Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Dallan Invictus posted:

Also, the very last map (or timeline) expansion I am prepared to not hate. Seriously. Stop. Please.

So this is not the time to tell you the next expansion is North America?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Groogy posted:

Crusader Tlatoanis

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Calling it now -- China expansion Q1 2016.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

My CK2 dream feature is the ability to alt-tab out of fullscreen mode on a Mac, will the next expansion add this???

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

My CK2 dream feature is the ability to alt-tab out of fullscreen mode on a Mac, will the next expansion add this???

No, it will instantly convert your Mac into Linux which is a much better feature.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'd seriously pay like $5 for a working Mac alt-tab function at this point though.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

I can see it now. Declare war on the 'state' 1000 miles over from you. Raise army, tell them to move to it. Watch them die to horrific 10% per month attrition. 20 minutes later, your 15 remaining men arrive and stand outside of the city walls with their spears.

Expand over 600 years from a tiny 2 provinces to a staggering 6 provinces, most of which are not connected due to the extensive nothingness that was north america.

$20 on Steam, pre order now.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well it's not the Great Zimbabwe expansion I really wanted but this looks like fun too.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
still waiting for the atlantis rising DLC, where atlantis raises up in between the Bosphorous, and an event spawned stack of 200,000 skeletons walk off of it and fights the Byzantines

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Weekly Dev Diary, with first look at nomad gameplay.

e: Some of this stuff seems like it'd fit Tribes, too. Like Clans.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2015

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Weekly Dev Diary, with first look at nomad gameplay.

e: Some of this stuff seems like it'd fit Tribes, too. Like Clans.

It would, but the rework needed to make this work in the code base was too big to have it be used anywhere else but together with nomads.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That could be interesting, makes hordes a threat without them just conquering everything.

Assuming they also can raid like Vikings. Which I would assume they can.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Another Person posted:

Expand over 600 years from a tiny 2 provinces to a staggering 6 provinces

2 in game years, but it takes 600 real time years due to the slowdown.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Welp, thanks for expanding the map in the direction I was planning on doing myself for Rise of Islam.

At least now I can properly model the Gökturks and Tang on the map. Hopefully.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dallan Invictus posted:

(if you read Groogy's posts on the Paradox forums, the lag issues don't come strictly from "more characters" or "more provinces" or even "dead characters piling up", the situation is a bit more complex than that)

Links or quotes, please? I am interested but trawling for dev posts on Pdox can be a chore.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
A Mongol-themed expansion makes so much sense when you think about it for like three seconds, so I'm glad we're getting one!

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Dallan Invictus posted:

Also, the very last map (or timeline) expansion I am prepared to not hate. Seriously. Stop. Please.

I'd be ok with a West Africa revision, to include some of the other nations in that area and the coastal provinces. Mali needs more to do beside just kind of exist. Neighbors and a sea route to expand without fighting through the Moroccan deserts would do that. It would also require a huge revision to West African religion mechanics, which I am also for. I don't see this as a huge possibility though.

DrSunshine posted:

Calling it now -- China expansion Q1 2016.

Eventually the map will be all of Eurasiafrica with a big hole where China should be. Then they'll announce Oceania DLC.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

They're doing it! They're finally doing it! Actual landless horde mechanics!

Weekly Dev Diary 4: Horse Lords

Doomdark posted:

It's time for the weekly dev diary and this time it's a biggie, as we proudly announce Horse Lords, the new Crusader Kings II expansion! So what makes the proud rulers of the endless steppes unique? Well, in short, their relative lack of permanent settlements. This expansion gives the nomadic peoples of the steppes a unique type of gameplay which is not centered around Castles, Temples and Cities at all. Playing as a Nomad, you are allowed to conquer and even own normal Holdings, but they are worth little to you except as vassal cash cows. What you really care about is more grazing land for your sheep and horses. Thus, nomad hordes simply have a total population, which grows relative to how many empty Holding slots exist in your provinces (steppe provinces are best, but some other terrain types are also acceptable).

A large fraction of your total Population counts as your Manpower, which is used to raise your regiments (much like the Retinue system.) Of course, if all your fighting men are dead, it will be a while before your Manpower replenishes! War on the steppes is fast and fluid; you only occupy an empty province for as long as one of your armies is standing there, or if you build a fort there to lock it down... and even then, you do not get much war score from the open wastes.

This brings us to the one Holding that actually means a lot to the hordes; their capital. Each nomad clan can only one of this special holding type, but there are more upgrades for it than any of the regular types, and these improvements have more unique effects too... To really defeat a nomad horde, you need to occupy their capital (or decisively beat them in battle, of course.) However, Nomads are allowed to move their capital around often; and that means they actually pull up stakes, 'buildings' and all, and move the whole thing to another location!

Another special twist to the nomadic hordes is that even in defeat, they are still dangerous. Should a horde lose its last province, the tribe will still exist, and may use its remaining armies to conquer another land in which to settle. Naturally, nomads can choose to settle on a more permanent basis, by completely switching over to a Feudal, Tribal or Republican lifestyle. This is done by special decision, reminiscent of how Tribes work.

:perfect:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Do other historically nomadic and horse inclined peoples like the Magyar and some of the Turkic tribes also get nomad mechanics or is it exclusively Mongols?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Bold Robot posted:

Hooray, another region I don't care about that will slow the game down.

Yep. That's it for me and CK2.

Funky Valentine posted:

Please stop playing CPU-intensive games on toasters, hth

gently caress that bullshit, my machine is less than a year old and is run by a perfectly good CPU. The game already grinds to unbearable slowness after 100-150 years and expanding the map more will just exponentially increase that problem.

I loved you, CK2, but... :sigh:

Edit: I will repeat that some kind of utility that goes through a savefile and cleans out all the useless courtiers (which by 200 years in must be 75% of the characters) would tremendously help alleviate this problem and would easily be worth dropping :10bux: on and it's baffling that this doesn't already exist.

Edit2: for what it's worth I do like the new mechanics.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 2, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Since Mongolia will actually exist on the map instead of being terra incognita just outside the bounds we can now prevent the hordes altogether by simply taking over all of Mongolia.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

I have a three year old i5 and it runs fine. Don't skimp on parts and you'll get more bang for your buck

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Eric the Mauve posted:

gently caress that bullshit, my machine is less than a year old and is run by a perfectly good CPU. The game already grinds to unbearable slowness after 100-150 years and expanding the map more will just exponentially increase that problem.

Edit: I will repeat that some kind of utility that goes through a savefile and cleans out all the useless courtiers (which by 200 years in must be 75% of the characters) would tremendously help alleviate this problem and would easily be worth dropping :10bux: on and it's baffling that this doesn't already exist.

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have a three year old i5 and it runs fine. Don't skimp on parts and you'll get more bang for your buck

Same here: i5, 2-3 years old, 12 gb RAM, old mediocre video board (Radeon 5770), and CK2 runs fine up to the time limit.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All I can say is I apparently have unrealistic expectations on how fast the game should run.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Do other historically nomadic and horse inclined peoples like the Magyar and some of the Turkic tribes also get nomad mechanics or is it exclusively Mongols?

The screenshots they were using were from the 769 date with some sort of Mazdaist character, so yeah, I would assume that the mechanics are for all of central Asia, not just the Mongols.

Also, looking between all the dev diary screenshots, I think we now know what the ribbon colors are for all the government types:
  • Blue: Feudal
  • Red: Republic (or just Merchant Republics?)
  • White: Theocracy
  • Green: Muslim (No distinction btwn. Feudal and Theocracy?)
  • Brown: Tribal
  • Yellow: Steppe Horde

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Hopefully this expansion comes with a boatload of performance fixing because even at full speed each day takes about a full second to process 300-400 years in for me. But then again, I'm running a lovely 5 year old box with an AMD CPU. Count me in with the Paradox forum grognards.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goddammit now Tengri has the horrible "randomized CoA" for flags?

Eric the Mauve posted:

All I can say is I apparently have unrealistic expectations on how fast the game should run.

Get gud compu parts son.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just saying it would be nice if I could play this game at a reasonable speed on my laptop. It's kinda slow (but acceptable) now but I'm not optimistic about adding a ton of new territory.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
It takes me about 5 seconds for each day on max speed, so I'm sort of just rolling my eyes at the people complaining about 'slowdown'. It's almost as bad as people complaining about how the single loading screen takes like 30 seconds which is practically nothing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

gently caress that bullshit, my machine is less than a year old and is run by a perfectly good CPU.

What's perfectly good? My 2-3 year old i7 in my laptop was running the game just fine.

Saith posted:

It takes me about 5 seconds for each day on max speed, so I'm sort of just rolling my eyes at the people complaining about 'slowdown'. It's almost as bad as people complaining about how the single loading screen takes like 30 seconds which is practically nothing.

My new 4790k powers through that poo poo it's great - I get like 2 days per second easy on max speed and on the CK2 mod it goes crazy fast. I can't even play on max speed anymore, I have to do 4x.

Anyway if you can't afford new hardware I understand but just don't download the update then, what's the problem?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 2, 2015

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
"Hey poors, maybe you should just not update. Sorry you're not ready for the future. :smug:"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raserys posted:

"Hey poors, maybe you should just not update. Sorry you're not ready for the future. :smug:"

Yeah cool and then you get poo poo like SimCity because 'we wanna make sure it'll run on anything.'

Sorry your CPU that was mid tier 2-3 years ago isn't running brand new updates and games very well :shrug:

CK2 has already been supported for longer than most other games, I don't think it is unreasonable to say 'well if you can't afford new hardware to keep up with updates just be happy with the current state of the game' since there's no expectation of getting DLC forever. I mean you have fun with CK2 now but you're saying once the update comes out and you're not running the update CK2 will suddenly blow for you? Okay.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 2, 2015

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Raserys posted:

This but unironically.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Raserys posted:

This is dumb

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Edit2: for what it's worth I do like the new mechanics.

The game is actually significantly faster than before and you should probably stop pretending that you know better than the developers what will and will create significant slowdowns. The idea that Central Asia will cause CK2 any significant slowdown can trace its origins squarely to your rear end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love how Paradox has supported CK2 but please don't pull a The Sims and release CK3 without any of these features 3 years from now. :(

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how Paradox has supported CK2 but please don't pull a The Sims and release CK3 without any of these features 3 years from now. :(

CK3 should integrate all the features, not just of CK2 but also of Mount and Blade.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Actually you Paradox guys should do a spinoff game called Crusader SCims.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If CK3 isn't just a VR medieval life simulator I WILL BE ANGRY DO YOU HEAR ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This is like my dream expansion. :allears:

• Locked thread