Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Maybe Putin can be president of Russia and FIFA at once?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Hegay posted:

I think some Prince Ali is going to be in charge soon tho??

He'll get taken out by predator drones. Roger Goodell is behind this.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Platini would be good because that means he fucks off from UEFA

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Hegay posted:

Platini would be good because that means he fucks off from UEFA

No because Platini should gently caress off full stop.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sepp's 5th term lasted less than 100 hours.

Gigi Galli posted:

I don't know if anyone in this thread will get this joke but it's like the interest payment on Andy Carroll.
:golfclap:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 2, 2015

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Crazy Ted posted:

Sepp's 5th term lasted less than 100 hours.

I don't know if anyone in this thread will get this joke but it's like the interest payment on Andy Carroll.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The BBC keep saying 'he says he will step down'. Not 'he's stepped down'. What, exactly, did he say?

He is stepping down as soon as they hold an election to replace him.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The BBC keep saying 'he says he will step down'. Not 'he's stepped down'. What, exactly, did he say?
Full transcript:

I have been reflecting deeply about my presidency and about the 40 years in which my life has been inextricably bound to Fifa and the great sport of football. I cherish Fifa more than anything and I want to do only what is best for Fifa and for football. I felt compelled to stand for re-election, as I believed that this was the best thing for the organisation. That election is over but Fifa’s challenges are not. Fifa needs a profound overhaul.

While I have a mandate from the membership of Fifa, I do not feel that I have a mandate from the entire world of football – the fans, the players, the clubs, the people who live, breathe and love football as much as we all do at Fifa. Therefore, I have decided to lay down my mandate at an extraordinary elective Congress. I will continue to exercise my functions as Fifa President until that election. The next ordinary Fifa Congress will take place on 13 May 2016 in Mexico City. This would create unnecessary delay and I will urge the Executive Committee to organise an Extraordinary Congress for the election of my successor at the earliest opportunity. This will need to be done in line with Fifa’s statutes and we must allow enough time for the best candidates to present themselves and to campaign. Since I shall not be a candidate, and am therefore now free from the constraints that elections inevitably impose, I shall be able to focus on driving far-reaching, fundamental reforms that transcend our previous efforts.

For years, we have worked hard to put in place administrative reforms, but it is plain to me that while these must continue, they are not enough. The Executive Committee includes representatives of confederations over whom we have no control, but for whose actions Fifa is held responsible. We need deep-rooted structural change. The size of the Executive Committee must be reduced and its members should be elected through the Fifa Congress. The integrity checks for all Executive Committee members must be organised centrally through Fifa and not through the confederations. We need term limits not only for the president but for all members of the Executive Committee. I have fought for these changes before and, as everyone knows, my efforts have been blocked.

This time, I will succeed. I cannot do this alone. I have asked Domenico Scala to oversee the introduction and implementation of these and other measures. Mr Scala is the Independent Chairman of our Audit and Compliance Committee elected by the Fifa Congress. He is also the Chairman of the ad hoc Electoral Committee and, as such, he will oversee the election of my successor. Mr Scala enjoys the confidence of a wide range of constituents within and outside of Fifa and has all the knowledge and experience necessary to help tackle these major reforms. It is my deep care for Fifa and its interests, which I hold very dear, that has led me to take this decision. I would like to thank those who have always supported me in a constructive and loyal manner as President of Fifa and who have done so much for the game that we all love. What matters to me more than anything is that when all of this is over, football is the winner.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Does everyone have to call it "soccer" yet or does Blatter have to go to jail first?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

There will be another election for fifa president and that he won't be running

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

There will be another election for fifa president and that he won't be running

Well he wont be a candidate but I bet he'll be running it.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Bring back our Blatter

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I imagine he quit because of an online petition.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"I will fix all the problems, I am the immortal God-King of Football, I will be re-elected because I'm the best person and I'll save everything, I am FIFA incarnate, have you seen the movie all about how awesome I am?

Okay thanks for re-electing me, I quit"

:psyduck:

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Gigi Galli posted:

Well he wont be a candidate but I bet he'll be running it.

I think they'll read his post on the way out

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to a California recall election-style who's who of who the gently caress field of candidates

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So Nike bribed the Brazilians but they put out a statement expressing concern about corruption in FIFA?

EDIT: As soon as I post that, ESPN is talking about how Nike put $40 million in a Swiss Bank account to get the Brazil uniform contract.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

dex_sda posted:

man something must have happened for him to step down out of the blue

I'm thinking it's either "almost every sponsor threatened to drop" or "horrible poo poo he's done is about to be revealed in the investigation and he knows he can't stop it"

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

So Nike bribed the Brazilians but they put out a statement expressing concern about corruption in FIFA?

EDIT: As soon as I post that, ESPN is talking about how Nike put $40 million in a Swiss Bank account to get the Brazil uniform contract.

Nike needs to be indicted by the DOJ and all these corporate whore frauds need to burn.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Tzen posted:

What matters to me more than anything is that when all of this is over, football is the winner

Thanks tzen. I like the sepp Blatter who wrote (lol) that, he sounds like a good man for football.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Isn't there some rule about host countries being given at least six years to host the World Cup? Maybe that is why Sepp is staying 6 to 9 months?

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

dex_sda posted:

man something must have happened for him to step down out of the blue

It has to be Valcke.
He's going down and he knows where all the bodies are buried.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Dirk Pitt posted:

Isn't there some rule about host countries being given at least six years to host the World Cup? Maybe that is why Sepp is staying 6 to 9 months?

the speed at which this press conference was put together, he is not going to be around for six to nine months

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Tzen posted:

We need term limits not only for the president but for all members of the Executive Committee. I have fought for these changes before and, as everyone knows, my efforts have been blocked.

says the guy who was elected 5 times

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

El Hefe posted:

America is run by a Jewish cabal and it's president it's a black Muslim

Its true.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Dirk Pitt posted:

There is but if they're changing Fifa (lol) maybe they can change that rule so we don't have to have a world cup in the loving winter.

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small
thought of a good headline for today's events in case anyone here wants to give me royalties: Ride of the Valckes

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

coffeetable posted:

the speed at which this press conference was put together, he is not going to be around for six to nine months

I wouldn't be surprised if they all jumped in a speeding car to a private airfield immediately after that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kwagga posted:

thought of a good headline for today's events in case anyone here wants to give me royalties: Ride of the Valckes
Blatter Evacuation

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

The DOJ is all WASP fratty tall lawyers from Harvard and Yale and they're bringing righteous justice to the world.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DickEmery posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they all jumped in a speeding car to a private airfield immediately after that.

Are the Swiss police really that bad at their jobs?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Man, the last week has sure been a hell of a ride.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Americans are quite good at regime change.

Unfortunately we're very good at ousting moderately corrupt regimes and replacing them with extremely corrupt regimes that hate America.

FIFA 2.0 will kick the USA from the World Cup and dozens of people will be inconsolable.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Maybe his lawyers suggested this as a measure to earn some good will and decrease his jail time. Wonder if he'll turn himself in in the next 24 hours. Hopefully he strikes a deal to open his vault of blackmail on everyone all the way to Tammy from HR for a reduced sentence. No way a guy this brazen just up and quits.

Or maybe he stepped down so that he could find the real killers.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

mdemone posted:

Are the Swiss police really that bad at their jobs?

i forgot he was told not to leave the country

neat

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

what're the usual proposals to reform fifa voting? im guessing europe isn't keen on proportional-to-population, and most of the current members aren't keen on proportional-to-money-invested

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Blatter Evacuation

:golfclap:

Varation: Evacuated Blatter

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ABC (United States): Sources say Sepp Blatter is/was being investigated by the FBI

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 2, 2015

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Sepptember Surprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Siri, how much nazi gold can a learjet carry?