Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I am right. It's not because we particularly care about it, mind, but we like to make money off these things and we have the infrastructure that most people don't have already. The UK, France and Germany could all do it as well, though I don't generally think any of them want the hassle at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

foobardog posted:

While MLS is not that popular and PL games are enjoyed by a niche market, the World Cup is more popular in the US than people give it credit for. ESPN and Fox basically got into a bidding war over the US rights.

While some of that may be people watching for the countries that their great great great grandparents came from, seeing and hoping Americans kick rear end in sports is something almost everyone can enjoy. It was pretty much a month long obsession here.

If it happens during fall/winter like in the middle of the nfl season not many people will watch it

Also mls is utter poo poo, and is a pain to watch. Its barely a step above high school soccer.

Idk how the PL and real leagues will deal with the wc

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I am right. It's not because we particularly care about it, mind, but we like to make money off these things and we have the infrastructure that most people don't have already. The UK, France and Germany could all do it as well, though I don't generally think any of them want the hassle at the moment.
It's seven years out. You can rebid 2022 and open it up to any country.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
I'm reading the Guardian comments- the amount of hurt-feelings is fantastic. Everyone keeps pointing out how Sepp Blatter isn't as bad as Tony Blair. I love it so much.

edit:

ID9492736 1m ago

NATO: World Football - 1 : 0

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
First Hitler, then Blatter....THE SKY IS THE LIMIT BOYZ, altogether:

I BELIEVE

I BELIEVE

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Waroduce posted:

If it happens during fall/winter like in the middle of the nfl season not many people will watch it

Also mls is utter poo poo, and is a pain to watch. Its barely a step above high school soccer.

tbf NFL games happen literally one day a week with a token game on mondays and thursdays

edit; that said, the final and a few knockouts would get upstaged so yeah, gently caress fall/winter WCs

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Crazy Ted posted:

It's seven years out. You can rebid 2022 and open it up to any country.

Yeah, and how many people would really be willing to do it? Especially on the pretext of "we're taking this away from a developing world country because its expensiveness for the host nation and we're concerned about human rights abuses"

That kind of narrows it down don't you think. Also 7 years isn't really a lot of time if its nation without pre-existing infrastructure.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

tbf NFL games happen literally one day a week with a token game on mondays and thursdays

edit; that said, the final and a few knockouts would get upstaged so yeah, gently caress fall/winter WCs

College football is also a massive deal in the fall.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Tbf 4000+ dead is a bit past human rights abuses

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Seppusan noooo

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

So what's the over/under on how long until the Garcia report is fully published? Also, odds on the FBI 'accidentally' having a copy of it already?

I wonder if after FIFA pissed him off, Garcia dropped a couple hints about where to go looking for evidence and who to look at.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

the way the US military were getting kickbacks for promotion at pro football games.

Haha, what? The entire scandal was that the NFL had them pay for ads/promotions instead of doing it for free as patriotic Corporate Americans.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
One question, since my wife and I are going to Europe in a week with the US causing Blatter to step down this means we don't have to say we're Canadian anymore right?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Waroduce posted:

No, definitely agreed on the summer being beneficial to it. The summer is the domain of baseball, which is the least popular of the top three.

Every now and then, some dumbass suggests that MLS should move to a fall-spring season and it's such a terrible idea. Going against the NFL would be a disaster.

also gently caress you I love my bad soccer because it's ours, eurosnobs can get the gently caress out

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

So what's the over/under on how long until the Garcia report is fully published? Also, odds on the FBI 'accidentally' having a copy of it already?

I wonder if after FIFA pissed him off, Garcia dropped a couple hints about where to go looking for evidence and who to look at.

The investigation by the DOJ has been going on since like 2013 at least. Though I'd say they got some assistance from it.

Waroduce posted:

Tbf 4000+ dead is a bit past human rights abuses

Well yeah, and thats just the number they're admitting.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 2, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The investigation by the DOJ has been going on since like 2013 at least. Though I'd say they got some assistance from it.

I'm talking the final puzzle pieces. Like some secretary from Lesotho or something being the link between Valcke and Warner.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Fat Lowtax posted:

Seppusan noooo
Lynch-senpai noticed him

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I'm talking the final puzzle pieces. Like some secretary from Lesotho or something being the link between Valcke and Warner.

My assumption is that once it became very real to the people being charged they started cutting deals.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

foobardog posted:

No, definitely agreed on the summer being beneficial to it. The summer is the domain of baseball, which is the least popular of the top three.

From a mass appeal point I agree, but the regional TV Rating numbers for baseball are absolutely monstrous by comparison. People in Kansas City have gently caress all of a desire to see teams that aren't the Royals.

So who is the odds on favorite to be the next president of FIFA now? I have to imagine Blatter has dirt on Ali in order to try and bring him down. If he didn't, he would have just opted not to run and let him win unopposed. Or maybe this was some weird power trip for him. Running to just to prove he could win despite a massive scandal going on.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

It's Platini's time

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

From a mass appeal point I agree, but the regional TV Rating numbers for baseball are absolutely monstrous by comparison. People in Kansas City have gently caress all of a desire to see teams that aren't the Royals.

So who is the odds on favorite to be the next president of FIFA now? I have to imagine Blatter has dirt on Ali in order to try and bring him down. If he didn't, he would have just opted not to run and let him win unopposed. Or maybe this was some weird power trip for him. Running to just to prove he could win despite a massive scandal going on.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*Australia starts hopping up and down*

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2015

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

ESPN replaying the feature on Blatter right now. God the bribes started flying his way before he was even President.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 2, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

*Australia starts hopping up and down*

Australia could be a good option and they're building lots of stadiums right now anyway aren't they?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Akileese posted:

Or maybe he still thought he could get away with but something happened since Friday that made that untenable. Sponsors threatening to pull out sounds credible

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

a developing world country
you mean the richest country in the world?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
USA
USA
USA

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Australia could be a good option and they're building lots of stadiums right now anyway aren't they?

Not really, we already have them.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just give the world cup to the state of California, the 5th largest economy in the world.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Not really, we already have them.

Sydney games were loving awesome.

African AIDS cum posted:

Just give the world cup to the state of California, the 5th largest economy in the world.

They're broke and have all of two maybe three stadiums that would be able to have a world cup game right now.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I'm disappointed, I expected this to go on for far longer.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

2018 in England to bring it home.
2022 in Germany for fun times and beer.
2026 in Thailand for ladyboys and depravity.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

African AIDS cum posted:

California hates building stadiums so much LA doesn't even have an NFL team.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

they dont have enough water to maintain the fields lol

e: "pitches"

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

2018 in England to bring it home.
2022 in Germany for fun times and beer.

Though this does make 2022 less hilarious, since 2022 world cup in Qatar and 2022 Winter Olympics in Almaty would have been loving fantastic.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

California hates building stadiums so much LA doesn't even have an NFL team.

Well, by 2022 LA will likely have the Raiders and the Rams, so.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

if you think the rest of football is going to say 'thanks for taking our free money away' by giving you a world cup, you're probably mental.

Do you realise how long it's going to take to restructure the organisation, top to bottom? They're going to have to decide on a new leader, who is then going to have to gain the support not only of enough members to get elected - in theory without paying for the privilege - but also enough members to completely reform the entire organisation, while trying to keep not only little old US of A happy, but every African nation, every middle and far Eastern nation, every fucker in Europe, those Aussie cunts, whoever else I missed, all of those people need to be kept happy. And thats before anyone even gets the job.

Then, once they've got that job (it'll be 2025 at least by now) they'll need to come up with a system, a fair system, which doesn't piss off half of the member nations, that gives each of those nations a say in where world cups are played - again, without having to bribe, bribing is bad now America don't like it.

Then they'll have to come up with rules about who can represent each country's associations, maybe come up with some list of reasons of why certain people might not be suitable, while every member nation's representative at the time can be described by just such a list.

then, once they've done that, they're going to have to decide on a million factors about who can host a world cup without buying it, something which hasn't happened for decades.

Then a billion rules about sponsorship contracts, which will now have to be given without bribes and kickbacks. Again, most of you weren't alive when this last happened.

Then there's payments to suppliers, service providers, caterers, handbag and watch manufacturers - think of all the things a major international business imeancharity needs to pay for, down to paperclips and toilet paper. every single payment that needs paying, that now needs paying legitimately and without bribes, with millions of eyes on every transaction.

Yeah. It's going to be easy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're broke and have all of two maybe three stadiums that would be able to have a world cup game right now.

We're actually running a surplus but the games would be played on dirt since we don't have any water.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Yeah, and how many people would really be willing to do it? Especially on the pretext of "we're taking this away from a developing world country because its expensiveness for the host nation and we're concerned about human rights abuses"

That kind of narrows it down don't you think. Also 7 years isn't really a lot of time if its nation without pre-existing infrastructure.

agreed op, i'd much rather see the World Cup final played on the lush field turf of the Lucas Oil Stadium in soccer loving Indiana than in a UEFA category four stadium.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Australia has a bunch of stadiums. 100k in Melbourne or 80k in Sydney plus 5 others 42k or more.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Sydney games were loving awesome.

California isn't broke dumbass.

And they have the Rose Bowl, Qualcomm, LA Coliseum, that lovely new 49ers stadium, Stanford, Cal, etc hell they could do it easily. How about you apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Hopefully now all these frauds are gone we can stop pretending and end the sham that is Womens soccer. Cancel the "womens world cup"