Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
My parents brought home The Dark Crystal when I was around six or seven. Can't remember exactly what they said but they were pretty confused as to why a "puppet movie" would be so creepy. Even by Jim Henson standards, it was hella bizarre.

Babe: Pig In The City was surprisingly dark and weird for a kids movie too. Especially the part where that dog gets suspended over a body of water with just his head underneath and nearly drowns.

When I was five years old, my grandad died and my parents were like "He had this game called Half Life. You should play it." Don't think I got more than 15 minutes into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

How has no one mentioned The Brave Little Toaster clown nightmare scene yet

(Admittedly, I loved that movie)

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My dad took me and my sister to see Starship Troopers in theaters when we were five and three. I think he assumed it would be like Star Wars in some way?

He quickly realized it was a bad idea but found himself enjoying the movie so we stayed. He caught hell for this decision from my mom.

It remains one of my favorite movies to this day.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Lowly posted:

I went to see Black Swan with my mom (who is 69) and she didn't care about the lesbian sex.

Gee uhh I wonder why? :haw:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I saw Alien when I was six or seven. I slept with a pillow over my head (because clearly that would stop a facehugger) for the next ten years.
I also saw Jaws around that age and I'm still scared of being in the water.

That's what unsupervised access to HBO did to me.

I still love both movies. They are among my top ten.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I was born in '85 and saw Aliens in theaters. Apparently I enjoyed it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just realised that Black Swan is Fight Club but with ballet.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Maybe if you had a proper film rating service that kept children out of adult films like we do in :britain: rather than a bunch of guys who go "a guy punches a guy's head off, eh whatever, bring the kids.....a husband and wife HAVE SEX?!?! BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!" there wouldn't be an issue. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crow Jane posted:

When I was a kid, Dumbo, of all things, scared me half to death. I had nightmares about elephants for years. My brother, two years younger than me, was completely unphased, but certain commercials terrified him. Both of us refused to even be in the room if The Grinch was on, which our parents found hilarious for some reason.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that all kids are scaredy-cats in different ways.

The drunk scene in Dumbo is legitimately weird and out of place even as an adult.

Hey kids, how about you watch a hallucinogenic sequence!

The Grinch was always something I loved though, even as a small child. No fear there.

Funny enough there were a couple parts of The Wizard of Oz that kinda spooked me out as a kid, but it was my baby sister's favorite movie of all time. She probably watched it a few hundred times.

Celery Face posted:

My parents brought home The Dark Crystal when I was around six or seven. Can't remember exactly what they said but they were pretty confused as to why a "puppet movie" would be so creepy. Even by Jim Henson standards, it was hella bizarre.

Babe: Pig In The City was surprisingly dark and weird for a kids movie too. Especially the part where that dog gets suspended over a body of water with just his head underneath and nearly drowns.

When I was five years old, my grandad died and my parents were like "He had this game called Half Life. You should play it." Don't think I got more than 15 minutes into it.

I love the dark crystal but I didn't see it or Labyrinth until I was like 13-14 which is a better age. Especially The Dark Crystal is a little slow and complicated at times for young kids.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Rudager posted:

You know that "Mums and Bubs" sessions are a legit thing at movie theaters, they're usually on in the morning time on a weekday.

Never heard of this, don't think it's a thing where I've lived (originally from UK, now in Netherlands). But yeah it's one thing I guess if it's a certain session. Different if it's just "well I cba to hire a babysitter", or some lazy attempt at entertaining the baby.

As to traumatizing movies I saw Terminator on TV when I was 5. It freaked me the gently caress out, gave me nightmares and gave me a fear of android type toys etc. Not helped by the fact the Terminator is chasing a woman named Sarah. You can take a wild guess what my first name is.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stroop There It Is posted:

How has no one mentioned The Brave Little Toaster clown nightmare scene yet

(Admittedly, I loved that movie)

Oh man, that whole movie was Nightmare Fuel for me. I don't know why but it freaked the gently caress out of me.

That one part where the AC unit goes haywire is pretty drat intense. He loses his poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLJvDadSfns :ohdear: That's tense.

Also you reminded me of the secret of NIMH which is a classic dark children's animated movie. Pretty scary.

...wait which thread are we in? Guess we should get back on topic :cheeky:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Having Him Quit Was Just A Bonus
Office | Croatia | Bad Behavior, Coworkers, Money

(At our office you get paid extra if the project is delivered early. This bonus is paid by the contractor and divided equally amongst the people who were working on the project. Employees are looking at pay-lists to confirm everything is okay before money gets paid.)

Employee: “Hey, why did [New Coworker] get a bonus? She only worked on the project for a week!”

Owner: “But she worked. Rule is that everyone who worked on the project get bonus divided between them equally.”

Employee: “But she barely did any work on it! It should be divided between the rest of us!”

Owner: “Leave it. You would only get [around 2 USD] more if I did that.”

Employee: “That’s bull-****. Everyone should get paid how much they deserve!”

Owner: *raising his eyebrows* “So you want to get paid by merit?”

Employee: “Yes!”

Owner: “I’ll get updated lists to you in 10 minutes, then.”

(Lists get handed out a bit later and employee is fuming.)

Employee: “WHY DID I GET ONLY [around 9 USD] INSTEAD OF [almost 200 USD] BONUS!?”

Owner: “I divided it by merit. [Best Programmer In The Office] did 80% of the back-end himself, so he got paid the most. Since you only worked on the interface, so you got paid by how much of the project you did.”

Employee: “You can’t do that! It’s illegal! I’ll sue you!”

Owner: “No, it’s not illegal. It’s a bonus that I hand out on my own will. Your basic pay stayed the same.”

Employee: “THEN I QUIT, YOU F****** A******!”

(Employee grabs his stuff and storms out. Boss proposes to going back to dividing project gain equally and everyone wholeheartedly agrees. Everything is fine until two weeks later when Employee storms back into our office and runs up to the boss.)

Employee: “WHERE IS MY MONEY!?”

Owner: “What are you talking about? You got your paycheck a day after you left. I was even so nice that I included the total bonus.”

Employee: “MY SEVERANCE PAY, YOU IDIOT! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME AMOUNT EQUAL TO FOUR PAYCHECKS!”

Owner: “That’s the severance. I don’t have to pay you that. I only have to pay that to workers I FIRE myself, that haven’t breached the contract.”

Employee: “But you gave it to [Name] last month and he quit himself! You always pay people that!”

Owner: “That was my good will. Since we parted kindly I decided to “fire him” before he handed his resignation, so I “had to” pay him severance. I don’t legally have to pay you.”

Employee: “Umm, but I thought that…”

Owner: “You thought? No, you didn’t. What you did was quit a job that has 25% bigger base pay than average in your field, gives you bonuses for every project, pays for overtime twice as much as other companies in the same field, lets you choose what hours you work and tons of other extra stuff that I do to keep my workers happy since the company is doing well. Also, if you wanted to quit like normal people do instead of screaming and insulting me you would have gotten [Five Figure Sum], just because I can.”

Employee: “…”

Owner: “And you did this over the amount of money that can’t even get you a decent cup of coffee. Now get the f*** out before I call the police to remove you.”

A/B = 200
A/(B+1)=198

A=19800, B = 99

I'm the 97 coworkers who didn't complain about getting shafted.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Maybe if you had a proper film rating service that kept children out of adult films like we do in :britain: rather than a bunch of guys who go "a guy punches a guy's head off, eh whatever, bring the kids.....a husband and wife HAVE SEX?!?! BAN THIS SICK FILTH!!!" there wouldn't be an issue. :colbert:

Except you know, try not to replicate the BBFC exactly because they're loving terrible.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
[Five Figure Sum]. That's a new low for NAR.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Nyarai posted:

[Five Figure Sum]. That's a new low for NAR.

I'm just surprised they didn't write "[Best Programmer In The Office] did [percentage]% of the back-end himself". Or “MY SEVERANCE PAY, YOU IDIOT! YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO GIVE ME AMOUNT EQUAL TO [number] PAYCHECKS!”

Also, I read " F****** A******" as "FAAAAAT AAASSSS".

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

SerialKilldeer posted:

Also, I read " F****** A******" as "FAAAAAT AAASSSS".
https://youtu.be/CkzjX_GA8Qg?t=24

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

quote:

Owner: “That was my good will. Since we parted kindly I decided to “fire him” before he handed his resignation, so I “had to” pay him severance. I don’t legally have to pay you.”

guys I don't think this happened.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

guys I don't think this happened.

STDH in the STDH.txt thread?! :monocle:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EZipperelli posted:

STDH in the STDH.txt thread?! :monocle:

I know, it shocked me too

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Parents want to go see movies and are too busy/cheap to get a babysitter. Everything else is just justification...

There are actually "Mums & Bubs" or "Parents and Tots" movies (at least there are near me in Australia) specifically so that parents looking after their kids can get out of the house and see a movie and not feel like assholes for having a crying kid with them because everyone has a crying kid with them.

I actually went to see "Wild" a little while back with my 6 month old daughter and wife, and it was a nice way to get out of the house and do something fun.

There's no benefit to the child, and I don't think anyone is claiming that there is, but having a child in a carrier for 2 hours is totally fine. My daughter slept on my chest the entire movie, and it was nice to get out of the house on a day where the weather was bad.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Music Man

quote:

His Credibility Hanging By A Guitar String
HIGH SCHOOL | LONG ISLAND, NY, USA | BIGOTRY, MUSICAL MAYHEM
(I am in a chorus class towards the end of the year, and since we finished the spring concert, the teacher has us do a project where we present a song to the class and explain why it’s good. One girl presents a song by a moderately famous female rock artist and guitarist. Once she’s done presenting the video, she turns to the class.)

Girl: “I especially like the guitar work.”

(A boy in the class that all of the girls doted over raises his voice.)

Boy: “Please. You expect me to believe that she’s actually playing the guitar? She probably just sang and took the credit for the guitarist.”

Girl: “And why do you think that?”

Boy: “Well, girls can’t play guitars!”

(To rebut, she shows the same song live, with the artist clearly playing the guitar.)

Boy: *in the most insufferably condescending voice you can imagine* “I’m sure you wouldn’t recognize it, but those weren’t even the right finger positions.”

Girl: *clearly having had enough* “All right, fine.”

(She goes to the side and takes the acoustic guitar that the teacher keeps around and hands it to the boy.)

Girl: “Play it. Surely someone who knows as much about the guitar as you do can educate me, a brainless woman.”

(The boy takes the guitar, and plays the entirely wrong note.)

Girl: “Wrong note! Try again.”

(He tries again, trying to remember the positioning in the video. He fails again.)

Girl: “…Do you even play the guitar?”

(The boy mumbled that it’s different with an acoustic guitar before handing it back. The girl proceeded to play a wonderful acoustic version of the song, and everyone except the boy applauded. Incidentally, the boy that had many girls hoping that he’d take them to the prom got shot down by every last one when word of his misogyny spread.)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Misogyny aside, why do people think that in order to criticize something you have to be better than it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Lblitzer posted:

Misogyny aside, why do people think that in order to criticize something you have to be better than it?

Because that way they can dismiss people criticising them/the people they like.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

His arm bones just eventually wore down and broke after repeated flyweight pummeling with a light, cushioned object.

edit: ah yes, high school girls, never willing to give a jerk the time of day!

walrusman has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Jun 3, 2015

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Khazar-khum posted:

Boy: *in the most insufferably condescending voice you can imagine*

This should be appended to the top of every NAW post

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Khazar-khum posted:

(The boy takes the guitar, and plays the entirely wrong note.)

Girl: “Wrong note! Try again.”

(He tries again, trying to remember the positioning in the video. He fails again.)

Out of all the things in this story, I think it bothers me the most that whoever wrote and edited it doesn't know the difference between a note and a chord.

Or maybe [song] has the most recognizable first note ever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

Out of all the things in this story, I think it bothers me the most that whoever wrote and edited it doesn't know the difference between a note and a chord.

Yeah, that stuck out to me too. Surely you play at least like a riff or a lick or a bar or phrase or something? One single note and "WRONG" ? Lol.

Or yeah, playing the first chord wrong would make sense too. But note?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Would have been a better story if it was about A Hard Day's Night.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

No stairway.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaphod42 posted:

I have to imagine the same parents took their young kids to see Roger Rabbit and Cool World. :doh:

Someone brought literal toddlers to "Bad Grandpa". Barely able to talk in complete sentences, still practicing running and frequently babbling toddlers.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Tunicate posted:

No stairway.

Freebird!

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Someone brought literal toddlers to "Bad Grandpa". Barely able to talk in complete sentences, still practicing running and frequently babbling toddlers.

So they were the REAL bad grandpa. Eh? Eh? Did you see what I did there?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Tunicate posted:

No stairway.

Denied!

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Elblanco posted:

Freebird!

Smoke on the Water.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

PotatoManJack posted:

There are actually "Mums & Bubs" or "Parents and Tots" movies (at least there are near me in Australia) specifically so that parents looking after their kids can get out of the house and see a movie and not feel like assholes for having a crying kid with them because everyone has a crying kid with them.

I actually went to see "Wild" a little while back with my 6 month old daughter and wife, and it was a nice way to get out of the house and do something fun.

There's no benefit to the child, and I don't think anyone is claiming that there is, but having a child in a carrier for 2 hours is totally fine. My daughter slept on my chest the entire movie, and it was nice to get out of the house on a day where the weather was bad.

For my parents, there was no moviegoing while I was an infant, but as a toddler if they couldn't get a babysitter, they'd take me with to the show under the rule of if I wanted to leave at any time, I just had to say I wanted to go and that would be reason enough. I'd already been taught the Movie Rules of don't talk or make noise during the movie, no running in the aisles..etc. So, I ended up getting to see films like The Exorcist, and The Omen during their first runs. Only film I invoked the 'Wanna Go Home' rule was during a rerelease of Bambi when his mother got shot.

Though to reel this back to the topic, I wonder how much stdh happened with the cases of parents sticking around when the wrong movie accidentally got shown like the parents taking their kids to see The Last Mimzy and ended up getting Hills Have Eyes 2 apparently not realizing this until the cannibal baby birth that happens early on. Having seen Hills Have Eyes 2, by the time the cannibal kid pops out there's already enough of a lead up that it's pretty drat obvious that this isn't going to be a kid flick.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe
Girl: *Shows video*

Boy: Taylor Swift sucks! *farts*

Class: *laughs*

Girl: Yo-you're stupid-d.

Teacher: Billy, that's enough. Thank you, Jessica. Next!

Teacher: Drinks self in to stupor later that day.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

This guy got in a fight with the English language and lost

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Cross-post :

EZipperelli posted:

Jesus, this reads like a NAR story.

"who chatted on a new [cellular telephone] equipped with a [popular R&B] ringtone.

Who cares that she had a "shiny gold tooth"? If this was even real (which I'm sure it's not) that shiny gold tooth, would probably be just a cap... Or is the author mentioning the gold tooth because it's not politically correct to say "I had to examine this THUG last night, and she came in all blinged out"?

*I write letters to "Mr. President" just hoping he'll see it on Facebook... Maybe I'll tag him in it!*

Apparently the letter was an actual thing, the incident does very much sound like :happened: though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Fathis Munk posted:

Cross-post :

Apparently the letter was an actual thing, the incident does very much sound like :happened: though

Yup, Dr. Roger Starner Jones did in fact write that letter and it did in fact see publication in his local newspaper. Still STDH, of course.

The Snopes link I gave also has someone attacking his letter and his defensive reply that he grew up poor and ignorant, too, but pulled himself up by his bootstraps and made sure to "run with the right crowd" as a lad.

• Locked thread