Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

WitchFetish posted:

Let's release a new T10 american medium tank... but make it so only poopsockers can get it!!!!! loving genius 10/10

Seriously though Domination is pretty fun, but I kinda wish I could take the flag from my retarded teammates who don't even drive towards caps.

I only got a couple matches in before work today but yeah it's drat fun. I'll probably play the poo poo out of it for a while.

I really wish there were a permanent CTF match type anyway but I assume this one ends in a few weeks :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: also, Armored Warfare update. The t-62 modeled in game still has a log. However, unlike in WoT, the log doubles as a mudflap.

Hey Juffo if you are playing on NA, BigHeadline and I are in alpha as well. We played a few rounds last night and our final match in T62's BH ripped the enemy team a new rear end in a top hat killing 8 of them laughing all the way to the bank. He claims he was shaking at the end when he was being stalked by an AMX and Scorpion who were circling him within spitting range trying to kill him but I doubt it because he was pretty clutch during the last few minutes of chaos.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

I haven't played in a couple weeks thanks to the witcher and I logged in Sunday add didn't recognize a single person in my clan. How are my chances of getting a reward tank?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DonkeyHotay posted:

I haven't played in a couple weeks thanks to the witcher and I logged in Sunday add didn't recognize a single person in my clan. How are my chances of getting a reward tank?

Depends on attendance. For instance - PINGU could barely field one team yesterday. If you get into every battle it doesn't really matter how much your clan wins you're going to get enough fame points, which is good because -G- and PINGU seem to have trouble winning.

From what I hear it's tier eights for the event, it'll start June 10 and last ten days, and will be a total clusterfuck otherwise like usual.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
New way to play domination:

-Play with a full platoon.

-Grab the flag.

-Drive away from the cap and make the other team chase.

-Make them push into a bunch of guns.

Queue 45k damage for your platoon.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Are you able to form stronghold teams made up entirely of random people or is it locked down pretty hard for clan vs clan? Sometimes I just want to do some tier 6 strongholds in a premium to make quick credits.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I made a thing which you can use, check the 2pac pgs thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582837&pagenumber=97#lastpost

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I've seen some really good advice here recently on getting better at tanks. One recurring suggestion is learning the maps and the different "plays" you can make. My question is: how do you learn the maps? Or what's the best way to learn the maps quickly? I wish there was some way I could just drive around on them in a private room to learn the terrain. I assume this isn't possible.

I've watched some of the map breakdowns on QuickyBaby's youtube channel and even marked some spots on maps that I've downloaded, but this applies to like 5 or 6 maps. When I actually hit a couple of these maps at random, I feel like I played WAY better, and I had by far my best game in quite a while after seeing a breakdown of where to be on Airfield.

I just feel like I'm pretty terrible at tanks and the primary reason is getting myself into ridiculously terrible positions on the map. Although, to be honest, I don't know where to shoot a lot of tanks. So, I kind of default to lower front plate whenever I encounter them head-on.

Also, I've been playing for something like 5 years and only have 2k games, leaving and coming back many times. So, that probably has something to do with it. I just never learn the maps that well and get into a groove in particular tanks. (I have two tanks with 200+ games, and those are 56% and 61% WR respectively)

I really want to platoon more so I can learn where to go, but I feel like TS is often times fairly empty, and when I speak up in goon chat, generally I hear crickets. How do I play more with goons? :cry:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I like your thing. Also I hate the way they do the map rotation in this game.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
Here are three good resources for learning where to go on maps:

The classic guide that isn't super detailed, but can be helpful as a quick reference when your match is loading: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/2760-okeano-rexxies-guide-on-where-not-go-to-on-maps-updated-11215/

More detailed map reviews, but haven't been updated recently so its missing maps like overlord and missing any changes to game flow that might result from recent map changes: http://wotguru.com/map-strategy/

Finally, what is shaping up to be the best resource is Kolnidur's map guides that he's working on right now. He hasn't covered all the maps yet, but his guides are the best I've seen: http://forum.wotlabs.net/index.php?/topic/19811-kolni-goes-through-the-wot-maps/

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

This site is also good for general areas to go on maps. You can filter it by class as well so you can see how spots for TD's differ from meds for example.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Haquer posted:

:psyduck:

E: and right after that he said "felt like a coffee"

ive done this for coffee and weed. fu man

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

demonR6 posted:

Hey Juffo if you are playing on NA, BigHeadline and I are in alpha as well. We played a few rounds last night and our final match in T62's BH ripped the enemy team a new rear end in a top hat killing 8 of them laughing all the way to the bank. He claims he was shaking at the end when he was being stalked by an AMX and Scorpion who were circling him within spitting range trying to kill him but I doubt it because he was pretty clutch during the last few minutes of chaos.

I shake like a loving leaf in a gale-force wind whenever I'm left to carry a team. I usually need 10-15 minutes after to settle.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

guidoanselmi posted:

ive done this for coffee weed.

:snoop:

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

rossmum posted:

I shake like a loving leaf in a gale-force wind whenever I'm left to carry a team. I usually need 10-15 minutes after to settle.

I am usually shaking my head at my idiot team who left me in that situation.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

kemikalkadet posted:

http://www.vbaddict.net/heatmaps/

This site is also good for general areas to go on maps. You can filter it by class as well so you can see how spots for TD's differ from meds for example.

One thing to note about the heatmaps is that they are best used to tell you where the pubbies are likely to go. They don't always tell you where you should go given where the pubbies are going.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

guidoanselmi posted:

ive done this for coffee and weed. fu man

So don't click the big red battle button before you get your coffeeweed?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CompeAnansi posted:

One thing to note about the heatmaps is that they are best used to tell you where the pubbies are likely to go. They don't always tell you where you should go given where the pubbies are going.

My biggest problem with the heatmaps is that every heatmap is basically the same regardless of tank class other than SPG. There are some minor exceptions like mediums charging the hill on Karelia but other than that its like "yep, people go everywhere"

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Haquer posted:

So don't click the big red battle button before you get your coffeeweed?

Going AFK while waiting for a queue is a time honored video game tradition and if you can't deal with it you shouldn't play video games.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Well, the T-54 finally clicked with me this weekend. 63% WR this weekend with quite a few 5,000 damage games. T-54 is stronk.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Reason posted:

Going AFK while waiting for a queue is a time honored video game tradition and if you can't deal with it you shouldn't play video games.

Yes, the 14 second queues are a real drag

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Reason posted:

I've never had a queue longer than 30 seconds in wot so I guess it just doesn't make sense to get up after hitting battle :shrug:

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

quote:

- T-34-85 Rudy's S-53 gun has improved penetration because "it has different shells";
- Rudy's gun is also more accurate than regular T-34-85's gun because "the tank is manned by a mega-crew and a dog";

Wargaming :allears:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

rudy is my tank waifu http://a.pomf.se/hyzxys.webm

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

hmm domination crashes to desktop for me with solomod. OMC doesn't have that nifty autoaim in it, right?

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

God I love my Rudy. I have a higher win rate in the CromB, but I think I play better in the Rudy. I think because it doesn't go as fast, so I don't get too far out in front of everyone.

Also- if you aren't listening to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU1stt0okdM, you are playing the Rudy wrong :colbert:

e- yes there is an autoaim mod in OMC.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
After 20 games in my Rudy, I have a 35% win rate. I love the tank but my teams don't.

A typical game includes me dueling with a couple enemy tanks before being shot in the back and dying. It's about then that I realize that my entire team has mysteriously evaporated over the course of 3 minutes, allowing the enemy team to come full circle around the flank I wasn't protecting. It's kind of amazing, actually.

It's true that I do tend to tunnel-vision and lose track of what my team is doing, but holy hell. I have terrible terrible games in the Rudy.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BadLlama posted:

Well, the T-54 finally clicked with me this weekend. 63% WR this weekend with quite a few 5,000 damage games. T-54 is stronk.

Please give tips, because I completely shat the bed in mine this weekend and did worse than I have done since putting the best gun on. It didn't help that my teams were basically just rotting whale carcasses ticking down to the inevitable necro-splosion. But still, I was sucking the big fat ones.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Please give tips, because I completely shat the bed in mine this weekend and did worse than I have done since putting the best gun on. It didn't help that my teams were basically just rotting whale carcasses ticking down to the inevitable necro-splosion. But still, I was sucking the big fat ones.

You are a bully tank. Go bully. You bully...

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Basically, drive to where you can shoot at red tanks, especially anywhere that lets you get hull down. Bring plenty of AP and HEAT. Then select the ammo you need to reliably penetrate the red tanks. Shoot them every ~7 seconds and rack up a shitload of damage. Bully lower tier tanks without exposing your sides to them. Ram anything that's lighter than you whenever you're 1v1. Flank when possible and shoot things in the side or back.

It plays almost exactly like the T-44, except that you can bully things that have low/mediocre pen much more easily.

IMO it's important to conserve your HP early in the game. This is true for any tank, but it's especially true in the T-54 which is capable of carrying in mid and late game. They're so mobile and flexible that you can pull off some impressive carries, but it helps to be able to tank a couple shots. Don't try to brawl early in the game unless you're up against significantly inferior tanks and you can prevent them from shooting your soft sides.

If you get a team that lemmings in one direction, DO NOT try to hold the opposite flank by yourself. Write it off and go with your team so you can farm damage. You aren't holding a flank by yourself unless the enemy team is really, really bad.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

This is your fault: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=451739495

:suicide:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

rossmum posted:

My most stressful game ever was a 10 kill carry in the Sherman III on Karkov. Half of those after almost everyone was dead and I was low on hp (our Churchill hid behind a building in our base for the ENTIRE game). And the last enemy was an almost full health KV-1 who was capping us out. He almost got to 100% TWICE because I had to drive around most of the map to flank him after the first reset.

I needed a long break after that one.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Uranium 235 posted:

If you get a team that lemmings in one direction, DO NOT try to hold the opposite flank by yourself. Write it off and go with your team so you can farm damage. You aren't holding a flank by yourself unless the enemy team is really, really bad.

I wish my buddy would listen to me on this point. His complaint is always "but we'll lose" and I can't make him understand that yes we might lose but you'll get far more xp/credits by losing via farming damage rather than being in a paper thin SU-152 trying to hold a flank solo.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
If you don't average like 1400 damage per game in the Rudy I don't even know what to say to you. The Fury, the Cromwell B and the Rudy are pretty much the holy trinity of medium tanks but the Rudy really stands out as the God Almighty. It has no flaws whatsoever except maybe a sorta slow-ish aimtime. A little while ago we discussed which tank does best when bottom tier, and I think the Rudy/T-34-85 is definitely a strong contender. It has an amazing gun and the camo and mobility are perfectly acceptable even at tier 8.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

way ahead of you

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
so, dominion is absolutely maddening to play because pubbies are too stupid to wrap their heads around the notion that a single cap is worth more than the team's kills for the entire match. That and matches running out the full clock making it worthless as a way of earning money. I mean gently caress sake the entire thing is an excuse to go full retard and get away with it and the one time the game mechanics encourage pubbies to do it they somehow manage not to.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Uranium 235 posted:

IMO it's important to conserve your HP early in the game. This is true for any tank, but it's especially true in the T-54 which is capable of carrying in mid and late game. They're so mobile and flexible that you can pull off some impressive carries, but it helps to be able to tank a couple shots. Don't try to brawl early in the game unless you're up against significantly inferior tanks and you can prevent them from shooting your soft sides.

Yeah I think this is exactly what I was loving up to be honest. Being too aggressive early on and giving away too much health/getting into stupid pyrrhic fights. And also trying to hold refused flanks. Which is annoying because it means I've managed to forget everything that made me reasonably good in the T-44 while taking a sabbatical in the lower tiers.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I can't teamkill a flag carrier huddled in a corner refusing to do anything :cripes:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

yaay posted:

I can't teamkill a flag carrier huddled in a corner refusing to do anything :cripes:

Story of my multiplayer gaming life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Haquer posted:

:psyduck:

E: and right after that he said "felt like a coffee"

he's got the right idea when playing this game