Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

maybe we're all racist

I'm serious though, I edited my post a bunch of times because I do actually think that being unable or unwilling to empathise with non-humans is indicative of a pretty serious emotional or mental issues. Of course it scales but there's no way functioning empathy switches off as soon as you decide they're not human.

Well, you're wrong. I edited my post after you'd replied, so I'll re-paste what it was:

"Empathy is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes."(Bellet, Paul S., and Michael J. Maloney, 1991).

Get Shrekt.

Animals aren't people by any stretch, and I'm totally well adjusted functional member of society *twitch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Zetsubou-san posted:

time for more Leunig! :v:

This is almost Fred Basset levels of :geno:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pickled Tink posted:

I apologise. I should be more empathic to your position.

*empathetic. You'd think you'd be better at grammar considering your love of words.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Splode posted:

Well, you're wrong. I edited my post after you'd replied, so I'll re-paste what it was:

"Empathy is the capacity to understand what another person is experiencing from within the other person's frame of reference, i.e., the capacity to place oneself in another's shoes."(Bellet, Paul S., and Michael J. Maloney, 1991).

Get Shrekt.

Animals aren't people by any stretch, and I'm totally well adjusted functional member of society *twitch*

You ever done like source analysis man

quote:

The Importance of Empathy as an Interviewing Skill in Medicine
Paul S. Bellet, MD; Michael J. Maloney, MD
JAMA. 1991;266(13):1831-1832. doi:10.1001/jama.1991.03470130111039.

What makes their position on empathy the definitive one, given that as it comes from the greek it's just passion or compassion towards another's suffering? And in English it's perfectly common to use it for either humans or animals

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

You ever done like source analysis man

m8 I just copied it from wikipedia and stole the reference so it wasn't "wikipedia"

You ever done a university assignment in a rush man

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Someone put the machine on Splode, I think he might be Nexus 6.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

I don't give a SINGLE gently caress about turtles.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051108000045

quote:

Empathy-related responses to moving film stimuli depicting human and non-human animal targets in negative circumstances

Research supports an “ingroup empathy hypothesis” of higher empathy-related psychophysiological responses towards individuals of the same ethnicity. However, little research has investigated empathy-related responses to non-human targets graded for phylogenetic relatedness. Participants (N = 73) were presented with film stimuli depicting humans, primates, quadruped mammals and birds in victimized circumstances. Phasic skin conductance responses (SCR) and subjective empathy-related ratings to the film clips increased as phylogenetic similarity to humans increased across animal groups, revealing an empathic bias towards human stimuli. Participants also completed a trait empathy scale. High trait empathy participants gave higher subjective empathy ratings than moderate and low trait empathy participants. Low trait empathy participants showed less corrugator electromyographic activity than moderate and high empathy participants. The moderate trait empathy participants showed higher SCR than the high group. The results confirm an effect of phylogenetic similarity in subjective self-report and psychophysiological measures of empathy-related responses. Additionally, convergence between subjective and objective measures of empathy-related responses was observed.

tl;dr sliding scale of empathy based on self-identification with the victims that does extend beyond human/non-human line

also, lol

quote:

Chimpanzees empathize with group mates and humans, but not with baboons or unfamiliar chimpanzees.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24619445

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back, Splode. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Splode?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Endman posted:

You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back, Splode. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, Splode?

thought it was a desert boat

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301051108000045

tl;dr sliding scale of empathy based on self-identification with the victims that does extend beyond human/non-human line

also, lol

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24619445

Fine science boy, you win.

I do in fact get upset when I see shock images of animal cruelty, etc.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Endman posted:

Because I'm trying to prove a point about empathy to win an argument on the internet, of course.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Splode posted:

Because I'm trying to prove a point about empathy to win an argument on the internet, of course.

Ironically the one person you forgot to empathise with.....

.... was me

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont eat meat and therefore, I am superior to you. Here is a long list of reasons why *farts into own mouth*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
On the subject of empathy, I have been playing a neutral evil, racist, socially inept, otaku elf WHIZZARD for over a year now. Most of my interactions with other sentients are based on how useful or valuable or threatening they are to me. I have recruited a gleeful psychopath and a highly impressionable teenager as my minions. I am actively plotting against the other party members and am part of some kind of illegal depraved anime club. From an in-character perspective, empathy is highly overrated.
:goonsay:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Laserface posted:

I dont eat meat and therefore, I am superior to you. Here is a long list of reasons why *farts into own mouth*

Laserface this is a terrible strawman and you're a loving awful poster.

chug piss until you die

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I sometimes eat vegetarian food because it's nice and often cheaper.

Tony Abbott bad.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Laserface posted:

I also get all my opinions from south park, who wants to slap my balls with a skateboard while i jerk off in a burger king cup

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

On the subject of empathy, I have been playing a neutral evil, racist, socially inept, otaku elf WHIZZARD for over a year now. Most of my interactions with other sentients are based on how useful or valuable or threatening they are to me. I have recruited a gleeful psychopath and a highly impressionable teenager as my minions. I am actively plotting against the other party members and am part of some kind of illegal depraved anime club. From an in-character perspective, empathy is highly overrated.

Hasn't your character died a bunch of times?

Shadeoses posted:

I sometimes eat vegetarian food because it's nice and often cheaper.

same

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

I thought this was an abbott joke and I was trying to figure out who the impressionable teenager was

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I didn't miss the dawg did I

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I also get all my opinions from south park, who wants to slap my balls with a skateboard while i jerk off in a burger king cup

You are like a Red Text generator dude. You have a gift.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

Hasn't your character died a bunch of times?

I died once and it turned out that the afterlife is just your ancestors berating you for your moral failings because being an evil necromancer is apparently 'bad'.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

Ironically the one person you forgot to empathise with.....

.... was me

*strings swell*

*cut to slow motion scene of Splode and Sulla running to each others embrace*

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want to protect the ninja turtles.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Anidav posted:

go away.

Also, how on God's green earth do you still have that avatar?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I thought this was an abbott joke and I was trying to figure out who the impressionable teenager was

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Splode posted:

Laserface this is a terrible strawman and you're a loving awful poster.

chug piss until you die

Because the high-watermark for the thread is so lofty :rolleyes:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Pictured: Anidav

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Would libertarians be neutral evil or chaotic evil?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Splode posted:

I have empathy for people. Animals are not people. Also lol at the idea Australia is worse than the US for health, you nong.

tomkash, what are your motivations for stopping people from eating meat? Is it the environmental impact of the meat industry? or is it the ethics?

Well I don't want to stop people eating meat, I just want people to eat considerably less meat. For both of those reasons to be honest. I don't give a poo poo about the health benefits of eating less meat but it's one argument people will occasionally listen to. The environmental impact is not only the massive loss of wildlife and forests destroyed but the pollution and absolute waste of resources used to sustain this industry are disgusting.

Ethics wise it's just insanely cruel to treat other living beings that way. I grew up on a farm and have personally loaded up cattle which I have bottle fed onto trucks to be sold for meat. It was horrible and very upsetting but they had the best life they could have had up until that point at the very least (or until they dealt with the stress of being driven on a truck to an abattoir.) I've been fortunate enough to see how affectionate and different each of these animals can be but I don't think anyone needs to have personally grown up with and raised farm animals to understand how cruel it is to lock a living being up in a space barely larger than itself for its entire horrible life. There really is no argument to support treating animals that way and I will never understand anyone who can dismiss that treatment after actually reading or watching what that entails.

I've been working as a chef for years now and that is what convinced me this has to stop. The insane amount of food waste is just unsustainable and morally sickening. I even worked as a butcher for awhile before that. It's exploitation and waste all the way down.

Kind of unrelated but it's also all really gross, I did a one day shift at one of those wanker cafes in Surry hills the other week. Watched a guy debone a pork belly on a chopping board, leave it there then someone else started slicing bread on that same board lol. $10 sandwich.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Shadeoses posted:

Would libertarians be neutral evil or chaotic evil?

Neutral Evil. AnCaps would be Chaotic Evil.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Speaking of food wastage, France has just passed a law criminalising (not just fines but jail time) food wastage by the biggest supermarkets, Italy is set to pass the same law soon. Sometimes I forget that laws can be good things

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

I've heard that factory farms have a smaller environmental impact, but yeah all the greens I know won't shut up about animal welfare

I personally couldn't give a gently caress, but that's not a discussion I feel like having tonight.

Yes it is much more important that we go to space and have cool space stuff

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

:jeb:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Kerbals FT motherfucking W!! Who gives a poo poo about animals when SpaceX is recreating my favourite video computer games I R L

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Another good question is, "exactly how much loving meat do you need to eat?". We have become inured to super cheap, low quality meat that has pervaded absolutely every part of our dietary culture, pushing out grains and vegetables where it can and increasing meal size/frequency where it can't. That poo poo ain't healthy. I'm not vegetarian yet but for a while now I have been consciously trying to add more vegetables back into my diet and pushing out meat where possible, you save cash and you eat so much better. We're stuck in the old days where eating meat regularly is a status symbol. We don't still worship pale white skin because it signifies the non-working elite, now that meat is super cheap and crappy and our relationship with it is unhealthy, why do we still revere it? (Because capitalism)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
June 1st- June 2nd, RIP thread.

We hardly knew ye.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I disagree, Jonah, but do go on. :allears:

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Kerbals FT motherfucking W!! Who gives a poo poo about animals when SpaceX is recreating my favourite video computer games I R L

Jonah, you goofball, I'm on your side in the monthly "SpaceX are evil libertarian shitlords" arguments in the spaceflight megathread. I just think you personally are an idiot.

tomkash posted:

Ethics wise it's just insanely cruel to treat other living beings that way. I grew up on a farm and have personally loaded up cattle which I have bottle fed onto trucks to be sold for meat. It was horrible and very upsetting but they had the best life they could have had up until that point at the very least (or until they dealt with the stress of being driven on a truck to an abattoir.) I've been fortunate enough to see how affectionate and different each of these animals can be but I don't think anyone needs to have personally grown up with and raised farm animals to understand how cruel it is to lock a living being up in a space barely larger than itself for its entire horrible life. There really is no argument to support treating animals that way and I will never understand anyone who can dismiss that treatment after actually reading or watching what that entails.

I've been working as a chef for years now and that is what convinced me this has to stop. The insane amount of food waste is just unsustainable and morally sickening. I even worked as a butcher for awhile before that. It's exploitation and waste all the way down.

Like, the poor treatment of animals in the meat industry is really bad and should be stopped but:

tomkash posted:

Ethics wise it's just insanely cruel to treat other living beings that way. I grew up on a farm and have personally loaded up cattle which I have bottle fed onto trucks to be sold for meat. It was horrible and very upsetting but they had the best life they could have had up until that point at the very least

Like, humans are omnivores dude. We eat meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Getting to space is a great way to foster international diplomacy, global telecommunications, new technology, and science - as well as related education systems, making the world smarter and better educated.

While factory farm animals are suffering lovely torture on an unthinkable scale so that we can get heart disease from cheap meat and turn the earth into a fart-filled greenhouse plagued by antibiotics resistant superbugs

• Locked thread