some Asian countries with Hitler is surreal.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bobkatt013 posted:

He is even willing to drink bud light lime!

He must really hate Blatter to be willing to subject himself to that. I'd rather drink maybe Dr. Pepper compared to Bud Light lime, maybe.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Also the scientology joke. This show is so so great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I could see the pope slam getting a lot of people mad.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I hope the "NP: Not suitable for popes" warning is before LWT for the rest of all time.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

bull3964 posted:

I could see the pope slam getting a lot of people mad.

gently caress em, to be honest.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pope Francis is alright and nobody should be surprised the church is not a loving bastion of progressive thought. seems like a stupid goddamn target especially when Francis has been cleaning house and modernizing the church so aggressively.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Narcissus1916 posted:

I took a journalism 101 class in college that was really old school "do yer research or gently caress off" ethos that has largely died away.

We had a surprise quiz on day one - a blank map of the middle east that we had to fill in the country's names. The results were so dismal that we re-took the test a second time a week later, and even in advance we still did terribly. Our professor had us take the quiz a third time a month later, and this time provided a list of the countries.

I know kids from that program who STILL bitch about that quiz.

that's pretty pathetic considering how the middle east only has like 7 countries in it

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hemophilia posted:

Pope Francis is alright and nobody should be surprised the church is not a loving bastion of progressive thought. seems like a stupid goddamn target especially when Francis has been cleaning house and modernizing the church so aggressively.

Except when it comes to gay rights

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

it's your fault for expecting a perfect progressive icon to rule the church not his for failing to meet that standard lol

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

bobkatt013 posted:

He hasn't been responsible for any real changes but he's still better than the last guy: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/mar/13/pope-francis-lgbt-issues-rights

quote:

This all changed on 13 March 2013, when [Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio] was selected as pope. I made my way to the cathedral that day, photographing jubilant worshippers flocking to the building, even if their now famous leader was in Rome, waving from a balcony. I myself was struck by the fact that I now knew the man in the Holy See, something I could never have dreamed possible. I assumed that Pope Francis would be the same as Bergoglio, backwards on LGBT and other progressive issues, his church sliding ever more into irrelevance. But was I wrong. Bergoglio as Francis fooled me. Indeed I believe, he fooled us all.

While not changing doctrine, the pope made his famous declaration: “Who am I to judge?” in reference to gay clergy. He has spoken of including the children of gay families and the divorced in communion. He met and embraced a transgender man, Diego Neria Lejarraga. I know through social networks that he has met with members of the Argentine LGBT community, though whether those were merely handshakes or more substantial occasions isn’t clear to me. What is clear is that we could never have imagined Pope Benedict XVI, Joseph Ratzinger, doing the same. Yet nor could I have ever imagined Archbishop Bergoglio, the very same man in different vestments, doing the same either.

To be fair there's plenty of skepticism, validated by The Vatican's reaction to the Ireland vote, but his gestures are progress all the same.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

hemophilia posted:

it's your fault for expecting a perfect progressive icon to rule the church not his for failing to meet that standard lol

Actually it's the pope's fault for still being a homophobic old poo poo, and it's a perfectly valid criticism

Gay civil rights isn't exactly the cutting edge of progression

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Krowley posted:

Actually it's the pope's fault for still being a homophobic old poo poo, and it's a perfectly valid criticism

i'm not going to try to divine his intentions but even if he felt a different way, pushing an institution as old and famously conservative and reactionary as the church would necessarily be a loving slow thing and homosexuality is probably a step too far for a huge chunk of the church and its parishioners. They'd have his head or create a schism over something like that, probably.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

hemophilia posted:

His church's spokesman calling what happened in Ireland a "defeat for humanity" is a bit worse than "not perfectly progressive."

If you're saying that it's silly to expect anything else, you have a point. But predictable reprehensible behavior is still reprehensible behavior. And it's worth pointing out, as there are plenty of people who have been confused by Francis's easygoing public image.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I was hoping he would go into the RICO portions of the FIFA cases but oh well. That seems to be the most interesting tidbit on what is to come with the trials.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm honestly surprised it was the main story of the night, I figured they'd have something planned from before for the long story.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Krowley posted:

Considering that the Defense of Marriage Act was passed less than 20 years ago, gay civil rights really are on the cutting edge.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I hope the Bernie bit continues it was pretty great.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It appears Thai people are a bit upset about the Hitler segment, judging by the comments here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWNbekZVyKk

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timett posted:

I hope the "NP: Not suitable for popes" warning is before LWT for the rest of all time.

Hah, was it actually on the start of this one?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It appears Thai people are a bit upset about the Hitler segment, judging by the comments here

Apparently it's all just some real hipster irony, a totally funny joke, but what about Buddha, I don't do it so why are you picking on me, never happened. 555

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

quote:

John, you know what we all know who the gently caress was he and we dont even give a gently caress with the history or what he did. they picked Hitler because it was kinda fun to us. ohh and we are not that stupid like you bitch your show is so boring. YOU KNOW NOTHING JOHN OLIVER!

Hahaha.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Thailand fought on the opposite side of the war from Hitler, although they were fighting mainly against Japan, so I could understand them not really knowing what Hitler's deal was.

I don't know, maybe Hitler registers as a pop culture figure to them because of his prominence as a villain in media produced in the west?

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

IRQ posted:

Salt Lake City made money, if that's a metric to go by. I believe a bunch of their facilities are used for training a lot by the US teams still.

Thanks Mitt Romney (Not really)?

SLC generally did a pretty good job with facilities. For example they built some of the the ski jumps a something like a decade in advance and were already using them for training, and the opening/closing ceremony venue and the Olympic Village were upgraded replacements for University of Utah facilities that already had uses (football stadium/dorms).

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

Thailand fought on the opposite side of the war from Hitler, although they were fighting mainly against Japan, so I could understand them not really knowing what Hitler's deal was.

Actually Thailand pretty much cooperated with the Japanese and declared war on the Allies. This happened under threat of invasion by Japan and a guerilla resistance movement formed with government support, but still, Thailands WW2 history isn't exactly clean.

Why Hitler and "Nazi Chique" are such a thing in East Asia I couldn't tell you, but if we're generous and say it's because they are ignorant as gently caress about this then that still doesn't make them look good.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

but if we're generous and say it's because they are ignorant as gently caress about this then that still doesn't make them look good.

Then we're right there in the poo poo with them, most westerners are ignorant as gently caress about Japan's actions during WW2 (with the exception of Pearl Harbour). We don't care about their side of WW2 and they don't give a poo poo about ours, it's perfectly fair.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I don't know how far under a rock you have to be buried to be ignorant of what Japan was doing to china and southeast asia, since WW2 is one of the areas Americans get fairly well schooled in, pacific and european fronts. Japanese internment camps get glossed over but the parts where our enemies were horrible shitheads does not ever get skimmed.

That doesn't mean we [the royal we, i personally do] give a poo poo. But even the dumbest redneck will acknowledge hearing that stuff as far back as middle school.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Let me give you the Scandinavian version of that middle school lecture.

Something something oil -> pearl harbour -> the US forced into the war -> Hiroshima :downs:

Gloss over doesn't even begin to describe sheer amount of information and context that is left out simply because we didn't participate in that part of the war.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Xoidanor posted:

Then we're right there in the poo poo with them, most westerners are ignorant as gently caress about Japan's actions during WW2 (with the exception of Pearl Harbour). We don't care about their side of WW2 and they don't give a poo poo about ours, it's perfectly fair.

If true (I wouldn't know, Dutch history covers the theatre in at least some detail for obvious reasons) then it's still not comparable unless we start using Hirohito in our marketing or start wearing Unit 731 inspired fashion.

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

This episode was probably one of the funniest this season. Loved all the segments. I love his passion for foootball and his hate for FIFA.

I am liking Thailand less and less. First the news about them refusing to take in any Rohingya migrants even when Indonesia and Malaysia already agreed to. And then this Hitler thing. Oh, let's not forget this insane worship of their king. You're off the my bucket list Thailand.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Orange Devil posted:

If true (I wouldn't know, Dutch history covers the theatre in at least some detail for obvious reasons) then it's still not comparable unless we start using Hirohito in our marketing or start wearing Unit 731 inspired fashion.

None of that is nearly as stylish as Nazis. Which is probably one of the biggest reasons they're so popular. If we didn't have gently caress Nazis deeply embedded in our cultures, and didn't have a vast supply of grandpas with war stories about fighting Hitler or grandpas/grandmas with Holocaust stories, I could maybe see Nazis having a chance at culturally being more than evil incarnate.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

MikeJF posted:

Hah, was it actually on the start of this one?

I dunno. I doubt it. Would have been pretty awesome though. I imagine they wouldn't actually start messing with that stuff because then it cheapens the ratings as a useful tool.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Gyges posted:

None of that is nearly as stylish as Nazis. Which is probably one of the biggest reasons they're so popular. If we didn't have gently caress Nazis deeply embedded in our cultures, and didn't have a vast supply of grandpas with war stories about fighting Hitler or grandpas/grandmas with Holocaust stories, I could maybe see Nazis having a chance at culturally being more than evil incarnate.

Pretty much. Especially in Europe, which of course got the direct end of Hitler's ambition stick, there is very much the cultural recognition of how horrible that was and why you can't touch it without very clearly intending to vilify or belittle the Nazis as a result.

But in South East Asia its more of an academic understanding than a personal, cultural one. Especially when you also consider that most of their media is produced by and for themselves, the people who would be particularly offended aren't in Thailand. To an increasingly globalised west that's a massive oversight, but not necessarily the case outside of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Astro Nut posted:

Pretty much. Especially in Europe, which of course got the direct end of Hitler's ambition stick, there is very much the cultural recognition of how horrible that was and why you can't touch it without very clearly intending to vilify or belittle the Nazis as a result.

But in South East Asia its more of an academic understanding than a personal, cultural one. Especially when you also consider that most of their media is produced by and for themselves, the people who would be particularly offended aren't in Thailand. To an increasingly globalised west that's a massive oversight, but not necessarily the case outside of that.

I guess as a point of comparison you could look at how they talk about Pol Pot. He might not have gone around conquering people like Hitler but he was still horrible and much more local to SE Asia. I don't actually know how he's treated there but that might be a good barometer on their attitudes towards genocide in general.

Also see how he's talked about in the west (or rather, see how he's basically just "a dictator" to us and that's about it).

• Locked thread