Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

What are the notable realignments prior to the 1960s?

The first party system was the Federalists and anti-Federalists. This was brought down by Jackson into the antebellum second party system. The third party system went from Lincoln through the industrial era until immigration exploded and shifted demographics to the Progressive era and fourth party system. The fifth was the New Deal and the sixth and most recent shifted the South around after the Civil Rights Act.

Like Nonsense said, we're overdue for a realignment and people have been trying to explain why. My theory is that both parties have become so good at marketing that they have locked down demographics and people are much less willing to switch parties or split tickets. Slow demographic change makes another realignment an inevitability, but it's been fifty years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Obama was the beginning, and people refuse to believe Obama will end up on either monuments or money. He's that important, lol at presentists.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Firebert posted:

I'm curious if Julian Castro being tapped for VP would help or hinder his future political ambitions. A Dem president being elected for 16+ years seems hard to imagine and I can't recall anyone using the VP spot to vault into anything other than the presidency. He might be able to challenge Cruz for his seat in 2018.

His twin brother is currently in the House and would be the Castro brother to run for Cruz's seat. Julian is executive, Joaquin is legislative.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

The first party system was the Federalists and anti-Federalists. This was brought down by Jackson into the antebellum second party system. The third party system went from Lincoln through the industrial era until immigration exploded and shifted demographics to the Progressive era and fourth party system. The fifth was the New Deal and the sixth and most recent shifted the South around after the Civil Rights Act.

Like Nonsense said, we're overdue for a realignment and people have been trying to explain why. My theory is that both parties have become so good at marketing that they have locked down demographics and people are much less willing to switch parties or split tickets. Slow demographic change makes another realignment an inevitability, but it's been fifty years.

Those first two aren't really realignments so much as dissolutions entirely. You'll have to be more specific how the third and fourth party (and fifth) systems were significantly different. For example, the Progressive Era was highlighted by Republicans initially but the most pro-business people in the 1920s were themselves Republicans as well. It's not nearly to the same degree as what we see today.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

Those first two aren't really realignments so much as dissolutions entirely. You'll have to be more specific how the third and fourth party (and fifth) systems were significantly different. For example, the Progressive Era was highlighted by Republicans initially but the most pro-business people in the 1920s were themselves Republicans as well. It's not nearly to the same degree as what we see today.

You think that Radical Republicans and New Deal Democrats were part of the same party system? 1861-1964 is probably the most tumultuous century in the history of the country. This period was characterized by the shift of the black vote and the emergence of the non-British immigrant bloc.

vvv so you're saying that a party realignment happened. k

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 2, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Aliquid posted:

You think that Radical Republicans and New Deal Democrats were part of the same party system? 1861-1964 is probably the most tumultuous century in the history of the country.

No, but I do think the Radical Republicans ended around the time Reconstruction did and didn't continue "through the industrial era".

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Firebert posted:

I'm curious if Julian Castro being tapped for VP would help or hinder his future political ambitions. A Dem president being elected for 16+ years seems hard to imagine and I can't recall anyone using the VP spot to vault into anything other than the presidency. He might be able to challenge Cruz for his seat in 2018.

Normally in these circumstances, losing the White House 4 times in a row would lead a party to reform, break up, or re-align. We saw the Republicans do basically that under Nixon (Southern Strategy) and the Democrats do that under Bill Clinton (Third Way). In a way, it would be the reverse of 1968 - 1992 when Democrats regularly held Congress but only got Carter elected in the aftermath of Watergate until Bill Clinton led the party towards the center or helped it better relate to everyday people or whatever (depending on your politics you'll have a different view of that era). So in theory it's possible that with efforts to mimic the Nixon/Reagan reforms having failed 2-3 times in a row, some Republican will run in 2024 as their Clinton-equivalent: a charismatic figure who drops the edgy stuff popular with the base but not the general public (abortion bans), and suggests something like small steps to ameliorate income inequality (vs the Dem's larger steps, or perceived larger steps).

Another major factor that cuts against parties holding the Presidency for a while is blame. At this stage, it's tougher and tougher for Barack Obama to say "well that was Bush's fault" or "it was like that when I got here" (even when it was blatantly Bush's fault), and Hillary won't be able to do that at all. So by the time 2024 rolls around, anything people are unhappy about in the government or economy or whatever will probably be seen as the Democrats' fault. Hillary could hit that this cycle if there's a 2016 recession or something.

That said, to me the difference with 2024 to me would be the Tea Party Congress. If Republicans win the off-year elections and keep holding Congress and Governorships, then (a) there will be less impetus within the party for dramatic reform, and (b) there's a way for Obama/Hillary to keep blaming Republicans for stuff (not sure how effective that is though).

If Ted Cruz is the 2024 Republican nominee and the economy is decent at the moment, Castro wouldn't be in a bad spot in 2024 - not a prohibitive favorite or even a favorite, but still having a decent shot at winning. If some sort of mythical moderate Republican with charisma is the opponent and the economy is lackluster, then Castro would be in real trouble.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that a Dem isn't going to stand a chance in a state-wide race in Texas for a few years yet. Like if he's not the VP, it's not like there are really attractive races for him in Texas - it'll be 2024 before a Democrat has a real good shot at running Statewide in Texas anyhow. Someone like a Deval Patrick or Cory Booker would be giving up running for Senate or Governor in a blue state to be VP, but Castro wouldn't be. In that sense, it can't really hurt his career because he's already at his realistic ceiling.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

computer parts posted:

What are the notable realignments prior to the 1960s?
1932 New Deal
1896 McKinley
1860 Lincoln
1828 Jackson

1968 Nixon/Reagan Southern Strategy
2006/08 Obama Coalition

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

2006 Joementum
2008 Ron Paul ReLOVEution
2010 2nd Contract with America
2012 Duck Dynasty

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So what is general consensus in this thread on who will be the GOP nominee (granted a lot could happen prior to nomination)

I believe it will be Jeb Bush as nominee

Jeb is loving up so much, I almost believe he will be the nominee, failing upwards, and all that.

I'm still big on dark-dimwitted horse Scott Walker

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So what is general consensus in this thread on who will be the GOP nominee (granted a lot could happen prior to nomination)

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

This is one of those things that confuses me. A lot of people are talking about how Bernie running and not getting the nomination is still good because it pushes Hilary left, but how does it actually do that? It might make Hillary's rhetoric more left, but how in any way does it force her actual policy and implementation leftward? We've already seen that a candidate can have plenty of good rhetoric about abolishing the corrupt status quo of Wall Street and single payer for all and not even pretend to attempt those things when they actually get into office (Obama). What actually makes Hilary do it? Certainly not promises she made on the campaign trail just to secure the nomination.

It's pure fantasy that Hillary's rhetoric is any indication of future intent. Lots of very gullible or very stupid democrats all put their Hillary-tinted glasses on hoping or believing otherwise. The partisans know it's bullshit but are too invested in Party Uber Alles to give a poo poo. It's worth noting that the sets of partisan, gullible and stupid democrats have an intersection that is not the empty set.

All the talk about the Overton Window is partially correct, but it didn't seem to last long after Obama was sworn in, so I'm not sure it would take hold this time, either.

Feather fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Only the classiest, most successful candidate ever will emerge victorious.

Uranium Phoenix posted:

This is one of those things that confuses me. A lot of people are talking about how Bernie running and not getting the nomination is still good because it pushes Hilary left, but how does it actually do that? It might make Hillary's rhetoric more left, but how in any way does it force her actual policy and implementation leftward? We've already seen that a candidate can have plenty of good rhetoric about abolishing the corrupt status quo of Wall Street and single payer for all and not even pretend to attempt those things when they actually get into office (Obama). What actually makes Hilary do it? Certainly not promises she made on the campaign trail just to secure the nomination.

The only thing potentially good part of Bernie running is if he succeeds in building an organized mass movement around his campaign that persists after he's done.

Ostensibly the idea is that people engaged by Sanders will maintain their interest in the election and pressure Clinton to adopt some of his platform, but that's a laughably naive view.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 2, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

I've noticed the left seems terrified of Rubio so I'm going with that.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jackson Taus posted:

Normally in these circumstances, losing the White House 4 times in a row would lead a party to reform, break up, or re-align. We saw the Republicans do basically that under Nixon (Southern Strategy) and the Democrats do that under Bill Clinton (Third Way).
The weird thing is that the Republicans haven't even started the process of trying to figure out why they keep losing Presidential election. There's no equivalent to the DLC or magazines like The New Republic or any efforts to change policy in any way - at every level, the party is convinced that the 1980 Reagan playbook is still effective and that any losses they've suffered can be traced to combination of evil opponents (George Soros, ACORN, the crooked mainstream media, massive voter fraud, skewed polls, etc.) and insufficient dedication to True 1980-style Conservatism. Their sprawling 2016 candidate list is made up of people who are 100% doctrinaire Reaganauts (cut taxes, loosen regulation, cut social spending, etc.).

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

The left doesn't view Rubio as a credible electoral threat. They're "terrified" of his far-right demi-facist radical ideology (same for all the other clowns in that car). Probably Jeb is the only credible electoral threat in that poo poo show this cycle, and since he's as dumb and incompetent as his big brother (or more so), from my perspective this presidential election is the democrats' to lose.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

The weird thing is that the Republicans haven't even started the process of trying to figure out why they keep losing Presidential election.

Because it doesn't really matter since they're institutionally all but guaranteed the House for several more cycles and can still take the Senate in midterms, plus governorships and state legislatures.

quote:

There's no equivalent to the DLC or magazines like The New Republic or any efforts to change policy in any way

What are you talking about? There's an entire media industry built around pushing the GOP further to the right.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Feather posted:

It's pure fantasy that Hillary's rhetoric is any indication of future intent. Lots of very gullible or very stupid democrats all put their Hillary-tinted glasses on hoping or believing otherwise. The partisans know it's bullshit but are too invested in Party Uber Alles to give a poo poo. All the talk about the Overton Window is partially correct, but it didn't seem to last long after Obama was sworn in, so I'm not sure it would take hold this time, either.

To be fair, you seem like the dictionary definition of a Jilted Democrat. (Is that still a thing people use?)

Again, I'm just being :corsair: here, but jaded idealism is no way to vote or run a diverse country. I and the adults in my life (including my parents who voted for Mondale fer chrissakes) have moved consistently to the left over the last decade.

How Obama handled his divided base of support in 08 is pure opinion, the outcome was largely what was possible given the circumstances.

People keep calling Obamacare a Republican plan (it wasn't) but even though it's insurance-company-friendly it includes protections that only a left-leaning party was ever going to put in place.

The insurance industry was never going away at that moment in time. What we have now is worlds better than what we had before. I was calling members of congress to protect the Public Option and I'm angry it was removed but it was traded for another feature. Plus it will have its day in the sun again.

Stop fighting the old fight, gear up for the next fight, and give cover to the only candidate that can start with the premise you most favor.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Jackson Taus posted:

Another major factor that cuts against parties holding the Presidency for a while is blame. At this stage, it's tougher and tougher for Barack Obama to say "well that was Bush's fault" or "it was like that when I got here" (even when it was blatantly Bush's fault), and Hillary won't be able to do that at all. So by the time 2024 rolls around, anything people are unhappy about in the government or economy or whatever will probably be seen as the Democrats' fault.

But that's not true, because of the exact thing you cite:

quote:

That said, to me the difference with 2024 to me would be the Tea Party Congress.

We have spent the last eight years hearing, yes, about The Evil Black Man In The White House, but we've also heard nothing but a long, continuous string of Congress being utterly incapable. That the folks in there now are historically the least effective, most childish people to ever hold the office. Blame it on Bush? Probably won't work. Blame it on Congress? Piece of cake, and reinforced on a daily basis by the continued inability for a party that holds both houses to pass basic legislation.

Going into the next election, the Dems can get out of a huge amount of disssatisfaction simply by pointing out that 1) the GOP controls both houses of Congress and 2) Congress has been laughably dysfunctional for years. They're super easy to blame for everything. "We wanted to fix INSERT ISSUE HERE but Congress decided instead to try to repeal Obamacare more than fifty times."

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

If she does co-opt their economic positions, then Bernie will have accomplished exactly what I wanted him to--push Hillary left.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/john-cassidy/bernie-sanders-a-man-with-a-cause

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I'd say the popular perception is being scared of Bush (because historical precedent), Walker (because on paper he seems like the next Ronald Reagan), Rubio (because he ticks the "young, Hispanic *and* Republican" checkmarks), and then the other grab bag of candidates.

This doesn't mean they're an actual threat, it's just who people see as a threat.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Though yeah, VP seems to be a dead end for anything except the Presidency. The last one to go back into office afterwards was Hubert Humphrey.

Well there haven't really been that many examples in modern times either way, and I think a big factor is that a lot of the prior VPs were older. If you're coming out of the VP-ship at 50 you have time to move laterally (if you think you can't win Presidency), but if you're 60+ coming out of the VP-ship it's a now-or-never type of thing.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

I'd say the popular perception is being scared of Bush (because historical precedent), Walker (because on paper he seems like the next Ronald Reagan), Rubio (because he ticks the "young, Hispanic *and* Republican" checkmarks), and then the other grab bag of candidates.

This doesn't mean they're an actual threat, it's just who people see as a threat.

The young minority ideologue vs crusty old white Senator.

I'm sure Dems will be sleeping well at night.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Pretty sure the only time anyone on the "left" thinks of Rubio is as the punchline to a joke involving drinking from a tiny water bottle, usually while forwarding Andy Borowitz articles to each other.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

Jackson Taus posted:

Another major factor that cuts against parties holding the Presidency for a while is blame. At this stage, it's tougher and tougher for Barack Obama to say "well that was Bush's fault" or "it was like that when I got here" (even when it was blatantly Bush's fault), and Hillary won't be able to do that at all. So by the time 2024 rolls around, anything people are unhappy about in the government or economy or whatever will probably be seen as the Democrats' fault.

But that's not true, because of the exact thing you cite:

quote:

That said, to me the difference with 2024 to me would be the Tea Party Congress.

We have spent the last eight years hearing, yes, about The Evil Black Man In The White House, but we've also heard nothing but a long, continuous string of Congress being utterly incapable. That the folks in there now are historically the least effective, most childish people to ever hold the office. Blame it on Bush? Probably won't work. Blame it on Congress? Piece of cake, and reinforced on a daily basis by the continued inability for a party that holds both houses to pass basic legislation.

Going into the next election, the Dems can get out of a huge amount of disssatisfaction simply by pointing out that 1) the GOP controls both houses of Congress and 2) Congress has been laughably dysfunctional for years. They're super easy to blame for everything. "We wanted to fix INSERT ISSUE HERE but Congress decided instead to try to repeal Obamacare more than fifty times."

I cover that in the following sentence: "there's a way for Obama/Hillary to keep blaming Republicans for stuff (not sure how effective that is though)". I'm somewhat skeptical that it'll be effective - it's easy to craft a message but does that message resonate?. I think the average voter (and for that matter many journalists) tend to assume that the President has more influence and control than he actually does. Sure, in the case of the shutdown, Obama was able to momentarily make Republicans slightly less popular, but it's not clear to me that blaming Republicans will be an electoral winner in 2024.

FMguru posted:

The weird thing is that the Republicans haven't even started the process of trying to figure out why they keep losing Presidential election. There's no equivalent to the DLC or magazines like The New Republic or any efforts to change policy in any way - at every level, the party is convinced that the 1980 Reagan playbook is still effective and that any losses they've suffered can be traced to combination of evil opponents (George Soros, ACORN, the crooked mainstream media, massive voter fraud, skewed polls, etc.) and insufficient dedication to True 1980-style Conservatism. Their sprawling 2016 candidate list is made up of people who are 100% doctrinaire Reaganauts (cut taxes, loosen regulation, cut social spending, etc.).

The way I see it, they kind of have. The difference is that whereas you and I think that they either need their own Bill Clinton (to move them to a more palatable center) or another Nixon (to find a wedge-issue to realign them demographically), they've come to the conclusion that they need a new Reagan - someone who is a fierce advocate of their existing values in their most extreme form and who triumphs by selling their existing values to the public. The true believers on both sides routinely overestimate the public's level of support for their values - just as many of us here are convinced that America either supports our issues or would support them if packaged decently, hardcore Republicans believe that the only thing stopping Americans from embracing conservatism for all time is a failure to message it properly (or a conspiracy theory). In a sense, both sides are correct - when you distill either platform down to just basic core value stuff it's all Motherhood-and-Apple-Pie and relatively unobjectionable. Like nobody is going to say that "economic freedom" or "a moral society" are bad, but they object to policies like "abolish the FDA" and "give Christians the right to discriminate" that grow out of those core values.

Not really. Sooner or later the Republican candidate will open their mouth and it won't matter what the rest of him looks like. Either he'll stick to party line stuff that doesn't sell well in the general electorate or he'll moderate himself and the base won't turn up nearly as strong.

Jackson Taus fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

quote:

As the campaign progresses, it will be fascinating to see how far this effort succeeds. Already, Clinton has shifted her stance on immigration reform and the criminal-justice system. In two recent speeches, she pledged to extend President Obama’s initiatives aimed at undocumented workers and their families, and called for an end to mass incarceration.

Although each of these policy proposals is important in its own right, neither would cost the Democratic Party’s donor class any money. The political test for Clinton will come in the area of economic policy, where Sanders has put out a comprehensive and, by American standards, quite radical manifesto. It includes reforming the tax code to make the rich pay more, raising the federal minimum wage to fifteen dollars an hour, reforming trade policies, breaking up the big banks, and turning Medicare into a public health-care system for Americans of all ages.

When Sanders unveiled this plan last December, I pointed out that it isn’t all at variance with the policies of the Clinton-Obama wing of the party. Virtually all Democrats support raising the minimum wage and eliminating some of the tax breaks for the rich, for instance. In these areas, and others, Clinton should be able to find common ground with progressives. But the question remains: In positioning herself as a battler for the middle class, how far to the left will she go?

Good article. Bolded areas echo my own thoughts on the matter. I'll remain hopeful for now.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

The left is not terrified by Rubio, you're just seeing what you want to see, possibly due to a debilitating brain injury earlier in life.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

If you assume that all non-whites are equal and only care if the candidate is non-white (note: not even of their race, just not white), then yeah I can see why that might be troubling.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Is this how Clinton's gonna use Abedin?

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So apparently there's an economic summit going on in Florida for the candidates:

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/wftv-live-event-1/v7PNh/

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

We're just going to co-opt the left's tactic and blame everything on the "obstructionist" Executive.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

computer parts posted:

If you assume that all non-whites are equal and only care if the candidate is non-white (note: not even of their race, just not white), then yeah I can see why that might be troubling.

I mean all we really need is a small percentage of non-white likely voters to sit out and we're golden.

So not necessarily like "cool, I'll vote for Rubio" but "ugh both choices seem gross I'm going to get my car detailed on my lunch break instead".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I mean all we really need is a small percentage of non-white likely voters to sit out and we're golden.

So not necessarily like "cool, I'll vote for Rubio" but "ugh both choices seem gross I'm going to get my car detailed on my lunch break instead".

So Hispanics disgust non-white voters now?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

FMguru posted:

They created that "autopsy report" after the election loss in 2012 that actually had some decent suggestions, they just never made even the slightest attempt to implement them. I think they have some idea what they would need to do, they just don't want to do it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The "left" isn't terrified, but yes, I think you're correct that the democrats are concerned regarding that particular demographic/geographic combination. It basically locks down Florida for the republicans and has the potential to secure some number of latino voters. On the other hand, Rubio does have plenty of weaknesses to exploit (inexperience, dependency on a benefactor, looks too young, etc.)

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Joementum posted:

Woah, slow down Scotty. Between this and the circus peanuts I'm not sure I can handle the thrills of your campaign.

Vice President Guy Fieri

Classic winner material, the Instagram-style food shot on Twitter. That will REALLY get the electorate's blood going!

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Nonsense posted:

2006 Joementum
2008 Ron Paul ReLOVEution
2010 2nd Contract with America
2012 Duck Dynasty

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jackson Taus posted:

The way I see it, they kind of have. The difference is that whereas you and I think that they either need their own Bill Clinton (to move them to a more palatable center) or another Nixon (to find a wedge-issue to realign them demographically), they've come to the conclusion that they need a new Reagan - someone who is a fierce advocate of their existing values in their most extreme form and who triumphs by selling their existing values to the public. The true believers on both sides routinely overestimate the public's level of support for their values - just as many of us here are convinced that America either supports our issues or would support them if packaged decently, hardcore Republicans believe that the only thing stopping Americans from embracing conservatism for all time is a failure to message it properly (or a conspiracy theory). In a sense, both sides are correct - when you distill either platform down to just basic core value stuff it's all Motherhood-and-Apple-Pie and relatively unobjectionable. Like nobody is going to say that "economic freedom" or "a moral society" are bad, but they object to policies like "abolish the FDA" and "give Christians the right to discriminate" that grow out of those core values.
Daydreaming about a New Reagan to descend from the clouds and carry them off to the land of landslide electoral victories is just another way of avoiding the issue (that the demographics of the presidential electorate have turned decisively against the Republicans and that this demographic change still has a long way to run). Democrats did this in the 1970s and 1980s, endless wishing for "another JFK" who would dazzle and inspire and heal all the rifts of the post-civil right Democratic Party (to the point of running his drunk and disorganized younger brother in a catastrophic insurgent campaign against a sitting Democratic president). It didn't work for them, and it's not going to work for the GOP.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

FMguru posted:

Their sprawling 2016 candidate list is made up of people who are 100% doctrinaire Reaganauts (cut taxes, loosen regulation, cut social spending, etc.).

It's funny because even Rand Paul, the most "out there" of the candidates, is doctrinaire Reagan in that sense.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Reagan movement was basically built on "no, gently caress adapting to change god damnit this is AMERICA and change would be admitting we're wrong" so it would follow that the party would be incredibly resistant to admitting flaws, let alone fixing them. It's all just poo poo about messaging, which is literally "LET ME PUT IT IN TERMS YOU (BLACKS/WOMEN/ETC) CAN UNDEESTAND..." on a party platform level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MaxxBot posted:

They created that "autopsy report" after the election loss in 2012 that actually had some decent suggestions, they just never made even the slightest attempt to implement them. I think they have some idea what they would need to do, they just don't want to do it.

The thing that gets me is how much since 2008 the GOP has focused in on its messaging, rather than the message itself. Time and again we hear GOP figures going on about how they need to retool how they communicate their vision to the parts of the electorate that don't vote for them, rather than spending much, if any, time examining if that vision actually holds any real appeal for those outside their eroding base.

Vox Nihili posted:

The "left" isn't terrified, but yes, I think you're correct that the democrats are concerned regarding that particular demographic/geographic combination. It basically locks down Florida for the republicans and has the potential to secure some number of latino voters. On the other hand, Rubio does have plenty of weaknesses to exploit (inexperience, dependency on a benefactor, looks too young, etc.)

I'm not convinced Rubio actually is likely to move a significant percentage of the latino vote, both as he reeks of tokenism only somewhat less than figures like Carson and Fiona, and also as the son of Cuban ex-pats I don't know how closely anyone other than the Cuban ex-pat subset will identify with him.

• Locked thread