Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
you can tell if a probation/ban is admin-approved because it says so in the right-hand column of the leper's colony.

SedanChair posted:

why you like picture of man in square

lotta underused and under-appreciated smilies out there :spiderguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

why would the admins (peace be upon them) ever accept all your grudge bans :how:

grudge bans are dumb but most of those posters mentioned could easily provide a pretext for the patient grudge-banner

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah, this happened:

The person who shot at George Zimmerman is white, so he may actually be able to pull off a SYG defense.

I sorta want the guy to successfully win his SYG defense.

If zimmerman gets shot and the person gets off by claiming that zimmerman scared them because of his reputation as a murderer and they were defending themselves.. well id just poop myself laughing. just one long series of streamy high force laugh poops.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

sudo rm -rf posted:

can you do less than 6 hours.

or are there pre-set times
It's pre-set times. Probation times are 6 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, 1 month, or 100,000 hours (11.3 years). The last one is a essentially a perma-ban, and not really used all that often.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What was the last perma probation

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Spaceman Future! posted:

If zimmerman gets shot and the person gets off by claiming that zimmerman scared them because of his reputation as a murderer and they were defending themselves.. well id just poop myself laughing. just one long series of streamy high force laugh poops.

seen a case where a guy was basically george zimmerman levels of violent but never sanctioned because he had connections with the police. someone shot him to death, claimed it was in defense and cited his violent past. police hosed with the evidence so it didn't work, he was convicted. i predict a similar end to the zimmerman saga. the fact that we got this close already just confirms the theory i've had since zimm was acquitted

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
community had an amazing episode this week

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Jagchosis posted:

seen a case where a guy was basically george zimmerman levels of violent but never sanctioned because he had connections with the police. someone shot him to death, claimed it was in defense and cited his violent past. police hosed with the evidence so it didn't work, he was convicted. i predict a similar end to the zimmerman saga. the fact that we got this close already just confirms the theory i've had since zimm was acquitted

can you please comment re: the scotus decision about online threats

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Literally The Worst posted:

sexgun rasputin i think. he had a mental breakdown after getting a six hour probation from then-BYOB IK Matoi Ryuko

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
:bape:you forgot the almost entirely pointless 12 hour, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJubf9y45g

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

this is a question i feel for some reason fishmech already has a canned response to but were postal shootings in the mid nineties a real phenomena or highly publicized individual incidents/string of copy cats, and if the former why did they stop

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

i wish there were 15 mins probations

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Exclamation Marx posted:

:bape:you forgot the almost entirely pointless 12 hour, but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DJubf9y45g
Huh, I didn't know that actually existed.

I was going off of memory and the last page of the Leper's Colony (which hilariously has every single probation time I listed except the 100,000 hour one)

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

du er en mus blant elefanter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Berke Negri posted:

this is a question i feel for some reason fishmech already has a canned response to but were postal shootings in the mid nineties a real phenomena or highly publicized individual incidents/string of copy cats, and if the former why did they stop

The 80s and yes, why they stopped I'm shrugging at

But yeah they were an actual thing through the 80s and early 90s. There's a docu about it whose name I forget right now where they talk about the second one, the really famous one where the guy walked in and made a point of killing the bosses, and in all the news footage everyone is basically going I don't want to say they deserved it but

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

jeg bor ikki i Norge, men jeg elsker norsk

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

sudo rm -rf posted:

i wish there were 15 mins probations

gassing a thread gives one to the op, or at least it used to.

fade5 posted:

Huh, I didn't know that actually existed.

I was going off of memory and the last page of the Leper's Colony (which hilariously has every single probation time I listed except the 100,000 hour one)

shoulda looked at page 2 — i think aa is trying to bring it back, and in a big way

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Berke Negri posted:

There were a series of in the late 80's and early 90's and then they more or less stopped. There's some interesting theories on why they happened, though like any crime or event, the actual prevalence is magnified by media attention on them.

They basically became a microcosm for work-place related killings. The actual rate of homicides for postal workers was lower than other industries.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like if you've ever wanted to watch people torn between hating their boss and feeling bad for victims of a spree killer comma that is the poo poo to watch

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

sudo rm -rf posted:

jeg bor ikki i Norge, men jeg elsker norsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmOdI80sC5U

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

There were a series of in the late 80's and early 90's and then they more or less stopped. There's some interesting theories on why they happened, though like any crime or event, the actual prevalence is magnified by media attention on them.

They basically became a microcosm for work-place related killings. The actual rate of homicides for postal workers was lower than other industries.

i bet it's because of email

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
W

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

i was under the impression that the commonly accepted theory for why they happened was a shift in post office management style and a rise in automation leading to everyone having to meet quotas and it just drove people nuts

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

det kom fra innenfor veggene

:ohdear:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It gets requested sometimes by people who get banned a lot and want to read the forums without eating a perma

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Exclamation Marx posted:

shoulda looked at page 2 — i think aa is trying to bring it back, and in a big way
Huh, so he is.

I've been sorta out of the loop since I was on family vacation for a couple of weeks

When did AA become a mod exactly?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Volkerball posted:

It gets requested sometimes by people who get banned a lot and want to read the forums without eating a perma

Why don't they just

Stop posting

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

W

i was under the impression that the commonly accepted theory for why they happened was a shift in post office management style and a rise in automation leading to everyone having to meet quotas and it just drove people nuts

The later analysis hasn't been as clear though since the actual rate of violence among postal workers is relatively low.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Why don't they just

Stop posting

why

dont you

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

fade5 posted:

Oh yeah, this happened:

The person who shot at George Zimmerman is white, so he may actually be able to pull off a SYG defense.

I sorta want the guy to successfully win his SYG defense.

my distaste for George Z aside, i kind of hope this guy doesnt get off by invoking a hosed up antisocial law

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

i bet it's because of email

exchange servers cost more lives than mailmen ever did RIP

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

W

could leaded gasoline be a cause as well

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

so im reviewing the linkedin profiles of some of these people i'll be working with and the one guys got all these really weird poo poo that you wouldnt expect a normal human being to put on linkedin. like theres literally a section on causes(vague and generalized) they care about and its like cool so you're not a sociopathic weirdo, or at least you are one trying to blend in.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

why hello potential future employers, i care about human rights and poverty alleviation, which goes well with my green belt in six sigma

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i care about, er, trees

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Why don't they just

Stop posting

Because shitpostin is in their dna. It's like asking why aa doesn't just respect Ethiopian Jews as equals. It just doesn't compute.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

can you please comment re: the scotus decision about online threats

i think it was correctly decided even if it gives people more leeway to be assholes. the issue was whether the standard should be that the person issuing the alleged threats intended them to be genuine threats or whether the audience reasonably interpreted them as such. the court went with the former because they felt that it could lead to criminal liability for negligently threatening someone but left the door open for liability for those that recklessly or intentionally threaten someone. they didn't like that because negligent acts are seldom crimes unless there's serious harm, like someone dying. the difference between negligence and recklessness is that with negligence the defendant was too dumb to foresee the consequences but should have, and with reckless they knew the risk but didn't give a gently caress

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im concerned about *glances nonchalantly at inside of wrist* "the destruction of community cohesiveness in underserved areabs" uh, "areas", i mean.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The 80s and yes, why they stopped I'm shrugging at

But yeah they were an actual thing through the 80s and early 90s. There's a docu about it whose name I forget right now where they talk about the second one, the really famous one where the guy walked in and made a point of killing the bosses, and in all the news footage everyone is basically going I don't want to say they deserved it but

I think Berkowitz also played a part in making postal employees seem crazy.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i too enjoy forming lasting relationships with other people and can relate to their problems in a social context. also im a results-driven team player with a can-do attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lol swamp thing, I always though the insane asylum issue was literally just an asylum but it's specifically s home for autistic kids

Never mind that it's like the furthest thing from autism ever

Still the spookiest goddamn comic

• Locked thread