Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

kiimo posted:

She'll always be the idiot who eats dirt and suntans her vagina to me. :colbert:

How is this news to you if you live in California, that's every fourth person here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

MikeJF posted:

Also the fact that the story metaphor is about how the target audience are the evil Capitol while Chinese sweatshop laborers and African farmers are the oppressed good guy rebels.

I don't think it's a coincidence that in a summer in the midst of an economic recession and mounting tensions about class inquality and income disparity a movie about a white guy who takes a nap and wakes up with super powers that let him take over a planet with ease failed to find an audience but a movie about a poor girl struggling to fight the system from within became a smash hit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wait, what was the first one?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Sleeveless posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that in a summer in the midst of an economic recession and mounting tensions about class inquality and income disparity a movie about a white guy who takes a nap and wakes up with super powers that let him take over a planet with ease failed to find an audience but a movie about a poor girl struggling to fight the system from within became a smash hit.

Hunger Games wasn't a summer movie.

Saturniid19
Aug 1, 2006
brought to you by North Central Positronics

Waffleman_ posted:

Wait, what was the first one?

John Carter?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe you can write a dystopian YA parody, "the adventures of Mary Sue in the horrible future that is based on a fairly dumb ideological concept taken to extreme".

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah I don't think it was the economy that stopped John Carter from succeeding. It was more the being boring as gently caress.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

TetsuoTW posted:

Yeah I don't think it was the economy that stopped John Carter from succeeding. It was more the being boring as gently caress.

You're parents are very disappointed with your opinions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TetsuoTW posted:

The poo poo marketing didn't help, and how the gently caress was it boring? It was a pretty decent fusion of Princess of Mars and Gods of Mars and had plenty of action.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The marketing made it look boring as poo poo.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

achillesforever6 posted:

I need to really work on writing a generic dystopian YA series that can be made into a movie and pay off my student loans.

Actually screw dystopians they are all the same, how bout a book where a guy who is given the opportunity to be a champion of Athena as he has to run a gauntlet of the other Greek gods champions who are different times of history (Dionysus' being a coked out 80s pro wrestler, Hermes' 1920's pulp master thief, Hera's being Alexander the Great) until main character has to defeat Heracles so that Athena can take the throne since she was supposed to succeed the throne from Zeus until Christianity came along and killed the fun Greek Mythology party.

I'm sure I can write 3 books of that and corner that YA market.

Throw in the idea that humans are/were supposed to be one human before Zeus hosed it up, and add in a young woman/love interest to run the gauntlet. You'll get all my monies just for that. You could have Artemis and Apollo backstabbing each other and helping/hurting the two humans' progress.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

She'll always be the idiot who eats dirt and suntans her vagina to me. :colbert:

Hey now, it's not cool to make fun of someone with Pica.

I really like the third Hunger Games movie. It has its less sophisticated parts, but overall I think it's neat how challenging it is to its audience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
She doesn't have pica, she eats dirt because she believes it has health benefits iirc

e: and the poo poo like suntanning her vagina owns

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

I need to really work on writing a generic dystopian YA series that can be made into a movie and pay off my student loans.

Actually screw dystopians they are all the same, how bout a book where a guy who is given the opportunity to be a champion of Athena as he has to run a gauntlet of the other Greek gods champions who are different times of history (Dionysus' being a coked out 80s pro wrestler, Hermes' 1920's pulp master thief, Hera's being Alexander the Great) until main character has to defeat Heracles so that Athena can take the throne since she was supposed to succeed the throne from Zeus until Christianity came along and killed the fun Greek Mythology party.

I'm sure I can write 3 books of that and corner that YA market.

As a comic or as a YA novel there is real potential there. Hell there's even a solid arena video game in there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, it's basically a standard shonen anime/manga plotline. Honestly kinda gives me Saint Seiya vibes with the Greek myth theme and JoJo vibes with the quirky-rear end villains in particular. It's pretty well-trod ground over in Japan, but I don't think very much western stuff uses that kind of forumla, so it's worth a shot.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It would be right at home in the third party Western comics market. Think along the lines of Image. It could also easily fit a tween market. It's a fairly flexible premise tonally.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm just saying, "plucky teen bumblefucks into superpowers and must use them to fight a gauntlet of quirky villains" is pretty much one of the archetypical shonen plots.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

bumblefucks into superpowers
Greatest American Hero reboot please.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What killed John Carter was marketing.

I follow entertainment news sites and CineD and all that. I found out it had been released when I saw it in a Redbox.

So 95% of people probably thought it was a cheap direct to video movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

What killed John Carter was marketing.

I follow entertainment news sites and CineD and all that. I found out it had been released when I saw it in a Redbox.

So 95% of people probably thought it was a cheap direct to video movie.

I agree it had terrible marketing, in terms of style. But I saw millions of trailers of it when it was coming out. If you follow entertainment sites and really only knew it was out after seeing it at Redbox, then I'm gonna pin that one on you.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Yeah, Disney probably marketed their $260,000,000 summer blockbuster.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Chief posted:

Yeah, Disney probably marketed their $260,000,000 summer blockbuster.

Who can forget the summer of John Carter? The toys, the magazine covers, the wall to wall ads, the Burger King Tars Tarkas whopper, the stars of the movie doing a marketing blitz on the late night talk shows, the embedded audio pop up ads, the video game tie-in, the webcomic series, and the Carmike Cinemas collectable drink cups.

Oh no wait, they basically threw out a trailer and washed their hands of it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hmm, yes, I see. Clearly John Carter was marketed as well as The Avengers. It had a soundtrack and some thing that probably only sold ten copies on thinkgeek or whatever niche website. And do my eyes deceive me? A poster?!

What kid wouldn't want a limited run collectable whatever that is?

Meanwhile, back in reality, an example of Disney marketing:

In conclusion, you're literally dumber than dog poo poo if you think John Carter wasn't horrendously marketed.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The marketing budget was $100,000,000. It doesn't mean it was good or effective but it was there.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Chief posted:

The marketing budget was $100,000,000. It doesn't mean it was good or effective but it was there.

The budget could have been a billion dollars and they bought every Super Bowl commercial spot.

Still means gently caress all when you're marketing a kids movie by not marketing it to kids.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You guys are agreeing.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Jay Rust posted:

You guys are agreeing.

I know, but dingus is doing it wrong.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I still can't tell if this is a real movie or not.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Kenny Rogers in:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Will, are you really that hard up already?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Waffleman_ posted:

Lifetime made a parody of Lifetime movies. I seriously can't wait for this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Will Ferrell looking like Richard Karn in that poster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I believe they decided to make a Lifetime movie for shits and giggles and they were just going to release it and see what happened but then predictably word got out because why the hell wouldn't it and now they are marketing it and there's this weird middle ground where yep you've made a Lifetime movie now that the joke is dead.

Could be funny thought.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Waffleman_ posted:

Will Ferrell looking like Richard Karn in that poster.

Yeah, a bit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Will Farrell has a history of just doing weird projects, like you know, a Spanish language movie or extremely local ads for Old Milwaukee beer.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I really respect Casa de Mi Padre.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

The MSJ posted:

I still can't tell if this is a real movie or not.

I hope the actors play the movie straight and just let the Lifetime stupidness provide it's own comedy.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jay Rust posted:

You guys are agreeing.

Not really, one is saying it failed because of mismarketing and the other is saying mismarketing had nothing to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

muscles like this? posted:

Will Farrell has a history of just doing weird projects, like you know, a Spanish language movie or extremely local ads for Old Milwaukee beer.

Don't forget The Spoils of Babylon.

June 20th is a Saturday, but maybe that's part of the joke?